Wis Hires New DB Coach

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How was his relationship with Hamlin?:D

You mean soon to be unrestriced free agent safety Ken Hamlin?

Well, if the Cards go after him in free agency and he can't wait to get here, then we made a good hire decision. On the other hand, if Hamlin says no way then perhaps we mad a poor hire decision.:shrug:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marmie? Yes! Holmgren is indeed stupider than we thought.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
marmie had to do soemthing good in order to get the jobs he did. anyway let the seahawks have him. a divisional foe coach is just as good as divisional foe free agent signing. he should know the players habits and weaknesses in the seahawks secondary. know all the calls that the seahawks make. this is an awesome signing.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I thought they had a good scheme against us this year jamming our wr's then playing under with saftey's over the top. He's better than solomon

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0119cards0119.html

Secondary coach hired for staff

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 19, 2007 12:00 AM

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt made some headway in assembling his coaching staff Thursday, hiring Seattle secondary coach Teryl Austin for the same job.

Austin is the first coach to join Whisenhunt's staff, although it appears others will follow in the next few days.

Austin coached the Seahawks secondary for the past four years, and spent 12 years coaching at the collegiate level before that. He was not under contract for 2007, and Seattle was willing to let him go.

"Seattle had tremendous success in the four years he was there," Whisenhunt said in a statement released by the team. "They made the playoffs every season, won the division the last three, advanced to the Super Bowl and he was a contributor to that success. He has also developed a strong reputation for his work with young players, not only in Seattle but also at the college level."

The composition of Whisenhunt's staff hinges on his old employer, the Steelers. If the Steelers promote assistant head coach Russ Grimm, most of the Steelers staff is likely to return.

If the Steelers hire either of the other two finalists, Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin or Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, most of the staff likely will be allowed to seek other employment.

Whisenhunt asked for the Steelers' permission to interview three current staff members. The Steelers denied the request to talk to receivers coach Bruce Arians and linebackers coach Keith Butler. They granted Whisenhunt permission to talk to special-teams coach Kevin Spencer, and he could join the Cardinals staff soon.

Whisenhunt is interested in hiring Arians as offensive coordinator, but he's expected to be promoted by the Steelers should Grimm get the job.

Whisenhunt has interviewed the five assistants who have been retained from Dennis Green's staff. Defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast, is expected to be on Whisenhunt's staff. Rick Courtright, defensive quality control coach, could be hired to assist Austin with the secondary.

The fate of the other three coaches, offensive line assistant Steve Loney, assistant head coach/linebackers Frank Bush and receivers coach Mike Wilson, is not yet known.
The Cardinals recently denied the Texans permission to interview Bush, according to NFL sources. That will change if Whisenhunt elects not to keep Bush on his staff. Houston wanted to hire Bush last year as defensive coordinator, but the Cardinals denied them permission to interview him then, too.

Wilson is not expected to be kept by Whisenhunt.

According to NFL sources, Cleveland offensive line coach Jeff Davidson is expected to interview with the Cardinals this week, and Whisenhunt has some interest in former Carolina offensive line coach Mike Maser.

The Panthers recently fired Maser, so he would be able to interview immediately.

Davidson, a former Patriots assistant, was promoted to assistant head coach last off-season and called plays in the final 10 games in 2006 after offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon was fired. Davidson has interviewed for the Browns' coordinator position but is not certain of getting it.

Cowboys receivers coach Todd Haley, a friend of Whisenhunt's, also is expected to get some consideration to be a member of Whisenhunt's staff. But Haley is under contract for 2007, and the Cowboys generally deny permission to interview coaches under contract.

The Steelers, meanwhile, aren't expected to hire a coach until at least next week. They reportedly would like to interview Rivera again, but they can't talk to him until the Bears are out of the playoffs. If the Bears advance to the Super Bowl, the Steelers will then have to decide if they want to wait two more weeks to speak to him again.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I know Davidson was behind the Pats O line. But, the Browns have been horrible in the trenches the last two years. That would be a hire I wouldn't understand.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Man, Carolina's offensive line has been mediocre at best. I think Loney is better than that turkey. There is a reason, Carolina fired him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Jeff Davidson is from Ohio State so you know he has to be good. Actually, it's hard to get a read on his abilities because Cleveland's OL has been beat up so badly.The same thing about his OC duties. They had Derek Anderson and Charlie Frye at QB. HOw good can an offense be with those guy at the helm?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Davidson is from Ohio State so you know he has to be good. Actually, it's hard to get a read on his abilities because Cleveland's OL has been beat up so badly.The same thing about his OC duties. They had Derek Anderson and Charlie Frye at QB. HOw good can an offense be with those guy at the helm?

