• HaHa, No.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Bring him in!

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I talked to them about Splitter today. Splitter will be in the draft this season, and he cannot pull out. Also, Tau is going to let him leave. He is NOT another Fran Vasquez. Fran Vasquez is basically Tiago Splitter 3 years ago, except he didn't pull out.
I'm not comparing them as players at all. What I'm pointing out is that the same 'risk factors' that Vasquez had (forced into draft by age limit, and clearly comfortable with his current team, a big-money Euro team who'll work aggressively to keep him) are all present for Splitter as well.

If Splitter doesn't come over to the U.S. for workouts, he'll drop through the draft like a stone. This year's draft is too deep and too good for a team to throw away its pick on a player who could easily stay in Europe for the rest of his career.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I just have to point out that nbadraft.net is complete trash. Draftexpress is really the only draft site worth paying attention to.

Especially when it comes to international players. Their network overseas is pretty much ridiculous. And I can tell you that the amount of tape they watch on draft prospects blows the average NBA team scouting department out of the water. And actually their college network is even better - I can't even begin to explain just how hard these guys work. Their dedication is amazing, and I know for a fact that at least 4-5 NBA teams invite Jonathan into their draft war room for his take on players.

I talked to them about Splitter today. Splitter will be in the draft this season, and he cannot pull out.

Also, Tau is going to let him leave.

He is NOT another Fran Vasquez. Fran Vasquez is basically Tiago Splitter 3 years ago, except he didn't pull out.

Right now he has some back issues, and no one really knows how bad they are. It hasn't been anything chronic, and it just started - still scary though.

With that said, if the back isn't bad - he is without a doubt a top 10 lock. I've heard from some of their guys that he is the most NBA ready player (this does not mean the best player) in this draft. 7-feet tall, athletic and a great a defender.

For those who haven't read his profile the have, I posted the link.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=25

You all are joking if you think we would get Splitter without using the Atlanta pick on him.

thegrahamcrackr,
This is from draft express........

Most NBA fans are probably tired of seeing Tiago Splitter declaring and withdrawing from the draft every year seemingly. The fact is that the lack of a buyout in his contract and the wealthy status of his European team Tau Vitoria haven’t allowed him to stay in without risking a plummet in his draft stock due to those contract issues. A favorable buyout had actually been negotiated for the 2003 draft (see links: Chicago pre-draft camp), and Splitter came over for a workout, but no team in the top 20 was wise enough to see his potential and take advantage of the situation.

For 2006, there’s apparently no difference on the horizon. As DraftExpress recently reported, there’s no buyout set, and his team is openly and unequivocally stating that the player will continue in Vitoria for another season. Without contract complications, the Brazilian would be a lock for the lottery and, most likely, a top-10 pick.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I just have to point out that nbadraft.net is complete trash. Draftexpress is really the only draft site worth paying attention to.

Especially when it comes to international players. Their network overseas is pretty much ridiculous. And I can tell you that the amount of tape they watch on draft prospects blows the average NBA team scouting department out of the water. And actually their college network is even better - I can't even begin to explain just how hard these guys work. Their dedication is amazing, and I know for a fact that at least 4-5 NBA teams invite Jonathan into their draft war room for his take on players.

I talked to them about Splitter today. Splitter will be in the draft this season, and he cannot pull out. Also, Tau is going to let him leave. He is NOT another Fran Vasquez. Fran Vasquez is basically Tiago Splitter 3 years ago, except he didn't pull out.

Right now he has some back issues, and no one really knows how bad they are. It hasn't been anything chronic, and it just started - still scary though.

With that said, if the back isn't bad - he is without a doubt a top 10 lock. I've heard from some of their guys that he is the most NBA ready player (this does not mean the best player) in this draft. 7-feet tall, athletic and a great a defender.

For those who haven't read his profile the have, I posted the link.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=25

You all are joking if you think we would get Splitter without using the Atlanta pick on him.

So..... How long you been working for Draftexpress? :D

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr,

For 2006, there’s apparently no difference on the horizon. As DraftExpress recently reported, there’s no buyout set, and his team is openly and unequivocally stating that the player will continue in Vitoria for another season. Without contract complications, the Brazilian would be a lock for the lottery and, most likely, a top-10 pick.

