Warner re-signed.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
According to AZCardinals.com we have resigned Kurt Warner to a three year deal.

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced that the team has agreed to terms with quarterback Kurt Warner on a three-year contract. In accordance with club policy, terms were not disclosed.

The 34-year old Warner (6-2, 219) started 10 games for the Cardinals in 2005, completing 242 passes on 375 attempts (64.5%) for 2,713 yards, 11 touchdowns and 9 interceptions. His 64.5% completion percentage set a new team, breaking the previous record set by Steve Beuerlein (61.7%) in 1993.

Warner’s 85.8 quarterback rating last season was the best QB rating for a Cardinals signal caller since Neil Lomax in 1988 (86.7) and his five 300+ passing games in 2005 led the NFL and were the most 300+ passing games he has had since his NFL MVP season of 2001.

Warner has authored one of the greatest success stories in NFL history. After first playing in the Arena Football League and NFL Europe, he went onto star for the St. Louis Rams and was twice selected as the league’s Most Valuable Player (1999 and 2001). A three-time Pro Bowl selection, he was also named the MVP of Super Bowl XXXIV by leading the Rams to a win over the Tennessee Titans.

After spending the 1998-2003 seasons with St. Louis, he played the 2004 season with the New York Giants appearing in 10 games (nine starts) with the Giants. The former Northern Iowa product has appeared in 73 games (69 starts) over his eight seasons in the NFL and has passed for 19,214 yards and 119 touchdowns. His completion percentage of 65.7 (1,537-2,340) is the highest ever in the NFL and his quarterback rating of 94.1 is second in NFL history among quarterbacks who have thrown at least 1,500 passes (Steve Young, 96.8).

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
YEAH BUDDY!!!

That is cause for a celebration!

Good job Cards! So far so good!

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
KFFL....

Cardinals | Warner re-signed
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:26:37 -0800
The Arizona Cardinals have re-signed QB Kurt Warner to a three-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Last edited:

doctor

Registered
Reaction score
great sign but i feel kurt is only good for 10 to 12 games..... i hope they can sign a decent backup to take us thru the gaps.....navarre is not the answer

spanky1

Reaction score
Arthur.....I haven't seen you for awhile.....good to see that you are as verbose as ever.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2330942

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Arizona Cardinals rewarded quarterback Kurt Warner for his loyalty and efficiency during the 2005 season.

Kurt Warner
Quarterback
Arizona Cardinals

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
375 242 2555 11 9 85.8

Warner signed a three-year, $18 million contract that should be worth between $20 million and $24 million should he perform as he did last season. The two-time MVP completed 64.5 percent of his passes and had a quarterback rating of 85.8 in his first season with the Cardinals.

After the season, Warner told coach Dennis Green and the Cardinals that he wanted to return and stay as the starter. Negotiations for a contract began then and concluded Tuesday afternoon with a three-year deal. Warner signed a one-year, $4 million deal with the Cardinals in 2005 and lived up to all expectations.

The signing of Warner officially begins the NFL offseason and takes perhaps the top free-agent quarterback off the market. New Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz was willing to sell Warner to his new team as an option to challenge Joey Harrington for the starting job after the two patched up their relationship last season.

Warner clearly resurrected his career in Arizona. He started 10 games last season, completed 242 of 375 passes for 2,713 yards and 11 touchdowns. When he was playing, the Cardinals had the best passing numbers in the NFL, and he did it despite a running attack that was missing. The Cardinals averaged only 71 rushing yards a game and only 3.2 yards a carry. The lack of a running game made the Cardinals one-dimensional and put more pressure on Warner to move the ball through the air.

Warner will make $7 million this season not counting incentives.

Warner burst onto the NFL scene in 1999 for the St. Louis Rams, earning MVP honors after throwing for 4,353 yards and a league-high 41 touchdowns.

Warner capped that outstanding campaign with an MVP performance in Super Bowl XXXIV, leading the Rams to a 23-16 win over the Tennessee Titans.

Two years later, Warner again was named league MVP after posting 4,830 passing yards and 36 touchdowns as St. Louis made a return visit to the Super Bowl.

After a six-year run with the Rams, the 34-year-old Warner spent 2004 with the New York Giants, holding down the starting job before rookie Eli Manning took over to finish the year.

Injuries between 2002-03 curbed Warner's run with the Rams but the three-time Pro Bowler still owns the best completion percentage (65.7) in NFL history and his quarterback rating of 94.1 is second all-time to Hall of Famer Steve Young.

Information from SportsTicker was used in this report.

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know Warner is not the most durable guy around, but I like the signing. Much needed stability. Maybe, just maybe we can get someone in the draft for him to mentor.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

those numebrs do seem a little high though (7-8mil/yr)i gues the "martz is in detroit" line worked for kurt and his agent
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
$18MM with $7MM in year one.....expensive and more than I thought we would/should pay.

Having said this, at least we know who will be our QB heading into '06.

Memo to Kurt.....please stay healthy.

Diggity

Registered
Reaction score
Good Signing.. It's good to have your qb in place going into Free-agency to help with leverage.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like keeping Kurt Warner as our starting QB. I think we are paying too much, but I am sure another team would have paid similar dollars to lure him away from the desert.

Another bonus, is I get more years of service out of my Cardinal Kurt Warner jersey.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
$18MM with $7MM in year one.....expensive and more than I thought we would/should pay.

And as much as 20-24 mil... sounds like the later years are backloaded with incentives, which is smart. If he plays less and less late in the contract (and let's not kid ourselves, we will look to find his replaceent soon) then we save a little coin. If not, we pay a little more, but the additional money is based on performance.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much for Warner's "I'll take $2 million less, if you spend it on the O-line".

I bet this means Navarre is going to be the #2, as Warner is going to collect the lion's share of the $'s allotted for this position.

The Shark

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sure alot of this contract is incentive laden and let face it if he meets the incentives none of us will probally be complaining as we will be playoff bound baby. Having said that hope we pick up a QB in the draft for him to mentor Navarre is just horrible. And if VY is there at #10 run to the podium and get him in here, let him work with warner and we have a future star stud QB to go with Q and Fitz.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

Actually, I almost like it better. With $7 million in year one, then the rest of the contract is 2 years at $11 million, and I don't mind spending $5 million for a starting quarterback, and if we develop a guy, then Warner's likely history in year 2 or 3 anyway.

spanky1

Reaction score
golfcardfan said:
Sure alot of this contract is incentive laden and let face it if he meets the incentives none of us will probally be complaining as we will be playoff bound baby. Having said that hope we pick up a QB in the draft for him to mentor Navarre is just horrible. And if VY is there at #10 run to the podium and get him in here, let him work with warner and we have a future star stud QB to go with Q and Fitz.

Let me go on record as saying the following: I have no bloody idea if Navarre is any good, whether he's horrible, whether he has any potential, etc. etc.......and truthfully, I can't see how anyone else can.

If you can make this distinction based on BRIEF (a total of two quarters in two games over the last two years) appearances, then you should change whatever your profession is and apply for a job as a QB coach with an NFL team, because it appears you know more than Dennis Green does.

I'm not trying to single you out.......I'm just fed up with how people make these kind of judgements with so little to go on.

FlagstaffDave

Reaction score
spanky1 said:

We?

Well gee it's nice that the Cardinals have fans that help support the payroll. You guys need to quit whining about paying to much, it's not your money. For once the Cardinals kept someone they needed to keep, and it's a reasonable contract.

I'm also sure Kurt will try to stay healthy just for you guys. :rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser