Warner To Start Against Seattle

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I suspect he was referring more to draft status. Right or wrong there's a reason most of those guys you mentioned were drafted a lot higher than Josh.

Josh had the height, had the size, had the speed, had the arm, had the bloodlines(father a coach, brothers who played). But for some reason with all that going for him he had one good year in college, after transferring down to Sam houston State, and that's why he wasn't picked higher.

I just a few weeks ago was googling on Rohan Davey, right after we signed him, and found an old Senior Bowl report that Gil Brandt wrote about Davey. BEcause Davey and Josh were in the same draft and closely bunched together, he wrote about both of them.

He said both guys were asked to make a few mechanical adjustments and then throw, Davey really struggled, didn't want to do it, did, but looked bad doing it. Josh was eager to do what they wanted, made the changes, and looked OK. But he then said what struck him was the next drill was an accuracy and touch passing drill and he said Davey was dramatically better at it than Josh was. He said repeatedly Josh fired the ball high and when asked to throw touch passes he really struggled. His conclusion was that while Davey didn't like making the changes, he did and tried to make it work in the next drill. Josh willingly made the change in THAT drill, but immediately reverted back to his normal throwing motion in the next drill completely not getting that the point of the exercise was your mechanics cause you to be inaccurate, high, and we want to see if you can change that or not.

It struck me here we are several years later and Josh is still throwing high all the time. I suspect that what Brandt wrote then is at work to this day, Josh really WANTS to get better, but for some reason he just can't. You can tell him everyday for 4 years but he will still just wing it on the field and throw high over and over. Moore was all over for him on Sunday said he needs to be able to figure that out because nothing is worse than a QB who misses high.

Well if the problem is mechanical, then why in GOD's name wouldn't someone be out there working on his mechanics? I have never once heard anyone mention that they were working on his mechanics in any year he has been in the NFL.

If that is the issue, then we cheated ourselves because we never put him in the best situation to succeed.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, I much prefer Warner to McCown.

However, in consulting my McCown excuse-a-matic program, Warner didn't play well this coming Sunday against Seattle because he didn't have Anquan Boldin.

As we all know, if McCown were to continue to start the excuse of not having Anquan available would have been spit out immediately in order to explain his inept performance.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:
Well, I much prefer Warner to McCown.

However, in consulting my McCown excuse-a-matic program, Warner didn't play well this coming Sunday against Seattle because he didn't have Anquan Boldin.

As we all know, if McCown were to continue to start the excuse of not having Anquan available would have been spit out immediately in order to explain his inept performance.

Yeah go ahead and get the excuses warmed up for next week.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
clif said:

Alright how about this one:

Warner stunk becuase he didnt have Charles Lee to throw the ball to. :D

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, the line on the game went from 5.5 to 4 shortly after the announcement. Pretty telling don't ya think?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Can't say it surprises me. Josh took a beating last week and I'm sure his ribs are hurting, so it makes sense to start Kurt. Seattle's pass rush is nothing like Dallas'

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
No surprise Warner is starting
No surprise that we will still lose
No surprise that the loss will have little to do with what quarterback plays

I love that we concentrate on the quarterback position yet there are the other 9 million things wrong on this team

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Well if the problem is mechanical, then why in GOD's name wouldn't someone be out there working on his mechanics? I have never once heard anyone mention that they were working on his mechanics in any year he has been in the NFL.

If that is the issue, then we cheated ourselves because we never put him in the best situation to succeed.

Here's the thing I took away from that blurb. Davey didn't want to change, nor did it go very well, but he stuck with it. Josh was perfectly willing to change, and did fairly well, but he immediately reverted back to his normal delivery because it didn't click with him they're telling me I have a flaw I need to correct.

I suspect that's still the case with Josh, I kind of doubt he's been here 4 years throwing the ball high, and nobody ever told him you know you have a mechanical flaw? I just suspect that Josh has a hard time making the change and when under pressure, he reverts to his norm.

Moore was saying just like in the game in Mexico, Josh can't make excuses and say hey the altitude is doing this or the wind is doing that, you had plenty of time before the game to throw, if it's an external cause, adjust for it, but you can't keep overthrowing guys. The problem is high throws lead to about 4 things, great leaping catch, incompletion, wr getting head knocked off, and INT. Moore seemed to be saying the problem is Josh gets excited, forgets everything he knows about mechanics, and just overthrows people.

With Jake I think a lot of the problem was him, he just didn't think he needed to change, he didn't want to watch film he didn't want to spend hours on mechanics he didn't think he needed to. I think Josh is polar opposite I think he really wants to get better and is perfectly willing to make the effort, the problem is once the game starts that all goes out the window and he's back to winging it.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
clif said:

The excuses are so easy to come up with after reading all the excuses the McCown lovers generate week after week.

