Who will win the west?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above is just sooo wrong. He practically won us our first title in 99. Odom is not worth mentioning in the same sentence as the great Sean Elliott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EL38SKyX8

good lord. he made one great shot against a garbage portland team. you're right, Odom's not worth mentioning in the same sentence as Elliott because no one in their right mind would even entertain the conversation.

so bet or not? if i lose, i give up my favorite place on the internet to talk sports... if you lose, you don't get to troll a place you come to once in a while. yay or nay?

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
good lord. he made one great shot against a garbage portland team. you're right, Odom's not worth mentioning in the same sentence as Elliott because no one in their right mind would even entertain the conversation.

so bet or not? if i lose, i give up my favorite place on the internet to talk sports... if you lose, you don't get to troll a place you come to once in a while. yay or nay?

So you have no clue. Elliott had 22 points in that game? And no, that Portland team was not garbage. Just ask Portland fans about the loss in this game and series...

So you chickened out on my proposed bet? Why would I make a bet if I don't get anything if I win? I couldn't care less about what you do with your time. You can visit this forum or a basketery forum instead and it would make no difference to me at all.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you have no clue. Elliott had 22 points in that game? And no, that Portland team was not garbage. Just ask Portland fans about the loss in this game and series...

Isiah Rider was the second best player on that Portland team. They were garbage. And i have no clue... Elliott had ONE good game and one GREAT shot and that makes him better than Odom who's been far... okay... you're just out to lunch if you think a Portland team led by Isiah Rider, Damon Stoudemire and Rasheed Wallace was anything but an * seasoned team of trash. And trust me, in the pantheon of great Blazer playoff losses, I'm sure that four game sweep in a strike shortened season is hardly a blip on their radar considering the awful losses the Lakers/Bulls/Pistons hung on them in much closer contests where they actually had GOOD teams.

So you chickened out on my proposed bet? Why would I make a bet if I don't get anything if I win? I couldn't care less about what you do with your time. You can visit this forum or a basketery forum instead and it would make no difference to me at all.

chickened out? I proposed the original bet and you came back with a bet that will never get paid off because NO ONE EVER PAYS OFF $ INTERNET BETS. Come on... i've actually put real stakes up, tangible proven stakes.

But okay, if we're gonna bet money, let's make it bigger. I will bet your 100.00 bucks against my 500.00 bucks that the Lakers beat the Spurs if they play in the playoffs. and if the winner never gets that money, the loser agrees to let the site administrator ban them for life. That way, if the $ bet isn't paid off (like it probably won't be in stupid internet bets) there's still consequences. Game?

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
chickened out? I proposed the original bet and you came back with a bet that will never get paid off because NO ONE EVER PAYS OFF $ INTERNET BETS. Come on... i've actually put real stakes up, tangible proven stakes.

But okay, if we're gonna bet money, let's make it bigger. I will bet your 100.00 bucks against my 500.00 bucks that the Lakers beat the Spurs if they play in the playoffs. and if the winner never gets that money, the loser agrees to let the site administrator ban them for life. That way, if the $ bet isn't paid off (like it probably won't be in stupid internet bets) there's still consequences. Game?

So now you are just back pedaling. I want my 100000 dollars :p You said the Spurs have NO chance, not 10% or 20% or whatever. It seems you wised up and changed your mind?

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahaha...the irony...hahahahahahahaha u are a funny guy, thanks mate!

Hahahahahahahaahahahahah, Brian and I are Laker fans. hahahahahaahahahahaahah.

Splitter...good stuff. Keep em' coming. You're making my excuses for Kwame Brown almost excusable.

