Votes: 27 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm just curious if Boston offered a trade for Nash, something like Nash, Lopez, Frye for Rondo and O'Neal, do you think the Suns should it?

Of course trading Nash would be the most difficult thing to do in franchise history but we need to start looking at the future and what can help us there.

Lopez does look better this season than last but we have Gortat so we can afford to send him off if it helps us for the future.

Frye's very ability to still be in the league seems largely tied to playing w/Nash and a Nash-centric system that can kick-out to him for a solid half-dozen wide-open 3pt attempts a game. If Nash were gone, could Frye at all be considered worth $25M over another 4 years with PHO? I doubt it.

Having young guys like Rondo & Gortat on our team makes the Suns much more appealing for future free agents to sign here IMO. Getting Rondo means now we don't have to worry about drafting a PG.

What do you guys say? Of course this is all pure speculation.

Rondo, Price
Dudley, Brown
Hill, Childress
Morris, Warrick
Gortat, O'Neal

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
That would be ironic, considering Rondo was originally a Suns draft pick that was traded to Boston.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll bite my tounge about the lack of realism of this post and entertain the question. It's almost Christmas after all. I'd do that trade a heartbeat.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That would be ironic, considering Rondo was originally a Suns draft pick that was traded to Boston.
The same irony that Gortat was originally a Suns draft pick that was traded to Orlando?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere if the Suns had kept the pick used to select Rondo, they would have drafted Shannon Brown. :bang:

The Suns do not know how to draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere if the Suns had kept the pick used to select Rondo, they would have drafted Shannon Brown. :bang:

The Suns do not know how to draft.

They haven't been too good at it but Rondo is a unique situation. Leaving high school he was very highly regarded but he was an instant headache in college. He's headstrong and very disruptive when he doesn't get his way and IMO he would have been a wasted pick in Phoenix. Actually, he probably would have been a wasted pick for most teams. He needed a strong locker room and the right kind of coach and he got that in Boston. BUT, even with the right situation and even with all the success they've had with him at PG, his name gets floated as a possible trade candidate every year for a reason.

I'd take him in a trade because let's face it, we need to take some risks. But, trying to build around someone like Rondo would not be an easy thing to do. We would absolutely need to do our due diligence with the guy because the last thing we'd need is a player no one wants to play with considering we already have an owner few would want to play for.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would pack Nash's bags so fast on this outdated proposed trade...lol.
I was begging for this type of deal a few years ago.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f45/celtics-shop-rondo-allenlets-get-in-on-this-136381.html

Successful playoff teams must be strong defensively in two places IMO.
1) At the point of attack. APreferably a PG who's an uber-strong perimeter defender that disrupts what the other team likes to run when they try to get into their halfcourt sets.
2)At the rim with a bigman who can bang and rebound or block shots and guard a strong post up guy.
The Suns have traditionally had neither.

Rondo is a strong defender but can also run an offense efficiently and mix it up inside with attitude. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned over his ugly shooting if i was to field a basketball team. Surround him and a defensive rock in the middle with shooters and a postup big and i'll squash your Nashball and most any other offensive Dream Team you wannna come up with.

The Suns have been serving us cheeseburger's and calling it grilled steak for years :/

Last edited:

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I'd do it in a heart beat, but realistically I don't see us getting much in return for Nash. While he is one of the best in the game, he is also a 37-year-old who doesn't play much defense, and is in the last year of his contract. I can't think of a team who would be willing to part with much to get Nash in return.

As much as I would love to get something great for Nash, I realistically see him back in Phoenix next year playing at a reduced price, with a couple of mediocre overpaid free agents we picked up over the summer.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take that deal as well. It helps the Suns get younger and worst case scenario gives them a trading piece for a franchise player down the road.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'd do Nash, Gortat and Childress for Rondo, ONeal and picks.

Would not do it if we cant dump some salary on the Celtics because in that case I think we will be better off trading for something else and using the caproom that we lose by trading Nash for Rondo.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I think the team is going to be average this year anyways, so we either make some moves to help the future or hold firm. If it gives more cap space than we have, then do it.

I actually think nash would do pretty well on the celtics.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do Nash, Gortat and Childress for Rondo, ONeal and picks.

Would not do it if we cant dump some salary on the Celtics because in that case I think we will be better off trading for something else and using the caproom that we lose by trading Nash for Rondo.

