What are you reading now?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa, this almost warrants it's own thread..... since when did this happen?

two weeks ago this coming Monday. He's not happy with me. I'm not happy w/him...I've refrained from being a downer on the board, but it's been a rough couple of weeks.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, the library is awesome. I havent went there since I was a kid. Got a new library card and checked out some books. I was shocked at their DVD selection.

I read "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" in less than a day and am passing it on to D-Dogg.

I got David Halberstam's book "The Education of a Coach" and "Desperate Networks" by Bill Carter.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished "the Prestige" (the book the movie with Hugh Jackman and Christain Bale was based on). It was a pretty good read, the ending was strange.

I also just finished "Blindside" about the evolution of the LT position and this kid who is destined to become the next great LT. Pretty good. not what I expected, but pretty good.

Next up: "Replay"

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
we've been getting a lot of christmas gifts from big corporations (fidelity, prudential etc.) and someone just sent me a copy of "the bourne legacy." :thumbup:

Remember the monitary value must not exceed $100.00

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished "Replay" last night (started it yesterday morning). It was really good. I'm still thinking about it today.

One thing I'm wondering, is why hasn't it been made into a movie, yet? (and no smart alec links to Groundhog Day, okay?)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished In The Company Of Heroes Written by Michael Durant. Great great read. I cant believe what he endured.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is next to receive "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" on the ASFN book club?

I'll be done with it soon, and it is hilarious...jacked up and awesome. I think NEZ would enjoy the hell out of it.

PM me the address for the next in line....

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is next to receive "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" on the ASFN book club?

I'll be done with it soon, and it is hilarious...jacked up and awesome. I think NEZ would enjoy the hell out of it.

PM me the address for the next in line....

:thumbup:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished "Replay" last night (started it yesterday morning). It was really good. I'm still thinking about it today.

One thing I'm wondering, is why hasn't it been made into a movie, yet? (and no smart alec links to Groundhog Day, okay?)

On the amazon.com link to the book it says the film rights have been sold to United Artists, but I think that was years ago. Grimwood died in 2003 so maybe that is part of the problem. Dunno. :shrug:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still find myself thinking about "Replay."

I tried to tell my wife what it was about and realized how tightly written it was. My synopsis was a mess--I can only imagine what it took to tell that story so well.

Here's something else, though. Towards the end when they were looking for other "replayers," one of the letters that camer to them was from some organization called the ...crap, I'm forgetting what it was called now...The Outlook Group? Anyway, they made mention of this group more than once in a couple of pages and I thought for sure it was going somewhere; then, nothing. I wonder if there was a whole direction/chapter that was edited out.

Guess we'll never know.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I just started Carl Hassien's latest: "Nature Girl."

Oddly, it's dedicated to someone named "abomb." Weird.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Bill Bryson's "The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid". Really enjoyed this book. A lot of laugh out loud moments brought on by memories resurfaced.

Hint: Remember the wax lips they passed off as candy?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just finished Mitch Albom's latest... One More Day. Candidly, I am not a huge fan of Albom's on-screen persona on the Sports Reporters, however, the guy can flat out tell a story...
I loved Tuesdays with Mory, and The Five People You Meet In Heaven, however, One More Day is now my favorite.
All are quick reads.
I highly recommend all three, and in particular, One More Day!

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Gonna start "The Big Over Easy" today.

\Fforde's whimsical fifth novel, his first not to feature literary detective Thursday Next, is consistently witty, but its conceit—putting a criminal spin on nursery rhymes—wears a bit thin. Det. Jack Spratt, the dedicated but underappreciated investigator in the Reading, England, Nursery Crimes Division, is depressed because the court finds the three little pigs "not guilty of all charges relating to the first-degree murder of Mr. Wolff." Working with an ambitious young detective, Mary Mary ("Quite Contrary"), Spratt later takes on the case of "fall guy" Humpty Dumpty. Fforde crafts a police procedural out of this bizarre alternative universe that prizes, as The Eyre Affair does, literacy (detectives, for example, garner recognition less for solving crimes than by writing articles about cases for the likes of Amazing Crime Stories or Sleuth Illustrated). While it can be charming to encounter Mrs. Hubbard or Tom Thomm or to hear Spratt bemoan "illegal straw-into-gold dens" in this unusual context, the novel's broad satire overshadows elements like plot, conflict and characterization. The result is unusually clever but not compelling in the least.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got bored with it so I've been picking it up here and there, but I haven't read it straight through.

It's interesting, but not completely engaging like I thought it would be.

Freakanomics. Agreed. Very boring. Nothing enlightening or earth shattering. Given to me as a gift. I would like to give it back.

Currently reading

" Letters from the Earth "
Mark Twain.

Last edited: