Trade Marion

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by JizzHornay
He is good, but not worth the money. Trade him...

Lets hear the thoughts!

Any plans for how to accomplish this? This has been talked about, Marion is a BYC player and difficult to trade.

Also I think he will be a great 3rd option in 2 years. It would be difficult to replace his scoring right now.
I don't know if he is worth the money either but I haven't seen a better option so far.

OP
OP
AnotherHOMER

AnotherHOMER

Reaction score
I bet we could get a forward from the Blazers. They are looking to dump some players. Marion hopefully still has some cloute.

scotsman13

Reaction score
well lets see you think that we could get someone from the blazers? 3/4 of their roster has had drug problems if you dont know enough about this team that they will never again let a druguser on team. the last one was dumas and it cost JC over 12 million for him. when something cost you 12 million dollars to learn something it stays with you for a while. on top of what drugs almost did to this team in the 80's.

one more thing is that the blazers are trying to cut their saleries. wallace will be gone this year, stoudamire as soon as they cant. heck if they can get some good value for him i am sure they would trade zack after his latest drug bust. so no the suns wont make any trades of marion to portland.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
What is BYC?
Base Year Compensation (BYC) When teams re-sign their veteran free agents under the Larry Bird exception for 20 percent more than their last contract and the team is over the salary cap, the player falls under the BYC category.

If a team with a BYC player wants to trade him straight up to another team that is under the cap, the BYC player's value is cut in half. That is because the team can only receive a player that's worth 50 percent of the first year of the player's new contract (plus 15 percent and $100,000).

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BYC

I was not aware as to exactly how it works, but it is typical of just how strange the cap rules are. For whatever it is worth, Portland is currently well over the cap this year and could be well under next year if they do not make any deals.

As for trading Marion, I think it might happen, but not soon. Even after Zarko comes back, I'm not sure he will be a good enough defender to completely replace Shawn.

I can see no way that Portland does a Marion for Randolph trade, even if you can make the numbers work.

Last edited:

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Yes, Marion is over paid. BUT WE MUST BE PATIENT. This guy is 25 pt 10 reb potential. Just be patient.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phill11
Yes, Marion is over paid. BUT WE MUST BE PATIENT. This guy is 25 pt 10 reb potential. Just be patient.

I think he can be 25-10 right now. For some reason, it ain't happening though.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
25-10 is nice. but the question is what it takes to get those numbers. 25 ppg on 38% shooting is not good. Rebounds at the expense of defense can also be a problem.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
25-10 is nice. but the question is what it takes to get those numbers. 25 ppg on 38% shooting is not good.

Then why does everyone in the league think that AI is a godsend? He is shooting under 40% for the year, and boasts a career average of around 42%.

Compared to Marion who is shooting just under 44% for the year, and just under 47% for his career.

Those numbers would be higher if he didn't shoot so many threes. This year he is averaging 3.3 3pt attempts, shooting only 31%. His career he shot 1.3 at a 32% clip

sunsfn

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Shawn Marion is not going anywhere..............!

:bang:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by sunsfn
Hey Y'all,

Shawn Marion is not going anywhere..............!

:bang:

Exactly, enough already.

The "core" players are not going anywhere. At least I would hope not Marion, they just signed the guy. They need to ride this group of players, at least until some of these big contracts expire. Then they re-sign Stoudemire and fill in some other players.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retire Googs instead. Then retire Penny.

Until those two things happen, the upside is limited.

Heard Bob Young on radio today. He put most of the blame on the players, not Frank Johnson. I tend to agree.

D'Antonuts was quoted by Bob Young this morning as thanking the players for allowing the coach to yell at them. He lost me right there and then.

I know I'm in the minority here but the Colangelo eye is focused on baseball now and the best we can hope for is that he sells the Suns.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion

I know I'm in the minority here but the Colangelo eye is focused on baseball now and the best we can hope for is that he sells the Suns. [/B]

Agreed 100%. JC's a baseball guy first and foremost, and between messing up the Dbacks and concentrating on his grandiose plans to renovate downtown Phoenix, it appears he's letting Junior run the b-ball show.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marion is not a superstar in this league...never will

Why the hell did they pay him like one?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
Then why does everyone in the league think that AI is a godsend? He is shooting under 40% for the year, and boasts a career average of around 42%.

Compared to Marion who is shooting just under 44% for the year, and just under 47% for his career.

Those numbers would be higher if he didn't shoot so many threes. This year he is averaging 3.3 3pt attempts, shooting only 31%. His career he shot 1.3 at a 32% clip

I'll tell you why AI is different. He commands constant attention from the defense. He opens up the game for his teammates. If the entire focus of the defense was on Shawn Marion he wouldn't do anything.

