What should the Suns do with Gortat this summer?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They did actually save Amare. He played his best years here and didn't miss nearly as many games as he did in NY ratio wise.

And I don't think the medical staff needed to be gods to save Gordon. His case wasn't that bad and I think the main reason he wanted to play for the Suns so bad was because he thought Aaron Nelson can prolong his career.

Also, when healthy, Eric Gordon is 22ppg+ scorer with good defense and efficiency and while improving his passing. Not to mention he's incredibly young and had been improving his game every season.

And the max contract isn't what it once was. Guys like Tyreke Evans, Nicolas Batum, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Roy Hibbert plus many more make the max contract or close to it. So I don't think its such a tragedy to give Gordon, a young rising star a max contract.

That's my opinion on Gordon. We have had this discussion before and neither of us have changed our minds before so no need to try it now. You think giving Gordon a max deal was an awful idea, I don't.

I'm not gonna spend more time talking about that since its a move that didn't even happen. Let's focus on the future again, and go back to the topic at hand, what we should do with Gortat and when.

Amare was older in NY and the doctors knew that was coming, it was New Yorks ignorance that cost them, they couldnt even get insurance companies to write off on the deal.

And they absolutely need to be miracle workers to keep Gordon on the court, he is one of the most injury plagued players in the league.

And improving every year? Gordon has played 5 seasons, and his 4th and 5th were his least productive... thats the opposite of improving with each season.

As for guys like Evans and Johnson being on heafty contracts... I've never understood the logic of defending one stupid contract by pointing out another. Gay and Johnson's contracts are two of the worst in the league, Evans will almost certainly follow in that path and Eric Gordon is already near the top of most peoples "terrible contract" lists.

A healthy Gordon is not a max player... and the guy is never healthy. And if you honestly think he dogged it last year in New Orleans then that would scare me more than his ACTUAL injuries.

It says a lot for how bad that contract was when New Orleans is turning around the very next offseason and blowing a huge wad of cash on Evans to fill void Gordon leaves when he is wearing a suit for half the year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Many recent moves? You think hiring McDonough was an awful move? You think drafting Len and Goodwin was an awful move? You think trading for Bledsoe was an awful move? Please feel free to leave at anytime.

Ha, we're talking about Blanks and Babby, try to keep up.

You think giving Gordon a max deal was an awful idea, I don't.

And, per usual, you're wrong, comically wrong. That anyone would honestly STILL claim giving Gordon a max deal is a good deal shows you know nothing.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ha, we're talking about Blanks and Babby, try to keep up.

And, per usual, you're wrong, comically wrong. That anyone would honestly STILL claim giving Gordon a max deal is a good deal shows you know nothing.

Ok, and you are right like usual. I'm disappointed that the Suns didn't hire you as GM since you seem to know everything.

And you said "recent moves"....Blanks hasn't made any recent moves here, McDonough has.

Also I'll give you a bit of an English lesson (something I'm sure you will eventually learn in middle or high school perhaps) Opinions can't be right or wrong. That's why it's an opinion. If I presented it as a fact, then sure but an opinion? No. You can of course, disagree with my opinion like Phrazbit has done above and that again is much different than saying someone's opinion is wrong.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Also I'll give you a bit of an English lesson (something I'm sure you will eventually learn in middle or high school perhaps) Opinions can't be right or wrong. That's why it's an opinion. If I presented it as a fact, then sure but an opinion? No. You can of course, disagree with my opinion like Phrazbit has done above and that again is much different than saying someone's opinion is wrong.

In ASUChris's defense, an opinion can be wrong. Look at the "opinions" held by extremists throughout the world. They are just opinions, but they are ill informed and have very bad results.

The opinion that Eric Gordon is not worth the max is not as blatently mistaken. But to say that a guy with bad knees whose PER or Win Share don't put him in the top 50 is a at the very least a very questionable opinion. That is a huge percentage of the salary cap to give up for 17 points and 3 turnovers per game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ok, and you are right like usual. I'm disappointed that the Suns didn't hire you as GM since you seem to know everything.

Sarcasm aside, when compared to your "analysis", I'm pretty confident I'm doing well. (setting the bar very low, I realize)

And you said "recent moves"....Blanks hasn't made any recent moves here, McDonough has.

Again, I'll explain this one more time...we were talking about Blanks and Babby. If you want to continue to take it out of context, that's your prerogative , but it just continues to make you look silly.

Opinions can't be right or wrong. That's why it's an opinion.

Seriously, I wonder if someone hacked your account and is just trolling. The world is filled with millions of idiotic opinions, and yes, they can be wrong. This has to be trolling.

You can of course, disagree with my opinion like Phrazbit has done above and that again is much different than saying someone's opinion is wrong.

No, he's pretty much saying you're wrong.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In ASUChris's defense, an opinion can be wrong. Look at the "opinions" held by extremists throughout the world. They are just opinions, but they are ill informed and have very bad results.

The opinion that Eric Gordon is not worth the max is not as blatently mistaken. But to say that a guy with bad knees whose PER or Win Share don't put him in the top 50 is a at the very least a very questionable opinion. That is a huge percentage of the salary cap to give up for 17 points and 3 turnovers per game.

Ha, "Eric Gordon is still worth a max contract" isn't "the holocaust never happened", but is still pretty ridiculous.

Based on talent alone, he's not worth it. Throw in the injury issues, and our current roster makeup, and it makes even less sense.

The best justification 88 has come up with is "well, other teams make dumb signings". Strong logic, as usual.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That's called disagreeing with my opinion though. If I'm a guy who thinks that defense is the only thing that matters in the NBA and I say that Steve Nash is a bad player, that's probably something that everyone will disagree with and yet that's still my opinion.

