Who will the Suns draft at #13?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns new moneyball scouting staff has targeted Waiters and they will move up to get him if they have to.

Curious to see if they are right about him. The kid has a real confident "in charge" way about playing. He is quite intriguing. Still can see why he was coming off the bench if he is this good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns new moneyball scouting staff has targeted Waiters and they will move up to get him if they have to.

Curious to see if they are right about him. The kid has a real confident "in charge" way about playing. He is quite intriguing. Still can see why he was coming off the bench if he is this good.

I kept thinking about Dumars when I read about Waiters. I hope the Suns don't do anything dumb if they feel the need to move up. Lamb might be even better if he could slide to #13. As I said, the Rivers looks to be gone before the Suns draft. Moultrie is an intriguing player.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score

If you buy into Hollinger (I generally don't) he has Waiters as the 4th best prospect. I'll be honest, I don't understand how a guard that averaged 12 points, scored better than 20 only twice, and played the 6th man role is so high on everyone's draft board. Russel Westbrook is the exception, not the rule.

Here's Hollinger's top 15:

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
4. Dion Waiters
5. Andre Drummond
6. Quincy Miller
7. Jared Sullinger
8. Terrence Jones
9. John Henson
10. Royce White
11. Bradley Beal
12. Harrison Barnes
13. Tony Wroten
14. Kendall Marshall
15. Marquis Teague

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You'd rather pass on an incredibly gifted athlete to take a guy who basically got worse every game of his college career? I'd have my trainers take a look at Sullinger and if they believed they could get the cement out of his shoes, I'd grab him in a heartbeat otherwise, I'd pass. I just don't think we can afford to take a guy who's apparent ceiling is somewhere around slightly-above-average backup power forward. He won't be a bust but we need to gamble this year and probably for several more years after this one. I was on his bandwagon early but his limitations really became increasingly more obvious over the past 2 years.

Steve

I don't know where your getting Sullinger got worse every game of his college career, his stats were pretty much the same the last 2 years at 17 PPG & 10 RPG. I think you were referring to Perry Jones III with that comment as you never knew which PJIII would show up. You can be the most athletic athlete in the world but that won't make you a great basketball player. If Jared Sullinger's back is not an issue (I think it might be) then yes I would take him over a guy like Perry Jones III. Prior to the red flag on Sullinger's back he was projected to go in the Top 10, however PJIII's stock has been dropping to where he is projected to go in the mid teens to twenties.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know where your getting Sullinger got worse every game of his college career, his stats were pretty much the same the last 2 years at 17 PPG & 10 RPG. I think you were referring to Perry Jones III with that comment as you never knew which PJIII would show up. You can be the most athletic athlete in the world but that won't make you a great basketball player. If Jared Sullinger's back is not an issue (I think it might be) then yes I would take him over a guy like Perry Jones III. Prior to the red flag on Sullinger's back he was projected to go in the Top 10, however PJIII's stock has been dropping to where he is projected to go in the mid teens to twenties.

I'm thinking Sullinger is much like DeJuan Blair coming into the draft with concerns about medical issues. I think he will be a solid player for the team that drafts him but he is likely to slide. Too bad the Suns do not have multiple picks to take a gamble.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking Sullinger is much like DeJuan Blair coming into the draft with concerns about medical issues. I think he will be a solid player for the team that drafts him but he is likely to slide. Too bad the Suns do not have multiple picks to take a gamble.

Exactly and Blair has worked out great for SA and is a big piece of their future.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Really? The string center on the Spurs who barely played during the playoffs? 7 mins avg during the playoffs?

A players career is not defined by a couple of weeks.

Arguing with you is getting more and more annoying. Blair has been a terrific value pick for San Antonio and should have gone much earlier in the draft. That is fact.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A players career is not defined by a couple of weeks.

Arguing with you is getting more and more annoying. Blair has been a terrific value pick for San Antonio and should have gone much earlier in the draft. That is fact.

Only questions about Blairs' lack of anterior cruciate ligaments in his knees caused him to drop. Otherwise he would have probably gone earlier in the first round instead of the second round. He was quite a pickup with what I think was the Suns former second round pick.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I want us to take a flyer on Quincy Miller.

He used to be something very special until he tore his ACL.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I want us to take a flyer on Quincy Miller.

He used to be something very special until he tore his ACL.

Mario Bennett was very special before he tore what I believe was his ACL before being drafted by the Suns. He was something to see before the injury.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arnett Moultrie is my guess who the Suns will draft on Thursday. Increasingly it looks like Waiters and Rivers will be off the board when the Suns select. The Suns have worked out Moultrie twice. I think he was originally part of the Suns backup plan but he has improved his stock.

Marshall has some flaws in his game, lack of shooting and defense which will be hard to overcome on the next level.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arnett Moultrie is my guess who the Suns will draft on Thursday. Increasingly it looks like Waiters and Rivers will be off the board when the Suns select. The Suns have worked out Moultrie twice. I think he was originally part of the Suns backup plan but he has improved his stock.

Marshall has some flaws in his game, lack of shooting and defense which will be hard to overcome on the next level.

My hope is that the Suns are acquiring another pick to get Moultrie, using the first on one of the SGs.

I know. I dream big.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
My hope is that the Suns are acquiring another pick to get Moultrie, using the first on one of the SGs.

