Who will the Suns draft at #13?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think PJ3 and Henson are both going to be available when we pick. Lots of intriguing players in this draft. Can't take all of them.

The Suns cannot afford to be wrong.

I guess that's where we really differ. I think they have to take a chance on being wrong. Picking a safe player at 13 is going to marginally improve us but in the long run it's not likely to make much of a difference in our overall success. Taking Perry is a huge risk but the possible payoff is equally huge. I wouldn't bet money on Perry becoming a difference maker in the NBA but if every player in this draft reached their potential, I don't see a player other than Davis that would eclipse him.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perry Jones III reminds me a lot of Anthony Randolph which is not a good thing. Anthony Randolph was suppose to be this talented player that needed time to develop and after 4 years he is still a bust. Perry Jones motor is a big question mark. Give me a talented guy with a motor over Perry Jones III, someone like a Jared Sullinger.

You'd rather pass on an incredibly gifted athlete to take a guy who basically got worse every game of his college career? I'd have my trainers take a look at Sullinger and if they believed they could get the cement out of his shoes, I'd grab him in a heartbeat otherwise, I'd pass. I just don't think we can afford to take a guy who's apparent ceiling is somewhere around slightly-above-average backup power forward. He won't be a bust but we need to gamble this year and probably for several more years after this one. I was on his bandwagon early but his limitations really became increasingly more obvious over the past 2 years.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe nothing new, but there is more information in Paul Coro's new article at azcentral dated 6-16-12 on who worked out for the Suns.

The Suns close workouts and do not announce or comment on visiting prospects, but league sources revealed that on Saturday they hosted an impressive group of big men who are all first-round candidates. The workout featured North Carolina's John Henson and Tyler Zeller, Illinois' Meyers Leonard, Baylor's Perry Jones and Mississippi State's Arnett Moultrie, as well as Vanderbilt small forward Jeffery Taylor.

On Tuesday, the Suns worked out two big men who also are first-round candidates. In that workout, St. Bonaventure's Andrew Nicholson outshined Syracuse's Fab Melo, but neither is considered in the realm of Saturday's bunch, although Nicholson's stock is rising.

It seems the Suns have more than a passing interest in another big man. I can't help but think the Suns are looking at trades. I'm beginning to wonder if Gortat is untouchable.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...uns-looking-boost-offense-2012-nba-draft.html

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You'd rather pass on an incredibly gifted athlete to take a guy who basically got worse every game of his college career? I'd have my trainers take a look at Sullinger and if they believed they could get the cement out of his shoes, I'd grab him in a heartbeat otherwise, I'd pass. I just don't think we can afford to take a guy who's apparent ceiling is somewhere around slightly-above-average backup power forward. He won't be a bust but we need to gamble this year and probably for several more years after this one. I was on his bandwagon early but his limitations really became increasingly more obvious over the past 2 years.

Steve

When I look at pj3, I think of Earl Clark. Yes, he is extremely gifted, but how many gifted players have come out been busts because they just do not have the fire. Seriously. Who came out with the same motivation issues that pj3 has and went on to succeed. I can't think of any. I am willing to be convinced though. I am intrigued with his skill set.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PJ3 reminds me of Rudy Gay. But he needs the right coaching and players around him.

No doubt you have to take him if he's available at #13.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I look at pj3, I think of Earl Clark. Yes, he is extremely gifted, but how many gifted players have come out been busts because they just do not have the fire. Seriously. Who came out with the same motivation issues that pj3 has and went on to succeed. I can't think of any. I am willing to be convinced though. I am intrigued with his skill set.

Honestly, I don't see much comparison other than their length. Clark was a horrible pick and I'm still shocked that we did such a poor job preparing for that draft. Perry does give effort and he has a pretty good understanding of the game and IMO all this talk about his motor is someone reading someone else's writeup and passing it along. He hasn't always played his best but he's had good reason to lose focus (personal situation) and he's had to play out of position quite a bit. I didn't see any concerns about his effort during his freshman year.

To me, Perry is a high risk but extremely high reward talent and Clark was a sure-fire bust. Again, I'll make the Joe Johnson comparison (not in style of play - Perry is much more like a taller more athletic Odom in that regard). If you were following Joe at Arkansas you would have read the exact same kind of comments about him that currently circulate about Perry. Some players just aren't the carry-the-team kind of guys and when you have a gifted athlete that fits that description they often get labeled as under-performers.

Fortunately for all those Perry haters, I still consider it unlikely he'll drop anywhere near us. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go top 5 despite all the negative press he's been getting lately.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Steve, do you see PJIII as a PF or SF?

