What RB's are still out there?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Brian Westbrook: Not a ton of power, but still able to make defenders miss which is what the staff liked about Williams. He isn't big, but has experience blocking out of spread formations, and he has sold hands which the Cardinals also liked about Williams. Perfect fit, no. But might be the best option out there for what we do on offense.

I like this out of the names available as well. You know you will get a few things out of Westbrook. You get a smart guy who wont make mistakes, who knows how to throw a block in pass pro, can still catch, and can still give you about 80-100 runs a year. Not a full time starter but a good complimentary piece, possibly to Wells.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some wait and see's...

How many running backs are the Pats going to really keep? They have Ridley, Vreen, Sammy Morris, Ben Green-Ellis, & Danny Woodhead. Might be worth waiting to see who they try and sneak onto the practice squad.

There might be solid cut options down the line. I think that the Cards probably will sign a vet soon for preseason reps, and snatch a better upside practice squad/roster cut player closer to the beginning of the season.
I like any options from that team, but don't like the idea of giving up draft picks. I have confidence Williams will come back, so I only want to see cuts.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Didnt read the full 6 pages of sorry if this is a repeat but do you think taking a look at Tiki Barber is worth it? Could probably be had cheap.

Black T

Reaction score
We just need to wait for cuts

theres going to be some talent out there

good thing about the RB postion is that you dont have much of a learning curve (besides the language) when you move from team to team.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

good thing about the RB postion is that you dont have much of a learning curve (besides the language) when you move from team to team.

Why wait for cuts when you have a plethora of decent RBs out there that can be signed now and learn the system; whereas, a guy cut 2 weeks from now would be going in green into week 1.

It's almost gambling to wait for RBs to fall into your lap during cut day. You don't know who's going to be available.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why wait for cuts when you have a plethora of decent RBs out there that can be signed now and learn the system; whereas, a guy cut 2 weeks from now would be going in green into week 1.

It's almost gambling to wait for RBs to fall into your lap during cut day. You don't know who's going to be available.

I suggest there will be more quality in the cuts then out there now.

Anyway, it isn't likely that a new RB will be a factor in game one of the season...

TJ

Reaction score

BTW...welcome Newbie :newbie:

:cheers:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

I agree 100%. Bring in 2 extra RBs while we still can keep 90 players. One might be a nice fit.

TJ

Reaction score
I suggest there will be more quality in the cuts then out there now.

Anyway, it isn't likely that a new RB will be a factor in game one of the season...

Thing is, we don't know who'll be out there 2 weeks from now. I can't imagine anyone that is going to get cut will be anymore talented than the guys available right now. I'd rather get a player in here now and get him immersed in the offense right away.

Maybe a couple of viable veterans will be available, but it'll mostly be UDFAs and last year's draft picks that didn't pan. If that's the direction the FO is heading, then I'd rather use Alphonso Smith.

As Joe suggested, a guy like Westbrook wouldn't be bad for one season as a 5-8 carry per game or situational back. Did you get a chance to see the list of FAs I posted earlier in this thread? No one is a world beater, but it's a safe bet to bring one of them in here now rather than taking a wait and see approach.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I wonder whether the Cards might consider playing Sherman deep and giving him a few touches to see what he can do in the role of a big (Brandon Jacobs type) RB.

Could not agree more. We may have a tough SOB of a FB and not know it. I would really like to see Sherman gets some carries and see what he can do. If he could give us 5-7 effective carries a game that would really help out.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder whether the Cards might consider playing Sherman deep and giving him a few touches to see what he can do in the role of a big (Brandon Jacobs type) RB.

thoughtfully put jeff.....you can bank on this in game 3 whether they pick someone up or not.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Dimitri Nance, word is he will be cut. I think this kid has got some talent and has that ASU-Cardinal connection. His 2.6 YPC last year wasn't impressive but he got the tough yards.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Dimitri Nance, word is he will be cut. I think this kid has got some talent and has that ASU-Cardinal connection. His 2.6 YPC last year wasn't impressive but he got the tough yards.
I would love to have Nance, seeing as how he's an ASU product, but he's too much like Wells and the Cards need a back who is fast, and can make ppl miss. Otherwise theres no point in getting another RB. Word from Somers is that the cards are gonna wait it out for a couple weeks to see which players are cut/waived, and then snag a change of pace back through waivers.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

You sign a body now to take some hits and then pounce no any cut player that you like. You can't wait because you need to pass reps to another player so Wells & LSH don't get worn out, but the guy you sign is probably not with the team once more talented backs are cut.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Out of that list I think the clear cut favorite has to be Westbrook. Also, living in MD I can say that I want no part of Portis. He's a prick who couldn't beat me in a race. I love his toughness and he still may be the best RB in the league as far as pass protection goes, but dude is a headache and injury prone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to have Nance, seeing as how he's an ASU product, but he's too much like Wells and the Cards need a back who is fast, and can make ppl miss. Otherwise theres no point in getting another RB. Word from Somers is that the cards are gonna wait it out for a couple weeks to see which players are cut/waived, and then snag a change of pace back through waivers.

But he's really not that much like Beanie. I think he'd be a solid pickup also. His strength, unlike Beanie, is his ability to come through in short yardage situations. And again, unlike Beanie, he can run in traffic and he actually has to be tackled before he goes to the ground. I'm fine with Smith and LSH getting most of the non-starter carries but Nance would fill a nice hole for us.

Steve