Thoughts On Bill Davis, John Lott, and the 2010 Roster

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. When you look at what Bill Davis did in preparing for the Vikings, what a superb job he did. First of all, to shut down Adrian Peterson as well as his defense did was extraordinary. The flow of the inside three to the ball, versus one of the premier offensive lines in the league, was textbook. Dockett, Robinson, Branch and Campbell (whichever of the three were in the game) kept near perfect spacing as they directed their flow toward the play side. This provided narrow creases that the Cardinals' defenders were able to close when AP made his move.

Then, the coverage schemes were simply astute. That "ameoba" alignment in the middle of the field with the safeties and linebackers was almost like what teams are doing on kickoffs these days in order to confuse the blocking assignments. There is no question that then alignment confused a QB in Favre who would rarely if ever be that confused...or remain that confused for such an extended period of time. How about the play in which Adrian Wilson was lined up on the right edge and on the snap crossed the field to cover the back out of the backfield, which nearly resulted in a pick six for Wilson? How often have you ever seen a scheme like that one?

Whiz knew exactly what he was doing when he promoted Bill Davis. Wow, this guy really brings it. And, what's also great about him is how humble and forthcoming he is...just like Whiz. If you recall, during the previous week in the aftermath of the 99 yard drive in Tennessee, Davis candidly told reporters that he was "haunted" by the drive and that "I could have made some better calls."

How about the way this defense huddles on the sidelines...they have never been more unified. And, if you recall, following the Panthers' game where the defense was humiliated, Davis avowed that following week that he was sure his defense had what it takes to be dominant. Honestly, when I read that I was extremely dubious about the remark...but, this guy really knows how to get his troups to bounce back in a big way, and that's a reflection on superb coaching. Every team is going to make mistakes and some that will cost the team ballgames. But, it's the way in which teams respond to those mistakes that is the measure of the players' true character and the coaches' innate ability to motivate. Davis deserves to be commended for bringing a style and purpose and resiliency to the defense that we haven't seen in ages.

2. There is no way the Cardinals can even think about letting strength and conditioning coach John Lott slip away. In my way of thinking, he and Whiz are the Lennon and McCartney of the Cardinals' band of coaches. Their efforts have worked hand in hand in turning the whole organization around. John Lott is not expendable. Period. Make him the highest paid S&C coach in the league. He is that valuable.

3. It's interesting to take a peek ahead at next year's roster. Here are my early predictions:

QB: While Kurt Warner may ponder his future again on a sunny beach for a week, he will return for the second year of his contract. I believe the Cardinals will draft a QB this year... a player that could well be the QBOF for the Cardinals.

More than likely Matt Leinart stays...but I do think the Cardinals will entertain thoughts of trading him, if, behind the scenes, Whiz is not as high on him being his QBOF. If that is the case, Whiz will re-sign Brian St. Pierre to be the #2, while Whiz grooms his rookie draft pick.

I also strongly believe that there's a decent chance that Warner will play beyond 2010.

RB: The Cardinals are all set there with the quartet of Hightower, Wells, Wright and Stephens-Howling. I think that the team may try to redo Hightower's contract either this year or next. I believe they view him as a core player...and whether he starts or not is irrelevant.

FB: Kreider will likley be re-signed. If not, look for Justin Green to re-emerge.

WR: The big question here is whether the team will re-sign Q, make him play out the final year of his contract, or trade him. Kurt Warner will want Q to stay, there's no question about that and the sentiment will be that they can make another run at the Lombardi. I think it would surprising if the Cardinals re-signed Q. I think they love what they have in the trio of Fitzgerald, Breaston and Doucet, and because of this, if the Cardinals do get a very attractive trade offer for Q, I think this time they will make the deal. But, if the Cardinals don't get what they want, Q stays. While Q may remain disgruntled, he should be highy motivated to play at an elite level in order to hit free agency with a bang in 2011.

TE: I fully expect that Anthony Becht will be re-signed and the trio of Becht, Patrick and Spach will remain intact.

OL: I think the Cardinals will re-sign Jeremy Bridges and will not re-sign Mike Gandy, unless Gandy accepts a Bertrand Berry type deal. The priority will be to re-sign Deuce Lutui and to add a young left tackle in the draft. If the Cardinals are unable to sign Lutui, look for there to be a TC competition at RG between Brandon Keith, Herman Johnson and Trevor Canfield. The one intriguing thought here might be if the coaches really like Herman Johnson at RT, they may be tempted to see what Levi Brown looks like at RG. There's also the possibility that Brown may be switched over to LT as Gandy's replacement, with Johnson or Bridges taking over at RT. Another player I believe the Cardinals will sign to a longer deal this off-season is C Lyle Sendlein who is having a very solid season.

DL: Dockett becomes the new Q...wants the big restructred contract, but isn't going to get it and isn't going anywhere. Hopefully, Dockett will learn from Q's mistakes. I think that Bryan Robinson, who has been solid this year and a good leader, will likely be re-signed, although may not be if the team can agree to terms with UFA NT Gabe Watson. The team is pretty well set with Calais Campbell and rotation players Alan Branch, Keilen Dykes and Jason Banks.

OLB: One of the reasons why the Cardinals elected to let Chris Harrington go to the Jaguars is that they feel they are happy with the trio of Clark Haggans, Will Davis and Cody Brown. I think they fully intend to draft another OLB in the first 4 rounds, one with better pass rushing skills than Harrington. The likelihood of either Chike Okeafor and Bertrand Berry returning is probably very slim, unless either agrees to a contract a tad over the veteran minimum.

ILB: This is the one big need area, obviously, if Karlos Dansby hits free agency like he said he intends to. There's no way the Cardinals are going to pony up $15M to tender him as the franchise player for a third consecutive year. And the Cardinals have already made Dansby a lucrative offer which he turned down. Thus, the Cardinals are likely going to have to let Dansby walk, and will search high and wide for a free agent or high draft pick to take his place. For insurance, the Cardinals will re-sign Monty Beisel and hope that Ali Highsmith is John Lott's pet student in the off-season.

At SILB, the tandem of Gerald hayes and Reggie Walker looks pretty well set. Walker is a good run stuffer but may lack the range and overall athleticism needed to play on the weak side.

CB: Pretty well set with DRC, BMF, Michael Adams and Greg Toler. Not sure if Ralph Brown will make it this time, as I think the Cardinals will add another veteran or a draft pick.

S: The big news this off-season, IMO, will be the re-signing of FS Antrel Rolle to a long term extension. I think the coaches will make his signing a priority. We might see a player challenge Matt Ware for a roster spot. One of the most improved players next year should be Rashad Johnson.

ST: The team is set with Rackers, Graham and Leach.

My guess:

Signings (in house):

G Deuce Lutui
C Lyle Sendlein*
TE Anthony Becht
TE Stephen Spach
NT Bryan Robinson
NT Gabe Watson
LB Monty Beisel
FS Antrel Rolle*

* Restructured extensions

Trade:

The Cardinals trade WR Anquan Boldin and flip flop 1st round picks to select LB Rolando McClain and add a 4th rounder in the deal.

Draft:

1. Rolando McClain, LB, (6-4, 248, Alabama)
2. Brandon Lang, DE/OLB, (6-4, 250, Troy)
3. Dan LeFevour, QB, (6-3, 228, Central Michigan)
4a. Alonzo Durham, T, (6-4, 290, Nevada)
4b. Brandon Ghee, CB, (6-0, 190, Wake Forest)
5. Terrell Hudgins, WR, (6-3, 234, Elon)
6. Rafael Eubanks, C, (6-3, 292, Iowa)
7. Dominique Harris, S, (6-3, 218, Temple)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
2. There is no way the Cardinals can even think about letting strength and conditioning coach John Lott slip away. In my way of thinking, he and Whiz are the Lennon and McCartney of the Cardinals' band of coaches. Their efforts have worked hand in hand in turning the whole organization around. John Lott is not expendable. Period. Make him the highest paid S&C coach in the league. He is that valuable.
Totally agree. Lott IS the core with Wiz.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch I love the foresight on a possible trade to get McClain!!! Stud!!!

