Why Carolina will win. Period.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, well 3.2 yards per carry average isn't scary to say the least. That pretty much makes you guys one-dimensional. Your passing game is ranked just behind the one-dimensional Saints. They only got 231 passing yards last week against us. Some of those yards were after we had put the game away. GO PANTHERS!!!

I think he meant the Saints defense isn't any good so they're an offensive team.

If you notice the Cards defense is better than the Saints and the scoring defense number is skewed heavily by the 7 turnover 56 point debacle against the Jets. The Cards have allowed 144 points in 6 games, that means 39% of those points came in one game. 24 PPG allowed for the season, but take away that one game and and you get 17.6 PPG.

The Saints give up 23 PPG but that's a much more realistic depiction of their defense, they've only held 2 teams under 20 Points, SF(17) and Oakland (3).
SF is a pretty good offense but turnover prone, Oakland's offense is struggling, they had a brand new coach, and it was the only game this year where the Saints defense actually looked good.

NObody is saying the Cards are going to blow the Panthers out and it's a mismatch just that looking at previous year performance is probably going to mislead you, this is not the same old Cards, this team is much better.

We've been in every game this year, even that 56 point debacle we were in that game in the 2nd half until 2 more turnovers by Warner, as badly as we played in that game we were still competitive because of the offense.

Carolina is a very good, disciplined team, will be a very tough game, but it won't surprise me at all if they have a lot more trouble with Arizona than you seem to think they will.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yea, well 3.2 yards per carry average isn't scary to say the least. That pretty much makes you guys one-dimensional. Your passing game is ranked just behind the one-dimensional Saints. They only got 231 passing yards last week against us. Some of those yards were after we had put the game away. GO PANTHERS!!!

Don't let our YPC average fool you. We are a pass-first team, but a lot of our runs are 3rd and short, 4th and 1 or goal line runs for TDs (we have 8 rushing TDs so far in 6 games) and we almost always convert. We rarely lose yards on runs because of Edge and Hightower is developing into a dynamic back.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love when the Cards supposedly have no chance, that seems to be when we play well and surprise teams. So yeah we are doomed we have no chance in the world against the mighty Panthers, they will kill our mediocre bird team. I hope our team reads this board and sees how many of their own fans don't believe in them. Also don't forget entire games change with one play or injury all the time in the NFL ask the Broncos, or the Bills, or the Cowboys, just saying Delhomo had better watch out the last 2 QB's this Cardinal D have taken out! Any given Sunday...maybe this is the week the Cards prove they can dominate on the road.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, well 3.2 yards per carry average isn't scary to say the least.
Our running game isn't to be feared.

But our passing game is a different beast than New Orleans'. It's not really a vertical passing game, and I think it'll be more difficult to defend for the Panthers.

Again, I'm not saying the Cards will win. I think it's going to be a really tough game for them to pull out, but saying you shut down the teams you did and then projecting that on to the Cards just doesn't work.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I guarantee the Cards would be 7-0 if they played your schedule thus far. So what?

Opinions are like ********. Everyone has one, and your stinks!

cya tomorrow, personal attacks are not allowed

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

when he says we're not one dimensional he's referring to the fact we play offense and defense (as opposed to the saints who rely on O only). i was a little taken aback by his comment at first as well until i realized he wasn't referencing the run game.

take out the aberration that was the jets game and our squad is only allowing 17.6 pts/game. that's a lot better than in prior years.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when he says we're not one dimensional he's referring to the fact we play offense and defense (as opposed to the saints who rely on O only). i was a little taken aback by his comment at first as well until i realized he wasn't referencing the run game.
I think he is. He's saying we can't run, so we're one-dimensional on offense with only a passing game. Thus, the second sentence begins with "that," referencing our YPC average.

JMHO

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think he is. He's saying we can't run, so we're one-dimensional on offense with only a passing game. Thus, the second sentence begins with "that," referencing our YPC average.

JMHO

"can't run" isn't entirely accurate. New Orleans is horrible running the ball on third and one. The Cardinals, especially Tim Hightower, have been unstoppable on third or 4th and short this season.

We can run when we just need a yard or two on third down. We can't run the ball to run out the clock and hold a lead for the most part, or establish the run, then use play action to establish the pass.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Let me just say this - and this goes for Mad Card Disease - if we lose this game it will not be because of our inability to stop the run. That's actualy a strengthof our team and if you actually watched the 49er game, Gore was shutdown (along with everyone else we have played) except for one long run.

I think we will lose because the Panthers have a legit Pass defense and Pass rush which can giveus problems. And the fact that we are on the road playing at 10AM is a big concern as well.

