The Psychology Involved With The Suns Winning The Next 3

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
We just obliterated the Spurs and Amare and Nash were nowhere near as dominant as they can be. I feel like we have not even begun to play our best basketball because right now Nash has been struggling the last few games.

The most important issue with beating the Spurs is containing their dribble penetration and guarding Duncan one on one. If you can do that, and continue to exploit our mismatches on the offensive end, then we can win the rest of the games. I love to look at the mental aspect of winning and losing, because I feel that plays a much bigger role than people realize. So for that reason we need too;

• We need to beat San Antonio in game 5 at the last second.
Right now the Spurs have such a mental edge on the Suns that if it's close in the last few minutes/seconds we don't feel confident we can win. If we could turn that around we won't have that feeling like we have to always have a 30 point lead to feel "safe". This would allow us to have beaten them twice in a row, once by blowing them out and then by winning a close one in San Antonio. That's a major confidence boost. We'd then proceed to blow them out again at home (Because hey, we did it before) and have enough confidence to win in San Antonio for the last game. Sounds far fetched.. Yeah, but I'm gonna predict this to happen;

• Game 5 - Suns win 98-95
  • Game 6 - Suns win 120 - 90
  • Game 7 - Suns win 101 - 99
Let's get it done! Go Sunz!

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
The key is to play with the lead. Go ape chet with the defense in the 1st 9 mins and get a cushion. If the Spurs play ahead, they will just keep piling on. Their guys will get too confident and even the role players will knock down big shots. In game 3, Manu took so many 3s because of the safety net their lead created.

The Spurs played from behind in the first 2 games and still managed to win so its gonna be hard but if they give the effort on D like they did today, they can pull it out.

Rekindled

Rookie
Reaction score
The key is to play with the lead. Go ape chet with the defense in the 1st 9 mins and get a cushion. If the Spurs play ahead, they will just keep piling on. Their guys will get too confident and even the role players will knock down big shots. In game 3, Manu took so many 3s because of the safety net their lead created.

The Spurs played from behind in the first 2 games and still managed to win so its gonna be hard but if they give the effort on D like they did today, they can pull it out.

Actually the key is to get the lead first.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

The reason the Suns have to maintain a large lead in the game is simple - Bruce Bowen is less an offensive threat, and sits to allow a better shooter time to play. Bowen is Nash's worst enemy. He harasses Nash and makes Nash look 10 years older than he really is.

The ONE thing I saw in Game 4 that has been missing from the Suns over the years - D'Antoni called TOs when the Spurs started making a run. I don't think too many really appreciate how HUGE this really is! That is something that idiot coach never did years prior. NEVER. He did is twice in the 1st half, and it stopped potential runs by the Spurs... none bigger was the TO when the Spurs closed in to 12 (or was it 11) early in the 2nd quarter.

There are too many 'ifs' to make a four game winning streak plausible against the defending champs. That is the real truth. However, if there is one team in the league that underachieves against this team, that stands some 'universal' Karma, it is the Suns. Think how much Karma the Red Sox had against the Yankees, by losing so bitterly so many times in the past, and then did the unthinkable. I guess the old adage never has been more appropriate - One game at a time.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any other team... Its possible to see the ONLY 3-0 come back ever in the history of the NBA...

Against the Spurs, the most dominant team in the last 6-7 years..... The chance is almost 0....

Suns dug themselves this hole by the atrocious Game 3.... Suns gave away game 1.... D'Antoni was all good... Game 2... D'Antoni was all good.... Game 3..... D'Antoni got nervous.... Game 4... D'Antoni actually started calling time outs when the Spurs scored 2-3 baskets in a row...

WHY OH WHY, didnt he do this earlier.......

2008-2009 Season should be interesting.... kinda...

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The reason the Suns have to maintain a large lead in the game is simple - Bruce Bowen is less an offensive threat, and sits to allow a better shooter time to play. Bowen is Nash's worst enemy. He harasses Nash and makes Nash look 10 years older than he really is.

