What is wrong with Mallet?

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have been watching Mallet play for the last couple of years. he is ok. I agree with Self on this. He is not a top 10 pick and I am a Razorback fan. Mallet back-up is a better Qb than he is. He was introduce in the Auburn game when Mallet got knocked out. Don't remeber his name, but he wears number 8. Check him out tonight when they play Ohio.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mallet is a talented QB, there is no doubt about that, but there have been a countless number of extreme talents that failed as QBs in the NFL. The league is so fast that it is really difficult to succeed without the ability to make lightning quick decisions, and quickly diagnose blitzes and coverage. In all honesty, I don't really know for sure that Gabbert is superior at these things than Newton or Mallet, but from what I read he is a great kid, great student, great leader, and has a lot of talent. That alone makes me favor Gabbert over Mallet and Newton. He does have a lot of adjustments to make coming from a spread offense.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ohio is favored to win tonight, its a perfect show of strength scenario for Mallet to impress the nay-sayers. I don't know if he will, but if he doesn't win tonight I do see him possibly sliding to the second round.
I watched Gabbert's last game, I was impressed and surprised he came out this year, but it seems like he is move'n on up.
Newton's game will also be a big factor of where evry body ends up in the grand scheme of things. I expect the Vince Young BCS bowl game winning type of performance from him. Oregon can score fast, and Auburn does fall behind ealry in some games.

Anyways, I will be watching Mallet closely tonight, while there is a whole lotta pressure on him. That is kinda how try to judge college QBs. Stats/histories are cool to look up...but you know.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rodgers got to sit on an NFL bench for a long time by most standards. That damages a little of the comparison because we don't know how quickly his acclamation process really took.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Ohio is favored to win tonight, its a perfect show of strength scenario for Mallet to impress the nay-sayers. I don't know if he will, but if he doesn't win tonight I do see him possibly sliding to the second round.
I watched Gabbert's last game, I was impressed and surprised he came out this year, but it seems like he is move'n on up.
Newton's game will also be a big factor of where evry body ends up in the grand scheme of things. I expect the Vince Young BCS bowl game winning type of performance from him. Oregon can score fast, and Auburn does fall behind ealry in some games.

Anyways, I will be watching Mallet closely tonight, while there is a whole lotta pressure on him. That is kinda how try to judge college QBs. Stats/histories are cool to look up...but you know.
Big 10 in Bowl games this year:barf:. Tressel has never beaten a SEC team either. In other words bet big on OSU.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I have been watching Mallet play for the last couple of years. he is ok. I agree with Self on this. He is not a top 10 pick and I am a Razorback fan. Mallet back-up is a better Qb than he is. He was introduce in the Auburn game when Mallet got knocked out. Don't remeber his name, but he wears number 8. Check him out tonight when they play Ohio.
You're right about the backup. His last name is Wilson, Tyler maybe. I hope he doesn't see the field tonight. Except for Luck, he is the best QB i have seen this year.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
This

Also Bobby Petrino doesn't have a good track record of producing NFL QBs. His guys are often viewed as "system quarterbacks".

I honestly think this is the biggest issue working against him in the minds of some.

Quite honestly, a good QB is a good QB. Bob Stoops doesn't exactly have a world beater's record of producing QB, yet Sam Bradford has been exceptional in St. Louis this year, considering the circumstances.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn't Mallet on national TV tonight (Ohio St v Ark)?

Definitely a "must watch
."

Sure is Jeff...he is good...real good...not Luck, but a pure pocket passer with a gun for an arm and can move around a bit....you will like what you see....still needs the time to develop like just about every QB does (yeah, there are a couple of guys who had a very short learning curve!!)

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I honestly think this is the biggest issue working against him in the minds of some.

Quite honestly, a good QB is a good QB. Bob Stoops doesn't exactly have a world beater's record of producing QB, yet Sam Bradford has been exceptional in St. Louis this year, considering the circumstances.

yep

remember "oh - he is a Jeff Tedford Qb"

-- and then Aaron Rodgers came along

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good qb are hard to find. Sometimes they are disquised by the "system" but usually the exceptional ones stand out. A former great Cardinal qb was classified as a system qb when he came out of Portland State. As a result, Lomax dropped out of the first round and the Cards took him. We know the rest of the story.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Good qb are hard to find. Sometimes they are disquised by the "system" but usually the exceptional ones stand out. A former great Cardinal qb was classified as a system qb when he came out of Portland State. As a result, Lomax dropped out of the first round and the Cards took him. We know the rest of the story.

Excellent analogy, Larry!:rockon:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a mock, or two, that have us taking Mallett in round 2. I think either him or Locker falls to round 2. As for downgrading him for tranferring from Michigan, that is total BS. Can you imagine Mallett trying to run Rich Rodriguez's offense? Any pro style QB would have transferred.

Maybe they mean because he considered UCLA but picked Arkansas instead?

:D

Although again he's better off having done that since UCLA started toying with the pistol last year and played it a lot this year, he would not fit that offense at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rodgers got to sit on an NFL bench for a long time by most standards. That damages a little of the comparison because we don't know how quickly his acclamation process really took.

True but he was sitting behind a guy who was not only a HOF QB, but a guy who does just about everything you tell young Qb's to NOT do. So I doubt Rodgers was getting coached up too much by Favre, but maybe he got coached up by the Packers staff.

That said watch him play, he still holds the ball up high as Tedford teaches, that's why his release is so quick, it's why Tedford has his QB's do that, as well as it reminds them about where their elbow is supposed to be.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Mallett looks good so far if given time. When his protection breaks down quickly he looks like crap. Which means he would be a terrible Cardinal.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Mallett looks good so far if given time. When his protection breaks down quickly he looks like crap. Which means he would be a terrible Cardinal.

Actually this game has been showing his faults and his strength all at the same time. Great arm but has no feel for the pass rush and doesn't go beyond 1 read in a spread offense.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown. Next up Ryan Mallett.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

He is a Drew Bledsoe clone. Thunderbolt for an arm.... but is rattled by chaos. Unfortunately, the Cardinals are complete chaos.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That said watch him play, he still holds the ball up high as Tedford teaches, that's why his release is so quick, it's why Tedford has his QB's do that, as well as it reminds them about where their elbow is supposed to be.

Steve Axman is a family friend. Steve literally wrote THE book on coaching QBs -- used everywhere by high school and college coaches alike. He says Tedford is the best QB coach in football at any level right now, and that his QBs always have perfect mechanics. Now, not much you can do with the stuff between the ears and the physical make up, that's usually God-given, but no doubt Tedford QBs don't lack for technical ability.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown. Next up Ryan Mallett.

Hmmm. None of those QBs are really similar, IMO. George was actually a good QB who cared only about himself. Leaf was never a good NFL QB and was never going to be because he was never going to put in the work. Cade McNown was a tiny little weak-armed QB with moxy.

OK, they all had bad attitudes. Maybe that's what you're saying?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing: Skelton has more upside skill than Mallett. The only thing Mallett has on Skelton is playing against high level college competition, but since Skelton has actually played a few games in the NFL and survived, that comparison is pointless.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I thought you were saying not to take him just because he played in Petrino's system.

My inclination would be not to take him. I think you already have Mallett in Skelton. Mallett has a stronger arm, Skelton is more mobile, but I think Skelton definitely has the edge in mental makeup. But they are more or less built the same and bring similar physical abilities to the table. They both have double negative accuracy issues, but more so Mallett than Skelton.

So at least you know what you have in Skelton and how he might fit in here. I don't know why you'd want to throw lots of guaranteed money at a guy that's so similar to him -- and with no better guarantee you're going to get a starting QB out of him.

The only QBs I think the Cardinals should even look at in the first round are Luck and Newton. And Newton is a reach at No. 5, but maybe he's worth it. I guess it really depends on personal interviews they do to see if he's going to be a kid who comes in and works and gets better.

Anone else should be someone slated to come in behind Skelton to develop but brings something different to the table -- preferably accuracy and leadership. And on this path you have to bring in a legitimate veteran starter.

Anyone have Steve DeBerg's number? That guy's ageless and he'd be perfect to plug in for a year or two. Even at 56 I bet he'd perform better than any of the Cards QBs this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05