Thomas NOT returning

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised they really thought they were going to keep him for a 3y/12m deal. That's insulting offer IMO. Hell, TT would be worth the 24 million just to keep him out of the hands of Western conference rivals. I guess it pays not to say you're ecstatic to be playing for an organization .

The Sarver bashers are beginning to persuade me.

I'm starting to get worried about the type of deal Diaw is going to be offered. Will the Suns expect a discount because they pulled his ass from Atlanta? I sure hope not.

Last edited:

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Crap - I really hope Cassel doesn't go to the Hawks. That would just freaking suck.
I don't think that would be so bad. Livingston isn't going to be playing at an all-star level next year.

Even with Cassell (and a re-signed Al Harrington), I don't see the Hawks making the playoffs next year.

Some people have already decided who we're picking with the Hawks' pick next year but the fact is the Hawks will probably have a significant (about 10-65%) of retaining it. Adding Cassell would push them into mid-lottery.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nm132 said:
I don't think that would be so bad. Livingston isn't going to be playing at an all-star level next year.

Even with Cassell (and a re-signed Al Harrington), I don't see the Hawks making the playoffs next year.

Some people have already decided who we're picking with the Hawks' pick next year but the fact is the Hawks will probably have a significant (about 10-65%) of retaining it. Adding Cassell would push them into mid-lottery.

the East is god-awful and EVERYWHERE Cassel has gone, he's elevated that team, hell, even taking the Clippers to within one game of the WCF. With Cassel and JJ in the backcourt, having a bona-fide PG will more than likely make EVERYONE on that team better and it's not like they are completely devoid of talent. Hell, even that stiff they drafted could be nothign but a defensive presence/hard worker.

Cassel goes there and they are AT WORST - the 9 or 10 seed and that means that pick isn't worth all that much. More than likely, they sneak into the playoffs as an 8 seed.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Can i now say Robert Saver is a money pinching SOB?

Or do i have to wait until he allows D'antoni to only sign scrubs for the vet min.And we don't even use our MLE?

Trading the picks to resign TT LOL, yeah okay...

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Can i now say Robert Saver is a money pinching SOB?

Or do i have to wait until he allows D'antoni to only sign scrubs for the vet min.And we don't even use our MLE?

Trading the picks to resign TT LOL, yeah okay...

We traded the picks because they didn't like anybody there. How many times do I have to repeat this?

NastyOne

Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
We traded the picks because they didn't like anybody there. How many times do I have to repeat this?

Keep repeating it until you actually believe it.

Gotta give it to Saver though, he is pretty damn good at selling the fans BS and having them believe it.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Anyone still have faith that we don't lowball Diaw?

I have a small feeling we offer him something ridiculous and he ends talks and waits until next season for a new contract, either from us or someone else.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Keep repeating it until you actually believe it.

Gotta give it to Saver though, he is pretty damn good at selling the fans BS and having them believe it.

Yeah all those sources that were with reporters don't know what the hell this team is doing.

Hell we had 2 guys with inside information ON THIS VERY BOARD tell you so.

NastyOne

Reaction score
Hey im not going to argue about it, I believe hes a cheap basterd and you don't. :)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
Hey im not going to argue about it, I believe hes a cheap basterd and you don't. :)

To argue about him being a cheap bastard is one thing but there were multiple sources saying that if the Suns couldn't trade up in the draft that they may get out of the draft all together ... That was before the draft.

There multiple sources after the draft that confirmed it.

The "getting rid of the draft picks to sign TT" comment he made was BS. They should have just told the truth and simply stated they didn't like any of the picks there. That I won't argue with

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
The "getting rid of the draft picks to sign TT" comment he made was BS. They should have just told the truth and simply stated they didn't like any of the picks there. That I won't argue with

The problem is that there has been a steady diet of this kind of thing from Sarver. The JJ situation was salvaged by BC but there was a lot of conflicting info coming out of JJ's camp. If he blows the Diaw negotiations things are gonna get ugly with the media and the fans PDQ.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
3 years 12mil is the absolute most I would have offered TT. Glad the Suns didn't try to match the offer.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
devilalum said:
The problem is that there has been a steady diet of this kind of thing from Sarver. The JJ situation was salvaged by BC but there was a lot of conflicting info coming out of JJ's camp. If he blows the Diaw negotiations things are gonna get ugly with the media and the fans PDQ.

I won't argue with that either. The only reason Diaw's contract extension should NOT be worked out is that is if he is asking for very close to or at the max.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:

I think things pretty much are at the ugly stage - at least as far as the fans are concerned. Most of this board and every other Suns board I've gone too has serious doubts about Sarver already and almost every one of my friends who live in Phoenix thinks this guy is a freaking cheap ******.

If Boris isn't extended, Sarver's gonna be a pariah in Phoenix. Again - people thought Bidwill took a lot of crap, but they ain't seen nothing yet if this summer goes badly and you know why that is? PEOPLE ACTAULLY CARE ABOUT THE SUNS IN PHOENIX. They've ALWAYS ruled this city with an iron fist and for good reason. The Cards were a joke for decades, thus Bidwill got off easy. The Suns are pretty much our pride and joy sports-speaking - to screw them up will NOT be acceptable to the media/fans.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
So, does anyone think Sam might end up with the Rockets?

Just asking, as they were looking at Mike James, and reports have that the Mavs were looking at James too.

edit...Sam has reupped with the Clippers.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakeclip2jul02,1,3188262.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

The Clippers reacted swiftly after Radmanovic and Cassell apparently reneged on agreements to stay with them, then reaching terms with the sharp-shooting Thomas and making a push for free-agent guard Bobby Jackson as a back-up plan in case Cassell left.

But Cassell, the 36-year-old point guard and undisputed on-court general of the Clippers last season, late Saturday agreed to a two-year, $13-million contract, keeping intact a Clippers nucleus that lasted longer than the Lakers in this year's playoffs.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reader said:
So, does anyone think Sam might end up with the Rockets?

Just asking, as they were looking at Mike James, and reports have that the Mavs were looking at James too.

edit...Sam has reupped with the Clippers.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakeclip2jul02,1,3188262.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

so - the Clippers are now:

Cassel
Mobley
Ross
Brand
Kaman

Bench:
Livingston
Maggette
Tim Thomas

That team is pretty freaking good AND VERY DEEP. That's 3 studs coming off the bench to go along with a very solid starting line-up. People forget that the Clips were neck and neck with us halfway through the season with Maggette missing something like 50 games.

At this point - thus far in FA the Clippers have improved themselves and kept their core together, while we have all of our hopes riding on a guy coming back from microfracture.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
At this point - thus far in FA the Clippers have improved themselves and kept their core together, while we have all of our hopes riding on a guy coming back from microfracture.

Well if that guy isn't able to come back from microfracture surgery the Suns wouldn't win a title even with TT and 2 late draft picks. If he does come back the Suns shot at a title isn't that diminished but not having those picks(and presumably someone else in TT place).

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
so - the Clippers are now:

Cassel
Mobley
Ross
Brand
Kaman

Bench:
Livingston
Maggette
Tim Thomas

That team is pretty freaking good AND VERY DEEP. That's 3 studs coming off the bench to go along with a very solid starting line-up. People forget that the Clips were neck and neck with us halfway through the season with Maggette missing something like 50 games.

We kept our core together also. Tim Thomas as much as people want to exaggerate was not a part of the core of the team.