But Hepcat here me this. If you were to play us in Phoenix (and Kurt Warner is playing and not Tim freaking Rattay) we would absolutely crush you.

You might win this week but you better hope you win your division. Because if we are lucky enough to meet in the playoffs in our house - you won't win.

Your'e not the superior team - you just have the superior circumstances this week.

Saying all that with all the visiting Panther fans, more and more I hope we take you guys to the wood shed.

I just wouldn't bet on it;)

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Put the Pipe down hepcat.

This isn't the Cardinals of past. We've got a team strong on offense - leading the league in points and a defense that IS STRONG. Cards haven't let any team run 100 yards on them in the past 12 games...it's not going to happen with the Panthers...even with D Williams and Stewart. Cards held the 2 cowpie runners to less than 50 yards...and they were better than Carolina.

Cards defense is 2nd in the league in sacks

Go on now and put the pipe down...the day's of looking at the Cards and saying,'that's a win.' ARE OVER!

You better hope Jake D has his helmet on tight. Last I checked Cards knocked out Trent Edwards AND Tony Romo in the past 2 games.

While I'll state the Cards have failed on the road...and that will make me nervous...I can tell you 'You've got one heck of a team coming into town to play the Panthers.'

I hope the Panthers are having a party on Saturday night...because they're gonna be hurting Sunday.:D

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Carolina is 5-2 lifetime against Arizona. [rest snipped out]
I HATE analysis like this. What happened in 2002 is about as relevant as the Cardinals' 1947 NFL championship.

I don't count on Arizona being able to do what Tampa did, especially since Arizona isn't as familiar with the Carolina gameplan.
Have you ever heard of something called "scouting?" It's when teams evaluate other teams by watching tape or even attending games in person. You might be surprised to find out that many NFL teams do this (possibly all teams except Kansas City).

But the game on Sunday will come down to how well Arizona can shut down the Panthers ground game. Putting pressure on Delhomme won't be enough to win this game, and neither will a prolific passing game. If any of you watched Carolina shut down New Orleans top ranked passing attack this past Sunday, it might be foreshadowing what is to come for Arizona.
It should be a good game. A good test for the Cards. I certainly hope that the Cards actually win a road game. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. But I don't think it will be a blow out in either direction.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
more fun with stats:

Carolina's offense has faced the following defenses (in terms of yards):

in wins: #28, #16, #23, #31, #19 in losses: #8, #9

Cards offense has faced the following defenses:

in wins: #23, #21, #10, #11 in losses:#6, #12

not as dramatic when looking at the kinds of offenses each team has faced:

Carolina has faced:

wins: #15,#13,#9, #29 and #1 in losses: #12 and #8

Cards:

wins: #24, #11,#17, #3 losses: #7, #18

net/net: I think both teams defensive rankings are reflective of their quality but it seems like Carolina's offense might be a bit over-ranked due to competition faced.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
more fun with stats:

Carolina's offense has faced the following defenses (in terms of yards):

in wins: #28, #16, #23, #31, #19 in losses: #8, #9

Cards offense has faced the following defenses:

in wins: #23, #21, #10, #11 in losses:#6, #12

not as dramatic when looking at the kinds of offenses each team has faced:

Carolina has faced:

wins: #15,#13,#9, #29 and #1 in losses: #12 and #8

Cards:

wins: #24, #11,#17, #3 losses: #7, #18

net/net: I think both teams defensive rankings are reflective of their quality but it seems like Carolina's offense might be a bit over-ranked due to competition faced.

You could say the Panthers were without Steve Smith for the first two games. But then you'd also have to say the Cardinals were without Anquan Boldin for the last two games. :)

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really don't have a legitimate run game. We can spin it, massage it, claim otherwise, and do all kinds of excuse making, but we don't have a run game this year yet again.

It's a given. That's why we pass so much, given the tools we do have. With that and the defense, we might be able to win this game.

kepickle

Reaction score
hi guys the Panthers will pass to support the run or run to support the pass but remember for the last 2 games our starting RT & center & 3rd WR DJ Hackett have been out due to injury but should be health for this one & our Def well good luck i think we will beat the cards but i'm a big hard core panther fan so i'm suppost to think that

the one think i think we will all agree on is no injurys

jaguarpaw81

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
hi guys the Panthers will pass to support the run or run to support the pass but remember for the last 2 games our starting RT & center & 3rd WR DJ Hackett have been out due to injury but should be health for this one & our Def well good luck i think we will beat the cards but i'm a big hard core panther fan so i'm suppost to think that

