With Edge and Shipp resigned, would we take Peterson?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Harsh K9...

I here what your saying about competition but there are arguments for both sides.

Who did Larry Allen block in college?
Who was covering Jerry Rice in college?

It's very easy to judge a player at a position from a college where there have been positive or negative results in the NFL.

Wisconsin OL...but Michigan and Ohio St. have turned out some good ones and they play the same Big 12 DE's.

I like Thomas because he seems smart, willing, and super athletic. That along with performance on the field translate to success. To what degree he is successful is another story...at the very least he should be a solid starter in the NFL for 10 years but I don't think he is Pace or Ogden.

Neither Jerry Rice nor Larry Allen were Top 10 picks in the NFL Draft, either. When was the last time a Michigan or Ohio St. OLT been drafted in the Top 5? Why? Because they don't handle the same quality of DL that SEC guys or even Pac 10 guys play against. Say what you will about Pac 10 defenses, but those guys know how to get after a passer.

Robert Gallery seemed smart, willing, and super athletic, too. I just don't see the greatness in Thomas. He hasn't had to play anyone, and his team played a zone blocking scheme that we're not likely to use here. I'm sorry if I'm a little nervous about taking another player from the school that Wendell Bryant and Ron Dayne attended with the 5th overall pick in the draft, especially considering the level of competition.

It's different when scouting other Big 12 positions, like WR and CB, where there are some of the best players in the nation. But OL? Maybe on the interior (I liked Dave Baas as a prospect when he came out two years ago, but not as much as others here), where the Big 12 does have great DTs, but not on the end.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mandarich was super hyped up on steroids...how can you compare the two?

I think your wrong...JMHO.

I compared them on the NFL success level, not the college level (and I think roids or not, Mandarich was a better OL than Thomas).

The Cards will long for the days of Big false starting if they draft Thomas.

JMHO

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
No...but we really are talking about talent not draft position.

The #5 pick is a risk no matter who we pick.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
4. Quality OTs are not harder to come by than quality RBs. That's just plain wrong. I can name 10 top OTs off the top of my head:

Orlando Pace
Walter Jones
Chris Samuels
Tarik Glenn
Bryant McKinnie
Jonathan Ogden
John Tait
Flozell Adams
Marvel Smith
Levi Jones
Jamaal Brown

But doesn't that list proves my point better than yours. The lowest picked player on that list was picked 38th overall. The top 10 RBs last season were drafted in all rounds:

LaDainian Tomlinson - 1st
Larry Johnson - 1st
Frank Gore - 3rd
Tiki Barber - 2nd
Steven Jackson - 1st
Willie Parker - Undrafted
Rudi Johnson - 4th
Brian Westbrook - 3rd
Chester Taylor - 6th
Travis Henry - 2nd

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No...but we really are talking about talent not draft position.

The #5 pick is a risk no matter who we pick.

Okay. I think that Adrian Peterson is more talented that Joe Thomas by every possible measure. Part of what we're talking about is talent. Part of what we're talking about is value.

People are saying that 31 NFL teams were stupid for passing on Marcus McNeill, but they forget that he had serious back concerns coming out of college, and just because he had an outstanding rookie year doesn't mean that those concerns are going to go away. It was those concerns that gave people pause when deciding whether they were going to invest eight figures in the guy.

I think that Adrian Peterson, Gaines Adams, and Jamal Anderson are all better prospects that Joe Thomas. One of the factors behind that opinion are the level of competition that Thomas has faced, which I think is inferior to those other three players.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's different when scouting other Big 12 positions, like WR and CB, where there are some of the best players in the nation. But OL? Maybe on the interior (I liked Dave Baas as a prospect when he came out two years ago, but not as much as others here), where the Big 12 does have great DTs, but not on the end.

It's ok you can name me. :D

I badly wanted Baas, still do, but it sure appears like he was overrated since Tony Wragge is ahead of him on the SF depth chart./

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Gotcha...

One other thing that I look for is a 4yr starter(Thomas) vs a 1yr wonder(J. Anderson)...the Jr who blasts onto the scene from nowhere is scary.

Not to say I don't like Jamaal...I think he could be a more complete DE than Gaines.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect that there are many Cards fans who would like to see just what you suggest. For myself however I really hope we don't see Levi Brown in a Cards uni ... and I highly doubt that Kalil will make it out of the first round.

"Jim Hart" with 17 posts! That's so cool, you need to stop right there and switch to a different user name! :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Gotcha...

One other thing that I look for is a 4yr starter(Thomas) vs a 1yr wonder(J. Anderson)...the Jr who blasts onto the scene from nowhere is scary.

Not to say I don't like Jamaal...I think he could be a more complete DE than Gaines.

Yeah, but Mario Williams was much the same way. For what it's worth, I trust Arkansas homer John H when he says that Anderson's been a beast every game for the Razorbacks. He's an early entrant, but I think he's worth the risk.

I think that people see a position of need and decide that they love a player, especially when we're talking about the Cards. I see it with Kalil and Thomas this season. I saw it with Rolle two years ago. I saw it with Jay Cutler last year. If this team actually tried to fill its holes, we wouldn't be in the position of having to hope that someone we need falls to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05