Who Here Remembers Dumas?

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone calls me a troll, wearin' their Suns' pride on their sleeve. Well, if you are a Suns' fan you should remember even obscure details. This probably won't be too hard. Who remembers Dumas here?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dumas put down a Sick Dunk on Ewing. Dumas had plenty potential, but had a bad drug problem. Sucks to be Dumas. Should be Richard *******

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Shawty said:
Everyone calls me a troll, wearin' their Suns' pride on their sleeve. Well, if you are a Suns' fan you should remember even obscure details. This probably won't be too hard. Who remembers Dumas here?

Is this a test? What a ridiculous post. Am I not a troo Suns fan because I never watched Hawkins play? Am I not a Suns fan because I didn't witness Van Arsdale being drafted? How far back do you have to go to be a troo Suns fan in your book? I remember KJ-Negele-Horny-Majerle-Chambers-Perry-Lang-West. That's the earliest team I remember. Is that good enough for you?

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Dumas put down a Sick Dunk on Ewing. Dumas had plenty potential, bad a bad drug problem. Sucks to be Dumas. Should be Richard *******

One of the worst cases of wasted talent. The guy was a great talent. Lots of potential. Lots of athleticism.

OP
OP
S

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Is this a test? What a ridiculous post. Am I not a troo Suns fan because I never watched Hawkins play? Am I not a Suns fan because I didn't witness Van Arsdale being drafted? How far back do you have to go to be a troo Suns fan in your book? I remember KJ-Negele-Horny-Majerle-Chambers-Perry-Lang-West. That's the earliest team I remember. Is that good enough for you?

I didn't say that. Please don't feel you have to live up to my standards. Furthermore, you're not a false fan. Probably just young. I was bein' sarcastic.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Richard Dumas was flat out awesome. If he had stayed clean, he would have had a long, borederline all-star career. Actually, Marion reminds me a lot of Dumas.

Last I heard he was playing in some terrible tier-3 American league.

:bhiich:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Richard Dumas was flat out awesome. If he had stayed clean, he would have had a long, borederline all-star career. Actually, Marion reminds me a lot of Dumas.

Last I heard he was playing in some terrible tier-3 American league.

:bhiich:

Before anyone jumps on me, I was kidding about the "bring him in" part. :)

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
And the Suns would have won the title in 93 if Celballos(sp?) would have played in the finals instead of breaking his foot in the 1st round of the playoffs, and then having Dumas start instead of him...Cedric absolutely gave Pippen fits during the regular season.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
And the Suns would have won the title in 93 if Celballos(sp?) would have played in the finals instead of breaking his foot in the 1st round of the playoffs, and then having Dumas start instead of him...Cedric absolutely gave Pippen fits during the regular season.

:thumbup:

Ceballos is one of my all time favorites.

Always in motion and so clever around the basket.

Dumas was filler. Surrounded with great talent he looked pretty good for a while. That is until he imploded.

damo

Registered
Reaction score
loved richard dumas. that year he was a rookie he was great. am i mistaken or was he an older age rookie because he had drug problems prior to making the nba? if my memory isn't completely trashed and thats right it's odd that colangelo signed him at all after prior drug issues on the suns. and what year was it that he tried to make a comeback? i was so eager to see him succeed and very disappointed when he didn't. wasted talent.

or did you mean tony dumas?

OP
OP
S

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Dumas was filler. Surrounded with great talent he looked pretty good for a while. That is until he imploded.

I think in time he would've been able to use the tools he had. He had a good lean frame from what I remember and was an outstandin' athlete. He just needed time and coachin'. Time was sumthin' he ruined.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
We played against his team in LA Fitness leagues. I think he was working there for awhile.

Little story...

We'd just finished one of our games, and out team goes into a little dive bar to grab some food and watch the Suns/Lakers on TV.

There sits Dumas with his "friend" sitting with him. Dumas is puffing on big fat cigars, downing pints of draft beer.

It was just pretty sad and ironic that Dumas should of been playing in that game instead of sitting in some dive bar getting hammered.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
He was my favorite Suns player back in the day. He could jump through the roof. Some of the best dunks I have seen at the time (besides Kemp & Jordan).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:

um, dumas was after that team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I watched Connie Hawkens play. Van Arsdale, too! I don't think I am THAT old. :shrug:

Still, I miss the point of this thread. :(

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
I was living in Sedona Arizona at the time, and I had the keys to a gym that I opened during the week at about 7pm. He had just been released or suspended by the Suns and I think he was staying at Paul Westphals house up around ColorCove area. He came into the gym and worked out for about an hour an half talked very little and left. He seemed very troubled at the time, but had a quiet peace about him. That was the last I saw him in any way, including media.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dumas and his McCoy coined Doom Boom were awesome...what a sad waste of talent he was...

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely painful memories of Dumas. I had such high hopes for him his rookie season. The guy was just electrifying (Besides his wicked dunks, anyone remember the fastbreak wrap around his back, no look pass to Majerle when we were playing the Magic?) I believe he was rumored to be able to grab quarters off the top of the back board too. The guy could fly. What a waste. :-(

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Well, if its any consolation, I first became a Suns fan during Thunder Dan's final season.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Yeah yeah well.... I was a fan when Armon Gilliam and Larry Nance were stars.. Neener neener..

Sorry, had to do it :lol: Just seemed fitting in amongst the arguements.

As for Dumas, as so many others have stated, he had so much talent and potential that sadly wound up being untapped because of drugs. Honestly, he was Vince Carter before Vince Carter. He had the potential to go for 30 every night, sometimes without trying. It's sad that he fell in to the wrong crowd, because I honestly believe a motivated Richard Dumas leads the Suns to at LEAST one crown.

Fortunately, he has turned his life around and really cleaned up his act before it was too late. Last I heard, he's working as the basketball director of a YMCA in Oklahoma City.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, once again we've all given the troll the attention he craves. He starts a thread on one of the Suns' most depressing memories just to rile us up, and we all fall for it.

Good job, Shawty, you have a gift.

Next he'll ask how many of us remember the drug scandal, offering some half-assed explanation about how we aren't real fans if we don't.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Well, once again we've all given the troll the attention he craves. He starts a thread on one of the Suns' most depressing memories just to rile us up, and we all fall for it.

I can't really call it a depressing memory. Dumas did have some good moments for the team when he wasn't running afoul with the law. I call it a disappointment more than a depression. To each their own however, and I'm not trying to cause any dissention by what I said, so apologies to anyone who took it as such.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05