I know. I dream big.

I don't get the sudden intrigue of Moultrie from this board and the Sun's. If we do get an extra first round pick, I would rather gamble on talents like Perry Jones III, Jared Sullinger, and Royce White.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the sudden intrigue of Moultrie from this board and the Sun's. If we do get an extra first round pick, I would rather gamble on talents like Perry Jones III, Jared Sullinger, and Royce White.

I don't have a personal interest in Moultrie. I hardly know anything about him. I'm just reading that the Suns like him and I don't want them to use their 13th pick on him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not sure about Marshall shooting criticisms. He shot 47% from the field and 34% from the 3. That is good shooting but not great. The only issue with Marshall is that he did not shoot much, but was more of a distributor. Just because he didn't shoot much doesn't mean he can't shoot.

I believe he is going to be a very productive pro.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about Marshall shooting criticisms. He shot 47% from the field and 34% from the 3. That is good shooting but not great. The only issue with Marshall is that he did not shoot much, but was more of a distributor. Just because he didn't shoot much doesn't mean he can't shoot.

I believe he is going to be a very productive pro.

The thing is teams DARE him to shoot and he's still shooting those percentages. In the NBA teams will back off, the 3 is even further away so he will likely be a lower % shooter early on.

It's easier to shoot a decent % if nobody guards you. In college it didn't really matter he was such a great passer on a deep team, that it didn't harm their offense.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In the workout footage I have seen Marshall's shooting looks just fine.

Stiff hips, slow feet defensively and ability to get to the hoop are the biggest questions with him.

No doubt his shooting will come along. It is no way near as bad as Jason Kidd as a rookie I think..

Arnett Moultrie looks terrific in the footage I have seen. 6'11 235lbs long arms, mobile, athletic, can shoot with range. His help defense is awful and he is a bit immature but definitely a good prospect and should be a good big PF in the league.

Last edited:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
If you buy into Hollinger (I generally don't) he has Waiters as the 4th best prospect. I'll be honest, I don't understand how a guard that averaged 12 points, scored better than 20 only twice, and played the 6th man role is so high on everyone's draft board. Russel Westbrook is the exception, not the rule.

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
4. Dion Waiters
5. Andre Drummond
6. Quincy Miller
7. Jared Sullinger
8. Terrence Jones
9. John Henson
10. Royce White
11. Bradley Beal
12. Harrison Barnes
13. Tony Wroten
14. Kendall Marshall
15. Marquis Teague

Waiters was without a doubt Syracuse's best player. The issue was that he was a Sophomore who almost transferred after his freshman year because he and Boeheim were not getting along, because other than McNamara and Melo, Boeheim whips freshman around.

Combo that with senior Kris Joseph at the 3, 5th year Senior Scoop Jardine at PG, and Triche who had started for 3 seasons ahead of him.

So he had to come off the bench, but if you watched the team all season, you would know that Waiters was the closer over Jardine and Triche every time. Also he didnt average more than 12 pts, because that team had an NBA center, NBA sf, NBA sg, and really good college players 1-10. So much so that 2 McDonald;s All americans in Christmas and Carter-Williams barely played.

It was speculated that Syracuse had 2 top 25 teams in the country on their team between their bench and their starters.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
4. Dion Waiters
5. Andre Drummond
6. Quincy Miller
7. Jared Sullinger
8. Terrence Jones
9. John Henson
10. Royce White
11. Bradley Beal
12. Harrison Barnes
13. Tony Wroten
14. Kendall Marshall
15. Marquis Teague

Waiter's numbers are actually pretty good. He only averaged 24 minutes a game. His scoring average for last year were 12.6, assists - 2.6, rebounds - 2.3, steals 1.8, turnovers 1.3. If you take those numbers out to 48 minutes his averages:

Points - 25.2 Per Game
Assists - 5.2 Per Game
Rebounds - 4.6 Per Game
Steals - 3.6 Per Game
Turnovers - 2.6 Per Game

Not too shabby!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The more I see Moultrie, the more I like him. He's definitely intrigued me over the last week or so. We desperately need to make a trade to acquire picks if possible.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
4. Dion Waiters
5. Andre Drummond
6. Quincy Miller
7. Jared Sullinger
8. Terrence Jones
9. John Henson
10. Royce White
11. Bradley Beal
12. Harrison Barnes
13. Tony Wroten
14. Kendall Marshall
15. Marquis Teague

Waiter's numbers are actually quite good. He only averaged 24 minutes a game. His scoring average for last year were 12.6, assists - 2.6, rebounds - 2.3, steals 1.8, turnovers 1.3. If you take those numbers out to 48 minutes his averages:

Points - 25.2 Per Game
Assists - 5.2 Per Game
Rebounds - 4.6 Per Game
Steals - 3.6 Per Game
Turnovers - 2.6 Per Game

Not too shabby!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think they are looking at Moultrie for #13.

My question would be, how do you develop Moultrie and Morris.

Draft Moultrie and you probably need to trade Frye.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think they are looking at Moultrie for #13.

My question would be, how do you develop Moultrie and Morris.

Draft Moultrie and you probably need to trade Frye.

They probably realize that Morris is a career backup, and want to draft a starting PF.

Why would you need to trade Frye? He can also play backup center. It would probably mean not re-signing Lopez, but who gives a crap about him anyway?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05