As for the Clips, they pretty much stayed status quo but they'll improve just because of their young players being together for another year. Will they challenge us for the Pacific Division title? I have my doubts but they could be scary good in a couple of years

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Well if that guy isn't able to come back from microfracture surgery the Suns wouldn't win a title even with TT and 2 late draft picks. If he does come back the Suns shot at a title isn't that diminished but not having those picks(and presumably someone else in TT place).

so if he doesn't come back, we really should just fold our tents and bomb the season then, huh? Seriously - wasn't everyone thinking around mid-season, when this team was smoking hot, that we COULD challenge for the title - and not just against Dallas? Why would it be so different if last year's team (without Amare) came back, but actually ADDED TT to it? Woudl they not be the same team that everyone loved and was on a 60 win pace when KT went down, but actually better with the TT signing?

As far as "presumably getting someone else in TT's place, how can we assume ANYTHING with this team at this point? Last summer we heard we were gonna resign JJ... yeah, that didn't happen. Then, we were goign to get Finley... yeah, that didn't happen. Then this year, we're moving picks so we can re-sign TT... yeah, that didn't happen either. There's a distrubing trend there. I can't wait to see who we're gonna get to take TT's place as a valued playoff tested clutch 3 point shooter/guy who creates mis-match problems, seeing as we apparently don't like to pay market price and make no mistake about it, with both Vlad and TT getting similiar contracts, THAT IS MARKET PRICE.

It's gonna be an interesting couple weeks here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I understand the frustration over Tim Thomas, but come on, he wasn't going to make or break our championship chances. He certainly would have helped, but him not signing with us doesn't shut the door by no means. We're still favorites at this point.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
so if he doesn't come back, we really should just fold our tents and bomb the season then, huh? Seriously - wasn't everyone thinking around mid-season, when this team was smoking hot, that we COULD challenge for the title - and not just against Dallas? Why would it be so different if last year's team (without Amare) came back, but actually ADDED TT to it? Woudl they not be the same team that everyone loved and was on a 60 win pace when KT went down, but actually better with the TT signing?

As far as "presumably getting someone else in TT's place, how can we assume ANYTHING with this team at this point? Last summer we heard we were gonna resign JJ... yeah, that didn't happen. Then, we were goign to get Finley... yeah, that didn't happen. Then this year, we're moving picks so we can re-sign TT... yeah, that didn't happen either. There's a distrubing trend there. I can't wait to see who we're gonna get to take TT's place as a valued playoff tested clutch 3 point shooter/guy who creates mis-match problems, seeing as we apparently don't like to pay market price and make no mistake about it, with both Vlad and TT getting similiar contracts, THAT IS MARKET PRICE.

It's gonna be an interesting couple weeks here.

I where I can remember reading several posts from you since the end of the season where you said that if Amare Stoudemire was unable to come back at a high level this team wasn't going to win a championship next season. Am I wrong?

Joe Mama

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Leandro isnt a point guard never was never will be...

He dribbles with his head down
When he drives down the land he doesnt pass off
He has no ability to guard the 2 guards in the western division they are simply to tall strong and athletic for him.

He is an intl player that has hit some good shots for us, but he in no way is a force. I think he set an NBA record for the most times his shot was blocked going down the lane.

The Suns should be so deep he only plays 10-15 minutes max per game. Instead people are like look how fast he is... wow he isnt a complete player by any stretch for all the speed he has when was the last time you remember him using that to his advantage on defense?

He can hit an open shot...no doubt
and he makes half his wide open layups but this game is far diverse than that his responsibilities are far more than that to this team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I understand the frustration over Tim Thomas, but come on, he wasn't going to make or break our championship chances. He certainly would have helped, but him not signing with us doesn't shut the door by no means. We're still favorites at this point.

WE'RE STILL FAVORITES AT THIS POINT?

Wow - delusion runs very deep on this board. Only a Suns fan could believe that a team, who's second best player (and pretty much the guy who puts us over the top) is coming of a FULL YEAR of knee problems - not to mention, it's a knee surgery that has DESTROYED careers - and we haven't seen ANYTHING from him - could believe that we are favorites at this point.

No one's saying this is the end of the world, but it's a loss and another distressing transacation or lack thereof from a an already dubious owner.