Week 1 observation - azfan43

azfan43

Rookie
Reaction score
i know i dont thread/post much...but ive lurked for years...and wanna start to be more part of this...in my opinion...the most realistic and humble football board on the web.

my thoughts on the sf game:

before i delve too deep...i will say i saw mostly positive stuff...and the negative things (typical things we have historically always done) i saw positives/improvements on those as well.

starting off with kurt warner: nothing really to break down. we all know uno-tres could chuck the rock with velocity and good accuracy most of the time. the knock was what happens when he is pressured/hit and the mistakes at the worst times. well yesterday he got hit/sacked. never fumbled. from my memory...no super bad throws neither. keep that up...no one will chant for #7. keep it up kurt.

the running game: we ran the ball effectively. better than good imo. james has more than just 100even if not for penalties. the man is a work horse. the difference comes in hightower, i hadnt seen a game since attaining james, where we had a back in like hightower to spell james and we were still effective (hightower did have some slight jitters on some runs) . as hightower gains more reps...i expect edge to be even more effective and keep fresher legs...thus making whiz's run philosophy even more dynamic.

James was imo the key to the whole game. someone already posted this...edge + 100yards = W. E+100=W. that simple.

Hightower gets a gameball as well souly for not one...but two key short yardage runs...one for 6 and another to keep a drive alive...stones on both his and the coaching to give him the ball. just a rookie in his first game and making the needed runs and a td to boot. good stuff.

Q...what do i say about this guy you all havent already said?. angry or not. he still just kills defenses. am i the only one that thought he wasnt even really running full speed...or is he just that quick. a great statistical outting for a wideout all done in the second half.

Breaston played his best game at WR yet. Fitz could have been used a bit more...but when we did...he was Fitz.

the Oline: i saw good things from all 5 really. they all had hiccups. the biggest beign from the vets of the group obviously (the two costly penalties). there was penetration up the middle ( a common cardinal flaw). that needs work. thoughts on how to fix that? cut out two stupid plays...and you have a stellar day on the ground with only one false start (if memory serves me correct). pass pro was ok...we let one of the niners go a lil wild. i didnt see much on the tight ends..a catch for pope...i didnt even notice their blocking. id like to see kurt be a bit quicker with his check downs. he isnt mobile obviously...he will eat more sacks than the average qb. so we might have ot live with 2-3 sacks a game. no fumbles!

i do have some concerns with the playcalling in certain situations...but i hope that improves once we can actually gameplan a team with recent game-tape.

that was one of the better special teams performances in recent memory. the returns werent horrible. our punting excelled obviously...pinned them inside the 10 twice and once on the 20. good punts. and pooch kick was a good call, even better since it worked.

rackers...thats strike 1! thats all i will say about that...he made the rest of them at least...

defense was tricker...

one thing i noticed...past couple years...our D was way too aggressive...lots of over pursuit...especiall on reverses, play actions and counters.

that i noticed...has improved...a certain reverse cmes to mind...we stayed home and locked out the niners receiver for a minimal gain...where we usually give 15 for that.

we are still aggressive...but not to a point of being wreckless...a key example to me was the play of darnell dockett. just watch him. just overall tighter.

with that being siad. im not sure if we just dont tackle well...or if gore is that good. we will see...got some different styled backs on the horizon. my guess is...certain backs just have our number. gore always kills us. yet we have stopped the likes of willie parker, alexander, jackson, amongst others respectively.

Laboy gets a gameball for the obvious plays...am i the only one that looks at him and think of Pat Tillman...?

Bertrand will not go quietly into the sunset...making good pressure on spot pass rush plays and making a big sack and FF. i love watching him play, he wont just yield to laboy easily...this is called DEPTH. i love it.

like many have said...i really wanna see one of those big michigan boys inside with dockett.

some have crapped on Hayes' play...he did get blocked plenty bad a lot. but i did see some good stuff from him...the fumble play and the screen he disrupted just being a couple.

okeafor looked healthy and fresh. pretty disruptive. keep it up.

calaise made a good play from the tackle position. good job on your first outting.

i like what they did with Rodgers-Cromartie...pplayed him out in space and moved green inside during nickel. makes mucho sense. he got his pads dirty a lil bit. good job...good drive on that hitch...he was right there. looks like whiz also wants to use his physical talents in many ways. good signs.

rolle looks like he needs to learn a bit more about his pursuit assignments. a lil more inside-out on run plays and he might get more in there.

the corners for the most part didnt get smoked at all.

