Who will the Suns draft at #13?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will play the idea your goal is to move to #3. You don't think Gortat, Dudley and #13.... or Gortat and two first round picks can get you there?

I'm not saying that Washington would bite but they would have to consider it. Better yet, the Suns might see what Gortat or Dudley might fetch on the open market.

Another pick or two in the draft is what the Suns need. Maybe even Lopez gets you a later first round pick. I would rather keep Gortat so maybe the Suns should be shopping for just another first round pick. I'm reading a lot about other teams willing to trade their picks such as Toronto and Golden State. Maybe the Suns can even buy another first round pick.

+1. I feel that this draft is deep and there will be some good players available in the late teens to the late 20's. If PHX could end up with 3 first rounders it would be a great start to the rebuilding process. I would be ecstatic if PHX ends up with PF Jared Sullinger, SF Terrence Jones & PG Marquis Teague.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobcats and the Wizards are not gonna trade their top 3 picks.....let's make that clear right now.

(unless someone is willing to take on both Lewis AND Blatche's contract from Washington then maybe)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
+1. I feel that this draft is deep and there will be some good players available in the late teens to the late 20's. If PHX could end up with 3 first rounders it would be a great start to the rebuilding process. I would be ecstatic if PHX ends up with PF Jared Sullinger, SF Terrence Jones & PG Marquis Teague.

Amen, which makes it even more ******** that we didn't give up Nash for a late first rounder. This is one of the few drafts where it really would have made sense.

At this point, if I were GM, nobody would be safe, and anyone would be available for trade. Unfortunately, I don't believe we have the FO to start from the ground up.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
unrealistic or not who cares, there are actually rumors out there for a few teams in the lottery willing to trade and the Suns should have some possibilities to acquire another high draft pick by shopping Gortat, Dudley, Morris or taking on a bad contract like Blatche since they have flexibility in the summer.

Terrence Ross looks good in the workout footage I have seen but Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is still the player I would love to have.

Would be happy with Rivers, Jones III, Ross, Wroten and others too. It is irritating to me however that Gambo and all still talk about the need to get the PG of the future all the time. Point Guards do not win championships and we still have Aaron Brooks who is capable at least.

I like Marshall but he is no athlete and no scorer and on a team that has no great scorer only a couple of good open shooters I wonder how effective Marshall can be in the NBA..

Between Marshall and Ross, I'd definitely take Ross if we have the choice.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeroing in on one position or even a couple positions of need would be beyond stupid for this Phoenix Suns team. They should go best player available, and if there are players they really feel have equal talent/potential go 5, 4, 1, 2/3. They just really need to accumulate good, young talent.

By the way, unless Miami wins the championship this year you may have to stop using that "point guards don't win championships", especially if it's San Antonio or Boston.

Joe Mama

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
If we stay where we are and only get #13 pick...I'd love Ross, White, Lamb, Miller, Wroten, Rivers in that order. If we can get another pick in the range of 8-20, I'd add in Jones III, Beal, Lillard, Harkless, Waiters and MAYBE Moultrieto the mix.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Zeroing in on one position or even a couple positions of need would be beyond stupid for this Phoenix Suns team. They should go best player available, and if there are players they really feel have equal talent/potential go 5, 4, 1, 2/3. They just really need to accumulate good, young talent.

By the way, unless Miami wins the championship this year you may have to stop using that "point guards don't win championships", especially if it's San Antonio or Boston.

Joe Mama

Even if they win Tony Parker and Rajon Rondo are not exactly franchise players who carry their teams like Michael Jordan did or Duncan did etc..

Rondo plays with Garnett, Pierce and Allen and Parker plays with a stacked roster and this is MAYBE the first year where he was not the third fiddle behind Duncan and Ginobili.

Even when the Pistons won with Isiah Thomas, he was not even their best player then and they had a stacked roster.

But lets say these guys did carry their teams assuming Boston or San Antonio wins that would still be the absolute exception in NBA history.

Having a great PG certainly is no requirement to compete as most championship teams did it with absolute role players at the position like Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd and whoever was the PG on the Bulls or good PGs but not really allstar caliber like Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Sam Cassell..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if they win Tony Parker and Rajon Rondo are not exactly franchise players who carry their teams like Michael Jordan did or Duncan did etc..

Rondo plays with Garnett, Pierce and Allen and Parker plays with a stacked roster and this is MAYBE the first year where he was not the third fiddle behind Duncan and Ginobili.

Even when the Pistons won with Isiah Thomas, he was not even their best player then and they had a stacked roster.

But lets say these guys did carry their teams assuming Boston or San Antonio wins that would still be the absolute exception in NBA history.

Having a great PG certainly is no requirement to compete as most championship teams did it with absolute role players at the position like Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd and whoever was the PG on the Bulls or good PGs but not really allstar caliber like Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Sam Cassell..

Nobody, not even the great Michael Jordan, wins it alone. Parker has a lot of talent around him but it's not like you couldn't say the same about Duncan and he's clearly one of the greatest of all time. Basketball TEAMS win championships. These teams oftentimes include a "once in a generation" kind of player but there are have been plenty of championship teams that were lead by a very solid cast rather than a multi-year MVP.

Boston doesn't win their last championship without Rondo, Detroit doesn't win without Billups and the Spurs probably don't win their last 2 championships without Parker. But I don't think there is any one single position that you couldn't fill with a quality role player and still win it all. All you have to do is go through the list of starters on championship teams and you'll see all five positions well represented by average Joes.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you notice how I had said "can" and not "will" in my original post about him?

