Who will the Suns draft at #13?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what the Suns are thinking?

Probably that they'll either draft a perimeter player or an interior player.

I could get on board with picking Fab Melo, preferably not at 13 though.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns have closed workouts to the media so not much is coming out about potential draftees. Some of them the Suns might draft if they get another first or second round pick. Some others appear to be the FA type.

Anyway from Paul Coro's article at azcentral dated 6-12-12, here are some of the players that are in the Suns first workout group. See link below.

Fab Melo, (Syracuse) 7' center
Andrew Nicholson, (St. Bonaventure) 6'10" power forward
Alex Young (Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis) 6-6 shooting guard
Zack Rosen (Penn) 6-1 PG,
Chris Johnson (Dayton) 6-6 shooting guard
Ashton Gibbs (Pittsburgh) 6-3 point guard

Any thoughts on what the Suns are thinking?

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...-men-get-look-phoenix-suns-draft-workout.html

None of those guys will be picked at #13.

I think Phoenix is trying to acquire another late 1st rd pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
http://www.nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

13. Austin Rivers 6'5 SG (DX #15)
19. Kendall Marshall 6'4 PG (DX #11)
21. Perry Jones III 6'11 SF/PF (DX #17)
24. Royce White 6'8 PF/SF (DX#23)
26. Fab Melo 7' C (DX#21)
30. Quincy Miller 6'10 SF (DX#22)
32. Tony Wroten 6'6 PG/SG (DX#30)
36. Evan Fournier 6'6 SG (DX#28)
42. Darius Miller 6'7 SF (DX#35)
49. Tyshawn Taylor 6'3 PG (DX#31)
50. Thomas Satoransky 6'8 PG (DX#49)
60. Scott Machado 6'2 PG (DX#51)

those are some good value picks

Wroten at 32 is a Gilbert Arenas like steal. He has all the physical tools, was the #1 rated player in his class before injury. Attitude should improve in pros and then he is missing a jumpshot. If he can develop that..
Not sure why Wroten should fall so low. If he does not develop a jumper he is Tyreke Evans basically. He does not even need to be a PG. He is 6'6.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably that they'll either draft a perimeter player or an interior player.

:D

I could get on board with picking Fab Melo, preferably not at 13 though.

It appears the Suns do not want to pay big money on Robin Lopez and may be exploring options if they can get another first round pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of those guys will be picked at #13.

I think Phoenix is trying to acquire another late 1st rd pick.

I'm thinking the same thing if the Suns are interested in Fab Melo or Andrew Nicholson.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

13. Austin Rivers 6'5 SG (DX #15)
19. Kendall Marshall 6'4 PG (DX #11)
26. Fab Melo 7' C (DX#21)
42. Darius Miller 6'7 SF (DX#35)
49. Tyshawn Taylor 6'3 PG (DX#31)
50. Thomas Satoransky 6'8 PG (DX#49)
60. Scott Machado 6'2 PG (DX#51)

those are some good value picks

Wroten at 32 is a Gilbert Arenas like steal. He has all the physical tools, was the #1 rated player in his class before injury. Attitude should improve in pros and then he is missing a jumpshot. If he can develop that..
Not sure why Wroten should fall so low. If he does not develop a jumper he is Tyreke Evans basically. He does not even need to be a PG. He is 6'6.

As you say, Wroten would be a steal this late.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Kyle Fogg Arizona, Terry Stoglin Maryland, and Xavier Gibson Florida State; worked out yesterday.

Gibson is a nice athlete and decent size. Kendall Marshall is supposed to work out today.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you say, Wroten would be a steal this late.

I'm really torn on Wroten he just is one of those kids that currently doesn't play like he cares if he wins or loses, he's all about stats and making the highlight plays. He can't shoot, he's a terrific passer but like Marbury he overdribbles to the point that his assist numbers are misleading, if you pound the ball only you can get an assist because the ball stops with you.

On D he goes for steals and blocks and does nothing else, he got absolutely torched by mediocre Pac 12 guards all year. Even UW fans started to notice that his plus/minus numbers weren't all that good and that he often took over at the expense of the rest of the offense.

But, he's got excellent size, he's quick, athletic, gets to the rim at will(walks as much as any player I've ever seen though), has great length. If someone can get him to understand how to play to win, he could be a great player. He could be a taller Rondo.

I've watched Wroten for years he's always been a me first kid, from subtle things like always wearing different shoes than his HS or AAU team wore, to how he complained through his entire recruitment about who wasn't recruiting him(Kentucky).

I think he's a boom or bust kind of player and my guess is bust is more likely.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He is also one of the youngest players in the draft.

And I wouldn't put too much into the "he plays like he doesnt care about team success" attitude. He is not playing at pro level and he is very young he can learn that.

At #32 he is a major steal. He has all the skills of Tyreke Evans and the same flaws apparently (attitude and jumpshot ).
But he is much quicker than Evans and better raw PG skills which still need major work though but at 6'6 he can play SG and for that his ballhandling and passing is very good already.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I wouldn't put too much into the "he plays like he doesnt care about team success" attitude. He is not playing at pro level and he is very young he can learn that.

At #32 he is a major steal. He has all the skills of Tyreke Evans and the same flaws apparently (attitude and jumpshot ).
But he is much quicker than Evans and better raw PG skills which still need major work though but at 6'6 he can play SG and for that his ballhandling and passing is very good already.

I'm not sure you can learn that though. I think that win at all costs mentality is what separates great players from everyone else and if it was coachable, there'd be a lot more great players.

Evans is a physically powerful guard, Wroten isn't, he's much more slender and wiry. He has an amazing first step, probably because it's usually 2 or 3 steps not just 1, and he gets to the rim like Evans but I don't think he's got that same power that Evans has.

I think he almost has to be a PG because he's such a bad shooter playing him at the 2 hamstrings a team, he's only effective with the ball in his hands like a 1. He can't guard 1's, he might be able to in time he's athletic, but right now his defense is terrible, he just reaches for steals and plays the passing lanes. He's very young and very immature so maybe he figures it out.

he just strikes me as a kid who's going to be content with the NBA money and might not really care about the rest. There was a lot of talk that Romar wanted him to go pro, there was even talk that Ross was considering coming back to UW but only if Wroten left, but he of course ultimately left too. I think at his age it's going to be tough in the NBA with grown men, they won't necessarily care that he's 19 if he's hogging the ball and freelancing on D.

But I do agree IF he figures out how to play he has a chance to be really good, just not convinced he has the right mentality to do so. He's one of those guys who looks for the easy way out of things IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've watched the college and NBA games for a long time and I'm really having a hard time coming up with examples that fit your scenario. Just who would you nominate for the "cares only about his own stats but becomes a team player once he makes the NBA" squad? I can't imagine the list is very long. Typically, a me first player (or a me only player such as Wroten) at the college level rarely changes such a basic aspect of his playing personality.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant is on top of the list.

Kobe Bryant has always been a me first player, still is. However, he's been very effective despite the fact he is not the ideal team player. Wroten is nowhere near the player Bryant was at the same age and his on court persona almost makes Kobe look selfless. Look, there are a lot of good players that are selfish, if you think Wroten is just run-of-the-mill selfish then I can see your point. But I don't think he's Kobe selfish or Westbrook selfish, I think his attitude is a lot more dangerous.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI I can't read the whole thing but Chad Ford is saying Wroten is in danger of slipping out of the first round. Apparently based on workouts NBA people think he has to play the 1 and after #23, there's no teams left in the first round who probably will take a 1. So if he's not gone by 23, he may slide into the 2nd round.

Apparently has shot poorly in workouts(no surprise) and not impressed in interviews.

Even I don't think he's a 2nd rounder so I'd be surprised if that came to pass.

Apparently Dion Waiters is flying up the boards, could go as high as 6th now.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Thanks to Russ Smith, Elindholm, and AzSteven for their counters to my suggestion. I definitely should have said 'contest the shot' every time instead of 'making a play on the ball' some of the time - as that can be interpreted as swiping at the ball in every situation.

I agree that defense is best played by moving ones feet and denying position, especially by the primary defender, but the situation under discussion rarely involves the primary defender. Typically, the primary defender has already been eluded and another player is attempting to help at the last second. But if the primary defender has been back pedaling and then stops, the same rule would apply.

Of course, I am talking about the defender moving his feet to get in front of the player and the question is whether or not he was in position in time. Now swiping at the ball is often not good defense but not one of you said that contesting shots is not good defense. Yes, just being in front of shooter is sometimes enough to make him miss but I contend that contesting the shot is better defense.

The only time contesting a shot or not plays a role is when there is a question about the defender committing a blocking foul - it he contests the shot then he did not commit a blocking foul though he may well have committed a different type of foul. If he doesn't contest the shot and there was a collision then he can be called for a block - giving the refs the leeway to not call the foul if the defender was pushed by an opponent or wasn't even aware of the offensive player's approach.

Wow, one thing I forgot to mention that this would make it much harder for the defender to flop in these situations! Another point in its favor!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Russ Smith, Elindholm, and AzSteven for their counters to my suggestion. I definitely should have said 'contest the shot' every time instead of 'making a play on the ball' some of the time - as that can be interpreted as swiping at the ball in every situation.

I agree that defense is best played by moving ones feet and denying position, especially by the primary defender, but the situation under discussion rarely involves the primary defender. Typically, the primary defender has already been eluded and another player is attempting to help at the last second. But if the primary defender has been back pedaling and then stops, the same rule would apply.

Of course, I am talking about the defender moving his feet to get in front of the player and the question is whether or not he was in position in time. Now swiping at the ball is often not good defense but not one of you said that contesting shots is not good defense. Yes, just being in front of shooter is sometimes enough to make him miss but I contend that contesting the shot is better defense.

The only time contesting a shot or not plays a role is when there is a question about the defender committing a blocking foul - it he contests the shot then he did not commit a blocking foul though he may well have committed a different type of foul. If he doesn't contest the shot and there was a collision then he can be called for a block - giving the refs the leeway to not call the foul if the defender was pushed by an opponent or wasn't even aware of the offensive player's approach.

Wow, one thing I forgot to mention that this would make it much harder for the defender to flop in these situations! Another point in its favor!

yeah, I meant to amend my original suggestion the other night and didn't realize I had lost my post when I restarted my computer. I wanted to clarify that I was really talking about the weak side/off the ball defender who comes over to jump in front of the ball handler. In those cases the rule is that the defender is supposed to be set in that position long enough for the offensive player to be able to stop or go around the defender to avoid contact. I still maintain that just isn't good defense and furthermore it never happens. I have yet to see a charge on a weak side defender where they actually got to the spot early enough for you could reasonably expect the offensive player to avoid contact. There was one that was pretty close last night where Kevin Durrant drove baseline on James and Shane Battier drew the charge, but when you go back and look it doesn't cut the mustard. Battier landed on his feet outside the circle right as KD was going up into the shot.

I just don't think there are enough legitimate charges drawn each season even bother with it. However if they just call it correctly defenders will stop trying because they will correctly get called for the block 90% + of the time. Either way I'm fine with it.

Joe

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is list of candidates that worked out for the Suns this week as listed by Paul Coro in an article dated 6-15-12 at azcentral. Kendall Marshall, PG, is the only legitimate candidate to be drafted at #13.

PG Zack Rosen is an intriguing prospect that may go undrafted.

See link below.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/164396

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Draftexpress:

Perry Jones III, Terrence Jones, Arnett Moultrie, and John Henson to workout tomorrow (Suns).

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score

I'd like to get any of those in addition to #13. We're not going to be good anytime soon so we have time to let guys develop. Usually we pick a semi-bust that's gone after 1-2 years though. Hopefully we'll get lucky this year.

Hope Coach will give the rook(s) playing time off the bench this year. Keef should definitely be in the rotation. I hope we can add a wing player or another inside player to that, and off course either a free agent or a NBA ready pick at #13 in the starting lineup/early rotation. There's room at any spots from 2-4.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am good with pj3 or White. We can see if they can develop to play the sf. I think White is more intriguing than pj3. Not many players with motor problems succeed in the NBA. White's head problems are off the court and are not judgment issues.

I would love to pick up Royce White.

White is one of those unique players that others will be compared to. He can guard 3 or 4 positions. He might be one of the best passers in this draft, period. He is strong and intimidating and though a freshman was the clear leader on his team. He led the team in 5 statistical categories. If we lose Nash, we might consider going a completely different way, draft White and use him as a point forward. Put scorers at the guard spots.

He has a presence on the court that reminds me of James Harden. Its a no-nonesense, strength and confidence. White has superstar potential.

In my opinion, White will be the player everyone will have wished they had taken in this draft (outside the top few picks). We need to get a mid to late first round pick and get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzVBDoneZI

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am good with pj3 or White. We can see if they can develop to play the sf. I think White is more intriguing than pj3. Not many players with motor problems succeed in the NBA. White's head problems are off the court and are not judgment issues.

I would love to pick up Royce White.

White is one of those unique players that others will be compared to. He can guard 3 or 4 positions. He might be one of the best passers in this draft, period. He is strong and intimidating and though a freshman was the clear leader on his team. He led the team in 5 statistical categories. If we lose Nash, we might consider going a completely different way, draft White and use him as a point forward. Put scorers at the guard spots.

He has a presence on the court that reminds me of James Harden. Its a no-nonesense, strength and confidence. White has superstar potential.

In my opinion, White will be the player everyone will have wished they had taken in this draft (outside the top few picks). We need to get a mid to late first round pick and get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzVBDoneZI

I keep seeing PJ III projected down around our spot and even lower and all I can say is I'll be very disappointed if we pass on him at our spot. He was inconsistent his sophomore year but his ceiling is so high I think it would be insane to pick someone over him at 13. This is a guy that has top of the lottery ability and was forced to play out of position in college. He had a lot of personal problems and handled himself pretty well through them.

He will never be a Garnett or a Duncan (players he's been compared to in the past) but you won't find a better number two player in this draft. Joe Johnson came out with the exact same knocks against him and they've pretty much been proven true but you can't pass on a chance to get a taller, more athletic version of a Joe Johnson meets Lamar Odom kind of talent. He's easily the second best prospect in this draft but his boom or bust ratio makes him too big of a risk to draft that early. I remain highly doubtful that he'll drop out of the top 10 but if he does he's the gamble we can't afford to not take.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep seeing PJ III projected down around our spot and even lower and all I can say is I'll be very disappointed if we pass on him at our spot. He was inconsistent his sophomore year but his ceiling is so high I think it would be insane to pick someone over him at 13. This is a guy that has top of the lottery ability and was forced to play out of position in college. He had a lot of personal problems and handled himself pretty well through them.

He will never be a Garnett or a Duncan (players he's been compared to in the past) but you won't find a better number two player in this draft. Joe Johnson came out with the exact same knocks against him and they've pretty much been proven true but you can't pass on a chance to get a taller, more athletic version of a Joe Johnson meets Lamar Odom kind of talent. He's easily the second best prospect in this draft but his boom or bust ratio makes him too big of a risk to draft that early. I remain highly doubtful that he'll drop out of the top 10 but if he does he's the gamble we can't afford to not take.

Steve

I think PJ3 and Henson are both going to be available when we pick. Lots of intriguing players in this draft. Can't take all of them.

The Suns cannot afford to be wrong.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Perry Jones III reminds me a lot of Anthony Randolph which is not a good thing. Anthony Randolph was suppose to be this talented player that needed time to develop and after 4 years he is still a bust. Perry Jones motor is a big question mark. Give me a talented guy with a motor over Perry Jones III, someone like a Jared Sullinger.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05