AW got lost on the deep one to davis...but he also had the biggest play out of the DBs with that sweet pick. keep it up and you can say Aloha again AW.

the run support looks like it needs work...but that also might be atribute to gore more than anything...that needs further studying...same thing with pass defense. we went up against a great back...we will see better receivers. and we will see MUCH better quarterbacks.

i expect to see some more lumps in the D as we face better offenses. but we will get better.

i see our O holding true. we easily should have had 30+ pts against the niners. and their D is decent. we will also open the playbook more as our gameplanning becomes easier with more tape.

the next few games are winnable...we must win as many as we can early. the stars are alligning a bit when you look at the schedule...key injuries to opponents down the board.

the division is looking more beatable all the time...

we can do this. im allergic to cardinal koolaid...rarely ever optimistic...but i must admit...we are fielding a promising team this year coupled with some lucky breaks to other teams.

-fin-

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Nice report. Post more often.

One of my favorite plays was by Eric Green when he shoved Foster or Gore out of bounds on a reverse around left end. It was great to see Eric aggressively make a play in the run defense. If he doesn't make that play, it goes for a first down easy. Kudos to Greenie!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good stuff.

- Boldin never looks like he is running full speed. He said something about that a few years ago, about how it lets him cut better.....or something.

- Great point about our defense not over pursuing. Didn't even think about that.

:thumbup:

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Welcome Post...

Interesting observations and appreciate the time it took to share. As Cardinal fans' for any length of time, we are very cautious when it comes to getting our hopes up. But when I look at recent developments I see much improvement top to bottom. NEW stadium; NEW commitment by mgmt. to WIN; NEW quality coaching staff; NEW scouting team w/TREMENDOUS results already; NEW "free agents". (Have we "whiffed" on a few sure, BUT everyone does. Nature of the Beast!); ...AND we just WON on the road on Opening Day, no less. I'd have to get out my Cardinal history book to see when that happened the last time. Anyways, we have Miami coming to town. Any Parcells' influenced-team should NEVER be over-looked but I expect us to WIN Sunday. BUT for now I'm going to savor a VERY sweet WIN. GO CARDS!! ...And again, appreciate your post.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The things thhat seem to concern most of us is:

1. Red zone scoring. We could have easily scored 40 pts. Sunday. I think 2 things contributed to that. Opening day road game and the fact it was the first game of the season. I know we would have liked to come out hitting on all cylinders but the truth of the matter is GOOD teams win when they are NOT hitting on all cylinders.

2. Our run D. I'm going to contribute the biggest factor of not having our big guy in the middle, thus playing an "adjusted" scheme. We will see. That being said the D sure did get after em' forcing turnovers and laying the leather to them.

I'm going to relish this victory for 1 more day before I start thinking about the mighty Dolphins.

Good Post. Do it more often

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying Hayes is bad I have always just said if we had a borderline All Pro MLB we would absolutely dominate like Baltimore of old.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying Hayes is bad I have always just said if we had a borderline All Pro MLB we would absolutely dominate like Baltimore of old.

He had his moments sunday like the play where he caused the fumble by nailing the Tackle into the RB.

I think it can't be emphasized enough we played without eitehr Gabe or Branch inside so we were trying to scheme to cover that up and at the same time get after O'Sullivan. It left some gaping holes and cutback lanes and Gore made guys look silly at times.

We'll be a lot better when our Dt's come back.

but I'd agree if you put a guy like Maualuga with this group next year it'd be insane to watch.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post.

I couldn't be more thrilled with this coaching staff. I think we finally picked a winner in whis.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In his presser, Whisenhunt mentioned both Gerald Hayes and Karlos Dansby as having had particularly good games.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Offense Struggles In The First Half

Might be attributed to KW's lack of snaps in the preseason. It seemed as the game went on, Kurt got more comfortable and played better. JMO.