What is wrong with Mallet?

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I'm the big ten I'm not hanging my hat on this one. This was about to be an epic collapse. Speaking of collapses...how much money did mallet just cost himself?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about Mallet & can't put a finger on it but I've never been a fan or believe he's a differance maker. I want no part of Mallet as cards QB.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm the big ten I'm not hanging my hat on this one. This was about to be an epic collapse. Speaking of collapses...how much money did mallet just cost himself?

They were lucky the Arkansas kid fell on the blocked punt. There was zero reason to not try and scoop it and run it in there since it was fourth down. At first, I thought he just lost his balance. But, on the replay, he clearly just fell on it.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about Mallet & can't put a finger on it but I've never been a fan or believe he's a differance maker. I want no part of Mallet as cards QB.

That was a bad ending, but he did lead them to the sugar bowl for the first time in their history. They went 11-2.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He made a couple of pretty throws and his WRs did have some bad drops. but, Arkansas' run game turned it around more than what he did. That, and their defense getting it together in the second half.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Hard to say as there might be a team that falls in love with him as a prospect due to him being a physical speciman.

The system that he ran withheld a lot of his faults.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mallett's lack of mobility in the pocket and his inability to throw while moving are the two main reasons that he will not be successful in the NFL. To be a good, young QB in the NFL today, you have to be athletic and Mallett just isn't.

Aaron Rodgers - athletic
Michael Vick - unreal
Phillip Rivers - athletic
Matt Ryan - athletic
Sam Bradford - athletic
Jay Cutler - athletic
Josh Freeman - athletic
Ben Roethlisberger - athletic
Tony Romo - athletic
Joe Flacco - atheltic

Ryan Mallett just isn't athletic enough which is why he has terrible footwork. DA is the exact same. Same with Leftwich and Chad Henne. It's also the reason for Carson Palmer's struggles since surgery. Anymore the quarterback position requires legitimate amount of athleticism to be successful.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
That was a bad ending, but he did lead them to the sugar bowl for the first time in their history. They went 11-2.

And that means he will be a great NFL QB? Sorry Clif but my feelings about the guy were way before today.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think Mallet might have just thrown his way into the second round with this showing. He is right there with Jake Locker. We are down to three QB's for the first round now. Luck, Newton and Gabbert. Newton reminds me of Randall Cunningham and Gabbert reminds me of Kurt Warner only he can also run and get out of the pocket.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard to say as there might be a team that falls in love with him as a prospect due to him being a physical speciman.

The system that he ran withheld a lot of his faults.

Or maybe the system created his faults. I would not be upset if we took him. He clearly believes in his arm too much, but if you can get him looking in the right direction he could be a stud. Too bad. He sadly will be scooped up by a good coach and someone will get a steal. Based on tonight I can't argue on passing on him at 5.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Or maybe the system created his faults. I would not be upset if we took him. He clearly believes in his arm too much, but if you can get him looking in the right direction he could be a stud. Too bad. He sadly will be scooped up by a good coach and someone will get a steal. Based on tonight I can't argue on passing on him at 5.

He is another Chad Henne. Not athletic enough to be successful.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Tonight's game supports the theory that if you can't get Luck in round 1 then don't take a QB.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And that means he will be a great NFL QB? Sorry Clif but my feelings about the guy were way before today.

No you said difference maker. I think he is one based on the fact that he got them to the sugar bowl for the first time ever. I didn't say he was great.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Come on. Stand by your man. If you truly believe that then if you are the GM you take him at #5.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight's game supports the theory that if you can't get Luck in round 1 then don't take a QB.

Yeah, that's how I'm leaning too cbus.

BTW, congrats on the win. The Buckeye fans looked like they were dying most of the 2nd half, just expecting to lose. I've never liked Arkansas and Petrino strikes me as a jerk.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I'm leaning too cbus.

BTW, congrats on the win. The Buckeye fans looked like they were dying most of the wnd half, just expecting to lose.
Tressel ball :bang:. Put up 300 yard of offense in the first half, shut it down in the 2nd.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thanks to Derek Anderson part Deux.

I'd take my shot with Newton (who I agree, reminds me of a young Randall Cunningham) and take my shot at greatness. That means we will take the second ranked defensive end who most of us will loathe while others will champion no matter how good Newton is and how bad our pick is.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thanks to Derek Anderson part Deux.

I'd take my shot with Newton (who I agree, reminds me of a young Randall Cunningham) and take my shot at greatness. That means we will take the second ranked defensive end who most of us will loathe while others will champion no matter how good Newton is and how bad our pick is.

Either way, we'll screw it up. If we take Newton, he's a colossal bust. If we pass on him and take a pass rusher, our guy will get hurt and Newton will go superstar.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Come on. Stand by your man. If you truly believe that then if you are the GM you take him at #5.

I like the kid, but I'm not stupid. That was a killer turnover. One bad enough where I would not want to pay him close to 80 million. With that said if we were in the mid to late 1st or you bet your bottom dollar top of the 2nd, I'm still pulling the trigger. He is still better than DA. It's not even close. DA is just terribly inaccurate while I think Mallet loves his arm too much.

What does get me though is why people keep making Skelton out to be more than he is. They keep propping up Skelton in comparison to Mallet. What good does that do?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way, we'll screw it up. If we take Newton, he's a colossal bust. If we pass on him and take a pass rusher, our guy will get hurt and Newton will go superstar.

Oh, oh. The extreme darkside is making a comeback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05