Get used to that, the man's always hurt.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Scariest stat for the Cards is one I heard on Mike & Mike ESPN Radio;
West coast teams playing on the East coast at 1:00 EST starts have lost 12 straight games now.
I could easily see the Cards coming out flat and falling behind by 2 TDs early.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score

Get used to that, the man's always hurt.
dj hackett won't be back for this game. won't matter, though....dwayne jarret will do well enough. he catches anything thrown his way and he isn't always getting hurt. if smitty and moose weren't dealing with the horrible coverage the saints threw at them jarrett would have had more targets.

i have no concerns over the oline. it wil be good to have kalil and otah back but the oline depth has done a very good job. only 1 sack in 4 games and we stopped the false start problem. oline is solid with or without the starters.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
Scariest stat for the Cards is one I heard on Mike & Mike ESPN Radio;
West coast teams playing on the East coast at 1:00 EST starts have lost 12 straight games now.
I could easily see the Cards coming out flat and falling behind by 2 TDs early.
that trend has to end sometime. hopefully it won't be in this game but still....it's going to change soon.

re: game being over if you guys falbehind by a couple TDs.....i don't know if this is going to be one of those games that are decided early. if it was leinart at QB for you guys or if it was the panthers of previous years then i would say it could be but the panthers this year esp. at home are tenacious. same thing with the cards while warner is at the helm.

warner keeps your guys going. he is an old warrior who has yet to find the eaning of the word quit or retire and his energy has finally caught on with the rest of the team. the chief reason he is still starting for you guys is because he won't stop. the man is a legend and i look forward to watching him.

there was some comments that fox made about him in an article by one of our local beat reporters i thought i would share:
Former league MVP Kurt Warner is enjoying a renaissance of sorts, completing 64 percent of his passes for 1,708 yards with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. His quarterback rating of 102.8 is third-best in the league.
“When he was in St. Louis he was making those fast decisions and very accurate; and he’s kind of had a resurgence of that and he looks to be playing outstanding,” Fox said. “I think at one time he was doing that as well as anybody and I’m seeing flashes of that now. But he is a very quick decision maker and a very accurate passer.”
i would offer a link to the article but i don't have enough posts yet

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
You panther fans have probably seen the stat about Warner's record inside and outside, so that is yet another factor in your favor.

With that said, we might be the better team on paper, and I predict this is the game we put it all together. We'll be healthier this week than we've been all year.

Cards use an unspectacular but steady rushing attack to help Warner and Co. move the chains on, long, frustrating, clock-eating drives. We win like we did against SF and MIA, by keeping your offense off the field, and taking the air out of the CAR crowd.

Delahommey will be chucking it into the endzone on the final plays, but this time to no avail.

Cards shake up the world, 21-14.

PantherHeel

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to the Cards for kicking the crap out of the Cowgirls!!

I don’t share the cockiness of this thread’s originator. IMO, fans that go to boards of opposing teams crowing about how their team is going to win “PERIOD” hasn’t watched much NFL football this year. The NFL has become too volatile and competitive to feel confident until a game reaches 00.00.

I think the Cardinals present a HUGE challenge for the Panthers and I’m looking forward to seeing how my Panthers respond after an impressive win against the Saints. Many Panthers fans have agreed that we’ll know a lot more about our own team following the stretch of games against the Bucs, Saints and Cardinals. As it turns out, your game is sort of like a “swing state”.

I think the key for the Panthers is getting pressure on Warner on defense and limiting the pressure on Jake. The Panthers need to hit, or at least pressure, Kurt a couple of times early to let him start thinking about the pressure.

ST’s will also be critical. Our ST’s are far from SPECIAL except for our kickers. The Panthers must avoid ST’s lapses.

You have outstanding WR’s but they’ll take hits and they had better hold on to the ball because the Panthers’ LB’s and S’s are very good at forcing turnovers.

Another key, if you’re a Cards fan, is watching whether Peppers comes to play Sunday. If he’s motivated and involved in the game early, Warner’s day could be a long one. The rest of the DL seems to feed off of Pep’s enthusiasm.

Last of all, I think the outcome of this game will also depend on the philosophy of our defensive coaches. If our defensive coaches abandon the aggressiveness they showed last week against the Saints, you have a very good chance of winning. I was concerned about Brees and I’m just as concerned, if not more, about Warner. In order to win, the Panthers MUST make Kurt feel uncomfortable.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
On paper this is a great match up IMO.

Hopefully the Cards will show up for a road game against a quality opponent.

Kudos to the Panther fans on the lively and civil discussion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05