Its like me saying that my favorite color is blue and someone saying that's wrong.

Its my opinion. Its my take on something, which could different from yours and hence we discuss it. Still doesn't make mine or your opinion wrong.
Ha, "Eric Gordon is still worth a max contract" isn't "the holocaust never happened", but is still pretty ridiculous.

Based on talent alone, he's not worth it. Throw in the injury issues, and our current roster makeup, and it makes even less sense.

The best justification 88 has come up with is "well, other teams make dumb signings". Strong logic, as usual.
I'm sorry, not everyone can be as bright as you bud. Again, I would like to express my disappointment that you are not working for the Suns or another NBA team's FO.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Its like me saying that my favorite color is blue and someone saying that's wrong.

I thought you were trolling, but apparently not.

I'll make this simple - there is a difference between something called an opinion, and something called a preference. I can't tell you that you're wrong because you PREFER blue as a color, just like I can't tell you what type of food you should/shouldn't like, among many other personal PREFERENCES.

I can tell you that the OPINION that Eric Gordon is worth a max deal is wrong, because the overwhelming evidence of what makes a player worth a max deal isn't in his favor. In this case, your OPINION is wrong.

Please tell me you can differentiate between preferences and opinions, and that you can grasp that opinions can be right or wrong.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'll make this simple - there is a difference between something called an opinion, and something called a preference. I can't tell you that you're wrong because you PREFER blue as a color, just like I can't tell you what type of food you should/shouldn't like, among many other personal PREFERENCES.

I can tell you that the OPINION that Eric Gordon is worth a max deal is wrong, because the overwhelming evidence of what makes a player worth a max deal isn't in his favor. In this case, your OPINION is wrong.

Please tell me you can differentiate between preferences and opinions, and that you can grasp that opinions can be right or wrong.
Ok, I'm not going to get into this any further. Let's go back to discussing the topic at hand, which isn't Gordon, the definition of opinions/preferences, its Gortat.

As for the Gordon situation, let's agree to disagre.

And with Len possibly missing a few games in the beginning of the season due to his surgery today, it looks like that may be why McDonough said that he's not looking to trade Gortat. The Suns can't go into the season without a C.

Even though Len should be ready by training camp, there is a chance that he suffers a set back and won't be game ready come October.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Even though Len should be ready by training camp, there is a chance that he suffers a set back and won't be game ready come October.

Not good, for a guy who needs a ton of work. Certainly a bummer that he won't be able to go through summer league/training camp.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not good, for a guy who needs a ton of work. Certainly a bummer that he won't be able to go through summer league/training camp.
Yup sure would have liked to see him in summer league especially.

Funny though, 3 of the 4 top big men chosen in the draft won't be playing in SL due to injury...Bennett, Len and Noel.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
That's called disagreeing with my opinion though. If I'm a guy who thinks that defense is the only thing that matters in the NBA and I say that Steve Nash is a bad player, that's probably something that everyone will disagree with and yet that's still my opinion.

Its my opinion. Its my take on something, which could different from yours and hence we discuss it. Still doesn't make mine or your opinion wrong.

Saying that your assertion is an opinion does not make it unassailable. You "opined" that Eric Gordon is worth a max contract. That is very different than saying your favorite color is blue. That is saying that a mediocre player with poor knees is worth 1/3 of the salary cap. I think almost anyone who pays attention to the NBA would disagree with that assertion.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yeah, well, you know that's just, like, your opinion, man.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have a suggestion that several of you should take advantage of.

User CP
Edit Ignore List
Add a Member
sunsfan88
Okay

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow so because I like Eric Gordon, and have a different opinion than you, I deserve to be on the ignore list?

And elindholm, I have never had a problem with you. I actually like reading your posts and have agreed with a lot of what you have to say.

Never knew you had a problem with me. Huh.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow so because I like Eric Gordon, and have a different opinion than you, I deserve to be on the ignore list?

And elindholm, I have never had a problem with you. I actually like reading your posts and have agreed with a lot of what you have to say.

Never knew you had a problem with me. Huh.

I think he's making a suggestion that will end this off the rails discussion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never been a proponent of an ignore list. I like to keep my friends close and my disputants closer. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never been a proponent of an ignore list. I like to keep my friends close and my disputants closer. :)

Agreed. If you don't want to read them, DON"T READ THEM. Ignore is a wasted effort IMO because someone you do read will inevitably quote them anyway. Besides, I've never really ran into a regular poster that didn't have something of value to offer. Each to their own.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have never been a proponent of an ignore list. I like to keep my friends close and my disputants closer.

Oh, I don't use the Ignore list for people I disagree with. I use it for people whose posts are a waste of time to read. To me it's a "discussion" board, not a "random thought that just popped into my head and that I haven't really thought about" board. My use of the Ignore list is an attempt to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got this terrible condition where I have to know the content of every post. I've put a few on ignore throughout the years but I can't help myself from peeking at what was written. It added an extra step. So, I gave up and quit using the feature.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got this terrible condition where I have to know the content of every post. I've put a few on ignore throughout the years but I can't help myself from peeking at what was written. It added an extra step. So, I gave up and quit using the feature.

You should probably see a mental health professional. When you find out what this condition is called and how to deal with it, send me the treatment plan. I'm quite sure I suffer from the same ailment.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You should probably see a mental health professional. When you find out what this condition is called and how to deal with it, send me the treatment plan. I'm quite sure I suffer from the same ailment.

Steve
I believe the medical term is . . . . . . . . . . curiosity! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake