Trade Joe Johnson??

klatk

Reaction score
So not to be a JJ basher here... but is anyone else concerned that since Amare has come back, JJ's reverted to not being so productive?

Like when before Marbury and Penny left?

After they did and he was The Man, he produced big numbers, but when he's not, he can't? D'Antoni's move of JJ to point really seems to be a move of desperation here.

If it doesn't work, and I'm not convinced it will, and if it proves that his ego is so fragile that he needs to be The Man, then wouldn't the Suns be better off if we traded him? Now, while his stock is still high????

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He can't be traded now -- the NBA trading deadline has passed. By this summer, he'll either have shown enough promise (again) that the Suns will want to keep him, or he'll have continued to stink, in which case no one will want him.

The simpler course would be just to let his contract expire at the end of next season.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
JJ won the game tonight.

Joe Johnson is a bargain at least unlike another underachiever on this team.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I am not really concerned with JJ. His shooting % has been down but I think he will learn. Some players develop at different rates and JJ is still young and learning.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Does Joe Johnson need every other star player off the team to be successful? He better learn how to handle the secondary role because with Amare leading the team that is all he is ever going to be

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
At least JJ plays great defense and plays hard every game.

Yeah JJ's % was bad today, but so was Amare's :D

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In two years this will be a great team. Let them grow together.

Neither Marion, JJ, Amare, Zarko, Barbosa, or Zarko should be traded anytime soon.

Our bench needs to be strengthened...that is pretty much it in my opinion.

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders

Neither Marion, JJ, Amare, Zarko, Barbosa, or Zarko should be traded anytime soon.

YEP! How cool is it that the Suns are full of young guys. Pretty much every team talks about getting younger. Heck, the Suns are there. I am for letting them grow together. I'd add Casey to the list, too.

If the Suns aren't going to be good, might as well be bad with the youngest team in the league. They've got nowhere to go but up.

They're still brutal to watch sometimes, but games like tonight help....

Brad

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders

Originally posted by NDSunsfan
YEP! How cool is it that the Suns are full of young guys. Pretty much every team talks about getting younger. Heck, the Suns are there. I am for letting them grow together. I'd add Casey to the list, too.

If the Suns aren't going to be good, might as well be bad with the youngest team in the league. They've got nowhere to go but up.

They're still brutal to watch sometimes, but games like tonight help....

Brad

:raccoon:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
To put this bluntly:

F*ck being young and "growing together!" What is so great about that!? Tear this team apart even more just to win a championship if needed. Hell, I'd Trade Amare in a second if I was guaraunteed a championship.

Plus, once the team wins their championship and is forced to dismantle we can go through 5 fantastic years of being excited about being so "young and upcoming!" WOO HOO!

Good game tonight btw. ;)

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no guaranteed championships. Just look at the Lakers. They were crowned at the start of the season as 2004 NBA champions and now I would say they will probably lose in the first round.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ is getting a lot more attention from opponent's defenses, they are packed in more than they were when the team played small ball, and he is not the first option like he was before Amare was back.

So what? JJ is the team's best perimeter defender, he rebounds, makes assists, can play the point, finishes well on the break, and has nice mid range jumper. He averages 16.2 ppg shooting on just under 43% from the field. He averages 39.4 minutes per game and is able to hit shots in the fourth quarter.

Oh yes, he is only 23. JJ may never be a superstar, but he is developing into a very good one.

The Suns have a history of giving away young players too quickly. Trading JJ makes no sense at all.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I love JJ. Cant really complain about a guy with his skills at 23 years old. Hell, 16 points a game was pretty good last time I checked.

We dont need him to be a superstar.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
I love JJ. Cant really complain about a guy with his skills at 23 years old. Hell, 16 points a game was pretty good last time I checked.

We dont need him to be a superstar.

Some people compare JJ to Scottie Pippen. Pippen had a better shooting percentage from the start, but their overall games of rebounds, assists, and steals are quite similar. He was older when he started but he improved every year for his first five years.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with George. Everybody keeps talking about what has happened to JJ since Amare Stoudemire returned. The problem isn't Amare's presence. JJ is struggling with the defensive attention he has been getting since he went on that tear. I also don't think he is as productive in a traditional lineup with a power forward and a center. He was better in a spread out small ball offense.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I'm with George. Everybody keeps talking about what has happened to JJ since Amare Stoudemire returned. The problem isn't Amare's presence. JJ is struggling with the defensive attention he has been getting since he went on that tear. I also don't think he is as productive in a traditional lineup with a power forward and a center. He was better in a spread out small ball offense.

Joe Mama

I really think JJ would thrive in Kings style high post offense. He moves without the ball and would be much more effective if the opposing center has to go out to the high post to defend.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
I really think JJ would thrive in Kings style high post offense. He moves without the ball and would be much more effective if the opposing center has to go out to the high post to defend.

It seems that is what the Suns are trying to do with Lampe and Zarko to workt the high post.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
It seems that is what the Suns are trying to do with Lampe and Zarko to workt the high post.

We've just seen hints of that, but it seems like a logical move. It is hard to impliment a new offense in mid season, so I can't tell if these are just a few plays or signs of major overhaul.

There is no reason why Jake can't do at least an adequate job at the high post. He can hit that short jumper and made a great pass to Amare for a jam a against Dallas. In every case, it would take working on it and getting use to process.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
We've just seen hints of that, but it seems like a logical move. It is hard to impliment a new offense in mid season, so I can't tell if these are just a few plays or signs of major overhaul.

There is no reason why Jake can't do at least an adequate job at the high post. He can hit that short jumper and made a great pass to Amare for a jam a against Dallas. In every case, it would take working on it and getting use to process.

Jake is a great energy guy to have off the bench I don't see us running our O though him. I would much rather see Zarko handle the ball at the high post.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Jake is a great energy guy to have off the bench I don't see us running our O though him. I would much rather see Zarko handle the ball at the high post.

I agree that Lampe and Carbakapa are better suited to the passing high post, but I think Jake can still contribute even with the change in offense. On the other hand, I would not use White there.

If the Suns keep White, then they would have to either change the offense when he is in the lineup or use him to backup Amare.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05