Would You Trade Josh Jackson for Lonzo Ball?

Would You Trade Josh Jackson for Lonzo Ball?

• Total voters

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons the media puts Jackson as a trade piece for Ball is because his salary works.

Also if the trade doesn't work out, the next two seasons of his contract are team options. A lot of upside for the Pelicans if Jackson blossoms and not any downside especially if a first round pick is included.

Instead, I'd prefer if the Suns try and trade for a player like Tyus Jones at the trade deadline, hopefully for a second round pick and filler. There must be some other players that become available like this.

I do not want the Suns to trade a key piece because they are losing.

The Suns best chance to fill the point guard position is likely this summer.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Josh does this. Plays well for a little while and gives you hope, and then he throws it away again. JJ is going to have to be good for a long period of time for me to believe he has actually turned a corner. He is still a short armed wing who can't shoot well.

Jackson's shooting is a problem, but it's his jaw-droppingly stupid decision-making that will be his crippling weakness.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jackson's shooting is a problem, but it's his jaw-droppingly stupid decision-making that will be his crippling weakness.
Yeah. That too.

My thought is that if we can get a decent return for JJ, we probably ought to take it. Its just that its a stretch to consider Lonzo a decent return.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Yeah. That too.

My thought is that if we can get a decent return for JJ, we probably ought to take it. Its just that its a stretch to consider Lonzo a decent return.

Agreed. I'd probably do TJ for Lonzo and fillers, and the only reason is because I think TJ doesn't have much more upside and he doesn't move the needle at all. Lonzo is still an upgrade over Melton/Okobo.

JJ should be packaged for a legit PF.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's say we get the #2. Would you rather have Lonzo Ball with no Josh Jackson, or Ja Morant with Josh Jackson? I know what my answer is.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Is there a Lavar Morant?

I'd take Morant even though I realize there is bust potential there. But no way would I trade Jackson for Ball. My primary interest in Lonzo has to do with what I consider a fair price, I don't want him if he's going to cost us Josh.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it was obvious. Ja Morant.

For the Suns, this is a 2-player draft. Everything else is a trade chip.
This is true, but there is not guarantee that Morant is actually going to turn out to be a good NBA player.

He is athletic and can distribute. He is not a very good shooter and his defense is suspect. He is also playing against small school talent. I am trying to figure out how much better he would be than say, Eric Bledsoe. In fact, Morant and Ball are very similar players except Ball is a better defender. I am not saying this because I value Ball highly. Its just that draft picks are usually highly over rated.

I think its a one player draft right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is true, but there is not guarantee that Morant is actually going to turn out to be a good NBA player.

He is athletic and can distribute. He is not a very good shooter and his defense is suspect. He is also playing against small school talent. I am trying to figure out how much better he would be than say, Eric Bledsoe. In fact, Morant and Ball are very similar players except Ball is a better defender. I am not saying this because I value Ball highly. Its just that draft picks are usually highly over rated.

.512 FG% and .323 3pt% this season. Doesn't really scream "not a very good shooter" to me. Leads the country with 10.3 APG, which, small school or not, is pretty impressive. It means his teammates aren't that great, yet he has high assist numbers and almost certainly makes them better than they really are. 2.0 steals per game as well.

I don't know--sounds exactly like someone we'd want.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Give me Jackson/Morant.

Seems to me Morant is a similar player that looks to be slightly better shooter without the father problem. It’s a no brainer IMO.

P.S. Ball is unproven IMO as well....still.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Give me Jackson/Morant.

Seems to me Morant is a similar player that looks to be slightly better shooter without the father problem. It’s a no brainer IMO.

P.S. Ball is unproven IMO as well....still.
You do realize there’s like a 1/8 chance of the Suns getting Morant?

The odds of the Suns striking out in the draft AND free agency are much higher.

If the Suns don’t trade for a PG now I’d say there’s a 50/50 chance they start next season in the same boat.

I don’t know if Ball is the answer but the Suns do have a small amount of leverage. Ball says he doesn’t want NO but he’d be ok with the Suns. The Lakers desperately want to trade for AD now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If NO is getting Kuzbass and Ingram why do they need another forward from the Suns?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Morant is all but guaranteed to be a bust, and I would STILL take Morant and Jackson over Ball.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize there’s like a 1/8 chance of the Suns getting Morant?

The odds of the Suns striking out in the draft AND free agency are much higher.

If the Suns don’t trade for a PG now I’d say there’s a 50/50 chance they start next season in the same boat.

I don’t know if Ball is the answer but the Suns do have a small amount of leverage. Ball says he doesn’t want NO but he’d be ok with the Suns. The Lakers desperately want to trade for AD now.

What are the odds you get anything additional out of Ball!?

I think you overestimate those odds. The point I was making is IF you had the opportunity for an either or scenario I know which way I would go.

The odds are long IMO that Ball and his positives will ever outweigh the negatives. If that is likely I will take my odds in the draft or free agency.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What are the odds you get anything additional out of Ball!?

I think you overestimate those odds.
No idea. I’ve watched Ball a little bit. He makes some highlight reel plays but his shot is horrendous.

Got to be better than nothing.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, where did you get that?

In the second scenario, you have Jackson and the pick is used to draft Morant. In the first scenario, you swap Ball for Jackson but dont mention how the pick is used. It's not Jackson/Morant vs Ball. It's Jackson/Morant vs Ball/#2 pick.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In the second scenario, you have Jackson and the pick is used to draft Morant. In the first scenario, you swap Ball for Jackson but dont mention how the pick is used. It's not Jackson/Morant vs Ball. It's Jackson/Morant vs Ball/#2 pick.

Traded most likely. The Suns aren’t adding another teenager to this team unless it’s Mount Zion.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake