Wk 1 Arizona Cardinals @ Washington Commanders Pre-Game Thread. 8/26/23-9/09/23

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It seems reckless to predict the Cardinals to win. I honestly have no idea how this game will go. A win seems plausible, getting blown out seems plausible…I think the only scenario I can’t envision is the Cards flat out dominating.

It’s week 1 so naturally optimism will be running at an all time high. But can we really expect Dobbs to execute at a high level considering they JUST signed him?

My guess is the game plan will be to “muddy” it up by running the ball a ton in an attempt to win the time of possession (while simultaneously protecting Dobbs from throwing too many passes and potentially turning the ball over).

For my sanity I’m going into this game with zero expectations and hope I end up pleasantly surprised.

As a side note, if they start the season 0-4 or 1-3 the season will be all but over and I wonder if that will lead the team to really take their time on K1’s return. On the flip side, if they can go exceed expectations and go 2-2, all of a sudden I think they’ll feel the pressure to debut K1 asap.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with as horrendous a season that I believe we will have, I give us about a 10% to chance to win this game. I don't believe in their QB situation.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
33-10 Washington. Our D is worse than last year. Washington will run on our D with ease. Tough start for our Cardinals.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're all too sure in your pessimism.

There are dozens of unknowns in this game on both sides.

Can Sam Howell lead a team? Can he perform when the pressure is on?

Is the offense with Eric Bieniemy? There are rumors of discontent?

Can Bieniemy call a game well under pressure now he's an OC? (Similar questions on the Cards side)

And a dozen more on the Cards side. I'm more optimistic about the defense than many here. It's not only the ingredients but the Chef that's cooking them.

There are so many unknowns in this game that the score could be anything.

Screw it, I'm going to be the loan voice of optimism and say 24-21 Cards. It's as likely as anything else.

Last edited:

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can actually see us winning the game comfortably. We will play hard for JG et al. But then I can see us losing pretty much all the remaining seasons games once injuries mean we have to rely on our non existent depth at certain positions

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think your all too sure in your pessimism.

There are dozens of unknowns in this game on both sides.

Can Sam Howell lead a team? Can he perform when the pressure is on?

Is the offense with Eric Bieniemy? There are rumors of discontent?

Can Bieniemy call a game well under pressure now he's an OC? (Similar questions on the Cards side)

And a dozen more on the Cards side. I'm more optimistic about the defense than many here. It's not only the ingredients but the Chef that's cooking them.

There are so many unknowns in this game that the score could be anything.

Screw it, I'm going to be the loan voice of optimism and say 24-21 Cards. It's as likely as anything else.
One big question is how will Bienemys offense function without a guy named Mahomes elevating everyone around him. Stop the run and make Howell beat us throwing the ball.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm riding with my bold prediction that the Cards are winning outright this week.

23-21

AZ will get 2 TD's (1 possibly coming off of a great ST or Defensive play)...Prater will hit 3 out of 4 FG attempts...the last coming in the final 2 minutes of the 4th qtr...The AZ defense will be on the field at the end.