Will Amare play before the end of the playoffs?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
pokerface said:
Yeah that was a good joke by the Suns..."We're not going to bring Amare back unless he's 100%...but we're bringing him back in record time of four months". Plus Amare if you complain we're going to tell Jerry to call you and talk some sense into you.

You officially have no clue what you are talking about.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap, just stop responding. I'm interested to see how long pokerface will single-handedly keep this thread going.

Joe

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You officially have no clue what you are talking about.

Nice defense bubba...a no answer answer.Thats a typical response I've been getting. Smart alec answers arnt "smart" at all...just vague

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How can a player be brought back in four months and still be 100%? NOT POSSIBLE. I've never seen a microfracture case brought back in under 12 months and be anywhere near 100%.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Can't wait to see this guy on the court during games again!

(this photo is from Suns.com, it was taken before game 4 of the WCF)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
green machine said:
You must be registered for see images

Can't wait to see this guy on the court during games again!

(this photo is from Suns.com, it was taken before game 4 of the WCF)

Looks like he could play.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, he must be a full 7-8 inches off the floor. Clearly he is ready to play in the Western Conference finals (note the sarcasm).

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, seriously, the right knee is bent at 90 degrees and the left knee isn't much behind. :shrug:

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Yes, he must be a full 7-8 inches off the floor. Clearly he is ready to play in the Western Conference finals (note the sarcasm).

Joe Mama

I appreciate the intent of the post, but I actually think he's a bit higher off the floor there. The photo is cropped and there's some perspective to account for......[he said hopefully].;)

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
if i'm amare this morning, and i just witnessed raja bell get out there under significant risk to completely tear his calf, what am i thinking?

if the suns advance to the finals (obviously massive IF), it is going to be VERY hard to keep amare off the court. i would go so far as to say it would take wild horses. there is no way the suns win the title and amare not get his name in there somehow...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

7-8 inches off the floor still beats Grant, Burke, K. Thomas, and Tkitishvili COMBINED. :D

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
haverford said:
I appreciate the intent of the post, but I actually think he's a bit higher off the floor there. The photo is cropped and there's some perspective to account for......[he said hopefully].;)

Yeah, the photo is cropped...they cut out the trampoline!

:biglaugh:

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
haverford said:

Also it looks like he is on the way up. I'm pretty sure he would already have the ball above his head if he was at the peak of his jump... :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
if i'm amare this morning, and i just witnessed raja bell get out there under significant risk to completely tear his calf, what am i thinking?

if the suns advance to the finals (obviously massive IF), it is going to be VERY hard to keep amare off the court. i would go so far as to say it would take wild horses. there is no way the suns win the title and amare not get his name in there somehow...

If I'm Amare, I'm thinking that a torn calf muscle can, and will still heal in 6 months time, (as in time for Preseason next year). Bad knees are a career killer in the NBA, and any sport really.

Raja is tough as nails, let's face it. Expecting Amare to do the same, with a career threatening injury is not logical.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though my head tells me that Amare is definitely not playing again this season my gut has this strange feeling. Let's not forget the Suns left him on the playoff roster. They wouldn't do that unless there was a chance that Amare could return. It's probably only a 1% chance realistically but I find it hard to believe the Suns would leave him on the playoff roster for no reason.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play but then again I wouldn't be surprised if he does play should they make it to the finals. Lets hope the Suns make it that far to find out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
If I'm Amare, I'm thinking that a torn calf muscle can, and will still heal in 6 months time, (as in time for Preseason next year). Bad knees are a career killer in the NBA, and any sport really.

Raja is tough as nails, let's face it. Expecting Amare to do the same, with a career threatening injury is not logical.

I thought Amare's left knee with the microfracture was healed and his right knee was essentially just a drain and clean out. Actually I have thought to myself, that he might have been able to get through the season with just having his right knee drained (and then perhaps get a clean out during the offseason). I often wonder if this was a medical option. I tend to think this option might have been on the table, but perhaps I am wrong.

IMO, if there is nothing more serious going on, it makes me wonder why Amare is not playing. If his knees are really that bad now, the Suns need to be looking towards finding a replacement. This is not me trying to sound doom and gloom, but the knee with the microfracture should be healed and I believe the right knee as well. And yes, I am not a doctor.

Is Amare not playing because his knees have not healed or for his concerns about the health of his knees? Either way it does not bode well for his future. I'm thinking that Amare may have lost confidence in the health of his knees or he would being busting down the door to get back on the court with the chance of an NBA Championship being within reach. Opportunities like this do not come along very often. If the Suns manage to make it to the finals and he does not play... then I'm really worried. Hasn't it been something like 7 months since the microfracture surgery?

I'm just not counting on Amare as the Sun's franchise player anymore.

I hope this post does not offend anyone, but I finally felt the need to say it.

I really hope I'm completely wrong. :confused:

Last edited:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
ESPN last week said:
"Medically, he probably could give it a try," D'Antoni continued, "but he's not ready. We put it on the shelf that day."

i translate this as "if amare tells me he's playing, i'll try him out, but I am not going to be the one to bring it up."

do you all realize that on April 5th amare had a scope to clear wear and tear on his right knee, along with a bakers cyst, which was the reason for his stiffness to begin with? they stated (conservatively) that in 6-8 weeks, Amare would go for full on basketball activity.

as for the left knee (microfracture), this was the last news heard:

AZ Rep said:
No trouble with Stoudemire's knees
Associated Press
April 1, 2006

The MRI examination on Amaré Stoudemire Thursday showed inflammation in the hamstrings and calves of both legs — but continued healing and no complications with his surgically repaired left knee.

The NBA Finals start June 8th, which is more than NINE weeks since the scope on the right knee, and EIGHT MONTHS since the microfracture.

I'd be willing to bet any Suns trip to the finals will coincide with a TRUE willis reed-like farewell appearance for 'ol #32. I say this because Amare Stoudemire has too much heart to be able to take watching his team in the NBA FINALS knowing he's so close to being ready to go.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the chemistry factor--this team has played 100 games without Amare, to just throw him in there for the most important stretch of the year isn't usually the best idea.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Don't underestimate the chemistry factor--this team has played 100 games without Amare, to just throw him in there for the most important stretch of the year isn't usually the best idea.

totally agree. i'm not saying he'd trot out there and log 30 minutes...more like 5-10. at this point, it's not much more than a shot in the arm to tell the team 'hey, i'm here, and even I am willing to put everything on the line right now'. ideally, he'd be in the game during the times nash sits and his function would be to pull shaq out for his jumper. defensively, tim thomas would be on shaq and amare would be great help coming off haslem for the constant 2x team. however, when you play shaq, foul trouble is always a possibility. alright, i'm breaking this down WAY too much considering the chances of getting there at all are not high.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Agreed, but I would like to have him available for at least limited minutes.

IMO, he is a much more valuable weapon for the Suns team due to his athleticism than KT. I'm not knocking KT but he is just not the athlete or talent Amare can be. Amare can cause the interior of another team's defense to collapse when he gets the ball inside. KT is just not a go to player.

It would be nice.. just once, for the Suns to have all their options available.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Maybe just having him dress would be a factor. At least in Game 6...

I agree. It might just unbalance AJ a little more, give him one more thing to worry about. That can only be good. Sort of like the psychology of deterrence--the threat does the damage without having to fire a shot....

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Tank said:
Also it looks like he is on the way up. I'm pretty sure he would already have the ball above his head if he was at the peak of his jump... :D

Yeah, my guess is that he's on the way up too--the ball is too low. Sorry to be such a damned optimist....;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without restating my comments as well some other posters, why isn't Amare trying to play a few minutes now, at least in a reserve role?

Is it is because his knees are bad or not healed... or just because he hasn't told the Coach, he wants to give it a try? It's not like Amare should be risking further serious injury to his knees and he has already made a boat load of money from the Suns and his shoe contract.

He might be able to get in better playing condition with more time, but I don't think it's reaslistic to believe his knees are going to get much better than they are now.

The mental aspect of Amare not playing is really starting to bother me. There must be more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

10 minutes off the bench will not kill their chemistry. Lord knows the Suns could use another big off the bench.