Training camp opens in Flagstaff October 1, 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams on Kelly Oubre and Mikal Bridges respectively.

"We're being cautious with it," said Williams of Oubre, who missed the last 11 games of last season with a sprained thumb on his left shooting hand which ultimately required surgery. "It's just a level of discomfort he's dealing with right now."

"He was busting his tail all summer," Williams said. "Knowing Mikal, overdoing it. So rather than push through it right now, we want to make sure he’s in a good spot. So we’re just going to be cautious with him."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ikal-bridges-sidelined-again-camp/3847906002/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

De'Andre Hunter of Virginia is also looking good. I guess we can play the what if game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Good to hear that both of our draftees have looked impressive so far. We are only two injuries away from both of them playing huge roles so it it is nice to hear that they could be ready if needed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So glad Ayton has a legit big man on the bench to help him. Bryant was a journeyman but he backed up Hakeem, played here in Phoenix, and had some good years in Portland also. He was an actual PF/C who played inside, unlike Corliss Williamson who was a hard nosed player but not a big.

The makeup of the staff for Monty is much more encouraging than Igor's last years. I know some of us talked ourselves into it being sufficient or ok but I don't think anyone ever thought it was "good". I can see this being a good staff with Steve Blake, Mark Bryant, Willie Green, and a few others.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He definitely has a good enough stroke to be taking 2-3 threes per game. As long as he's not living out there than I am all for it and from what I've heard there is no plan for him to be out there too much.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
when can we watch them practice?

They are having an open practice this Sunday at 12:30 at Talking Stick Arena.

Thought I'd quote both of you, there is the open practice this Sunday at Talking Stick Arena/America West/US Airways Center/Whatever you want to call the arena in downtown Phoenix.

You need tickets to attend the open practice but they're free. You can get up to 8 tickets on their website. Here is a link.... https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/su...56.750263295.1570136156-1038151748.1569997355

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Thought I'd quote both of you, there is the open practice this Sunday at Talking Stick Arena/America West/US Airways Center/Whatever you want to call the arena in downtown Phoenix.

You need tickets to attend the open practice but they're free. You can get up to 8 tickets on their website. Here is a link.... https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/su...56.750263295.1570136156-1038151748.1569997355
I find it odd that they scheduled the open practice right at the same time as the end of the Cardinals game. Could of probably gotten a better crowd if they would of just started it an hour later.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared Harper, Jevon Carter, Cameron Johnson and Elie Okobo putting up corner 3s

I still dislike that corner 3 shot. Assuming it's not already available and I've just missed it, maybe someone will make an effort to improve the advanced stats regarding that shot by factoring in all the wasted possessions due to stepping out of bounds and the easy offense that shot often generates for the other team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams wants a 10 man rotation. Kelly Oubre and Mikal Bridges are still being held out of practice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still dislike that corner 3 shot. Assuming it's not already available and I've just missed it, maybe someone will make an effort to improve the advanced stats regarding that shot by factoring in all the wasted possessions due to stepping out of bounds and the easy offense that shot often generates for the other team.

I haven't looked at the advance stats on the corner 3s. I suspect that certain players are better at not stepping out of bounds than other players. Maybe they should be the ones mostly shooting it. It is the shortest distance 3 point shot so there is that. Maybe it's better to practice the 3 point shot during scrimmages.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the advance stats on the corner 3s. I suspect that certain players are better at not stepping out of bounds than other players. Maybe they should be the ones mostly shooting it. It is the shortest distance 3 point shot so there is that. Maybe it's better to practice the 3 point shot during scrimmages.

I'm sure some players are far worse at this than others but I see a lot of players being called for stepping out of bounds when they set up for that corner 3. PJ might have been extraordinarily bad at it but he's not alone.

Between the step outs and the occasional travel, it's just a poor shot IMO, although it's probably less of a problem for the little guys (little guys, little feet - usually). But you're typically expecting the little guys to be among the first ones back on D and that's less likely to happen if you have them buried on the baseline, especially in the corner.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure some players are far worse at this than others but I see a lot of players being called for stepping out of bounds when they set up for that corner 3. PJ might have been extraordinarily bad at it but he's not alone.

Between the step outs and the occasional travel, it's just a poor shot IMO, although it's probably less of a problem for the little guys (little guys, little feet - usually). But you're typically expecting the little guys to be among the first ones back on D and that's less likely to happen if you have them buried on the baseline, especially in the corner.

I'm not sure when stepping out of bounds became so prevalent shooting the corner 3. There seems to be a conscious effort by many players to take a step back to shoot it. I don't think it's always been this way so when it became a fad I don't know. Players should just spot up and forget the step back. That's what gets them in trouble.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure when stepping out of bounds became so prevalent shooting the corner 3. There seems to be a conscious effort by many players to take a step back to shoot it. I don't think it's always been this way so when it became a fad I don't know. Players should just spot up and forget the step back. That's what gets them in trouble.

I think it's been a problem all along, it probably just stands out now that the shot has become so popular league-wide. The corner 3 line is 22 feet from the basket (as opposed to 23'9 elsewhere) which is certainly an advantage but I don't think it's enough of one to overcome the turnovers that result from so many attempts. 3 feet sounds like plenty of room to gather and shoot but these guys use up half that space or more just with their shoe size.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think it's been a problem all along, it probably just stands out now that the shot has become so popular league-wide. The corner 3 line is 22 feet from the basket (as opposed to 23'9 elsewhere) which is certainly an advantage but I don't think it's enough of one to overcome the turnovers that result from so many attempts. 3 feet sounds like plenty of room to gather and shoot but these guys use up half that space or more just with their shoe size.

Is there a factor that 3-point shooters from the corner tend to be
less closely guarded than in the backcourt?

It seems that most times Tucker shot from there he was open.

I don't know what the stats are, but it seems also that shots
from the corner in the All-Star weekend 3-point shooting
contests do better there than from the backcourt positions.

What do you think?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05