Go easy on the poor kid, cheese.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now you are just back pedaling. I want my 100000 dollars :p You said the Spurs have NO chance, not 10% or 20% or whatever. It seems you wised up and changed your mind?

how am i back-pedaling? I'm UPPING every part of your bet. I stand by NO CHANCE. Haven't said otherwise, which is why I think a 100.00 bet is stupid. let's make it even more. I'm willing to risk 500.00 bucks because that's how sure I am and if the loser doesn't pay, they agree to be banned. I'm not sure how that's back-peddaling.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
My team rankings to win West as of today

1. Fakers- They have been playing great and the NBA along with TV is all over Kobe's black mamba.
2. SA - Nothing works better in the playoffs like a bunch of flopping whiners. They could use a Bruce Bowen to injure someone though.
3. Dallas - I really have nothing against them, I hope they go to the finals but they aren't as strong as they looked maybe a month ago and Dirk might have to completely go off in the playoffs for them to have a shot.
4. Denver -Strong bench, strong starters, solid defense and a good head coach, this team has the makings of a major surprise team in the playoffs. Don't forget the tattoos make them look scarier..bunch of thugs.
5. OKC - They are becoming the next San Antonio Spurs in terms of floppage. Durant runs into the lane and fakes a foul, the refs blow whistle, repeat. He is good but I have my doubts about them in the playoffs, especially when facing bigger market teams that get most of the calls.
6. Portland - Aldridge and a good defensive unit.
7. Memphis - Randolph but without Gay I don't think they'll have enough offense.
8. New Orleans - Paul and no one else...

Last edited:

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
how am i back-pedaling? I'm UPPING every part of your bet. I stand by NO CHANCE. Haven't said otherwise, which is why I think a 100.00 bet is stupid. let's make it even more. I'm willing to risk 500.00 bucks because that's how sure I am and if the loser doesn't pay, they agree to be banned. I'm not sure how that's back-peddaling.

So you suck at math and/or you cannot read. Good to know.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score

1. Fakers- They have been playing great and the NBA along with TV is all over Kobe's black mamba.
2. SA - Nothing works better in the playoffs like a bunch of flopping whiners. They could use a Bruce Bowen to injure someone though.
3. Dallas - I really have nothing against them, I hope they go to the finals but they aren't as strong as they looked maybe a month ago and Dirk might have to completely go off in the playoffs for them to have a shot.
4. Denver -Strong bench, strong starters, solid defense and a good head coach, this team has the makings of a major surprise team in the playoffs. Don't forget the tattoos make them look scarier..bunch of thugs.
5. OKC - They are becoming the next San Antonio Spurs in terms of floppage. Durant runs into the lane and fakes a foul, the refs blow whistle, repeat. He is good but I have my doubts about them in the playoffs, especially when facing bigger market teams that get most of the calls.
7. Memphis - Randolph but without Gay I don't think they'll have enough offense.

Good post. I agree with most of this (and a bit of smack talk is fine with me). From a Spurs perspective I'm more worried about Portland than OKC or Denver (eventhough we just lost a game to them) because Aldridge is a terrible match-up for our bigs. In my humble opinion there are many really good teams on that list and I wouldn't be surprised if there is an upset or two in the first two rounds. Health will be a major issue as always of course.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol Fakers!

How about them refs? How much do you pay them?

Really? A Spurs fan is going to try and play the REF card? Seriously? The same Spurs who received several favorable and questionable calls against the Suns alone in the playoffs? The same Spurs who had an asterick next to one of their titles? The same Spurs who are nick named the "Sterns".

Wow....just wow. A Spurs fan pulling out the REF CARD is like a hooker playing the abstinence card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Right now I think I would take portland and OKC over denver to pull off a surprise in the playoffs. They both have the bullets to hang with one of the top 3 teams in a 7 game series. Dallas has slipped a little, but all that matters is what happens in the playoffs. I am impressed in what they have done in spite of all of their injuries. It looks like they are getting healthy at the right time, but I will knock on wood. Every time it looks like they might be at full strength someone gets hurt. Caron Butler is trying to come back, but I don't think he would even see court time at all unless they make a deep push. He is bearly shooting jumpers now. And no cheesebeef I'm not counting on him to come back. I would just like to see him come off the bench in spare time. I admire him as a player and feel like that would be a great story.