The ONE thing I saw in Game 4 that has been missing from the Suns over the years - D'Antoni called TOs when the Spurs started making a run. I don't think too many really appreciate how HUGE this really is! That is something that idiot coach never did years prior. NEVER. He did is twice in the 1st half, and it stopped potential runs by the Spurs... none bigger was the TO when the Spurs closed in to 12 (or was it 11) early in the 2nd quarter.

There are too many 'ifs' to make a four game winning streak plausible against the defending champs. That is the real truth. However, if there is one team in the league that underachieves against this team, that stands some 'universal' Karma, it is the Suns. Think how much Karma the Red Sox had against the Yankees, by losing so bitterly so many times in the past, and then did the unthinkable. I guess the old adage never has been more appropriate - One game at a time.

Exactly... THE VERY FIRST THING I NOTICED.

When the Spurs scored consecutive baskets... he called time out...

Jeez!!

FINALLY!!!... a tactic.... a coaching move...

sadly... it takes an elimination game to do it... and he would need to do it... again and JUST HOPE the Spurs play their worst 3 game span in a while.....

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
be tough inside.

give some hard, bone cracking fouls!
shaq and skinner can do that.

the suns need to show the spurs that they are out for blood!

GorrilaLips

Registered
Reaction score
Actually the key is to get the lead first.

No, the key is to KEEP THE LEAD FIRST, than onward bound.

Getting the lead first is easy for Sun's Basketball, been there, done that. The problem lies in the Suns dripping oil and going into full blown motor by the second half.

GorrilaLips

Registered
Reaction score
Suns dug themselves this hole by the atrocious Game 3.... Suns gave away game 1.... D'Antoni was all good... Game 2... D'Antoni was all good.... Game 3..... D'Antoni got nervous.... Game 4... D'Antoni actually started calling time outs when the Spurs scored 2-3 baskets in a row...

WHY OH WHY, didnt he do this earlier.......

Because D'Antoni is a hard headed, stubborn moron. Why didn't he also do what even the fan's have seen and suggested the whole way, PUT SOMEONE ELSE ON PARKER GAWD DANGIT!!!!!! Game 4, is when it was finally done.....wtf?!? duh...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
One game at a time....stop looking ahead!!!!!!

nowagimp

Reaction score
Because D'Antoni is a hard headed, stubborn moron. Why didn't he also do what even the fan's have seen and suggested the whole way, PUT SOMEONE ELSE ON PARKER GAWD DANGIT!!!!!! Game 4, is when it was finally done.....wtf?!? duh...

Show me the fan who said to put diaw on parker or to play diaw more. Suns fans are almost overwhelmingly against playing "Doris" more minutes. This is just hindsight aided revisionist history.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show me the fan who said to put diaw on parker or to play diaw more. Suns fans are almost overwhelmingly against playing "Doris" more minutes. This is just hindsight aided revisionist history.

Pretty much. Thank god D'Antoni called timeouts this time to settle down the second oldest team in the NBA. :rolleyes: You just can't trust these guys to perform but fortunately the fairy godmother is going to come and magically transform them next year.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Pretty much. Thank god D'Antoni called timeouts this time to settle down the second oldest team in the NBA. :rolleyes: You just can't trust these guys to perform but fortunately the fairy godmother is going to come and magically transform them next year.

Would that fairy godmother be the "new coach" with a special magical wand that confers defense on guys like amare, nash and LB? By the way Chris, I love the trade off of the shaq+cash for all those guys and picks, its sobering.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I think the confidence from winning in a dominant fashion last game will linger for Tuesday's game.

Don't under estimate a team on the brink of elimination.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would that fairy godmother be the "new coach" with a special magical wand that confers defense on guys like amare, nash and LB? By the way Chris, I love the trade off of the shaq+cash for all those guys and picks, its sobering.

What really pisses me off when I look at that list is that all four of those guys were guys that actually played defense. They were our best defenders from the prior year. Yet Kerr "cares about defense because he played for the Spurs" which is laughable because Kerr never played defense in his entire career.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
While it is no doubt frustrating they couldn't play such intense defense through games 1-3, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

This team yesterday showed us just how good they can be overall when they all are on the same mental page.

