Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Theo Mackie
@theo_mackie
·
1h

Two defensive standouts from the first day in pads: Rookie corner Max Melton and second-year defensive lineman Dante Stills.Melton impressed on a few snaps against Marv. Stills got home for two sacks, the only notable pressure all day.
That is good news for Stills, but the rest of the line is very bad news for the team. Good thing we signed top interior DL that can rush the...er, wait, we don't have those.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That is good news for Stills, but the rest of the line is very bad news for the team. Good thing we signed top interior DL that can rush the...er, wait, we don't have those.
I'm kind of excited for Stills potential. He looks to be a serviceable pass interior pass rusher on a cheap contract.

Throw in Darius Robinson and the talent is improving, but I think the front seven is still two players away from being solid.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm kind of excited for Stills potential. He looks to be a serviceable pass interior pass rusher on a cheap contract.

Throw in Darius Robinson and the talent is improving, but I think the front seven is still two players away from being solid.
Stills was a huge positive surprise last year. Darius is a big ? and I hope he provides some interior push. Overall, however, the front seven is still more than two players away from being solid in the pass rush. In run defense? Perhaps. They don't yet (hopefully Ojulari becomes the guy) have any edge rush and don't have any good interior rush either. The pass rush is pretty dire.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Stills was a huge positive surprise last year. Darius is a big ? and I hope he provides some interior push. Overall, however, the front seven is still more than two players away from being solid in the pass rush. In run defense? Perhaps. They don't yet (hopefully Ojulari becomes the guy) have any edge rush and don't have any good interior rush either. The pass rush is pretty dire.
How many actual pass rushers do you think most teams are throwing out on pass rushing downs? Sure every guy can be considered a pass rusher, even Barron Tanner, but I'm talking about guys who's main strength is getting to the QB.

Stout

Reaction score
How many actual pass rushers do you think most teams are throwing out on pass rushing downs? Sure every guy can be considered a pass rusher, even Barron Tanner, but I'm talking about guys who's main strength is getting to the QB.
Most teams don't have a good, consistent pass rush.

I'm simply talking about guys good enough to get to the rusher with consistency. We don't need just 1 or 2 more guys to get to that point. Thus far, we have none until proven otherwise. Stills may become the guy that can start at DT and get consistent inside pressure, but that's a big leap. Ojulari? Maybe he becomes the edge we need, but to me that's a lot of hopium. Darius? He's our best short, IMO.

Right now, our pass rush is beyond putrid and a lot needs to go right, and then we need more players, to get to where we have a good, consistent pass rush.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I wonder how much DL are really going in padded practices, especially this early? Obviously OL vs DL is the most physical battle on the pitch, the most exhausting and the most likely to lead to injury.

I think if was me I'd be worried about wear and tear and wouldn't be going 100%. Not all the time anyway. Does that make sense?

Stout

Reaction score
Sure it’s nice to line up 4 linemen and just crush the pocket like the 49ers and sone other teams. But with two good safeties and cb’s their are other ways to get pressure. Let’s hope they can, cannot be worse than last year. Can it?
A putrid pass rush will leave the secondary on an island and the secondary will get shredded. If we had a decent or average pass rush, I could agree with you. We do not.

Stout

Reaction score
Oh Kyler, don't say stupid ish when you get this kind of flack. Let it flow past you like water off a duck's back and ignore it. Reading that ish, I could hear posters talking about how good a baseball player or high school football player he is, as if any of that matters. The only thing that matters is your play with the Cards, Kyler. And it ain't been anywhere near good enough. There are clear reasons you've been questioned for your work ethic, and ""For me to be where I am and do the things that I’ve done, not only in this sport, but in other sports, no one’s done it..." is just cringe worthy.

At least he appears to be doing what he needs to be doing now. Better late than never. But reading crap like this and posters crowing about his stupid extension being a "steal" now is just galling. I'm cautiously optimistic about the kid moving into the year, but him babbling this crap and others lecturing me on how great a deal his extension was is tipping me to the negative column again.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh Kyler, don't say stupid ish when you get this kind of flack. Let it flow past you like water off a duck's back and ignore it. Reading that ish, I could hear posters talking about how good a baseball player or high school football player he is, as if any of that matters. The only thing that matters is your play with the Cards, Kyler. And it ain't been anywhere near good enough. There are clear reasons you've been questioned for your work ethic, and ""For me to be where I am and do the things that I’ve done, not only in this sport, but in other sports, no one’s done it..." is just cringe worthy.

At least he appears to be doing what he needs to be doing now. Better late than never. But reading crap like this and posters crowing about his stupid extension being a "steal" now is just galling. I'm cautiously optimistic about the kid moving into the year, but him babbling this crap and others lecturing me on how great a deal his extension was is tipping me to the negative column again.
Dude can’t defend himself?

C’mon now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Most teams don't have a good, consistent pass rush.
Ok.
I'm simply talking about guys good enough to get to the rusher with consistency. We don't need just 1 or 2 more guys to get to that point. Thus far, we have none until proven otherwise.
Eh this isn't quite right. A pass rush is the cumulative effort of a number of players, not just a Micah Parsons or a Myles Garrett.

I remember the days of Simeon Rice getting double digit sacks but no one else consistently getting any pressure.
Stills may become the guy that can start at DT and get consistent inside pressure, but that's a big leap.
He doesn't have to start. He can play 50% of the snaps and get 18 pressures and help the team immensely. Add two more guys and you've got some pass rush.
Ojulari? Maybe he becomes the edge we need, but to me that's a lot of hopium. Darius? He's our best short, IMO.
It's hopium based on pedigree. Ojulari led the SEC in pressures and was a highly thought of player. He had more sacks than every other player drafted before except Anderson.
Right now, our pass rush is beyond putrid and a lot needs to go right, and then we need more players, to get to where we have a good, consistent pass rush.
Why I don't have too much hope is that the Cardinals need multiple players to be productive to get the pass rush right this season and that rarely happens.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat