Why Lakers will beat the Suns

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bynum needs a spine surgery. :)

has James Jones done anything for you guys? And why the hell do you guys always get so many "JJ" players on the Suns? :D

Jr has had a couple good games where he made a few shots, but I'm still waiting for that 'automatic' label that has been mentioned about him in practice.

Also, I thought Bynum needed a balls reattachment procedure...has that been done yet or not? :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jr has had a couple good games where he made a few shots, but I'm still waiting for that 'automatic' label that has been mentioned about him in practice.

Also, I thought Bynum needed a balls reattachment procedure...has that been done yet or not? :)

I don't know that they've ever been attached to begin with. Dude would be a S-T-U-D if he had the heart (or rebuilt heart) of Turiaf. He's so damn lackadaisical that he pisses me off. I keep saying "he's just 19, he's just 19, get some balls, you're already 19."

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The tragedy is that the Suns, being the unfocused coasters they are, will probably let the Lakers drag this series out. On paper it should be a sweep, but instead we'll have to endure the boasts of the Laker faithful for two weeks -- and then on into next season, as they talk about how impressive it was that they were able to appear competitive.

OP
OP
K

kb24

Reaction score
If the Lakers 2 best players have a great series,then it does not matter how focused the Suns are it will be a tough series. Lamar at 6-10 will give Marion major problems,and it does not matter how focused Marion is. Lamar just has a size advantage over him that causes him major problems. Then off course Kobe.

When you have 2 guys that cause you big time matchup problems,that can lead to teammates like Luke ,Farmar ,Sasha ,Cook,Rad being wide open from the perimiter and keep the Lakers in the game and win a couple of games in the series or win it.

Lamar may be inconsistent ,but he gives Phoenix a lot of problems. Especially when the Lakers use him correctly in the post,and not have him play on the perimiter so much like during the regular season. Phil will put him in the post starting Game 1 against Marion and look for Shawn to end up in early foul trouble.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Suns didn't even show up until the second half of game 4 last year and still pulled it out.
They have a healthy front line and most important they have Steve Nash.

The Lakers have a size advantage and the best scorer in the league but defensively I don't think they can stop the Suns with enough consistancy to win the series.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Lakers second best player is Luke Walton. Phil Jackson will make it competitve because he's 10x the coach D'Antoni is but there's too much of a talent discrepancy for the the Lakers talent (Kobe Bryant) to overcome.

Double Kobe on the perimeter and Odom in the post. Series over.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Phil's a great coach, but I won't say he's 10x better than D'Antoni this year. He has definetly underachieved as a coach and motivator, although he still has the reputation and experience to make up for it, but I highly doubt it.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is it conceivable the Lakers would win? Sure. Likely? Not really.

It may shock some Lakers fans to hear this, but the Suns finished the season with a 19 game over the Lakers dispute two meaningless losses at the end of the season. The Suns have home court advantage with a record of 33-8 at home. The Lakers have a road record of 17-24.

The Suns average 110.2 ppg on 49.4% from the field and 39.9% for 3. The Lakers rank 18th in opponent's shooting percentage, giving up 46.1% and are 18th in three point defense at 35.8%. The Suns finished the season 2nd in point differential at 7.3 ppg. The Lakers were 12th at -0.07 ppg. The Lakers are not a Spurs team that can shut down the Suns (with help from the refs). Even after an ugly win a week ago, the Suns averaged 45.2% from the field and 38.5% for three for the series. A week ago, the Suns out rebounded the Lakers in LA. The only Laker win was in the season opener in LA over a Suns team that started very slowly.

It is not clear that K Brown is the difference between a 61 win team and a 42 win team. Obviously if all the Lakers play better than usual and the Suns forget how to shoot, the Lakers could win. It's possible, but not especially likely.

Last edited:

KB24FTW

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Lakers have a legit shot at winning. Is it guaranteed that they will? No. But they are capable. The only one who can stop them is themselves.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Lakers have a legit shot at winning. Is it guaranteed that they will? No. But they are capable. The only one who can stop them is themselves.

No, their only chance is that Suns play without much energy. When the Suns are playing their game like in their last two games with Dallas or their last game against the Jazz, they will beat anyone. It would not matter what the Lakers did because the Suns are simply a much better team.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think we Suns fans are far too impressed by our regular season record compared to the Lakers. Frankly, if Kwame and Lamar were completely healthy I'd say the Lakers were a considerably better team than the one we faced in the playoffs last year - especially if Farmar is a significant improvement on Smush, as our Laker visitors are saying. We are somewhat improved as well but not really all that much unless Diaw performs like he did last year - which is questionable. Most posters have conveniently forgotten that Tim Thomas, for all his faults, played a significant role in our winning the Lakers series. I'd rather have Amare and Kurt but neither of them can force a big to guard them at the 3pt line the way TT did.

From what I've observed Turiaf is the main reason I'd say the Lakers are improved from last year. Bynum has improved significantly and Luke Walton improved some as has Vujacic. Kwame probably has but I've not seen him play - statistically his scoring is up a bit but so are his turnovers, which were a major problem he had last year against us.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Ok, how old are you? Seriously I want to know. Because if you are 16 and posting this crap, I can deal w/ it, but if you are an adult and you actually believe this, well then you've been huffing a bit too much LA smog.

If I was a Lakers fan and they pushed the series to six games I'd be thrilled. The Lakers have NO chance to beat the Suns, the Lakers have played terrible for huge stretches this year.

Please let me hear some insightful analysis on how the Lakers plan to stop, nay slow, Leandro Barbosa. And what about Nash and Bell from behind the arc? Or Amare on the pick and roll, or Shawn on the fast break outlet? The Suns have WAY too many weapons for the Lakers to deal with, and thems the facts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think we Suns fans are far too impressed by our regular season record compared to the Lakers. Frankly, if Kwame and Lamar were completely healthy I'd say the Lakers were a considerably better team than the one we faced in the playoffs last year - especially if Farmar is a significant improvement on Smush, as our Laker visitors are saying. We are somewhat improved as well but not really all that much unless Diaw performs like he did last year - which is questionable. Most posters have conveniently forgotten that Tim Thomas, for all his faults, played a significant role in our winning the Lakers series. I'd rather have Amare and Kurt but neither of them can force a big to guard them at the 3pt line the way TT did.

From what I've observed Turiaf is the main reason I'd say the Lakers are improved from last year. Bynum has improved significantly and Luke Walton improved some as has Vujacic. Kwame probably has but I've not seen him play - statistically his scoring is up a bit but so are his turnovers, which were a major problem he had last year against us.

How can Kwame be improved over last year when a) you haven't seen him play, and b) the reason why you haven't seen him play is because he HASN'T been playing!

The Lakers aren't an awful team, that's a fact. But they are limping into the playoffs--with terrible chemistry, which is all the more harder to deal with now that Brown has just got back into the lineup. Regardless, the Lakers STILL can't run with the Suns--that's just a fact. Sure, they're a little bigger than us, but it won't matter when we're scoring and the Laker big men are trying to hurry down the floor too late.

This series won't go more than 6 games. The Lakers just don't have the firepower or the skills to knock us out.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see how the Lakers win unless Kobe goes mental and somehow destroys Phoenix's mediocore defense all on his own. I think it will occur in one game, but 4? Probably not. I don't know how the Lakers give the Suns so much trouble (judging by last year and the regular season) but it's clear who the better team is this year....

Errntknght

Reaction score
Chaplin,
How can Kwame be improved over last year when a) you haven't seen him play, and b) the reason why you haven't seen him play is because he HASN'T been playing!

I said the Kwame probably improved because: a) he's had another year in PJ's triangle, which is said to be difficult to learn, b) he's a young player and young players usually improve from year to year and c) the Lakers fans who've watched him play have said he is improved.

(I thought I posted this reply a couple of days ago, but I must have clicked the wrong button...)

Spider TX

Reaction score
Amare is not a good low post defender. Andrew Bynum is able to back him down pretty easy. The Lakers in the regular season just were not very patient and going back to him. The playoffs are a different story.

Bynum ,Kwame ,Lamar will be huge in this series in the post.

You sir, are a complete fool, now can we get back to reality and away from your video game.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:biglaugh:

The Suns seem to be doing a pretty good job of stopping them.

Spider TX

Reaction score
The Suns might be able to not score the 4th quarter and still win this game.

Seriously though, what a joke these Laker fans are, one saying that the bust players they have will be huge, andother saying the only thing that can stop them is themselves. It's hard to stop laughing. The Lakers are a middle of the pack team who would struggle mightily to compete in the East, but stand absolutely no chance to win out in the West. They will be extremely lucky to get 1 more win before they hit the golf course.

Spider TX

Reaction score
This argument would be so much better if the topic was "Why the Lakers Will Win Just 1 Quarter"

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No they don't. Tonight was another example. The bigs for the Lakers have been made useless by Amare's presence. Amare has kept their bigs off the board. He plays defense and rebounds.

The Lakers are not even close to the best team in the NBA. So there are many teams that can beat the Lakers. So not only can the Lakers beat themselves but probably every team in the playoffs could beat them.