Duncan being out won't hurt the spurs for now. They pretty much have the number one seed on lock, which is a huge advantage for them because they clearly avoid LAL and probably Dallas in the second round. They've always shown that they can survive without one of their big 3 in the reg season. If he is not 100% in the playoffs then it is a huge loss. They can't win on a nightly basis in the playoffs without one of their big 3 at 100%. Splitter will be lucky to split time in the playoffs. We already know what pop does to his bench guys in the playoffs. He's got a quick trigger.

and spare me the spurs vs. lakers talk. there is no comparison. I give the spurs credit for winning titles that can't be diminished by mavs or suns fans who have 0. But they did not produce head to head against shaq's lakers or any other lakers that were in title contention of late. Gasol, bynum, and odom is better than the current spurs front line. That's all that matters. Bringing david robinson and sean elliot in this is ridiculous.

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I think Lakers has the best chance.

Duncan is injured and he is not getting younger.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Really? A Spurs fan is going to try and play the REF card? Seriously? The same Spurs who received several favorable and questionable calls against the Suns alone in the playoffs? The same Spurs who had an asterick next to one of their titles? The same Spurs who are nick named the "Sterns".

Wow....just wow. A Spurs fan pulling out the REF CARD is like a hooker playing the abstinence card.

I get it, you really hate the Spurs beacuse of our PO-history. That's fine with me and I respect your opinion but would you please explain why Stern would prefer that the Spurs win the west and not the Lakers? (A boring old team with low tv-ratings or a big-market team with high tv-ratings). Also, do you really think that the refs are neutral when they call Lakers-games in the POs?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
... would you please explain why Stern would prefer that the Spurs win the west and not the Lakers?
It is a reflection of human nature. Cheaters or bullies usually get away with taking the first shot. The Spurs over the years have certainly proved themselves to be cheaters.

The victims who try to retaliate are the ones who get caught. Or they don't retaliate and they remain victims. And the league looks the other way.

But the bystanders lose respect for the cheaters. Except, of course, those who are cheaters themselves.

Yup, it's human nature. And sports and politics are made up of humans. That's why it's dirty.

Or as the old saying goes, "There is no gravity. The earth sucks!" :D

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
It is a reflection of human nature. Cheaters or bullies usually get away with taking the first shot. The Spurs over the years have certainly proved themselves to be cheaters.

The victims who try to retaliate are the ones who get caught. Or they don't retaliate and they remain victims. And the league looks the other way.

But the bystanders lose respect for the cheaters. Except, of course, those who are cheaters themselves.

Yup, it's human nature. And sports and politics are made up of humans. That's why it's dirty.

Or as the old saying goes, "There is no gravity. The earth sucks!" :D

So you hate the Spurs too, it's all fine with me. How about answering my question and not some other imaginary question? Why would Stern want the Spurs to win the west instead of the Lakers? What would the nba gain from that exactly?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Why would Stern want the Spurs to win the west instead of the Lakers? What would the nba gain from that exactly?

It isn't by Stern's design. The Spurs have elevated manipulation of the referees to an art form. They have a choreographed response to every call, and over the course of a game, is disrupts the referees' judgment. The officials can't call Spurs games fairly because their brains are too befuddled by the Spurs' antics. San Antonio has figured out how to make a weakness in the NBA game -- the fallibility of the officiating system -- work consistently in their favor.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
It isn't by Stern's design. The Spurs have elevated manipulation of the referees to an art form. They have a choreographed response to every call, and over the course of a game, is disrupts the referees' judgment. The officials can't call Spurs games fairly because their brains are too befuddled by the Spurs' antics. San Antonio has figured out how to make a weakness in the NBA game -- the fallibility of the officiating system -- work consistently in their favor.

Good post and this actually make much more sense than the Stern-thing. CIA pop is not stupid and neither are his players.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This whole ref arguement is crazy. the refs or stern don't control who makes it to the finals. why fans have to go there when their team loses is a bit ridiculous. mavs fans did the same thing when they lost to the heat. then phil jackson made mention of it recently saying cuban learned a lesson. I think bashing officials can hurt you more than it helps. they get tired of seeing duncan's face i guarantee you. that's why crawford kicked him out off the bench that day. it gets old.

but all fans blame the refs. the spurs fans were certainly blaming their elimination from the mavs on mark cuban. it is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05