Don't get me wrong, Warner is not the long-term answer, nor is Josh, but Warner is a much better qualified QB than Josh ever will be.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I kind of doubt he's been here 4 years throwing the ball high, and nobody ever told him you know you have a mechanical flaw?

Well the coaches never said they were working on his mechanics and no articles were ever written that they were working on it and if they never told us about it they must not have ever actually worked on it. :sarcasm:

The caoches spent the whole time all 4 years just trying to teach him how to read a defense how in the world would they have time teaching him mechanics. ;)

Last edited:

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cards232 said:
From what I understand, the line on the game went from 5.5 to 4 shortly after the announcement. Pretty telling don't ya think?

The line opened at 4

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I suspect that's still the case with Josh, I kind of doubt he's been here 4 years throwing the ball high, and nobody ever told him you know you have a mechanical flaw? I just suspect that Josh has a hard time making the change and when under pressure, he reverts to his norm.

Again though.. I have heard damn near every interview, read every article, listening to plenty of pre and post games reports and have never heard anyone say.. well Josh has this mechanical problem that we are working with him on. Not saying they don't work on stuff like that, but I would think it would be a major sticking point if I was trying to help a young QB improve.

Case in point. Anyone remember when David Carr came out and how they continually worked on his release point by using ladders for him to throw over. I have not seen or heard any evidence of that kind of attention paid to this kid's mechanics.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
clif said:
If McCown would show 1/2 of what any of the QB's mentioned above had there would be no coaching descions to be made.

This arguement is so ********. So you're saying that Josh who threw for 783 yards in 2 games (over 350 in each and had he done that the next would have set an NFL record ) has not shown half the ability of the other QB's.??? You're kidding right? If that is truely how you feel then there is no point in debating this with you, because you are living in a fantasy world. How many picks did Peyton throw his first year starting? No one is comparing the abilities of the above mentioned QB's to Josh... I am referring to the fact that they all were given the benefit of the doubt more times than this kid.

I too want this QB carousel to end, and it should. I dont think Warner is the answer but neither is McCown.

No arguement there, but why continually switch back and forth like a pair of underwear?

To compare him to guys like you mentioned is absurd. They all showed the ability to get the job done, read defenses, look downfield, and avoid the rush, yet Josh in his 4th season still cant do that.

Again no one is comparing Josh's abilites to the other's listed.
So the 396 yards against 49ers was all dump offs? How about the 383 against the Panthers? How many td passes when to running backs? Yeah it's soooo obvious he can't read defenses.... especially since he audibled into the TD pass to Fitz in the Panthers game :rolleyes:

I will give you this, McCown and Harrington are about on par. whatever good that is. :shrug:

Warner gives the Cardinals the best chance to win. PERIOD.

Win what? 1 or 2 games? Whoop!!

I can tell you for sure Green and company dont think the "season is over" and thats why they dont keep people like you and that defeatist attitude around. They want to win and starting Warner gives them the best chance. Now in the off season, we can address the QB situation, but right now McCown is on the bench where he belongs

Yeah and like my opinion makes a difference on how the team performs.

The absurdity of this post is beyond repsonse. If you trly believe that Josh McCown in YEAR 4 has shown what the other QB's you mentioned have shown in their YEAR 4, then there is no need to talk about it. You are comparing 2 games of MCowns career (one of which he didnt win) to Payton Mannings rookies season? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Come on Clif, enough already. We know you love Josh, but quit trying to compare starters and great QB's now with Josh McCown. It weakens your arguement!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
clif said:
I have not seen or heard any evidence of that kind of attention paid to this kid's mechanics.

Then you have never been to a training camp.

And he isnt a kid anymore. He is a grown man.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
clif said:
Got any facts to back that up with?

Jesus Christ Clif this is getting insane...yeah League MVPS, A superbowl win, amongst the top 10 of all time in passer rating, comp % etc.... :shrug:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gamebird98 said:
How Many NFL regular season starts does Josh have?

I believe the Dallas game was his 17th start.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
The absurdity of this post is beyond repsonse. If you trly believe that Josh McCown in YEAR 4 has shown what the other QB's you mentioned have shown in their YEAR 4, then there is no need to talk about it. You are comparing 2 games of MCowns career (one of which he didnt win) to Payton Mannings rookies season? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Come on Clif, enough already. We know you love Josh, but quit trying to compare starters and great QB's now with Josh McCown. It weakens your arguement!

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I am comparing them specifically due to time given to start.. not who is the better QB, or who has the better numbers. Freaking learn to read...jeez.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Not true, Stardust , Ceasars, and the Imperial Palace posted the game at -5.5

Sorry, dont live in Vegas...have to go by the online betting sites that I have to use