What are you reading now?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.

Pretty blown away so far..... just came out in paperback

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished Blind Side by Michael Lewis (Liars Poker, Moneyball, etc...)

Pretty amazing story 30% about the importance of the rise of the left tackle position in the NFL but more about 70% of the story of current sophomore Ole Miss tackle Michael Oher.

Great story of how a rich white family took in an incredibly disadvantaged black teen from a broken life in the projects and gave him a new chance.

Great read.
I'm reading that now, too. I was so interested to see what happened to Oher that I looked him up on the internet.

I'm sure some of it is hyperbole, but he sounds like he's almost super-human he's so athletic and big. I just read the part about the car accident he was in with SJ and how he tried to stop the airbag (and the seeming proof that he at least partially succeeded). Crazy.

:bhiich:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Dogs of Babel

It's a terrific high concept: a woman falls from a backyard tree and dies; the only witness is the family dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback. To find out what happened-accident? suicide?-her grieving husband tries to teach the dog to talk. Parkhurst's debut novel has been getting a lot of pre-pub attention, probably mostly for this concept, because the execution of this first novel is flawed. The tantalizing prospect of linguistics professor Paul Iverson attempting to teach Lorelei to talk is given short, and erratically plotted, shrift. Paul's narration oscillates between his present-day experiences and the backstory of his romance with Lexy Ransome, a mask maker. The two meet when Paul drops by Lexy's yard sale, buys a device for shaping hard-boiled eggs into squares, then returns with a bunch of square eggs ("And we stood there smiling, with the plate between us, the egg-cubes glowing palely in the growing dark"). This incident, a maxi-combo of cute and sentimental, defines much of the couple's love story (on their first date, Lexy whisks them off to DisneyWorld), marking much of this novel as a sentimental, manipulative romance not unlike James Patterson's Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas; some readers will adore it, while others will gag even as the pages darken toward tragedy. Few will relish the sketchy account of Paul's work with the dog, which goes nowhere until it veers, bizarrely and unbelievably, toward an underground group performing illegal surgical experiments on dogs. Parkhurst is a fluid stylist, and there are memorable moments here, as well as some terrific characters (particularly the enigmatic Lexy), but one gets the sense of an author trying to stuff every notion she's ever had into her first book, with less than splendid results.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to the bookstore today (in a few minutes) and I'm open to suggestions. Got any?

Also, has Jenna read "Owen Meany," yet? Inquiring minds have other things on their plate, but I want to know.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to the bookstore today (in a few minutes) and I'm open to suggestions. Got any?

You can be like Shane and me and become a Vince Flynn addict. Start with "Term Limits".

If you like Michael Lewis, "Liar's Poker" is a good book even though it is dated.

Ben Mezerich (sp?) "Bringing down the House" is a fun, true story of the MIT students that took Vegas for millions in blackjack.

My favorite fiction book of all time is probably Ken Grimwoods "Replay". Story of a guy who suddenly goes back in time and lives his life over. Hard to find and nobody has really heard of it.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle

Also, has Jenna read "Owen Meany," yet? Inquiring minds have other things on their plate, but I want to know.

not yet. it's next on my list. at the moment i'm reading "a long way down" by nick hornby. so far, so good. i guess you can take that as my recommendation. here's some info from amazon.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaniong towards "Replay," but I may get sidetracked by something else in the store (I'm kind of a tactile shopper--and that's why I usually end up spending more than I intend in places like Borders).

Thanks!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I read a Reader's Digest last night. When did this become such a SnoozeFest?? I used to love reading about Bear Attacks and stuff....now it was all information about Roth IRA's and stuff. How can that help me?? Bring on the bear attacks.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up "Replay."

I almost went with Mark Haddon's new one, but it was only in hardback, so the ol' wallet put the kibosh on that one.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I picked up "Replay."

I almost went with Mark Haddon's new one, but it was only in hardback, so the ol' wallet put the kibosh on that one.

If it is half as good as Curious Dog in the Park or whatever it was called.....it would be well worth it.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:) especially since I'm filing after the New Year..he's lucky I'm spending anything on him--especially something thoughtful!

Whoa, this almost warrants it's own thread..... since when did this happen?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite fiction book of all time is probably Ken Grimwoods "Replay". Story of a guy who suddenly goes back in time and lives his life over. Hard to find and nobody has really heard of it.

I love that book. Read it twice and still have it somewhere. :thumbup: