Thoughts about Joe Thomas

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. I watched him on tape...he's an A pass blocker and a B run blocker. For a pass happy team, like a West Coast offense team, he'd be made to order. But...to be a top #10 player in the draft, IMO, a tackle should be an A pass and run blocker at the collegiate level.

2. He did a good job in the bowl game against DE Jamaal Anderson...but, quite frankly, Anderson is not really a great pass rusher. Kudos to Thomas, anyway. He did his job and was a solid factor in their win.

3. He decided not to play in the Senior Bowl. That bothers me. He said he had been on the banquet circuit or something of that nature.

When players elect not to play in the Senior Bowl it's like defendants electing not to testify...

Some will say he had nothing to prove and why should he risk getting hurt or not playing well...he had more to lose...etc.

But...still...it makes me wonder if he would have still been considered the #2 prospect in the draft had he practiced and played at the Senior Bowl.

I'd be willing to bet you, he would not. I think he would be ranked right where he belongs...somewhere between 9-12.

The fact that Levi Brown practiced hard and played well in the Senior Bowl makes me a lot more confident about him.

4. Thomas' performance at the combine was excellent. But the last time I checked there are no one-on-one run blocking drills at the combine. That would be the real test.

5. I saw an ESPN interview with him and was very impressed. He chose to stay in school and go to classes and not just wait around for the draft. I think that's highly commendable of him. I think he has very good character. I also liked the way he talked about his fiancee...he has a very good sense of priorities...save perhaps...

6. Thomas declined an offer to be one of the marquis guests at the Draft in NYC. On the one hand, I'm OK with that, if he wants to host a party of family and friends and will have a camera there. On the other, it's good PR for him and the team that drafts him for him to be there to raise the team's jersey at the podium along side the Commisioner.

After all...that team will be investing mutli millions of dollars in him...and he hasn't played one snap of pro football.

Now the report is that Thomas isn't even going to watch the draft...he's going on a fishing trip with his dad.

To me this may be slightly embarrassing to the team that drafts him...especially if he's drafted as high as he's projected to go. All the other teams will have their players at the draft, hoisting the jerseys, shedding tears of joy with their families and getting interviewed by ESPN, etc.

Thomas will be in a boat somewhere...

Just seems too odd...

Skipping the Senior Bowl was one thing...fishing on draft day while a team is making you an instant millionaire is another.

It makes me wonder, too, whether he will be a long holdout for whatever team that drafts him. One never knows with players who dance to the beat of a different drum.

Maybe I am making too much of this...but I will tell you this...as a Cardinal fan...I was choked up last year when I saw Matt Leinart raising the Cardinal jersey at the podium alongside the Commish...and even more psyched when Leinart told ESPN that the wait was excrutiating but "being a Cardinal is a great situation for me."

This year...if the Cardinals take Thomas...and he's nowhere to be seen or heard, it will feel very anti-climatic...especially when we will be watching guys like Adrian Peterson and Levi Brown hoisting other teams' jerseys, beaming from ear to ear, with tears of joy in their eyes.

Yeah, a week or a month later it won't matter, I suppose. But still...

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually like the fact that he will not be watching the draft. If that helps DET, CLE or TB pass on him, so that we have a shot. Even better.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish he would have gone to the senior bowl but it seems like most of those that are rated very high skip out. Landry did the same this year. As far as not going to New York for the draft and going fishing, I actually think that is smart. The New York scene for that week is really tough on a player. Lots of pressure and if you are not picked within the top five it is even worse. Young guys don't need that. I'll bet he has his cell phone with him and will be available for a call but who knows?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Mitch but the fact that the kid will bo out fishing with his dad is highly refreshing and darn right cool. Not the slightest bit of an embarrassment to anyone.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry Mitch but the fact that the kid will bo out fishing with his dad is highly refreshing and darn right cool. Not the slightest bit of an embarrassment to anyone.

To an extent I agree Shane, but at the same time getting drafted to the NFL is a once and a lifetime thing. The realization of your lifelong dream. There will be plenty of time for fishing, hell I love my dad to death and would drop everything if he said he wanted to do something like that. But you can never get drafted again. Kind of weird IMO.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
To an extent I agree Shane, but at the same time getting drafted to the NFL is a once and a lifetime thing. The realization of your lifelong dream. There will be plenty of time for fishing, hell I love my dad to death and would drop everything if he said he wanted to do something like that. But you can never get drafted again. Kind of weird IMO.

I agree, phillycard. This is a person's mealticket and career we are talking about. It's not just all about him...it's about the team who invests in him as well. We are talking about a top ten pick here.

Like I said...I'm fine with him staying home with his family and friends instead and having a camera in there to show the team that picks him and their fans how excited everyone is...that's cool.

But going into virtual isolation on a day that means so much to so many is a strange decision...cellphone or no.

And like I said...one has to wonder if he will be fishing on the first day of training camp as well.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I agree, phillycard. This is a person's mealticket and career we are talking about. It's not just all about him...it's about the team who invests in him as well. We are talking about a top ten pick here.

Like I said...I'm fine with him staying home with his family and friends instead and having a camera in there to show the team that picks him and their fans how excited everyone is...that's cool.

But going into virtual isolation on a day that means so much to so many is a strange decision...cellphone or no.

And like I said...one has to wonder if he will be fishing on the first day of training camp as well.

I think that if Thomas had motivation concerns then this could be an issue. However, everything I've heard leads me to believe he's a hard worker and a team player with a good head on his shoulders.

As for your original post, Ferguson is a much worse run blocker than Thomas was and he went fourth overall last year.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Maybe its all about him and his family which are more important to him than sitting in front of cameras in NYC. When I retired from the military it was customary to have a retirement ceremony. I preferred to leave just like I came in. Unnoticed! I picked up my retirement orders and certificate from the Wing Commander in his office on my way out the day I retired.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
They can rig up a camera in his boat and he can listen to the radio during the draft, will that work for you????

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care if the guy is a recluse and refuses to talk to the media throughout his whole career. The guy is paid to be a football player, not a celebrity.

He doesn't want a camera in his face during possibly the most monumental moment of his life, so what? I can't blame him.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fishing would help ease the pressure of sitting there on camera waiting to be picked. He knows hes going on top so why should he care? Quality time with family doesnt mean you are a questionable player. People make way to big of a deal of this stuff. Sure if he wanted to go hang with thugs or hit clubs itd be an issue, hes fishing with his damn dad.

if he has sprint he can just watch the draft on his phone

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
Mitch, I understand your feelings, but the fact is that their are only two elite offensive tackles in the draft, THomas and Brown. As i wrote in another thread, I do not care what Grimm is telling everyone concerning a deep draft for OT; it is not. The Cardinals must solidify the OL with the first pick, since they do not have a legitiment tackle on the current roster.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I understand your feelings, but the fact is that their are only two elite offensive tackles in the draft, THomas and Brown. As i wrote in another thread, I do not care what Grimm is telling everyone concerning a deep draft for OT; it is not. The Cardinals must solidify the OL with the first pick, since they do not have a legitiment tackle on the current roster.

Stins...I would not be disappointed if the Cardinals selected Joe Thomas. He is a fine player and I think a fine person from what I have seen and heard from him. Having watched both Thomas and Levi Brown, I must admit I was more impressed with Brown...and I really have no bias toward Thomas. I want to see the Cardinals draft the best player they can.

Maybe I have put too much thought into these things...all I know is, I would love to see the look of excitement and appreciation in our first round pick's eyes (all our picks, for that matter) in the precise splendor of the moment. With Thomas it will have to come at his introductory press conference of the team that drafts him.

You all make good points...I love the camera in the boat idea, Okieguy!

DKCards

Reaction score
Maybe he talked to Leinart :D , I sure he would have rather been fishing last year instead of having a camera in his face after every pick. That has to be a horrible feeling to be the center of attention when player after player is being picked before you when you thought you would be gone well before them.

He will have no control in the process and this might be the way he handles stress/emotions the best.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I would worry about the banquet circuit, but he worked out at the combine. That shows me that he wasn't just making up an excuse for not playing. He missed the game he really did not have to play in (wasn't going to help his draft status), but he went to the combine when it really couldn't help his draft status. That alone clears him from "hiding" or "avoiding" the scrutiny.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Wanna bet he has his cell phone charged and by about 1 cdt he know where he is headed. If its about 45 minutes earlier it won't be our issue!

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
I respect your views, Mitch, but I think there are many reasonable ways to respond to the thought of bunches of cameras pointed, analyzing your every twitch, while flocks of flacks pepper you with stupid, oft-repeated questions. Some people eat up the spotlight, some endure it, some shun it, and some just have their heads in a different place. The little I've read about/by Thomas says he's in the fourth category. I know that the NFL is an entertainment business, but OL players are rarely team mouthpieces, and if he does his job as well as he did it in college, I'll be very pleased.

He seems to be self-motivated, aiming at precision, excellence, and winning. Maybe another Randy Johnson? Or Kareem--what did he do during the draft? Probably would've gon fishing if he liked it...?

I'm more concerned about the run-blocking issue, less about the Senior Bowl. There, a player at his level has little to gain, much to lose. As is, he could be the second or even the first pick this year. As for run-blocking, he has the tools; I'd estimate he'd be as good as the coaching could equip him to be--maybe not a mauler, when eliminating 2 tacklers or jamming up the pursuit could be done, he'd do it.

choginals

Reaction score
2. He did a good job in the bowl game against DE Jamaal Anderson...but, quite frankly, Anderson is not really a great pass rusher. Kudos to Thomas, anyway. He did his job and was a solid factor in their win.

If I recall correctly, Anderson was lined up on the other side and had a great game. Thomas went up against Antwain Robinson...and did a good job containing him.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree.

Very interesting points, Mitch. Very interesting indeed.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stins, you do not know if there are only two elite OTs in the draft. No offense intended but you are parroting what the talking heads say and most of them are wrong much of the time.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
If you read ESPN the magazine, there is a funny interview with Joe Thomas in the Outtakes section. Dan Patrick was asking how he had proposed to his girlfriend and Joe Thomas answered that he got down in a three-point stance. Dan patrick asked him if he was serious and he said that he was just kidding.

I think the guy sounds kind of funny.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score

I don't know about that, I was listening to the NFL network and they were discussing Gaines Adams and the fact that defensive ends are over valued. They said that when Clemson played Boston College James Marten pretty much handled Adams who is projected as the best pass rusher in the draft.

Macus McNeill was drafted at #50, about the middle of the second round, and turned out to be a great starting tackle for the San Diego Chargers. James Marten is projected to go in the second or third round and has proven that he can shut down a great pass rusher like Adams.

I could easily see a guy like Marten being a solid starting offensive tackle from day one in the NFL. He is projected to go about the same place as Marcus McNeill

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beware the Final 2 Weeks...

It's crazy time.

Coaches and GM's put out outlandish bits of disinformation.

The draft gurus - with little to do before the draft - cook up speculated trades and pick away at each player so minutely that even Walter Payton would be made out to be a 7th round talent.

Remember - Players don't change very much from the end of season til now. It's the media communities' opinions of the players that change - zig zagging all over the place as Draft Day looms closer.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think you're putting too much weight into the Senior Bowl week. Throughout 4 years of college, playing in the same conference, Thomas has shown that he is clearly the better player. I know guys games transition to the pros differently but i like the fact that Thomas has proven that he is better OT than Brown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05