Still trying to get rid of Gortat? Rondo is the better player but if I had to choose whether to build around Gortat or Rondo, I'd choose Gortat. I'm tired of point guard driven teams. We finally have a decent big guy and I wouldn't consider trading him unless the deal was just to good to pass up. Your deal comes close to fair value and benefits us very little. We'd go from being a weak team with a team-first big guy to a weak team with a headstrong point guard.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Except Rondo is 3 years younger. Gortat is not young enough to be an integral part of rebuilding process.
If we are going to trade Nash for Rondo we need to ditch some contracts , Childress namely, so we can still go out and go for 2 big names to put next to Rondo. Obviously the Celtics wont give us Rondo and Oneals expiring deal for Nash and Childress.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except Rondo is 3 years younger. Gortat is not young enough to be an integral part of rebuilding process.
If we are going to trade Nash for Rondo we need to ditch some contracts , Childress namely, so we can still go out and go for 2 big names to put next to Rondo. Obviously the Celtics wont give us Rondo and Oneals expiring deal for Nash and Childress.

Ummm, nice try with the rounding up there. Gortat is 2 years and 5 days older than Rajon and I'd be willing to bet that Rajon has a lot more basketball miles on him that Gortat does. Also, Rondo's game will suffer a lot more than Marcin's when he starts to lose a little quickness and athleticism.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giving the Celtics Gortat and Nash makes the Celtics a contender. As much as I would like to have Rondo the Suns need more young talent in return (not picks) so maybe a three way trade might work. The Suns are clueless when it comes to draft picks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Rondo is not a franchise player, and he's almost 26 years old. Paying a big price to make him the center of a rebuilding team, to be surrounded by Marquee Free Agents to be Named Later, would be foolhardy and very unlikely to work.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dont think Boston would reject it without even consideration. Nash gives them the much needed desperate offense and is an expiring contract along with Allen & Garnett.

They also dont seem to want to rebuild around Rondo by himself so now with all the contracts out, they can be a player in free agency or the ol rebuild through draft.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Rondo is not a franchise player, and he's almost 26 years old. Paying a big price to make him the center of a rebuilding team, to be surrounded by Marquee Free Agents to be Named Later, would be foolhardy and very unlikely to work.

He also is a lousy outside shot. I also don't think the Suns can contend building around Rondo, but the window is closing to build around Nash. I'd rather have Rondo at PG for five more years than Nash for two.

It would be great if we could get a marquee player or low lottery pick for Nash, but that isn't going to happen. If we can get a borderline all-star for him, at least that would be something.

The loyal part of me wants Nash to keep playing in Phoenix until we have to wheel him off the court. But when push comes to shove, I can see that the current roster isn't going anywhere and I'd like to do something to shake things up and get younger. Rondo is no Nash, but he is a decade younger.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd rather have Rondo at PG for five more years than Nash for two.

I wouldn't. Sure, the Suns would be better during the third, fourth, and fifth of those years -- and quite possibly even earlier than that -- but for what? Rondo isn't the cornerstone of a contender. Invest your future in him, and all you are doing is laying out a five-year period during which your ceiling is mid-level playoff team, which is where the Suns have already been for most of their history, and which most people on this board say they're sick of.

It would be great if we could get a marquee player or low lottery pick for Nash, but that isn't going to happen. If we can get a borderline all-star for him, at least that would be something.

I should be clear that if the Celtics offered Rondo for Nash straight up -- which of course is absurd -- I would definitely take it, because Rondo would have higher trade value down the road, and the Suns could figure out a way to flip him for pieces that would be of real help.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He may not be a franchise player but he is a heck of a lot closer than Nash, Lopez, or Frye.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may not be a franchise player but he is a heck of a lot closer than Nash, Lopez, or Frye.

He's closer but I'm not sure he's "a heck of a lot closer" than Nash. The time will come soon when that is the case but right now, for one game, he's not all that much better than Nash. And Nash is a far superior leader/locker room guy. I really have doubts about being able to attract stars to play alongside Rondo. I'd certainly make a Nash for Rondo swap but not because I wanted to build around the guy. As Eric said, he has more value when we're ready to flip him.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and yet the Suns continue to build around a 37 yr old Nash. Some of you guys crack me up with your logic.

Really? I didn't see anyone in here saying they'd rather build around Nash. I've been pushing for us to trade Nash for a few years now but I just don't think Rondo is a perfect answer. If it takes a Nash/Gortat package to get Rondo I'm dead set against it. I don't want to build around a point guard and I definitely don't want to build around a point guard like Rondo who tends to alienate his teammates and coaches.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Stoudemire left, this should have put the Suns in rebuild mode. It takes at least two star players (minimum), now probably three, to contend. I really like Steve Nash but I don't see why they are hanging onto the past. If the Suns could figure out a way to keep Gortat and get Rondo, they should pull the trigger... or any other trade that gives them hope for the future.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake