What is wrong with Mallet?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just like most of you I am all for doing what ever is necessary to get Luck, but we all know that is not going to happen.. so I want to know exactly what the heck is wrong with Mallet. Where is this bad wrap coming from. From everything I've seen he only had one ok to bad game and that was against Alabama? What the dilly yo?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like most of you I am all for doing what ever is necessary to get Luck, but we all know that is not going to happen.. so I want to know exactly what the heck is wrong with Mallet. Where is this bad wrap coming from. From everything I've seen he only had one ok to bad game and that was against Alabama? What the dilly yo?
Nothing. Someone somewhere said he had poor footwork and mentioned DA in comparison.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are some character concerns, though I don't know what those supposed concerns are. Some question his intelligence and ability to make proper reads and go through his progressions.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I still got Mallet right behind Newton, my only late rise was Gabberts moving up in front of Locker.
Luck
Newton
Mallet
Gabbert

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
There are some character concerns, though I don't know what those supposed concerns are. Some question his intelligence and ability to make proper reads and go through his progressions.

This

Also Bobby Petrino doesn't have a good track record of producing NFL QBs. His guys are often viewed as "system quarterbacks".

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I still got Mallet right behind Newton, my only late rise was Gabberts moving up in front of Locker.
Luck
Newton
Mallet
Gabbert

It took you that long to move Gabbert ahead of Locker? :D

Locker fell like a rock this season IMO. To me he's like the 5th highest QB in this draft

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It took you that long to move Gabbert ahead of Locker? :D

Locker fell like a rock this season IMO. To me he's like the 5th highest QB in this draft
I hadn't seen much of Gabbert until recently. But at least Locker isn't even on my list.:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure but he's falling like a hammer.

Supposedly there are character issues with him, what that means is anybody's guess.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair Tedford QBs have a label of always being crap also but Aaron Rodgers is proving that wrong right now.

Yeah but Petrino is a system coach where Tedford is a technique coach. Cal plays a pro set, people don't like how he teaches his QB's to hold the ball up high like that they think it makes them robotic and susceptible to fumbling when hit.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
They just talked about him on ESPN and showed some stats. When he gets pressured and has to move his stats are down-right horrible: he throws many picks and incompletions. He'll need one hell of a good o-line, at least early in his career, to look good in the NFL.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm not sure but he's falling like a hammer.

Supposedly there are character issues with him, what that means is anybody's guess.

Didn't Marino supposedly have character issues?

If this is a replay of the great QB draft of all time, just please don't draft Todd Blackledge of the group.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Only thing I can see wrong about the kid is that he bears the stench that comes from the dreaded disease known as Mulli-Supportitis... :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marino had the bad knee coming out. His dropping was a medical issue.

There was also a cocaine rumor surrounding Marino and he only scored 16 on the Wunderlich.

Rodgers is doing a mini version of what Marino did, slide way too far and then make everyone look stupid.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Marino had the bad knee coming out. His dropping was a medical issue.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...e-fallen-but-clausens-plunge-raises-questions

Consider something else. The most famous (or infamous) quarterback to have his draft-day stock plummet was Dan Marino. It was 1983, long before the NFL did the whole green-room thing, so there were no cameras capturing his nightmare. Thanks to rumors of marijuana use when he was at the University of Pittsburgh, Marino fell all the way to 27th.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well if the character issues have to do with his leaving Michigan, then we need to give him a medal for getting off that train wreck! I have been searching and all I could find is the same line about "I know stuff... blah, blah" Hey... It might be true, but there isn't anything to go on except the same quote working it's way around the net.

As for his footwork.. I can buy that argument. Prior to this year I would have said no problem, but judging by how Leinart and DA struggled with footwork the past few years I have zero confidence in our coaches ability to fix this particular issue.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I've seen a mock, or two, that have us taking Mallett in round 2. I think either him or Locker falls to round 2. As for downgrading him for tranferring from Michigan, that is total BS. Can you imagine Mallett trying to run Rich Rodriguez's offense? Any pro style QB would have transferred.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but Petrino is a system coach where Tedford is a technique coach. Cal plays a pro set, people don't like how he teaches his QB's to hold the ball up high like that they think it makes them robotic and susceptible to fumbling when hit.

I came here to post this. Beat me to it.

Mallett is ordinary beyond his big arm. He plays in a Petrino system that has produced QBs just like Mallett before him. He's Brian Brohm II.

Not saying that Mallett can't be a good NFL QB, but he's not Top 10 pick worthy. Not by a long shot. Way too big of a risk.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I came here to post this. Beat me to it.

Mallett is ordinary beyond his big arm. He plays in a Petrino system that has produced QBs just like Mallett before him. He's Brian Brohm II.

Not saying that Mallett can't be a good NFL QB, but he's not Top 10 pick worthy. Not by a long shot. Way too big of a risk.
I don't agree with this. You just can't lump a guy into being a system QB. If Brohm had Mallet's arm , he'd likely be a star right now. Kolb was a system QB and people want him. Gabbert is a system QB too. Now some guys put up numbers because of the system alone and weren't legit prop prospects in the first place like Colt Brennan or just about any Texas Tech QB. But if a guy is legit, like Mallet and Gabbert, playing in a system shouldn't hurt them.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this. You just can't lump a guy into being a system QB. If Brohm had Mallet's arm , he'd likely be a star right now. Kolb was a system QB and people want him. Gabbert is a system QB too. Now some guys put up numbers because of the system alone and weren't legit prop prospects in the first place like Colt Brennan or just about any Texas Tech QB. But if a guy is legit, like Mallet and Gabbert, playing in a system shouldn't hurt them.

I'm not just lumping him. I've seen him play 8 times, and beyond his arm I haven't seen anything about him that screams special. If the defense takes away his initial option, he really falls apart. He's not just immobile, he has no feel for pocket pressure.

Take him in the second round if you like him. Shoot, trade into the late first round if he's there. That's where he belongs. But draft him in the Top 10 at your own peril.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I'm not just lumping him. I've seen him play 8 times, and beyond his arm I haven't seen anything about him that screams special. If the defense takes away his initial option, he really falls apart. He's not just immobile, he has no feel for pocket pressure.

Take him in the second round if you like him. Shoot, trade into the late first round if he's there. That's where he belongs. But draft him in the Top 10 at your own peril.
Fair enough. I thought you were saying not to take him just because he played in Petrino's system.