"With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, The Cleveland Browns select................... Brady Quinn qb Notre Dame".

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
"With the 3rd pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, The Cleveland Browns select................... Brady Quinn qb Notre Dame".

I agree. If he's there, he has to be their pick. I think they may set Lake Erie on fire again if they would pass on him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like any other head coach, Whis will hire coaches he likes and is comfortable with. Personally, the only assistant I want retained is Loney. Just so the oline can have some dang continuity. But, that won't be the case it seems. I not excited by Whis' assistant choices so far, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge either. I am disappointed that it appears they are not even looking at another option besides Pendergast for DC.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that Loney deserves another chance .. I would like to see what he could do with some more talent and moving Big to guard ...

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I not excited by Whis' assistant choices so far, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge either. I am disappointed that it appears they are not even looking at another option besides Pendergast for DC.

Well, they tried to interview the LB coach from the Steelers. If Whisenhunt can't get the guy that he's most comfortable with, he might as well kept the coach that the players are comfortable with. I mean, if KW and CP are on the same page and CP knows the organisation and the players, why bring in a 3rd option.

That's the way I see it anyway... Pendergast was the #2 option behind Butler (isn't that his name?). Steelers wouldn't allow Butler to interview with us, so CP stays.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they tried to interview the LB coach from the Steelers. If Whisenhunt can't get the guy that he's most comfortable with, he might as well kept the coach that the players are comfortable with. I mean, if KW and CP are on the same page and CP knows the organisation and the players, why bring in a 3rd option.

That's the way I see it anyway... Pendergast was the #2 option behind Butler (isn't that his name?). Steelers wouldn't allow Butler to interview with us, so CP stays.

Do we know Whis wants Butler for DC?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like any other head coach, Whis will hire coaches he likes and is comfortable with. Personally, the only assistant I want retained is Loney. Just so the oline can have some dang continuity. But, that won't be the case it seems. I not excited by Whis' assistant choices so far, but I'm not going to jump off a bridge either. I am disappointed that it appears they are not even looking at another option besides Pendergast for DC.

If they were keeping Pendy for sure, he would be announced as staying by this point. I think it's clear Whiz has someone in mind, probably on the Steelers, and is waiting that out to see what happens and if he can get his first choice.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Davidson was behind the Pats O line. But, the Browns have been horrible in the trenches the last two years. That would be a hire I wouldn't understand.

Haven't they been really injured though too? They brought in Bentley and he got hurt immediately.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they were keeping Pendy for sure, he would be announced as staying by this point. I think it's clear Whiz has someone in mind, probably on the Steelers, and is waiting that out to see what happens and if he can get his first choice.

He's already on staff, why would they announce anything? Somers and Urban both say he's expected to stay on as DC. I don't think they are looking at anyone else. IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's already on staff, why would they announce anything? Somers and Urban both say he's expected to stay on as DC. I don't think they are looking at anyone else. IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

They would announce it to stop any speculation, it's running rampant all over the place (not just on our board). The only reason to NOT announce that Pendy is staying as DC is that Whiz has his eyes on one or two other people he can't interview yet.

Somers and Urban are likely grasping at straws. They weren't very in-tune during the coaching search, and it's unlikely they are going to be in-tune for the assistant coaching search, either. IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They would announce it to stop any speculation, it's running rampant all over the place (not just on our board). The only reason to NOT announce that Pendy is staying as DC is that Whiz has his eyes on one or two other people he can't interview yet.

Somers and Urban are likely grasping at straws. They weren't very in-tune during the coaching search, and it's unlikely they are going to be in-tune for the assistant coaching search, either. IMO.

Yeah, if Pendy stays on in those circumstances, it will be much more palatable. I still want to see him gone, but at least it wouldn't be a matter of Whiz being forced to keep him.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Yeah, if Pendy stays on in those circumstances, it will be much more palatable. I still want to see him gone, but at least it wouldn't be a matter of Whiz being forced to keep him.

Sounds like with his recent interview on Rome that he's gotten a lot of interest from AC's who want to coach here.

I hope this leads to someone other than Pendy comming out of the blue, that would be good IMO.