Scouts and analysts mostly want him to play PF because they say he doesn't have the skill set to play SF but he wants to play SF because he hates the physical aspect of being a PF.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns close workouts and do not announce or comment on visiting prospects, but league sources revealed that on Saturday they hosted an impressive group of big men who are all first-round candidates. The workout featured North Carolina's John Henson and Tyler Zeller, Illinois' Meyers Leonard, Baylor's Perry Jones and Mississippi State's Arnett Moultrie, as well as Vanderbilt small forward Jeffery Taylor.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ost-offense-2012-nba-draft.html#ixzz1y3dJON5R

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, do you see PJIII as a PF or SF?

Scouts and analysts mostly want him to play PF because they say he doesn't have the skill set to play SF but he wants to play SF because he hates the physical aspect of being a PF.

One of the reasons I'm concerned he'll bust is because he really doesn't fit a position yet. I think he prefers to play SF because even at the college level he's had trouble holding his position down low. He gets moved out of the way going for rebounds almost as easily as Channing Frye. The difference though is I think he has the frame to add to (something that Frye just wasn't able to do). He needs to strengthen his core and lower body so that the physical play doesn't take him out of the game as it has in college. I think this physical beating has a lot to do with his reputation for motor problems.

I don't mean to sound wishy-washy on him but I wouldn't take him unless he says the right things. If he's not willing to get into the weight room and work towards being a power forward, I'd probably pass on him. As a SF, I think he has maybe a 10% chance of becoming an impact player but if he's willing to work inside, his chances go up considerably. I remember feeling the same way about Lamarcus Aldridge (soft, inconsistent) but he turned it around after his freshman year and started doing the things that Perry has yet to do. But Aldridge didn't have the personal problems that Perry had to deal with and Perry is a year younger at the same stage of their respective careers.

Steve

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This went unnoticed.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...r_the_blazers_jamal_crawford_on_deadline.html

Win-win for the Blazers, Jamal Crawford on deadline extension

Published: Saturday, June 16, 2012, 6:54 PM

It was a win-win situation for the Trail Blazers and veteran guard Jamal Crawford on Friday when the sides agreed to extend his deadline to opt in to his 2012-13 contract from June 15 to June 29.

The move allows the Blazers to use Crawford in a potential trade on draft night, which in turn, would award Crawford his Bird Rights, which will help him in his next contract.

Immediately after this season, Crawford indicated he would opt out of the contract, which would have paid him around $5 million next season, making him a free agent this summer. If the Blazers trade him on draft night, Crawford would first need to sign paperwork indicating he was opting in to his contract. If they do not trade him, Crawford will opt out of the contract the next day, and become a free agent.

--Jason Quick

I wonder if this is part of a draft day trade with the Suns. As the season wore on, it was clear that the Blazer and Crawford wanted to part ways. The Blazers currently have the #6 and #11 picks. I think there's a strong possibility that the Blazers could be selecting for us at one of those spots which is of course contingent on our target still being there. Waiters would be my guess although it doesn't make sense to bring in Crawford and draft Waiters to split minutes. Hopefully, if we snag one of their picks, we manage to retain the #13, but I doubt we keep both.

Gortat or Dudley would have to be the main chips to send to Portland. I'm going to play around on trade machine to see what I can come up with.
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/i...r_the_blazers_jamal_crawford_on_deadline.html

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's not much to work with because the Blazers are loaded with free agents. The only thing I got is Dudley for #11 and Crawford or Gortat for #6 and Crawford. I'm not sure I would do either of those especially the latter. What will likely happen is the Suns will give up Dudley and #13 for Crawford and #11. Or, we'll desperately give up next year's unprotected 1st rounder.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Steve

Amen, we desperately need a potential star, not another ground bound role player. We have plenty of those.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
There's not much to work with because the Blazers are loaded with free agents. The only thing I got is Dudley for #11 and Crawford or Gortat for #6 and Crawford. I'm not sure I would do either of those especially the latter. What will likely happen is the Suns will give up Dudley and #13 for Crawford and #11. Or, we'll desperately give up next year's unprotected 1st rounder.

What are you smoking? We're trading JD for a guy we can sign outright in 2 weeks and to move up 2 spots? If Gortat goes for a pick Childress is going too. Also, Crawford said he wants to be here but with Nash not some half ass rebuilding effort. He'll be just as miserable as he was in Portland.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What are you smoking? We're trading JD for a guy we can sign outright in 2 weeks and to move up 2 spots? If Gortat goes for a pick Childress is going too. Also, Crawford said he wants to be here but with Nash not some half ass rebuilding effort. He'll be just as miserable as he was in Portland.

