Why Carolina will win. Period.

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
If thats your theory, then you had better do some stat finding. We are pretty damn good against the run.

Did some stat checking.

Week 1 - Frank Gore rang up 96 yards on 14 carries and a TD. Granted, he's a stud on a crappy team.

Week 2 - Decent stopping Miami's running game...was this before they started using the wildcat formation? Funny thing about Miami...their O-Coordinator Dan Henning used to be the Panthers O-Coordinator. He did a little of the direct snap to the RBs here too.

Week 3 - Shut down Clinton Portis who still managed to grab a TD. But a late pick sealed the game for Washington.

Week 4 - No running game to talk about...could have been the east coast thing...but this game was all about the pass.

Week 5 - Buffalo got down early and lost Trent Edwards. This game for Buffalo is a lot like the Tampa game for Carolina. If you get down early...things could get bad.

Week 6 - Did a good job stopping Marion Barber actually RUNNING the ball, but he did carve you guys up with the screen passes and dump offs. I guess that can go under the pass defense.

If you compare the RBs the Cards have faced with the RBs the Panthers have faced...I think you can see what a real run defense is supposed to be like. I'd much rather have had the Panthers play the Cardinals schedule based on each teams running back than the Panthers schedule. Hell I'd just rather have the Panthers switch schedules with the Cardinals. The Panthers would be 13-3 easily playing in the NFC West.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Looking at the Panthers their run game is a big concern but I am sure Whis and Clancy recognizes this. Good point earlier about Watson being back. Having the big guy in the middle should help clog things up a little.

As always the concern for the Cardinals on the road is turnovers and penalties. If they can limit those to areas it will be a close game. Carolina has a good team but I don't think they will be able to shut down Arizona's offense without the turnovers and penalties.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can see what a real run defense is supposed to be like.
Riiiight. The Cards don't have a "real" run defense.

You say you're not here to talk smack, but your posts reek of it. Not many here are even saying the Cards should win, yet you're continuing to throw down a-hole comments like the one above.

I'm usually all for opposition posters, but personally, you're testing my patience.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. The Cards answer to Frank Gore was to try and keep him off the field.

Miami and the Bills never had a chance to run the ball because they were playing from so far behind.

Good running teams give the Cardinals defense problems. Especially when they play on the road.

maybe historically, but not this year.

Gore had a big first half. Thats pretty much been it for productive running backs against the Cardinals.

Miami- Williams/Brown 22 atts / 53 yards / 2.4 per // current avg is 4.5
Wash- Portis 21 / 68/ 3.2 // current average is 5.0 per
Jets - T. Jones 18 / 46 / 2.56 // current average is 4.4 per
Bills - Lynch 13 / 55 / 4.23 // current average is 3.5 per
Dallas - Barber 17 / 45 / 2.65 // current average is 4.2 per

since that first half against Frank Gore -- the Cards have held in check the other teams running game -- and held four of the five well below their average rush per attempt.

I will be really surprised if Carolina consistently moves the ball via running.

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
Riiiight. The Cards don't have a "real" run defense.

Would the Cardinals have held LT, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner and Larry Johnson all under 100 yards in their first 5 games?? Maybe...but I guarantee that the Cardinals wouldn't be 5-2 if they played the Panthers schedule so far.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll be here either to congratulate you guys on the upset or to console you on the loss. I'm not here to talk smack...I just honestly think the Panthers are the better team and are playing at home. That said it's not a guaranteed win, just won that if the Panthers are a true playoff contender and team to beat in the NFC, they need to be able to handle a team like the Cardinals, especially at home. This is a game the Panthers SHOULD win, not need to win. It's still too early for must-win games. Ya'll are lucky out in the NFC West...your division is garbage and you'll probably win it with an 8-8 record. Not so lucky in the NFC South. 11-5 might be looking at a wildcard berth if that.

If the NFC West is that weak, then the Cardinals might end up 11-5 & in the tougher NFC South, the Panthers may end up 8-8. This will be a great game & the margin of victory will be less than 7 pts. Carolina definitely has the advantage since it's a 1:00 game on the east coast, but the Cardinals are every bit as good if not better than the Panthers. This game could go either way so don't expect a blowout.

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
If the NFC West is that weak, then the Cardinals might end up 11-5 & in the tougher NFC South, the Panthers may end up 8-8. This will be a great game & the margin of victory will be less than 7 pts. Carolina definitely has the advantage since it's a 1:00 game on the east coast, but the Cardinals are every bit as good if not better than the Panthers. This game could go either way so don't expect a blowout.

I could definently see the Cardinals better than 8-8. 10-6 and the #4 seed seems about right to me. Wouldn't be suprised if the Panthers finish 11-5 and end up going to Arizona to play in the first round of the playoffs.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, we had a tough, tough loss, and showed our quality by coming back to beat two quality opponents. You guys had a tough, tough loss and came back to beat a quality opponent. In my mind, this is a game of momentum, and who can carry theirs. If we come out on fire as we have the last two games, we will dominate Carolina, because we have the talent to do that...WHEN WE WANT TO. Unfortunately, we have a tendency to come out flat because our players take their talent for granted, especially on the road. If we come out flat, it will be an uphill struggle all day that I doubt we can win. Now, that's us. I'd love to hear about how the Panthers need to approach this game. IMO, plain and simply, whoever keeps the attitude to stay on the high they're on will win the game.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's even a question. Carolina has shown they have one of the top defenses in the NFL.

Cardinals have one of the top offences.

Moderators Note: Split your text into seperate paragraphs, those longs ones are real hard to read

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would the Cardinals have held LT, Matt Forte, Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner and Larry Johnson all under 100 yards in their first 5 games?? Maybe...but I guarantee that the Cardinals wouldn't be 5-2 if they played the Panthers schedule so far.

Ya, cause KC and Minny are fricking world-beaters this year. lol

Look, not a lot of us are expecting a win, so you're pretty much preaching to the choir, but doing it like a douche.

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
Ya, cause KC and Minny are fricking world-beaters this year. lol

Look, not a lot of us are expecting a win, so you're pretty much preaching to the choir, but doing it like a douche.

Haha okay okay sorry. My whole point of the thread was to say the Cards need to stop the run to beat the Panthers or it'll be a long game. But I think you guys got a playoff caliber team, especially playing out in the NFC West and I think it has the makings of a good game. For both our sakes I hope there are no injuries...

football karma

Reaction score

why not -- they held Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Marion Barber, Marshawn Lynch and Ronnie Brown all under 100 yards.

combined records of Cards opponents: 21-18 (.539) three home, three road

combined records of Carolina opps: 23-24 (.489) four home, three road

objective facts: they really improve an argument

OP
OP
H

hepcat

Reaction score
why not -- they held Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Marion Barber, Marshawn Lynch and Ronnie Brown all under 100 yards.

combined records of Cards opponents: 21-18 (.539) three home, three road

combined records of Carolina opps: 23-24 (.489) four home, three road

objective facts: they really improve an argument

If the Panthers had lost all those games...the combined record of their opponents would be 28-19! Must be playing some tough competition! Combined W-L records don't mean so much....

football karma

Reaction score
If the Panthers had lost all those games...the combined record of their opponents would be 28-19! Must be playing some tough competition! Combined W-L records don't mean so much....

Cards opponents (net of facing Cards): 19-14 (.576)

Carolina opps (net of facing Carolina): 21-19 (.525)

no matter how you spin it-- Arizona at a minimum, has faced just as tough a schedule as Carolina -- and per the stats above, objectively can claim facing a tougher schedule

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the Cardinals can jump out in front early then the Panthers are in for an uphill battle. AS you said they find it tough sledding when they get down early because they have to abandon the run.

I think the Cardinal offense will come out wide open spreading the field and causing havoc in the Panther secondary. 4-5 receiver sets.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Agreed the NFC West does stink right now. Of course our 4-2 record includes exactly one game against the NFC West.
Meanwhile, the Cowboys are 0-2 against the crappy NFC West. Sorry, just had to throw that in there...

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I don't think that's even a question. Carolina has shown they have one of the top defenses in the NFL. Only in the loss to Tampa did Carolina's D give up a 100 yard rusher. And that was against Warrick Dunn, who is notorious for burning the Panthers, especially when he was with the Falcons. The only team that has the Panthers by the balls right now is Tampa. I'm not happy as a Panthers fan with that team right now...they are damn good. But back to the Panthers. They stopped damn near every top flight RB so far this year. LT, Matt Forte, Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson, Larry Johnson, Reggie Bush, etc. Edgerin James and Tim Hightower aren't going to be factors in the game on Sunday. Can the Panthers stop the pass? Well if the Cards are anything like the top ranked passing offense of the New Orleans Saints, I'd say the answer is yes. Brings me back to say that the only way Arizona wins this game is with defense and stopping the Carolina running game.

We've faced 4 out of the top 10, 3 on the road. Frank Gore had 96 yards rushing. Portis 68 yards on 21 carries. Jones had 46 yards on 16 carries. On top of that we held Barber to 47 yards on 17 carries. The problem we have is stopping the pass and turning the ball over in less than ideal conditions. Whats the weather supposed to look like Sun.

I'm not saying we will win. Doesn't take a genius to figure out we've struggled on the road, especially on the East coast, but if the players are as confident as you appear to be, I like our chances alot.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hepcat, good stuff. The most valuable thing to us is your self-analysis of your team. All fans know their own team best. I didn't know Delhomme struggled so much with no run game.

Reinforces in my mind what I posted on your web site -- if we can't slow down your run game, we are in trouble. However, I think our run stopping will susrprise you (or maybe it's just hope.)

This is a big game for both teams. Usually, when we have a really big opportunity on the road, we flop. We'll see. Bring it on.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I didn't see the Saints game but I almost wonder if getting back Shockey and Colston hurt them because neither guy was sharp and messed up the timing they had going with Brees?

Caroling is good, look at their schedule it's not like they've played a ton of cupcakes or something, but honestly look at our schedule the only weak team we've really played is SF, we all thought Miami was weak but they've played pretty well since losing to us.

It's all about breaking the pattern of not playing well on the road, if we do that we're in the game.

I did see the game. Shockey was obviously not 100% as his post-game comments indicated, and Colston dropped a couple passes and had a splint on his hand. One thing Kurt will have to be wary of is getting the ball knocked down by the Panther D-line. They are one of the best in the league at doing it.

Hey look the Panthers have a stout defense and will be a tough physical team to play. But this isn't the same old Cardinals IMO. And they should be at full strength with the possible exception of Ben Patrick.

As always in a game against a John Fox-coached team turnovers will be a key. And as mentioned by Q in his interview with Mike Jurecki, getting off to a good start instead of having to come from behind would be helpful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05