One thing I keep hearing people talk about that disagree with that Shawn Marion is a poor ball handler. I was watching him last night. I think he is actually a much better ball handler then he is giving credit for. I don't think he would have any trouble playing the shooting guard position. At least I don't think he was struggled due to any problem with his ballhandling. Don't get me wrong. He's not a point guard, but he's not bad.

Bob Young is too kind. Frank Johnson's coaching was a big problem. I'm not saying the Suns would have a great record right now if D'Antoni had been coaching the entire season, but I do think they would have several more victories.

Joe Mama

scotsman13

Reaction score
joe there is one thing that would drive me away from the suns team quicker then anything else. and that is to have AI on this team. that guy is a true punk. he should never have gotten out of jail. that guy has all of the b-ball skill in the world and all of the charm of a POS. i would take a loosing team for 10 years before i would ever even think about having AI on this team.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Marion is not a superstar in this league...never will

Why the hell did they pay him like one?

Because someone would have, and he's an important part of this team.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Marion is an all around good baller....points, rebounds, steals, defense, blocks. So what if Marion might be overpaid a few mill....compared to who anyway? If we whine about Marions money than what do we do over Penny and Googs $$$$$....cut our wrists??

Sure Marion has his drawbacks...as do most NBA players. But to me he seems like a potential great third option. I say "potential" of course because he has yet to prove he can play alongside Marbury AND Amare. That needs more time to explore though and it seem worth the wait to know for sure.

Also even though Zarko looks good we still need to see more out of him to know if he'd be a good starter and remain consistant. Also we dont know how well his body could hold up under an NBA schedule. We'd like to think Zarko can replace Marion but fact is we don't know that yet...we just suspect.

I don't know what we could get for Marion although it would be decent talent considering Marion is an all around good player and a no trouble kind of guy. I think a lot of teams would have room for a guy like him. I don't think we could trade up to a very good center as there really arnt all that many around but I might consider packaging him and JJ/CJ/Penny (take your pick) to maybe get a real good SG out of it. I'd like some kind of deal for McGradey but who knows what it would take to pull that off. And I don't know about McGradys back...we already got burned once by Orlando so maybe forget it.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by creed
Marion is an all around good baller....points, rebounds, steals, defense, blocks. So what if Marion might be overpaid a few mill....compared to who anyway? If we whine about Marions money than what do we do over Penny and Googs $$$$$....cut our wrists??

I agree totally with that! Marion is the least of the Suns problems. In fact he's been one of the bright spots over the last couple of weeks. He may not be a superstar, but he's a damn good player. And a rare one at that. How many SF's put up numbers like him. He's a workhorse and deserves a bit of support from the so called fans. Like Creed (dude, I hope thats not in honour of that poopy band) said, Googs and Penny's earning should be in front of any talk of Marions.

PS I can't think of anyone who deserves millions upon millions to play basketball. Everyone in this league is overpaid.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Salary aside, why would we want to trade Marion... and if we look ahead it's Marbury's salary that's going to cripple this team. The C's were very generous to Shawn but Stephon they grossly overpaid on purpose simply to show that he's better than Kidd becasue he's paid more. It's conceivable that some other team would have pushed the Suns to pay about what they did to Marion but never would Marbs commanded the kind of money the Suns lavished on him, on the open market.

IMO, it's not impossible for Marion to play up to his contracted salary... it's going to take a coach that makes him play closer to the hoop than he's doing now. And gets he and Amare playing off each other. Doing that will require a high-post center - which fits well with Marbs game since he works best off high screens. Obviously, Bryan wasn't thinking in those terms when he brought in Jahidi White... which is typical of his efforts. It's nice to have a bruiser like Jahidi on the team so it was okay from that point of view but he doesn't really fill the bill at center for this team. Should Zarko beef up enough to play in the frontcourt with Shawn and Amare we'd have an offensive powerhouse as he brings just what you need in a high post man.

I don't see Marion working out as a SG whereas Zarko might... Marbury's game pretty much dictates a SG with good playmaking skills and Shawn just doesn't have it. I suppose we could say that Marion was the SG and Z was the SF but the latter would still be the secondary playmaker. I'd put it this way, if we start seeing a lot of Zarko on the floor, it will probably be JJ who takes the big hit in playing time. Well, either that or lots of small ball...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I sound like a broken record, but Shawn Marion will never be worth a maximum contract if he has to guard the other team's small forward night in and night out.

I agree with you about Marbury's contract. If the Colangelos are going to throw around this much money now they had better be willing to spend the extra money on some free agents when it's time for the team to make a run at something more than just making the playoffs. In three or four years it looks like Marbury and Marion combined will be overpaid by $8-10 million per season.

Joe Mama