Who will the Suns draft at #13?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he has the creativity, aggressiveness, isolation skills to be a truly great NBA guard.

I see him best case as an old Jason Richardson who is a good athlete but rarely attacks the rim and is basically a catch and shoot player.
I don't think Terrence Ross is the player that many want him to be. He has intriguing prototype measurements but that is it. If he was so good why did nobody talk about him as a lottery pick 2 month ago after his sophomore season?

I'd take him if he could play like a young Jason Richardson. :D

There are usually players that rise or fall as the draft nears. I'm not on his band wagon as yet. Sometimes these players are on the scouts radar but not the public.

I do think the Suns are looking for someone who can create his own shot at #13 and a potential star. I'm not sure at the moment who might be there. I'm hoping Zeller goes before the Suns pick to push someone down.

Do you have an opinion about Henson?

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rumor has it Austin Rivers also has a promise, late in the lottery. I think Suns are more likely to be responsible for this than Waiters.
http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/10/austin-rivers-pre-draft-promise/

I agree with your thinking, however, I'm wondering if Waiters would go earlier than #13. Draft Express is now putting Waiters at #13 in their mock. It may be no more than a guess on their part but it is still a bit worrisome. I'm not confident in the Suns selection process in the draft until they prove otherwise.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone have interest in Fab Melo? Obviously not for the #13 pick, but I think I'd prefer snagging him late in the first round on a cheap rookie deal than re-signing Lopez on a deal that's likely to be much larger.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Precisely. Undersized shooters. Pass.

Our needs are as follows:

#1. Rebounding and interior toughness from the 4. Morris' and Frye's need not apply.

#2. PG that can actually play some defense. (Looking at you Brooks and Nash)

#3. Athlesticism from the 3. (Love ya Duds but you aren't a mismatch creator)

#4. Shooter that can get his shot off if covered.

This team is so poorly constructed it is embarrassing. How Gentry won as many games as he did is a mystery.

I'm with you on this one for sure. It's been too long (Mark West, Kurt Rambis) long, since we've had a real ball hawking banger physical tough presence. ONE and DONE. We need a Mean Round Mound of Rebound in there who still needs to have a body on him on the other end at all times as well. I'd like that to be the #4 man.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm with you on this one for sure. It's been too long (Mark West, Kurt Rambis) long, since we've had a real ball hawking banger physical tough presence. ONE and DONE. We need a Mean Round Mound of Rebound in there who still needs to have a body on him on the other end at all times as well. I'd like that to be the #4 man.

Kurt Thomas was far better than West and Rambis.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, West may have been many things, but an enforcer he wasn't. He was whistled for a foul every time a referee caught sight of his jersey, and in only one season did he average better than 7.5 rebounds per game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a sad history of bringing in guys to be enforcers and the turn out to be less than stellar once the put on the Suns uniform.

Truck Robinson, Armon Gilliam, Maurice Lucas, Xavier McDaniel, AC Green, Wayman Tisdale,

I could go on.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We have a sad history of bringing in guys to be enforcers...

Truck Robinson, Armon Gilliam, Maurice Lucas, Xavier McDaniel, AC Green, Wayman Tisdale

McDaniel and Tisdale should never have been considered enforcers; I don't know why anyone would have regarded them that way. Gilliam was a bust all the way, but the other three (Robinson, Lucas, Green) all did pretty well in the role, all things considered. But you left out the most infamous example, which is Rick Robey.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McDaniel and Tisdale should never have been considered enforcers; I don't know why anyone would have regarded them that way. Gilliam was a bust all the way, but the other three (Robinson, Lucas, Green) all did pretty well in the role, all things considered. But you left out the most infamous example, which is Rick Robey.

No, I think the most infamous example is Luc Longley. But Robey is right there.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, I think the most infamous example is Luc Longley. But Robey is right there.

I don't think Longley was supposed to be an enforcer either. I think the Suns went after him because they thought he was a skilled big.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a sad history of bringing in guys to be enforcers and the turn out to be less than stellar once the put on the Suns uniform.

Truck Robinson, Armon Gilliam, Maurice Lucas, Xavier McDaniel, AC Green, Wayman Tisdale,

I could go on.

man... what an idiot I was back in high school. i can still CLEARLY remember the exact time and place I heard we got the X-Man, just after we got back from road game and i was SURE he was the missing piece. I think he had 38 points in his first game as a Sun... then fell off the face of the earth.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember Awtry, but surely no one expected Klein to be an enforcer.

He was a journeyman center that had a fairly decent career. He played for us in the mid to late 70's and even started a year or two IIRC. He then backed up AA his first couple of years and is probably best remembered for being on the opposite end of the trade with Boston that brought us the aptly named Phoenix Suns legend, Johnny High.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was a journeyman center that had a fairly decent career. He played for us in the mid to late 70's and even started a year or two IIRC. He then backed up AA his first couple of years and is probably best remembered for being on the opposite end of the trade with Boston that brought us the aptly named Phoenix Suns legend, Johnny High.

Steve

He was a grunt player, with a blonde fro and a 3 inch vert. We used to joke about him in high school. Nothing he did ever showed up on a stat sheet.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Jake Tsuckolatis knocked out opposing players with his body odor.

Remember when Joe Klein beat the hell out of Karl Malone's elbow with his nose?

Joe

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a grunt player, with a blonde fro and a 3 inch vert. We used to joke about him in high school. Nothing he did ever showed up on a stat sheet.

Yeah, he was pretty limited. I really thought he averaged a double-double for us one year but I just looked him up, his best year in the league was in the 74-75 season when he averaged 9.9 points and 8.6 rebounds. Still, he was far better than Longley, Lopez, West, Kleine, Big & Little Jake and so many of the plodders that have manned the middle for us. If nothing else, he can lay claim to a 12 year career in the NBA.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

With the mention of High, you bring back memories of the tragic death of center Nick Vanos and guard Johnny High. Also the memories of the drug scandal that once enveloped the Suns. Plus a another Suns center, James Edwards. I thought these to centers should at least be mentioned when looking at this period.

Below is a link to a must read article for new Suns fans written by Craig Neff dated November 23, 1987 in Sports Illustrated which talks about the death of Nick Vanos, the dark time of the drug scandal and even touches upon the circumstances that involved the sale of the Suns to an ownership group formed formed by Colangelo. IMO, this sell likely kept the franchise in Phoenix.

This article should give Suns fans hope for the future, if the they can arise from those ashes, but then they had Jerry Colangelo to rebuild them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...73/1/index.htm

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
With the mention of High, you bring back memories of the tragic death of center Nick Vanos and guard Johnny High. Also the memories of the drug scandal that once enveloped the Suns. Plus a another Suns center, James Edwards. I thought these to centers should at least be mentioned when looking at this period.

Below is a link to a must read article for new Suns fans written by Craig Neff dated November 23, 1987 in Sports Illustrated which talks about the death of Nick Vanos, the dark time of the drug scandal and even touches upon the circumstances that involved the sale of the Suns to an ownership group formed formed by Colangelo. IMO, this sell likely kept the franchise in Phoenix.

This article should give Suns fans hope for the future, if the they can arise from those ashes, but then they had Jerry Colangelo to rebuild them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...73/1/index.htm

I don't think the Sarver Suns have hit rock bottom. Give him 2 or 3 more years then he'll be ready to sell to the next Colangelo.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Edwards was actually a pretty decent center. I remember thinking, "Finally, we have a reasonably effective big man" then they almost immediately sent him to Detroit.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
James Edwards was actually a pretty decent center. I remember thinking, "Finally, we have a reasonably effective big man" then they almost immediately sent him to Detroit.

He was a coke head.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thoughts on #13.

I like players who do one thing exceptionally well. Generalists rarely succeed in the NBA. YOu need players who excel at least in one area and are competent in others. Here are my thoughts.

1. Kendall Marshall. The best distributor and floor general to come out in years. I had dismissed him because everyone says he is such a bad shooter, but that is a huge exaggeration. The fact is that he is a completent shooter and shooting can easily improve in the NBA. He also is a competent defender. He has a very high bball IQ and the motivation to excel. His defensive fundamentals are sound and he will likely be a better defender than Nash. He will be the type of player that others want to come play with. I would not be disappointed at all if we took him, and I would take him over Lillard.

2. John Henson. This kid is a fantastic shot blocker and constantly blocks shots on his man in man defense. Shot blockers who come from the blind side are dime a dozen, but guys who regularly throttle the guy in front of them are rare. He is also an excellent rebounder. Both of these things translate quickly into the NBA. He has a decent go to move close to the hoop. People want him to be a center but he doesnt have the bulk for it. He plays excellent D, even on the perimeter. He will be able to defend the 3 and 4 positions at the NBA level as well as the less bulky centers and even a SG from time to time. I believe he will be on the all-defense team regularly in his NBA career. This kid is a can't miss impact player in my opinion. All he has to do to be an all-star is expand his offensive arsenal some--not alot.

3. Rivers. I am wary, but his ability to score seems genuine. He is an impact player on that level. But I was convinced of that with Jimmer last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on #13.

I like players who do one thing exceptionally well. Generalists rarely succeed in the NBA. YOu need players who excel at least in one area and are competent in others. Here are my thoughts.

I couldn't agree more.

1. Kendall Marshall. The best distributor and floor general to come out in years. I had dismissed him because everyone says he is such a bad shooter, but that is a huge exaggeration. The fact is that he is a completent shooter and shooting can easily improve in the NBA. He also is a competent defender. He has a very high bball IQ and the motivation to excel. His defensive fundamentals are sound and he will likely be a better defender than Nash. He will be the type of player that others want to come play with. I would not be disappointed at all if we took him, and I would take him over Lillard.

I wish a top PG would fall to the Suns. A worry with Marshall is his poor FT % which indicates he may never be a good shooter. Players at the 1 and 2 position especially need to make their FTs.

2. John Henson. This kid is a fantastic shot blocker and constantly blocks shots on his man in man defense. Shot blockers who come from the blind side are dime a dozen, but guys who regularly throttle the guy in front of them are rare. He is also an excellent rebounder. Both of these things translate quickly into the NBA. He has a decent go to move close to the hoop. People want him to be a center but he doesnt have the bulk for it. He plays excellent D, even on the perimeter. He will be able to defend the 3 and 4 positions at the NBA level as well as the less bulky centers and even a SG from time to time. I believe he will be on the all-defense team regularly in his NBA career. This kid is a can't miss impact player in my opinion. All he has to do to be an all-star is expand his offensive arsenal some--not alot.

I don't know much about Henson. From what I read he sounds a bit like Ibaka. It's hard to argue that.

3. Rivers. I am wary, but his ability to score seems genuine. He is an impact player on that level. But I was convinced of that with Jimmer last year.

It sounds like Rivers has star potential making him hard to pass up. I'm wondering if he will be there at #13. Never was sold on Jimmer as an athlete.