Today's games...

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Spurs are on a roll... it will be an interesting matchup in a week or so with Suns.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Because when he doesn't, people call him a ball hog. Kobe will get the shaft no matter what he does. If he takes the shot and it goes in, he's a hero but a ball hog. If he shoots it and it doesn't go in, he'll get bashed all week for not dishing. If he dishes and the guy misses, he gets flack for not taking the shot.

Come on. He's consistently voted the MVP of the league--you actually have the cajones to say that he'll get bashed if he makes the game winner? Seriously? He's the only one that CAN make a game winner on that team, even with Bynum and Gasol healthy. He made a stupid decision--Kobe Bryant is made to take that last shot. Period. If he misses and someone comes back and slams him for not passing to Luke Walton or Sasha Vujacic, then they know nothing about basketball.

Loving Kobe is one thing, but acting like he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't is something completely ridiculous.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Because when he doesn't, people call him a ball hog. Kobe will get the shaft no matter what he does. If he takes the shot and it goes in, he's a hero but a ball hog. If he shoots it and it doesn't go in, he'll get bashed all week for not dishing. If he dishes and the guy misses, he gets flack for not taking the shot.

and such are the consequences of being a superstar.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
McGrady is one of the most overrated players. I will puke if he gets starting votes in all star game again. His numbers today 4-17 FG, 3-7 FT, 0-1 3 Ptrs, 4 Asts.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Looks like the bubble has burst on the Rockets. Today's loss will drop them to 3-4 since the streak, and McGrady is whining about being hurt again. How far will they fall in the playoff seeding?

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Come on. He's consistently voted the MVP of the league--you actually have the cajones to say that he'll get bashed if he makes the game winner? Seriously? He's the only one that CAN make a game winner on that team, even with Bynum and Gasol healthy. He made a stupid decision--Kobe Bryant is made to take that last shot. Period. If he misses and someone comes back and slams him for not passing to Luke Walton or Sasha Vujacic, then they know nothing about basketball.

Loving Kobe is one thing, but acting like he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't is something completely ridiculous.

What Darth says is true. Kobe is as was stated of most superstars, put under a microscope. He passed the ball because odom was wide open for the shot and he was being double teamed on a difficult drive. It was ABSOLUTELY the correct basketball decision contrary to what other posters herehave to say because they simply hate on Kobe regardless what he does. The point Darth was making, i believe, was that if Kobe goes for the difficult shot in the very same situation and misses then all the haters say hes a hog, shouldnt have taken the contested shot and passed to the open man, he obviously doesnt trust his teamates etc.... He made the proper decision, Odom didnt come through. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Nash

Reaction score
wow ! Utah lost to Minny!
Thanks to the fact that their division sucks, I guess this won't affect their seeding.. so yeah.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I think Jazz is stuck at 4th but it is the win/loss that can give home court advantage in case we settle at 5th.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What Darth says is true. Kobe is as was stated of most superstars, put under a microscope. He passed the ball because odom was wide open for the shot and he was being double teamed on a difficult drive. It was ABSOLUTELY the correct basketball decision contrary to what other posters herehave to say because they simply hate on Kobe regardless what he does. The point Darth was making, i believe, was that if Kobe goes for the difficult shot in the very same situation and misses then all the haters say hes a hog, shouldnt have taken the contested shot and passed to the open man, he obviously doesnt trust his teamates etc.... He made the proper decision, Odom didnt come through. Simple as that.

In a playoff game where his teammates are playing well, sure. But this is a regular season game against a lesser opponent and he was the only one making any kind of shot. Kobe IS a ballhog! That's not new news. Here's the thing, and as a laker fan, maybe you can answer this--take all the times Kobe has taken the last shot to win a game, vs. the times he passed it up to win a game, which one of those scenarios do you think has the better record?

If Kobe Bryant is the only one scoring any points for a team playing crappy, you have to take that last shot. Lamar Odom? If you needed a rebound at the end of the game, sure, he's your man. But to get points on the board, you have to go to Kobe Bryant. HAVE to.

I find it funny that you guys bring this us as if it is some sort of problem. Woe is me! Woe is me! Kobe can't win whether he takes the last shot or not! Nobody's going to feel sorry for Kobe Bryant for missing the shot--but there's a reason why he's the best basketball player on the planet--and I think passing out to Lamar freaking Odom is the wrong move in that specific situation.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
with a lakers loss today, we move into the 3 seed. we would be playing houston in the first round if that happens.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before, but I think it's horrible that the Miami Heat are basically playing with a NBDL roster and holding out their best players. They have the worst record locked up by 3 1/2 games and Ricky Davis is the only decent NBA player getting minutes for them (I guess you could put Mark Blount in that category....maybe if it was 2003).

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looks like the bubble has burst on the Rockets. Today's loss will drop them to 3-4 since the streak, and McGrady is whining about being hurt again. How far will they fall in the playoff seeding?

We need to root for the rockets to stay at 6, so we have an easy first round matchup.

Actually chances are much better the rockets stay at 6 (easy schedule) then we jump up to 3.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
In a playoff game where his teammates are playing well, sure. But this is a regular season game against a lesser opponent and he was the only one making any kind of shot. Kobe IS a ballhog! That's not new news. Here's the thing, and as a laker fan, maybe you can answer this--take all the times Kobe has taken the last shot to win a game, vs. the times he passed it up to win a game, which one of those scenarios do you think has the better record?

If Kobe Bryant is the only one scoring any points for a team playing crappy, you have to take that last shot. Lamar Odom? If you needed a rebound at the end of the game, sure, he's your man. But to get points on the board, you have to go to Kobe Bryant. HAVE to.

I find it funny that you guys bring this us as if it is some sort of problem. Woe is me! Woe is me! Kobe can't win whether he takes the last shot or not! Nobody's going to feel sorry for Kobe Bryant for missing the shot--but there's a reason why he's the best basketball player on the planet--and I think passing out to Lamar freaking Odom is the wrong move in that specific situation.

I totally understand where you are comming from, but again, its a fine line. Kobe has been much more of a facilator this year by driving and kicking. He has been allowed to do so because the role players have stepped up this year and are hitting shots. There are times when Kobe is going to be doubled and or trippled at the end of games and he has to depend on the others. I believe this was one of those times. Odom, now dont get me wrong cause i am not a huge odom (in the clutch) fan, has been shooting the lights out the last 10 to 15 games. Like 60% FG. So again, I say Kobe made the right call, Odom just didnt come through. He was like 2 for 15 or something that game SUPPOSEDLY cause of the flu.

But as you said, the majority of the times, if its an open shot, id want kobe taking it. In my mind, i dont like the way the lakers hold up for the last shot anyway. I think they should run the offense and when it gets to the 10 second mark you make a move to basket within the offense. Holding the ball at the top of the key and allowing the defense to lock on and focus is not the answer in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before, but I think it's horrible that the Miami Heat are basically playing with a NBDL roster and holding out their best players. They have the worst record locked up by 3 1/2 games and Ricky Davis is the only decent NBA player getting minutes for them (I guess you could put Mark Blount in that category....maybe if it was 2003).

I would be upset if I bought season tickets. The people who go to Heat games must be diehard fans or really bored.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05