Viking guy here. Floyd question

mmvikes

Rookie
Reaction score
Hello Cards fans. I spent a little time here when you guys came close to getting AP from us. You all know him best so I am wondering what you guys think Floyds chances of success are in MN. He seems to jave a lot of talent, but outside of a year or two, he hasnt played up to his abilities. Was this all related to his partying or did he just not put forth the effort? I think the situation is good for him, having his dad here and his friend Chris Carter to lean on. If he is ever going to play up to his potential, this is probably the best place for him. I just wonder if he has it in him to put forth tbe effort to become great. Thanks for your responses.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was always disappointing from his #1 pick status but he had some HUGE catches for us and some huge drops. IMO he is a #2 with #1 capability if he ever realizes it and stops drinking so much. He was putrid last year and with the DUI at the end, a lot of us assume that his play was bad because he drinks too much. Hopefully for you, that's gone but he has not really shown he learned anything at all since the DUI.

Looking at your WR depth chart, he will either be your #1 or #2 unless someone is a big time no name.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has lacked consistency in past. (I'll let others list the possible reasons). Brace yourself for a roller coaster ride

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He had no reputation for partying prior to the DUI this winter. A lot of concern-trolling on this board, but no one saying anything about it until this season.

Floyd probably doesn't have the potential to be "great" on the level of Julio Jones or A.J. Green. He doesn't have the one elite thing.

There's a false choice you're presenting between "too much partying" and "not putting forth the effort." I don't think it's either. I think that he could be a consistent Top 20 wide receiver in the right offense.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
He has all the physical tools but he's never really put it all together yet. Not sure what it is thats holding him back. He also seems to struggle making catches away from his body..

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I always thought Floyd was a very solid #2 some guys here flat out hate him and you would think he was Justin Blackmon by the way they talk about him.

Last year however I have no idea what happened to him but he was just a mess on the field. No rumors of him partying around town or anything no one really knows what happened

But talent is there

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
he had drinking issues at notre dame, then this past winter...so many think drinking was why he sucked so bad last season.

maybe he will have a better support system in MN and he can stay focused...from what I saw lack of focus was his biggest issue...the kid has lots of talent and ability and IMO most of his problems are mental.... in all honesty I expect he will have a big season for the vikes this year...after that, once the new wears off...remains to be seen.

Jason1970

Reaction score
He is stiff and tries to catch the ball with his body instead of his hands. Not nearly as big or fast as perceived. aka BUST

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be wary. In college he drove drunk and was arrested at more than 2 times the legal limit and got a slap on the wrist (missed zero playing time after an extreme DUI on a college campus, for Pete's sake). Then, in the pro's, he drives drunk at close to 3 times the legal limit, gets cut, and gets rewarded with a SB ring. Next, he'll be looking to go for 4 times the legal limit. The guy needs help and, so far, no one is helping him one bit.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He parties alot. He still parties post DUI.

He always brings his friends. They used to dress like thugs, until my friend repeatedly kept Floyd from entering because of his thug dressed friends. (not as a bouncer, but manager)

He had a beef for awhile against my friend, who simply couldn't care less.

Basically after RGIII's thug dressed friends got into a fight the night before (this was quite a few years ago), that exception he made to let in RGIII and his friends (I think it was during their bowl game)... he never allows it. Floyd wasn't happy, eventually got the message.

Nevertheless, he's still drinking.

I'm more worried about a guy on our own team, so good luck with Floyd.

Reaction score

He always brings his friends. They used to dress like thugs, until my friend repeatedly kept Floyd from entering because of his thug dressed friends. (not as a bouncer, but manager)

He had a beef for awhile against my friend, who simply couldn't care less.

Basically after RGIII's thug dressed friends got into a fight the night before (this was quite a few years ago), that exception he made to let in RGIII and his friends (I think it was during their bowl game)... he never allows it. Floyd wasn't happy, eventually got the message.

Wait what?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
The good: has size and deceptive speed. Long strider who can get deep. Very physical player who will block and not shy away from contact. I think 2nd half of 2015 Floyd is as good as you can expect from him.

The bad: not a real natural catcher of the ball. Stretches where he catches it all, others where he can't catch a cold. No run after the catch skills. Will catch a deep ball, but fall down in doing so.

When on his game -- a solid #2 WR.

The enmity on the board here stems from the fact that in a season where the team had realistic SuperBowl aspirations -- Floyd appeared unfocused and disinterested. The DUI late in the season explained to many why.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He had no reputation for partying prior to the DUI this winter. A lot of concern-trolling on this board, but no one saying anything about it until this season.

Floyd probably doesn't have the potential to be "great" on the level of Julio Jones or A.J. Green. He doesn't have the one elite thing.

There's a false choice you're presenting between "too much partying" and "not putting forth the effort." I don't think it's either. I think that he could be a consistent Top 20 wide receiver in the right offense.

You usuallt aren't this off base, but you are completely wrong here.

Floyd had two alcohol related incidents in college.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

More info needed.....

And: :grabs: x2

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Don't expect him to become your go to WR or your #1 WR. It just ain't going to happen. Inconsistent is the name of his game. When he is on he will have a very good game, when he is not he can't catch a cold. Never should have been drafted as high as he was. Was a body catcher in college and that hasn't changed in the NFL. He will win your heart one week and break it the next. Not sorry he not a Cardinal anymore. Maybe having his father and Carter there will help but don't count on it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude the guy spent like 5 years here and didn't have one problem until this year.

I really think some people here don't know what a bust is

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Coming from a season ticket holder who saw every game he played...He was a practice stud who Palmer raved about...problem was on game day he disappeared. 2-3 catches for 45 yards. Never looked like a dominant or even solid player. I wish he had been better, but we all had the same 'hope' you are now having....in the end he never panned out.
Not just because the dui...look at his game stats. His numbers were best with Larry Fitzgerald demanding solid coverage and speedy John Brown demanding safety help.
Once John Brown went down safety coverage rolled to him and he got nothing.
He often got the 3rd CB on him.
I don't see the WRs or QB on your team to make him into anything more than a 40 catch 450 yard guy...at best.
Thanks for taking the time to roll over here.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Football wise, Floyd played like rancid, dried out cow dung last season.

He has had one good year, and a couple of solid years. My analysis, is he has the physical tools to be a very good receiver, but has the work ethic and mental tools of a spoiled 15 year old who plays too much video games.

Good luck, I do not think you will get a thing out of the guy except some good news stories about stupid crap he does.

I am happy the guy is gone, and still wished we drafted Dont'a Hightower or Davide DeCastro.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Floyd:

* basically a perimeter player, best routes are go, deep post and 10 yard out.
* limited route tree because he is shy catching balls over the middle---not a RAC guy.
* seemingly always nursing injuries
* good blocker on CBs, but not on Ss and LBs
* can come up with big plays downfield late in games when defenses are pressing
* no value on STs

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
This is how I saw him FWIW, he would miss 2-3 passes and make you so mad then out of the blue make a great catch for a huge gain or TD and then you'd be glad he was there , next game same thing, dropped passes ready to give up on him the BAM a great catch. Just inconsistent. Not sorry he's gone he just couldn't stay reliable game after game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05