:D

And that might even hold up if it weren't for all those other pesky comments.

Skill wise, I would say that he has the same as Durant when Durant was his age

before his ACL injury, he "looked" like a Durant clone

And the Durant comaprison was only if he can get back the same athleticism he had before his injury

As I said, there's no denying he has some NBA level qualities but he was never in any way shape or form the athlete that Durant was even before his ACL injury. Besides athleticism, there are several other huge differences in their games. Go watch video on these two guys when they set up for an outside shot and you'll see a level of grace, comfort and competency in Durant that Quincy will likely never possess. Miller will struggle to get off that shot against NBA defenders.

Perhaps Miller will respond to a shooting coach but even then he'd still be a good step or two behind Durant. There's nothing wrong with not being in Durant's class, the guy is special, but IMO the gap between these two at similar ages is too great to suggest that one is a poor man's version of the other let alone calling that one a clone. I don't even have a problem with drafting Miller with the 13th if the doctors clear him but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to develop into the Miller Lite version of Durant.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a article on RealGM dated June 5th, 2012 (Via FOXSportsArizona.com) that has some remarks from Lance Blanks about the draft which really doesn't say anything new except one comment intrigued me a bit.

Blanks said the Suns are open to drafting a player who can make an immediate impact or one who might have more upside but need a few years to develop.

"Hopefully (it) is a player who is not finished growing, but hopefully he can impact this roster next year," he said. "Part of that will be on him, and part of that will be on us."

It made me think the Suns are looking for a young player that has a lot of upside (perhaps not only youth but physically) that is athletic enough to contribute now. I think Banks was trying to say something here without saying it. It may fit some particular players more. Just my thoughts.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...imeter_Scoring_Interior_Defense#ixzz1wwHc6ERF

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read a article on RealGM dated June 5th, 2012 (Via FOXSportsArizona.com) that has some remarks from Lance Blanks about the draft which really doesn't say anything new except one comment intrigued me a bit.

It made me think the Suns are looking for a young player that has a lot of upside (perhaps not only youth but physically) that is athletic enough to contribute now. I think Banks was trying to say something here without saying it. It may fit some particular players more. Just my thoughts.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...imeter_Scoring_Interior_Defense#ixzz1wwHc6ERF

Blanks comes across as an absolute dolt.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The main difference, Kevin Durant is confident aggressive and Quincy Miller has been shy and passive in college.

The reason they are compared is simply their body type and that they are wing players.

Miller does have potential and his length and skills make him a mid first round pick but he is somewhat of a project.

I like him around #20, but I would not consider him over Ross, Rivers, Lamb, Jones III, Marshall or Wroten at #13.

I think I still go with Austin Rivers over Ross. Rivers was a guy I liked for us 2 years ago and still do. Ross looks great in workout and has size but I am not sure he is good enough on the dribble and creativity wise. Rivers is maybe an inch short at the SG position but has a terific first step, great isolation scoring skills, confidence and a jumper that will improve. I am pretty sure that Austin Rivers will at one point be a 20ppg scorer or 6th man of the year candidate. I don't think you could go worng with that at #13.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the article dated 6-5-12 written by Paul Coro at azcentral, the Suns considered trading this year's pick for Markieff's twin brother, Marcus, on draft night last year.

The Suns' front office declared its first foray into the draft a success a year ago and consider this draft class to be deeper, perhaps making it a good thing that they passed on last year's draft-night consideration to trade this first-round pick to Houston for Morris' twin, Marcus.

Just the idea the Suns considered it frightens me. :bang:

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...rer-high-phoenix-suns-list.html#ixzz1x3iDod2w

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is anyone else here going to be disappointed if the Suns come away from the draft with only one rookie to show for it? With the state of the roster and the perceived depth of this draft, it's imperative that we add at least two rookies this summer and maybe stash a second round euro.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Is anyone else here going to be disappointed if the Suns come away from the draft with only one rookie to show for it? With the state of the roster and the perceived depth of this draft, it's imperative that we add at least two rookies this summer and maybe stash a second round euro.

Eh, my expectations are so low that I won't be surprised if we end up with just one rookie. Hell, I'll be grateful to have that one. I'll be disappointed, but not really surprised. There is no reason the Suns shouldn't acquire one or two additional picks- they can buy one and/or take on a bad contract in exchange for a pick.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Sure I'd like to see the Suns pick up additional picks but not at the expense of significant assets.

When people say the draft is deep they mean there is a greater possibility of having more decent/productive players available later in the draft, that and a lack of star power throughout.

Suns need a lot more than an additional possibly decent player, so I'd be wary if they gave anything of real value.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Sure I'd like to see the Suns pick up additional picks but not at the expense of significant assets.

When people say the draft is deep they mean there is a greater possibility of having more decent/productive players available later in the draft, that and a lack of star power throughout.

Suns need a lot more than an additional possibly decent player, so I'd be wary if they gave anything of real value.

They don't really have anything of real value though. Gortat and Dudley are the only remotely valuable players they have. I'd hang onto Morris as well, as he might turn out to be a decent back-up PF. Gortat is really the only legitimate starter out of those guys.

MAYBE someone would give up a late first-rounder in a Lopez sign-and-trade, just based on his age and size, but I don't really see anyone offering draft picks for anything the Suns have to offer, unless they take on a bad contract in exchange (which I am OK with.)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns also previously considered trading Stoudemire for a bag of potato chips on one particular draft night, and they turned that down. Look how that turned out!

What Sarver sees every morning ...

You must be registered for see images