What’s Wrong with Murray?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All this talk of it being a make-or-break season for Murray is nonsense. He can keep chugging along at his career averages and remain the starting QB of the Arizona Cardinals.

Even in 2022 he was a mid-level passer. He’s not going anywhere, and barring injury or a complete performance collapse he’s not getting competition.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk of it being a make-or-break season for Murray is nonsense. He can keep chugging along at his career averages and remain the starting QB of the Arizona Cardinals.

Even in 2022 he was a mid-level passer. He’s not going anywhere, and barring injury or a complete performance collapse he’s not getting competition.
It's all about expectations. There is a difference between feeling like "he is going to take over the league" and being "meh. He is what he is".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Realistically, next season (2025) is probably the most "make or break" for Murray. Mostly due to a potential HC change if he is not doing well, and a salary savings of 35 mil after the 2025 season if the Cardinals cut him.

(not saying either of these things will happen, but just emphasizing the importance of those years)

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Realistically, next season is probably the most "make or break" for Murray. Mostly due to a potential HC change if he is not doing well, and a salary savings of 35 mil after the 2025 season if the Cardinals cut him.

(not saying either of these things will happen, but just emphasizing the importance of those years)
But what does “not doing well” mean here?

Are we gave have him compete with Desmond Ridder in 2025?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But what does “not doing well” mean here?

Are we gave have him compete with Desmond Ridder in 2025?
It is going to be a combo of statistical numbers and wins. If Kyler is passing for 3400 yards AND winning less than 8 games in 2024 and 2025, tough to think the Cardinals will continue rolling with him in 2026 at 45+ mil. If the Cardinals are above .500, I don't believe Monti/Gannon will be anxious to move on from Kyler. Same if Kyler is putting up huge numbers but the Cardinals aren't winning games...I would also believe Kyler is safe in that scenario.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is going to be a combo of statistical numbers and wins. If Kyler is passing for 3400 yards AND winning less than 8 games in 2024 and 2025, tough to think the Cardinals will continue rolling with him in 2026 at 45+ mil. If the Cardinals are above .500, I don't believe Monti/Gannon will be anxious to move on from Kyler. Same if Kyler is putting up huge numbers but the Cardinals aren't winning games...I would also believe Kyler is safe in that scenario.

Yeah. I just don’t think the bar is much higher than being the 16th best passer in the NFL. He’d have to play worse than his historic averages to get there.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah. I just don’t think the bar is much higher than being the 16th best passer in the NFL. He’d have to play worse than his historic averages to get there.
I don't believe Kyler would be the QB if they changed coaches after 2025 (which is just the soonest I could envision them moving on from Gannon).

He has to get better than the 2/1 TD to Int ratio he has had 3 of his 5 seasons.

3700 passing yards is probably a must.

His rookie year was 3722. 64.4% comp rate. 20/12 TDs/Ints. 544 yards rushing. 4 rush TDs. 5-10-1.

I think he has to be better than that for AZ to pay him 45+ after 2025. (and he hasn't put up those #s since 2021).