I'm just brainstorming. Don't you find it interesting that he delayed his opt out clause so the Blazers could shop him during the draft. Crawford still being under contract allows the Blazers to include him and a pick to receive a player in return. A pick by itself has no cap value. So including Crawford in a draft day deal will allow them to get a player back instead of just a pick. He also could be valuable to the team that acquires him as a $5 million expiring contract if he opts out which he will likely do if the acquiring team wants him to.

I really think there may be some negotiations going on between Portland and Phoenix. Toronto too.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can't see how Crawford could possibly be part of a rebuilding effort. If the Suns acquire Crawford, it means that they're giving the Nash core one more go, with Crawford as one of the "upgrades." That would be horrible news no matter how you slice it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't see how Crawford could possibly be part of a rebuilding effort. If the Suns acquire Crawford, it means that they're giving the Nash core one more go, with Crawford as one of the "upgrades." That would be horrible news no matter how you slice it.

You haven't been paying attention to Babby's "rebuild while staying competitive" rhetoric. Acquiring Crawford helps us stay competitive (if Nash is retained obviously). Receiving one of the Blazer's picks with him helps us rebuild. I'm not saying I'm a fan of bringing in Crawford; I'm just trying to figure out what the Suns could be up to.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You haven't been paying attention to Babby's "rebuild while staying competitive" rhetoric.

I wasn't saying that it wouldn't happen, just that it's a godawful idea. Keeping Nash isn't necessarily a mistake, depending on how it's handled, but adding Crawford is terrible in any possible scenario.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not sure why would we sign Crawford if there is a younger better similiar player on the market? Louis Williams?

Crawford would have to be really cheap.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldnt want crawford for free. A shooter who cant shoot and sucks at everything else...

No thank you.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt want crawford for free. A shooter who cant shoot and sucks at everything else...

No thank you.

league minimum as a possible sparkplug off the bench. He's one of these guys you throw in to see if he can get hot quickly and if not yank him. Basically I have no interest.

Joe

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hollingers guard rankings for the draft btw

1. Waiters
2. Wroten
3. Marshall

Waiters had the highest mark since Wade.

Wroten can be a star, his shooting is really bad but mechanically his shooting form looks good.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hollingers guard rankings for the draft btw

1. Waiters
2. Wroten
3. Marshall

Waiters had the highest mark since Wade.

Wroten can be a star, his shooting is really bad but mechanically his shooting form looks good.

Curious on the details. Do you have a link?

edit. Nevermind. I found the gist. He has Rivers and Lillard at #18-#19 and Royce White at #10. Thats about what I was thinking. Hmmm.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get how people compare Waiters and Wade....Waiters does not have 1/4 the athleticism that Wade had. Wade also has moves, unlike Waiters who just overpowers his opponents because he's stronger than them...and that will change soon at the NBA level.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Curious on the details. Do you have a link?

edit. Nevermind. I found the gist. He has Rivers and Lillard at #18-#19 and Royce White at #10. Thats about what I was thinking. Hmmm.

You cant compare smalls and bigs in his analysis. He admits himself that his statistical analysis overrates big man and that it only delievered good results for wing players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts on #13 as the draft nears. I have been going back and forth in my mind who the Suns should select at #13 and to no surprise there is no magical candidate.

What I think the Suns ideally want is a shot creator, athleticism and a safer pick. So I’m using this criteria based upon possible availability at #13 and what they can do.

Waiters, Rivers and Lamb are my top choices. I consider Marshal and Moultrie as backup candidates. I think Waiters has the whole package they want. He is somewhat of a combo guard in that he can likely play the 1-2 position and defend. Also he is athletic. Rivers seems like a young player that has star potential written all over him (hard to pass up). He is an athlete and can create his own shot. Lamb has tremendous upside and could be one of the better players to come out of the draft if he can bulk up. Probably the best shooting guard in the draft.

If Marshal were athletic and able to defend he would be the Suns choice by a mile. The true PG in the draft. If he could shoot he might draw a comparison to Steve Nash coming out of college.

Moultrie has the complete package for a big man and a PF/C should be able to post up well in the NBA. He is an athlete at 6’11” at 233 lbs. It’s hard to pass up a big man that has a lot of upside. If motivation was not a question mark he would be my pick. Somehow I think the Suns may regret it if they pass on him. I keep thinking of Larry Nance. I guess a lot depends upon how individual workouts go with the Suns and how he interviews.

For some reason I cannot get excited about Terrence Ross coming out of the Pac 12 so this must mean the Suns will probably draft him.

I think Waiters, Rivers and Lamb are the Suns top three choices. However, there is a good chance they will be off the board at #13.

If that happens the Suns may draft Moultrie and that may be the best long term. Again he has all the tools for a big man. If Marshall could defend or shoot it might be different.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05