What is wrong with Mallet?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was also a cocaine rumor surrounding Marino and he only scored 16 on the Wunderlich.

Rodgers is doing a mini version of what Marino did, slide way too far and then make everyone look stupid.

Marino also didn't play as well in his senior year as the year before. He actually threw more INTs than TDs. Think about that. No way in hell ANY QB today gets drafted in round one doing that his senior year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually this game has been showing his faults and his strength all at the same time. Great arm but has no feel for the pass rush and doesn't go beyond 1 read in a spread offense.

Derek Anderson 2.0

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. None of those QBs are really similar, IMO. George was actually a good QB who cared only about himself. Leaf was never a good NFL QB and was never going to be because he was never going to put in the work. Cade McNown was a tiny little weak-armed QB with moxy.

OK, they all had bad attitudes. Maybe that's what you're saying?

Mallett supposedly thinks very highly, maybe too highly, of himself. And, he's a hot head. Although, he supposedly matured some this year. This was what I heard Kirk Herbstriet say today.

Then, when I saw drop back and throw tonight, with that in my head, I thought, "Damn, he looks like Ryan Leaf did in college!"

That said, surely he CAN'T be the douchebag Leaf was.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He isn't doing him self any favors tonight, but damn homie. :D

I usually say that but throw in "with a touch of Ryan Leaf."

yeah, i hate Mallet - I think he's crap. But I'd take him in the second round...where he might end up if he keeps this showing going.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
After being rushed like crazy, he has lost any ability to anticipate the open windows. Last sack, he had his slot receiver coming wide open, and he missed it. Right down the central alley with a perfect throwing lane.

I am not impressed.... And the Alabama game is running through my mind. I see 3 INT's / Fumbles in the 2nd half at this pace.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me that last throw to the other team wasn't textbook Derek Anderson.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Oh.... and this is OHIO STATE.... Not the big boys. (Auburn, Alabama, Oregon, TCU, Oklahoma, etc...)

Looks like the Big 10 will win one finally.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't Marino supposedly have character issues?

If this is a replay of the great QB draft of all time, just please don't draft Todd Blackledge of the group.

There were rumors of cocaine use with Marino and his sub par senior season gave credence to it but Shula didn't buy into it.

As for Mallett, watching this Sugar Bowl, I ain't impressed. He just had a play where he had 2 receivers open down the middle and threw the pass to nobody.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The receivers aren't exactly helping him out, either. Its like watching Skelton... Great arm, inaccuracies, flashes of brilliance, areas of improvement on reading blitzes. Not very mobile at all though, at least Skeltons got that on him.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Cam Newton will be in UoP stadium on Monday night. There will be no bigger stage to impress the Bidwells (If Bill stays up past his bedtime), Graves, & Whiz.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tell me that last throw to the other team wasn't textbook Derek Anderson.
You are looking good in your assessment, there is another half. I don't see him lighting it up, but I hope so. It would make this game watchable. Pass on Mallet.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh.... and this is OHIO STATE.... Not the big boys. (Auburn, Alabama, Oregon, TCU, Oklahoma, etc...)

Looks like the Big 10 will win one finally.

Hard to believe Arkansas won as many as they did in the SEC with that defense. They play Arizona Cardinals defense.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cam Newton will be in UoP stadium on Monday night. There will be no bigger stage to impress the Bidwells (If Bill stays up past his bedtime), Graves, & Whiz.
YA-friggin-MON!
smiliefan.gif

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I swear to god you guys are high. He is throwing darts all over the field. He has crap receivers who have not done anything for him all night. Of course at the end of the night he probably will have a couple of picks because they will be throwing the rest of the night. He had one bad throw that i've seen and the replay showed his receiver jogging. I am really not seeing what you guys are seeing. Somebody is going to take this guy and get a steal. Meanwhile we'll keep our 5th round pick with his below %50 completion rate... because he's calm. :rolleyes:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I swear to god you guys are high. He is throwing darts all over the field. He has crap receivers who have not done anything for him all night. Of course at the end of the night he probably will have a couple of picks because they will be throwing the rest of the night. He had one bad throw that i've seen and the replay showed his receiver jogging. I am really not seeing what you guys are seeing. Somebody is going to take this guy and get a steal. Meanwhile we'll keep our 5th round pick with his below %50 completion rate... because he's calm. :rolleyes:

To a point, I agree with you clif. The open throws he is making are freaking laser beams. And his WR's are playing horribly tonight. The problem is that his pocket presence and awareness have not impressed me. He missed some basic reads because he isn't handling the pressure very well.

Honestly, it looks identical to the 2nd half against Alabama. If you pressure him, he tucks it to quickly. Just my opinion.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is making some awesome throws, then missing wide open people when he gets a sniff of pressure. He then gets time and throws it to the other team who thankfully drops the ball. He panics in the pocket. High highs, low lows. Pretty poor command, and he's completing 50% of his passes. That doesn't sound familiar? I bet he also takes that ish seriously.

One would have to be high as a kite to take him in the top 5. I'd take him, warts and all, in the second round in a heartbeat. Top 5 you'd be clinically insane.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think Mallet will be a solid QB in the NFL, but I don't like him behind our offensive line.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He missed a guy wide right by 5 yards.

He isn't DA.... But the kid isn't looking any better than Dalton or Gabbert, and my guess is that you don't see them as top 5 picks.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Because of the money you have to invest in a high draft pick QB, you have to be completely sold on them.

I am not even impressed by his mixtape, let alone the total package.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Ryan Mallet is a highlight reel guy, He'll make some throws that are accurate, powerful, and right on the money. Problem, probably half the posters on this board are more mobile in the pocket that he is. With the atrocious line that the cardinals have, and against an NFL caliber defense, he's going to struggle. He might develop into a decent pick if he's drafted a little later, allowed to sit for a year or two and improve his footwork, and then come in behind a strong offensive line. We don't have that luxury.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
For a big QB he almost cringes from pressure. It's like he's scared to get hit. No thanks, not with our oline.