Yes, the Spurs can play defense. But, so can the Suns...

Many of you think this game was a fluke, but I THINK our defense contributed at least 80% to the Spurs poor shooting.

Imagine if they play great basetball on Tuesday?

It will be beautiful to watch.

Yes the Spurs are the defending champions, but they won't play with the intensity the Suns will. Being up 3-1 to being down 1-3, there is a difference. Suns will either go down without a fight or fight till the death.

I, for one, can't wait. Tuesday night can't come any sooner...

Last edited:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason this season the Suns have been playing pretty good in AT&T center hopefully they will go in there fired up and wanting to win. If the intensity from yesterday carries over to game 5 then they can pull of another win.
There mentality should be; SA beat us 3 straight time, why cant we? then worry about Game 7 when series is tied. Like Diaw said they have to play like it's their last game, which is what it will be if they dont win.

OP
OP
B

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
The Spurs are better than most teams at playing like their down 3-1. However there are some things I think some of you are not taking into account. Game 3 has been the exception to the Spurs season. They've been a lot worse throughout the year on offense at times. If we can contain Parker on the pick and roll and shoot a good percentage from the field ourselves then we can win the remaining games. I know, I know.. none of us are confident, but this thread was looking at HOW WE CAN WIN these games. lol :)

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
You are wrong.

Clearly they didn't come out to sweep because they laid down after the first quarter.

Fact: Suns are playing to win every game to extend their season.

Fact: Spurs are playing to win one more, doesn't matter if its game 4 or 7.

A team on the brink of going home will play their asses off more so than a team who just has to get one win out of 3 games.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
You are wrong.

Clearly they didn't come out to sweep because they laid down after the first quarter.

A team on the brink of going home will play their asses off more so than a team who just has to get one win out of 3 games.

You're dreaming if you think the Spurs won't be focused for Game 4. You think San Antonio wants to go back to PHX for Game 5?

The Spurs will play Game 4 like their lives depend on it.

nowagimp

Reaction score
What really pisses me off when I look at that list is that all four of those guys were guys that actually played defense. They were our best defenders from the prior year. Yet Kerr "cares about defense because he played for the Spurs" which is laughable because Kerr never played defense in his entire career.

Yeah Kerr never played any defense, at least no one noticed when he tried, he made Nash look like a stopper. Kerrs Bulls teams only played defense in short bursts and that was on the perimeter(mid pack in the NBA at the time). In fairness, we would be over the cap with those guys, but sarver listened to the kerrster in jettisoning those guys. Marcus Banks could have been a nice bench player, and would have come in handy against the Parkers, CP3's. JR shot pretty well from the 3pt line this year and KT is probably the only thing preventing the spurs from being put out in the first round this year. I think that the inner workings of a basketball team were more complex than sarver imagined, and Kerr took advantage of the opportunity presented to make changes, but it looks like he didnt do too well in his judgements. But then, Kerr had no track record in that GM job anyway, none at all, he's just green.

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
You are wrong.

I applaud you Andrew, and other Suns fans that still keep the hope alive for your team. But lets be real. There is very little chance the Spurs lose tomorrow night at home. Yesterday was quite possibly one of the worst performances I have seen the Spurs play this entire season. Some of it was due to good defense by the Suns, but there were a LOT of open shots the Spurs bricked all day long. Pop will likely make the proper adjustments needed to deal with Diaw FINALLY realizing that the playoffs started. As far as the Spurs losing 4 games in a row, not gonna happen. This season was the first time the Spurs have lost more than 3 games in a row for over 5 years straight I believe. And the reason they lost 4 straight, I believe Manu, Tony & others were out. I could be wrong though. I think the Spurs close it out tomorrow.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're dreaming if you think the Spurs won't be focused for Game 4. You think San Antonio wants to go back to PHX for Game 5?

The Spurs will play Game 4 like their lives depend on it.
you mean games 5 and 6, respectively.