Who Starts Week 1 at Wide Receiver?

Who are the Starting WRs Week 1?

• Troy Franklin (First-round pick)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roman Wilson, MI (Second-day pick)

• Ja'Lynn Polk, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Jaylan McMillan, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Glad to see you all in on Monti now. I prefer to call it Building for Long Term Success.

For Monti it all comes down to the Draft. A strong draft this year is key.

The thing with building for the draft is you're always three years away from being able to evaluate your current draft class.

That's the grift.

I don't know. For some reason, Trent Baalke seems to keep getting hired.
But I'm guessing most GM's, once fired, don't get a lot of 2nd chances like coaches do. I might be wrong but not many GM's come to mind who have been fired taking over another team.

I think a lot of GMs are captive to the organizations they came up in. Unless and until you have two Super Bowl-winning franchise builds on your resume, an owner is going to go with someone they know first. My worry with Keim was that his network was limited to Arizona, and the inbred nature of his front office eventually doomed him. Especially as people like Jason Licht escaped to greener pastures after getting their him.

Baalke spent time with the Jets and Washington before going to San Francisco. Then he spent time in the NFL office (savvy) before getting picked up by Jacksonville.

Right because TEs aren't receivers.

You don't have to have a higher end #3 WR when you have a TE who essentially gets those stats.

Is that true? What stats?

If we consider Christian Kirk a higher-end #3, he ended up 3rd on the Jags in targets (85). Evan Engram, TE, actually lead the team in targets. Engram (917) played almost as many snaps as Kirk (585) and Zay Jones (475) combined.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah it's a great idea to pay a guy $17 million to average 50 catches a year and few TDs.

Dumb.
Where are you getting this number from? I literally linked to his contract. He doesn't have a cap number above $10 million until 2026; when his contract voids in 2027 the Browns are only suck with $3.58 million in dead money.

That deal is a masterpiece.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting this number from? I literally linked to his contract. He doesn't have a cap number above $10 million until 2026; when his contract voids in 2027 the Browns are only suck with $3.58 million in dead money.

That deal is a masterpiece.
IF he was so good, he should have asked for more money. Another drop on his part. hEYOO!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is that true? What stats?

If we consider Christian Kirk a higher-end #3, he ended up 3rd on the Jags in targets (85). Evan Engram, TE, actually lead the team in targets. Engram (917) played almost as many snaps as Kirk (585) and Zay Jones (475) combined.
This is what happens when you have an offense with no true #1 WR and stroll out a bunch of #2s/#3s.

Kirk missed what, four games? Same with Zay Jones.

And Ridley had more snaps than Engram so your argument kinda...sucks?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is what happens when you have an offense with no true #1 WR and stroll out a bunch of #2s/#3s.

Kirk missed what, four games? Same with Zay Jones.

And Ridley had more snaps than Engram so your argument kinda...sucks?
I'm asking you where I should look to support your point. You don't have to be a jerk about it. I was making an honest effort.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm asking you where I should look to support your point. You don't have to be a jerk about it. I was making an honest effort.
The sheer volume that Engram produced supports my argument, though I'd argue he shouldnt get 114 catches with only a 8.4 average.

Jacksonville still needs a true #1.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The sheer volume that Engram produced supports my argument, though I'd argue he shouldnt get 114 catches with only a 8.4 average.

Jacksonville still needs a true #1.
I don't have an argument here, but you just said that Jacksonville was a bad example.

Your assertion is that a top-tier TE will eat up the stats of a mid-level #3 wideout. What team from last season would you use as an example? You pointed out a bunch of ways the Jags are a bad fit.

I assume you looked into your statistical case before posting it as fact.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have an argument here, but you just said that Jacksonville was a bad example.

Your assertion is that a top-tier TE will eat up the stats of a mid-level #3 wideout. What team from last season would you use as an example? You pointed out a bunch of ways the Jags are a bad fit.

Can someone tell me who KC #3 receiver is?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Because the #2 WR in this offense isn’t going to be the #2 pass catcher. I’ll keep trying to explain this if you want.
I know what you're saying. It just wasn't on topic. You're content with Dortch as #3 because we have a TE who can catch passes. I still don't want Dortch that high on our WR depth chart. That's about it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using the example of literally the best QB in the NFL is an outlier that has become as tiresome as people making comparisons to the Pats/Drafting the next Tom Brady in the fifth round.

It's not a serious response.
Of course it isn't, but who is the #3 receiver?

Who was the Lions' #3? 49ers?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Niners have a Pro Bowl TE, and 2 Pro Bowl Level. They also have the best pass catching RB in the league. That’s 4 ELITE pass catchers and Jennings is the FIFTH option as the 3rd WR, who made big time plays in the playoffs. Bringing that team into the conversation really doesn’t help any case made that the Cardinals don’t need a good #3 WR.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Niners have a Pro Bowl TE, and 2 Pro Bowl Level WR AND Jennings is their 3rd WR who’s ALSO good. They also have the best pass catching RB in the league. That’s 4 ELITE pass catchers and a solid 5th with Jennings. Bringing that team into the conversation really doesn’t help any case made that the Cardinals don’t need a good #3 WR.
K9 asked the question. I was responding.

Why are you so pretentious?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I get stopped up between #3 WR and slot receiver.

The Lion's share of targets in Detriot went to Amon-Ra St. Brown (164!!!), who plays largely from the slot, Sam Laporta (120!!!), and Jahmyr Gibbs. Josh Reynolds played 71% of the snaps over 13 starts and had just 64 targets.

San Francisco's target share was lead by Brandon Aiyuk (I'd trade our #24 pick for him and extend him) with 105, then Kittle (90), then Deebo (89), McCaffery (83), and Jauan Jennings (33--sad!).

Maybe the takeaway from this conversation is that it might not matter if Michael Wilson is good if he's only gonna get 90 targets anyway. It seems like we're leaving a lot on the table not passing to running backs more often.

EDIT:

KC's top three Pass Cathers by target share are Travis Kelce (121), Rashee Rice (102), Justin Watson (53, WR -- I have literally no idea who this is), Isiah Pacheco (RB, 49), and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

By snaps it's Kelce (775), Rice (622), MVS (618), Pacheco (568), Watson (536).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get stopped up between #3 WR and slot receiver.

The Lion's share of targets in Detriot went to Amon-Ra St. Brown (164!!!), who plays largely from the slot, Sam Laporta (120!!!), and Jahmyr Gibbs. Josh Reynolds played 71% of the snaps over 13 starts and had just 64 targets.

San Francisco's target share was lead by Brandon Aiyuk (I'd trade our #24 pick for him and extend him) with 105, then Kittle (90), then Deebo (89), McCaffery (83), and Jauan Jennings (33--sad!).

Maybe the takeaway from this conversation is that it might not matter if Michael Wilson is good if he's only gonna get 90 targets anyway. It seems like we're leaving a lot on the table not passing to running backs more often.
Thanks for sharing.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

This was the question!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who did we have in front of Kirk at the time? A HoFer. Also, I wasn't worried about Kirk being made out of glass. Wilson might be past his injury problems, and might develop into a nice #2. I like the kid and think he can get there. With a completely depleted WR room and with some doubts, do I want to bet on that for this upcoming season? When our #1 is going to be a rookie? No, I would not. I would like a vet #2 thank you.

Larry was a corpse by then and had less than 700 yards from the slot when you made that comment. Also, who is at #1 makes no difference to someone's ability to be a #2.

Kirk had missed 6 games out of 29 too, so was hardly Mr Reliable.