Well that doesn't really matter because we are in the 2007 draft now.

My information is from Jon Givony, the owner of DX.

And I don't work for them, just have a very friendly working relationship :) Seriously though, I wouldn't put my name on something that wasn't any good. And if you want good draft coverage, nothing else compares.

sunsfn

Reaction score

And I don't work for them, just have a very friendly working relationship :) Seriously though, I wouldn't put my name on something that wasn't any good. And if you want good draft coverage, nothing else compares.

I just realized they have not updated Splitter since 4/2006..........

I still write 2006 on my checks! :)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I also saw a post from Jonathan on realgm about a year ago on this subject. He said Splitter's euro team will be forced to let him leave this year because if they don't they'll get no compensation the following year.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I'm not comparing them as players at all. What I'm pointing out is that the same 'risk factors' that Vasquez had (forced into draft by age limit, and clearly comfortable with his current team, a big-money Euro team who'll work aggressively to keep him) are all present for Splitter as well.

If Splitter doesn't come over to the U.S. for workouts, he'll drop through the draft like a stone. This year's draft is too deep and too good for a team to throw away its pick on a player who could easily stay in Europe for the rest of his career.

I wasn't comparing them as players either. I was saying that Fran Vasquez pulled a Tiago Splitter, not the other way around.

The only difference is that Tiago always pulled out so no team got stuck while he spent the last 3 seasons in Europe. Think of Tiago as Fran Vasquez in 2 years, but still having draft eligibility.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Vasquez wasn't allowed to pull out, because he was 23.

Just as Splitter isn't allowed to pull out this year.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Vasquez wasn't allowed to pull out, because he was 23.

Just as Splitter isn't allowed to pull out this year.

Now I see where you were getting at.

Still doesn't really make them comparable to me. Splitter isn't forced into entering this draft, its actually his first real chance at freedom. He has been trying to enter the NBA for a long time, but could never get a good enough promise because of his buyout situation.

I don't think Splitter is wanting to stay in Europe like Vasquez did.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
Splitter is this year's Fran Vasquez--he's in the draft because of the age limit, not because he's so keen to play in the U.S., and unless he's drafted in the top 5, he's looking at a gigantic pay cut to come over and play on a four-year rookie contract.

That's in addition to the usual buyout issues he'll face.

The place to draft Splitter is early in the second round: not only will there be less risk in picking him, his team will be able to negotiate a (more) competitive starting salary for him.

You couldnt be more wrong. I've told persnonally with Splitter several times and he couldnt wish more play in the NBA.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score

I'm sure you're right, but Draftexpress is HORRIBLE when it comes to write-ups and comparisons. I have no doubt that Givony is great at scouting, but his website is lacking. I expect guys in the second round to have limited write-ups, but guys like Durant, Horford and Wright have nothing written at all. That's why I still like NBAdraft.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right, but Draftexpress is HORRIBLE when it comes to write-ups and comparisons. I have no doubt that Givony is great at scouting, but his website is lacking. I expect guys in the second round to have limited write-ups, but guys like Durant, Horford and Wright have nothing written at all. That's why I still like NBAdraft.

They have moved Durant into being drafted first this year.

There is no way that Durant gets drafted before Odom!! When Odom finishes out this year and gets his right hand healed, he will be the first pick in the draft.
They also do not have a write up on Odom.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Draftexpress write-ups are by far the best, they just haven't updated them recently. The closer it gets to the draft the more info they'll release.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
DX is also moving to a subscription based service, which probably has a lot to do with the writeups

And Sunsfan, its Oden not Odom. And depending on the team there is a possibility that Durant goes number 1. Oden is billed as a defensive stopper right now with a decent offensive game. Durant is an offensive juggernaught with "matador" defense.

They both have the ability to dominate at both ends, and each is dominating at the opposite side as the other right now. Its a good year to be in the top 2, we can just leave it at that.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Durant is an above average defender.

Oden is better offensively than Durant defensively, IMO.

"Matador defense" means you let people run right past you. Bad defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05