With Edge and Shipp resigned, would we take Peterson?

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
On Cold Pizza, they had a reporter from Cleveland discussing the team and the upcoming draft, and while she could be talking strictly from speculation, she seems to think that if Quinn is there (or Russel) at #3 they would probably take a QB.

So assuming the 2 qb's are gone, Thomas is gone, and Johnson is gone when we draft, would we pursue Peterson or draft elsewhere/move since we've resigned Shipp and still have J.J. on the roster?

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
If both QBs are gone #1 and #2 (highly unlikely) I can't imagine Cleveland would not take either Thomas or Peterson.

But there have been reports that other teams (Atlanta and Jets) have been contacting Cleveland in hopes of moving up to #3. The odds that those teams want AP are very high.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So assuming the 2 qb's are gone, Thomas is gone, and Johnson is gone when we draft, would we pursue Peterson or draft elsewhere/move since we've resigned Shipp and still have J.J. on the roster?

If that is the scenario I think we would take Gaines Adams.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If AP is there and we don't want him, we'd trade down a few spots targeting Levi Brown, IMO.

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
If AP is there and we don't want him, we'd trade down a few spots targeting Levi Brown, IMO.

Trading down in that scenario would be a very wise thing to do IMO. I wouldn't want us trading down and grabbing Brown ... but trading down could be very effective for us.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
you gotta trade down

Peterson is going to be a good back and some team hopefully will make it in the Cardinal's favor to trade down. I like James, Shipp and Arrington...they looked a lot better when the OL started getting its act together towards the end of the year....which makes one question why did we let '
false start' Davis go with all our cap space?

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Unfortunately for us... Big's false start phenomenon always SEEMED to be at the most crucial times and either negated a big gain, or took us out of a postive situation...for the money he was going to get as a franchise player, I think that would be a poor ROI considering this has been his MO since he came here...I wish him well (as much as you can wish anyone who is a COWGIRL), but I think it is time to move on with the Big questions...maybe Grimm could have made him worth the investment, but I think it is more about Big's concentration and his focus than it is on his skillset.

And for the record...I feel that passing on AP would turn out to be a mistake, and one we would read about on this board for a long time...JJ can be traded for SOME value potentially, but JJ is not = to AP by any stretch considering as of now the only thing we have to go on is POTENTIAL!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We cant say what will happen because we have no idea how Whiz works. Personally, I would move down a few spots and take Laron Landry or Levi Jones, and get an extra 2nd rounder. Then instead of having just Peterson, Adams, Branch or Anderson we could have one of the two I mentioned plus R. Kalil or Joe Staley. JMO.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Peterson is going to be a good back and some team hopefully will make it in the Cardinal's favor to trade down. I like James, Shipp and Arrington...they looked a lot better when the OL started getting its act together towards the end of the year....which makes one question why did we let 'false start' Davis go with all our cap space?

I think they must prefer a LT that allows 1 sack per game over 1 false start a game....

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
We cant say what will happen because we have no idea how Whiz works. Personally, I would move down a few spots and take Laron Landry or Levi Jones, and get an extra 2nd rounder. Then instead of having just Peterson, Adams, Branch or Anderson we could have one of the two I mentioned plus R. Kalil or Joe Staley. JMO.

I would suspect that there are many Cards fans who would like to see just what you suggest. For myself however I really hope we don't see Levi Brown in a Cards uni ... and I highly doubt that Kalil will make it out of the first round.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was precisely the example used today on KTAR when Wolf & Co. quizzed Wiz on whether he'd adhere to the Best Available Athlete philosophy if Peterson was still on our board.

KW was appropriately vague; suggesting it was a possibility but also hedging that he believed the Cardinal front office weighted their player ratings so that players were ranked as to which ones represented the best fit with overall Cardinal organizational values and not just on pure talent.

Note - Wiz was also asked flat out if he planned to trade up to grab Thomas even if we picked up an OT like Gandy. It seemed to me that he implied that (a) we wouldn't trade up to #2 to get him "because there figure to be a lot of talent still there at #5" but (b) if one of them happened to be Joe Thomas, he wouldn't rule out drafting him.

Wiz did emphasize the importance of the Cardinals filling any major roster holes in free agency so that we wouldn't have to "draft for need."

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
That was precisely the example used today on KTAR when Wolf & Co. quizzed Wiz on whether he'd adhere to the Best Available Athlete philosophy if Peterson was still on our board.

KW was appropriately vague; suggesting it was a possibility but also hedging that he believed the Cardinal front office weighted their player ratings so that players were ranked as to which ones represented the best fit with overall Cardinal organizational values and not just on pure talent.

Note - Wiz was also asked flat out if he planned to trade up to grab Thomas even if we picked up an OT like Gandy. It seemed to me that he implied that (a) we wouldn't trade up to #2 to get him "because there figure to be a lot of talent still there at #5" but (b) if one of them happened to be Joe Thomas, he wouldn't rule out drafting him.

Wiz did emphasize the importance of the Cardinals filling any major roster holes in free agency so that we wouldn't have to "draft for need."