Lott is loved by the players, get him resigned. Mitch, do you have any knowledge of the rumors on which coaches signed extentions last week? Wiz should be getting one after this season.

Rod Graves has his work cut out for him & hopefully he can buck his history of slow resignings and get more than one long-term contract done this offseason. I'm not so confident he will get it done.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I am hoping the Bidwills are falling so much in love with having a winning franchise that they do whatever it takes (to the point of overpaying key players if they have to) to continue to have a shot each year at the playoffs!!!! And I love your contributions with these insightful thoughts you bring, Mitch! Cudos to you!!!:thumbup:

Reaction score
Pretty solid, Mitch.

While I don't agree with all of your assumptions, I do agree with your conclusions, except I don't know about B-Rob.

At the level he is playing this season it does appear that he may be good for another one year contract, but this is his thirteenth year in the NFL; he may be at the end this year. Then again, with the help of Lott, he may be in great shape and could go a couple more...

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Depending on if we WIN IT ALL this year.I'd have to say in an uncapped year we look for a dream guy like Rolando McClain but every team in the NFL needs a MLB right now and he's so hot no way will the 32nd team in the NFL get their hands on him.

I'd say Dansby is given his 3rd wrap up thus forcing him to play balls out again,as Laura says all year.Unless he wants to come off his dream payday,which I doubt he does.Coach Davis built this defense we run behind the skills Dansby has right now.I'd say he stays for another year along with Q who I doubt any team will give up the precious draft picks as they did'nt last year when he was ALL WORLD.Now he's a year older and has shown injury again and he's worth more to the CARDINALS than anyone.

I say we bring in a guy who can not do what Q can do but make up for ALL of his contributions in a second round pick in Texas' Shipley who can run pro routes already and is a go to reciever that Warner would love.Plus if Warner comes back,He's gonna want his Q to be here to play again.You can count on that.

I agree Rolle has to be resigned as Rashad Johnson isn't coming as fast as I thought he would but he will.Thats such a cerebral position and Matt Ware is learning to tackle better but also struggles in the safety position.I like Adams and what he is bringing to this defense as Davis is really using the kid to do more than most think.He's everywhere.

We've got to tender so many people next year it isn't funny.Thats what happens when you draft as well as the CARDINALS have recently.Plus I'd let Krieder go.We can do SO MUCH better at the Fullback position.I've seen too many misses by Krieder with his head down and he's really hurt us a lot this year.I know he's made his share also.I just think we can do much better.

I'll repeat.McClain would be a dream if the CARDINALS had him on their team but he will be gone by another team long before the CARDINALS get a shot and we need all of our draft picks and no team will offer the ranch for Q this year that did'nt last year.It would take a lot to move up high enough to reach McClain in this draft.I don't want Spikes and I live here in Florida.He could'nt get the job done for us.I don't like his effort and I've watched every play he's made or missed.He has many other good players around him that made him look better than he is.

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love John Lott. But it would not even be close to the end all be all should he leave. It wont be the devastating outcome you make it sound. If he is asking for to much money let him walk.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice anlysis Micth. If Warner does come back then its decision time on Leinart.
It would be his 5th year and his contract (I believe) does escalate too highly for him to be sitting. Picking a QB in the 3rd round or lower would make sense if they trade him or cut him.

Here is a list of our free agents. There certainly are some major decisions to be made

Anthony Becht TE UFA
Betrand Berry DE UFA
Steve Breaston WR RFA
Jeremy Bridges OG UFA
Ralph Brown CB UFA
Dominique Byrd TE RFA
Ben Claxton OF RFA
Karlos Dansby ILB UFA
Mike Gandy OT UFA
Justin Green FB RFA
Dan Kreider FB UFA
Deuce Lutui OG RFA
Sean Morey WR UFA
Chike Okeafor OLB UFA
Ben Patrick TE RFA
Neil Rackers PK UFA
Bryan Robinson DT UFA
Lyle Sendlein C RFA
Stephen Spach TE RFA
Brian St. Pierre QB UFA
Jerheme Urban WR UFA
Matt Ware S UFA
Gabe Watson DT RFA

Last edited:

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Mitch, I don't want to jinx us so I wont say it, other than, if we go really, really, really deep into the playoffs and I like to eat enchiladas whole. IMO, Warner would not return the following year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Dont forget about the upcoming 2010 uncapped year. Right now it looks about a 90% chance it will stay uncapped, even if a new CBA is done it still may stay uncapped for 2010 only because all of the teams have and are already planning for it. Teams have already taken the extra cap hits this year when they cut someone because their whole cap hit hit this year instead of spread out over to years like normal. So when ever anyone thinks about doing a look into the future it would be a best bet to look at it in terms of 2010 uncapped rules.

A good portion of our players will be RFA's because of the uncapped rules. That includes players such as Lutui and Watson.

Just my own little side note at this point in time the most important UFA behind Dansby to get re-signed is Rackers.

On Dan LeFevour I generally dont like spread O QB's. And Central Michigan is one of the most spread O offenses in college ball. He tucks the ball and runs way to often and his down field accuracy and power is horrible. Rarely is even allowed to throw down field because of it. Anything under 8 yards an attempt in college is a dink and dunker. Not so sure that is a fit for Fitz and Breaston who like to work the over the top routes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My big question on the DL is will Gabe Watson be able to get back to the guy he was in 2007 or it that no longer possible? Watson in 07 was a valuable member of the defense, started all 16 games. Then he got hurt and had a tough year last year, and he's lost the job to Robinson.

We've seen this year where Branch has emerged, the question is can Watson do the same thing next year. If he can't, we're probably going to have to draft a NT or look to sign one because as others said Robinson is getting up there in years.

I think we have obvious OLB issues with Okeafor and Berry's age, and we probably have to replace Dansby.I'm hoping Cody Brown can do the job at OLB next year. I think Dockett is going to want more money but he's probably going to end up franchised if we can't sign him outright.

I think LB is the biggest need for the draft but we're truly in a position to take the best player on the board.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My big question on the DL is will Gabe Watson be able to get back to the guy he was in 2007 or it that no longer possible? Watson in 07 was a valuable member of the defense, started all 16 games. Then he got hurt and had a tough year last year, and he's lost the job to Robinson.

We've seen this year where Branch has emerged, the question is can Watson do the same thing next year. If he can't, we're probably going to have to draft a NT or look to sign one because as others said Robinson is getting up there in years.

I think we have obvious OLB issues with Okeafor and Berry's age, and we probably have to replace Dansby.I'm hoping Cody Brown can do the job at OLB next year. I think Dockett is going to want more money but he's probably going to end up franchised if we can't sign him outright.

I think LB is the biggest need for the draft but we're truly in a position to take the best player on the board.

I doubt that Graves is gonna do anything but let Dockett know he hears him and thats about it.We've got him under contract for too many years for us to worry about that.We've got too many players like Rackers mentioned by Joe to worry about getting back under contract and so many restricted free agents to tender also at the highest range.

Watson is still battling that knee injury again this year and Okeafor & Berry may want another year if we win it all.Its all gonna be up to what Whiz wants as a proper mix of veterans and youth.We don't want to have what happened this year in older vets getting banged up and being out.Although I'd say we've had about as little problem as any team in the league with injuries for two years already.I know we have time to go left for things to happen and Kurt has a hip pointer but the CARDINALS have been very healthy compared to even the saints if you look at the injury list of that team and all the players they have on IR you will wonder how they won as many games as they have.

I disagree that Coach Lott is not worth the money.I don't know if he has idea's of going someplace else or wants more money or wants to retire but I'd pay him what he wants.Its really shown in our players being ready for a full season along with Whiz never rushing a rookie onto the field and having players ready for the PLAYOFFS when it counts is always the key.

If the Bengals win tomorrow then I'll bet coach Whiz will have to change some strategies about resting folks when now we'll have a shot at the #2 playoff spot in the NFC.Still hoping the collapse we started with the vikes continues until the last game with the giants.Crazier things have happened but it sure makes you look back on that titans game we should have won and just one more loss from the vikes and we could have secured the 2nd position.What a shame.

We'll get it done one way or the other.I think this team has really grown up a ton in the last 2 to 3 years.The ROAD WINS show nothing but TEAM Maturity.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
I think with the uncertainty of the CBA, contract extension that teams usually do before the season ends just will not happen this year. I think that all teams will have trouble signing players to longterm contracts this offseason.

Hopefully the CBA gets done before March 1st so teams can longterm plan. Otherwise teams will struggle figuring out what kind of contracts to offer not only to players, but to coaches also, because if there is no CBA on March 1st, there probably will be a lockout in 2011. The lockout would last until a new CBA is finalized. Seems like those things do not even get negotiated until some deadline is close, say the start of the 2011 NFL season. Which means we could have a late start or a shorter season in 2011.

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
Every team is going to make mistakes and some that will cost the team ballgames. But, it's the way in which teams respond to those mistakes that is the measure of the players' true character and the coaches' innate ability to motivate. Davis deserves to be commended for bringing a style and purpose and resiliency to the defense that we haven't seen in ages.

emmm lets not crown his a$$ just yet. A sign of a great team might be how they respond. a sign of a great coach is to get the team to play at a high level consitantly so they don't have to keep responding and right now one swallow does not a summer make.
Lets remember that 'responding' is what you do after failure in this instance.

otherwise bang on target Mitch :clapping:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that Graves is gonna do anything but let Dockett know he hears him and thats about it.We've got him under contract for too many years for us to worry about that.We've got too many players like Rackers mentioned by Joe to worry about getting back under contract and so many restricted free agents to tender also at the highest range.

Agreed, not sure why I was thinking Dockett's deal is nearly up since it's been discussed so much. But you're right we're very unlikely to do anything with his deal since he's signed.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Mitch, Switch Lefevour for T. Pike and I would like that draft...

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think with the uncertainty of the CBA, contract extension that teams usually do before the season ends just will not happen this year. I think that all teams will have trouble signing players to longterm contracts this offseason.

Hopefully the CBA gets done before March 1st so teams can longterm plan. Otherwise teams will struggle figuring out what kind of contracts to offer not only to players, but to coaches also, because if there is no CBA on March 1st, there probably will be a lockout in 2011. The lockout would last until a new CBA is finalized. Seems like those things do not even get negotiated until some deadline is close, say the start of the 2011 NFL season. Which means we could have a late start or a shorter season in 2011.

I think this is dead on and I also hate to bring a wet rag to this post but knowing what I do of Goodell right now I don't expect any NFL quality football in 2011.I think the deal is gonna show us the greed on both sides and its gonna make Jerry Jones squeek with the bills he's got to pay on that cathedral he's built.

I'm not sure Goodell can do what his predecessors did.Not that I'm that big a fan of Rozelle or Tags either.They had their bad spots too.This is just another CRITICAL TIME in the history of the NFL.What is Goodell made of? We'll all soon see.

We'll sure need ole' JOE around here to keep us up on whats what.The big bad meanie.:D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I know that Robinson may be called the starter on the official depth chart but in reality they could actually be called co-starters. Robinson has 246 snaps and Watson has 227 snaps. With Watson not getting a lot of snaps to start the season its probably Watson who has been receiving most of the snaps the last half of the season.

But you are still correct, if Robinson retires which isn't out of the realm of possibility considering he will be 36 before training camp even starts for the 2010 season or isn't re-signed then we will still need a big fatty to backup or take half the snaps with Watson in 2010.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Mitch, Switch Lefevour for T. Pike and I would like that draft...

I am not so sure about Pike either. Love his physical attributes, he looks the part, could stand to gain 10 pounds though right now he is a 6'6" stick of a human being also has a strong enough arm to make any throw in the NFL. But his accuracy is pretty bad and hasn't shown the decision making or improvement each year that a 3 year starter should be showing at this point.

I know Tim Tebow is a polarizing figuring among draftnics but I think under the right situation Tebow would be a really good QB if given the chance. The guy is humble, confident, great leader, hard working, smart, has that fire, every intangible you could possibly want in a QB. He has every single physical attribute you want in a QB as well, speed, strength, arm strength, and so on. But does he have the mental aspect of a QB, experience or technique you want in a QB? That would be a big no. Although he lives in the film room he could stand to learn a lot about reading a defense, how to actually play in a pro style offense, and proper throwing and drop back technique.

Here is why I actually think he would actually learn all of that on the Cards team. Him and Warner have a ton in common and would become great friends on and off the field. The guy is smart, hard working, highly motivated to be great, and is a big time christian. He would follow around Warner like a wide eyed puppy dog the moment he gets off the plane. If we decided to not give Matt an extension for multiple reasons and go in a different direction I actually would not mind drafting Tebow at the end of the 1st round if still there.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I say we bring in a guy who can not do what Q can do but make up for ALL of his contributions in a second round pick in Texas' Shipley who can run pro routes already and is a go to reciever that Warner would love.

I finally have gotten around to watching O players in college ball after heavily concentrating on D players earlier and I completely agree with you on Shipley.

You are dead on, kid already runs pro style routes like a pro. He is fearless even over the middle. He also knows how to read a react to zone coverages like a guy who spends 24 hours in the film room. In a copy cat league I think teams are going to fall in love with him to try and find the next Wes Welker. He would be the perfect guy to put in the slot with Fitz and Breaston on the edge.

I'll repeat.McClain would be a dream if the CARDINALS had him on their team but he will be gone by another team long before the CARDINALS get a shot and we need all of our draft picks and no team will offer the ranch for Q this year that did'nt last year.It would take a lot to move up high enough to reach McClain in this draft.I don't want Spikes and I live here in Florida.He could'nt get the job done for us.I don't like his effort and I've watched every play he's made or missed.He has many other good players around him that made him look better than he is.

I still really like Spikes but I have downgraded him one spot on my top 5 ILB prospect list. I am loving this AJ Edds kid out of Iowa and he is now right behind McLain. I think Edds is the closest thing to Dansby that college football has to offer. If anyone wants to watch great LB play watch a Iowa football game, because they have the best trio of LB's in college ball right now IMO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Long gone by the time we draft.

I wouldnt be so sure. There are a lot of highly regard QB prospects in the upcoming draft. And it might get a lot better if Locker or Mallet come out early. It is a copy league and teams want their 1st round rookie QB's to start right away, and that just wouldn't be Tebow. No one has the time or patience to wait for their first round QB to be groomed. If he doesnt go to Jax I think he has a high chance of dropping to the bottom of the first.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While Leinart has been no world beater, I shutter at the thought of having St Pierre as the backup. Mitch, I know you are no fan of Matts, but I really fail to see what you do in St Pierre.

If Leinart goes elsewhere, which he may well, could any of us sleep at night with St Pierre as backup and some draft pick as the 3rd? Ye gods and little fishes. a scary thought should Warner miss games.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I LOVE Lott. In fact, when he was signed (what, 3 years ago?), I said in a thread here that he may well be the most important of all the signings and if my memory serves me well, I think I said that he was at least as important as Whis. One of you search geniuses on here can find it (if you would). I'm a caveman when it comes to computers....

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVE Lott. In fact, when he was signed (what, 3 years ago?), I said in a thread here that he may well be the most important of all the signings and if my memory serves me well, I think I said that he was at least as important as Whis. One of you search geniuses on here can find it (if you would). I'm a caveman when it comes to computers....

So easy, even a caveman can do it! :)

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1240331&postcount=6

...dave