Better get started then.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

They are out to a flying start there. We are having players visiting that aren't considered starting material. With the exception of Hood and Kelly none have scotuing reports that sound like anything special. Reading Johnson's and comparing it to Leckey, I'd take Leckey, and Gandy??? Ugh, people didn't like BIG they won't like Gandy since he is about 2 steps down as a player.

On a side note, I just hate that nickname "Wiz" seems so wimpy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Hooray! Cardinals footbal: Meet the new boss; same as the old boss!

If we pass on Adrian Peterson even if Joe Thomas is still on the board, it will be difficult for me to continue being a fan of this franchise.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score

If we pass on Adrian Peterson even if Joe Thomas is still on the board, it will be difficult for me to continue being a fan of this franchise.

I don't 100% agree with your first comment, passing on AP I agree would be a big mistake!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:fans: :band: :thewave:

J/K :D

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

Why?

You're perhaps the biggest supporter of the BPA approach on the board. I haven't seen one ranking where Peterson is ranked ahead of Thomas.

Thomas is ranked ahead of Peterson.
We're set at RB with Edge and Shipp, but could use all the help at OT we can get.
Quality OTs are much harder to find than quality RBs

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Joe Thomas miraculously falls to us at #5 and we don't take him, I might have to go on a killing spree.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Why?

You're perhaps the biggest supporter of the BPA approach on the board. I haven't seen one ranking where Peterson is ranked ahead of Thomas.

We're set at RB with Edge and Shipp, but could use all the help at OT we can get.

Most draft outlets I've seen have Calvin Johnson, far and away, #1, with Joe Thomas #2. Peterson is 3rd or 4th, depending on where they put Jamarcus Russell.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If Joe Thomas miraculously falls to us at #5 and we don't take him, I might have to go on a killing spree.

I really think he will fall to us...

We will get our player again to fill our biggest need out of pure dumb luck!

And in typical Cardinal tradtion, he will turn out to be Tony Mandarich. JK

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why?

Because I think that Adrian Peterson is a better prospect than Joe Thomas. I'm not enamored with Joe Thomas the way many on this board are. Why?

1. Wisconsin hasn't produced a OL NFL prospect since Al Johnson, who hasn't done anything in his 4 years in the league. Chris McIntosh was the last first round OL pick before that. Perhaps SeaChicken can come on here and explain how that's worked out for them.

2. It's impossible to tell how good Thomas is, because he hasn't faced anyone. Who are the feared pass rushers in the Big 10? Who'd he have to block against? Robert Gallery looked really good against similar talent in Iowa. How did that work out?

3. I think that Adrian Peterson is a better running back prospect than Reggie Bush was. He'll be the best running back in the NFL sooner rather than later. There's nothing he can't do when he's healthy. He'll be more healthy in the NFL because he'll be in a more balanced offense.

4. Quality OTs are not harder to come by than quality RBs. That's just plain wrong. I can name 10 top OTs off the top of my head:

Orlando Pace
Walter Jones
Chris Samuels
Tarik Glenn
Bryant McKinnie
Jonathan Ogden
John Tait
Flozell Adams
Marvel Smith
Levi Jones
Jamaal Brown

And these are just the guys on the left side.

On the other hand, it's really difficult to name 10 RBs that you can just throw into a lineup and expect them to gain 1200-1300 yards. LDT, Deuce McAllister... Tiki Barber's gone. Maybe Shaun Alexander comes back next season at 100%. Steven Jackson.

I'm sorry, but won't Edge be 29 or 30 when this season starts? You can't depend on him for the next 4 years. And Shipp, frankly, is a shadow of his former self, and his former self wasn't even that good. Passing on a possible Franchise RB because you were too cheap to plug the OLT hole you created in the offseason would be an inexcusable mistake by this front office.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really think he will fall to us...

We will get our player again to fill our biggest need out of pure dumb luck!

And in typical Cardinal tradtion, he will turn out to be Tony Mandarich. JK

Doesn't matter who takes him. Joe Thomas = Tony Mandarich

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Because I think that Adrian Peterson is a better prospect than Joe Thomas. I'm not enamored with Joe Thomas the way many on this board are. Why?

1. Wisconsin hasn't produced a OL NFL prospect since Al Johnson, who hasn't done anything in his 4 years in the league. Chris McIntosh was the last first round OL pick before that. Perhaps SeaChicken can come on here and explain how that's worked out for them.

2. It's impossible to tell how good Thomas is, because he hasn't faced anyone. Who are the feared pass rushers in the Big 10? Who'd he have to block against? Robert Gallery looked really good against similar talent in Iowa. How did that work out?

Harsh K9...

I here what your saying about competition but there are arguments for both sides.

Who did Larry Allen block in college?
Who was covering Jerry Rice in college?

It's very easy to judge a player at a position from a college where there have been positive or negative results in the NFL.

Wisconsin OL...but Michigan and Ohio St. have turned out some good ones and they play the same Big 12 DE's.

I like Thomas because he seems smart, willing, and super athletic. That along with performance on the field translate to success. To what degree he is successful is another story...at the very least he should be a solid starter in the NFL for 10 years but I don't think he is Pace or Ogden.