Xavier Thomas article…

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re due for some good luck hopefully he is it….

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We’re so for some good luck hopefully he is it….

He just looks like a pro. The athleticism and tenacity is just obvious when you watch him play. He's been my favorite player this preseason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re due for some good luck hopefully he is it….

Man, it would be great if Thomas was some kind of breakout hit.

Have the Cardinals ever had a really late round (like 5th and lower) Guy end up a star? If so, my mind is definitely starting to leave me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Antonio Smith and Steve Breaston were fifth rounders.

Justin Bethel and Andre Ellington in the 6th.

LSH in the 7th.
None of those guys were stars.

Smith and Breaston were good role players. Bethel a great STer and atrocious CB. Ellington flashed for one season and Howling was a good STer and not much else.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A fifth rounder who makes a Pro Bowl is more than just a solid starter. Too bad he became that player at the end of his time with the Cardinals.

He made the Pro Bowl as a replacement for an injured player in a year he had 6.5 sacks about 4 years after he left Arizona.

The NFL does not publish how they choose alternates, but it's certainly not the next on the list in voting. Tyler Huntley made the Pro Bowl as an alternate after playing 2 games.

He was a good player but I'd argue no better than Markus Golden. Smith's best year was 7 sacks and 19 QB Hits, Golden has 3 seasons better than that.

Cheese's point was pretty clear, no way anyone mentioned here is a star. There's no Jason Kelce, George Kittle or Antonio Brown's in our history.

The best value in Cards draft history probably comes from UDFA's where we got good starters but not stars out of guys like Tony Jefferson, Kwamie Lassiter, Lyle Sendlein and Ronald McKinnon, but this franchise is bereft of late round stars.

I wonder if there is any other team in the league that doesn't have a single one in their history? Although, the Cardinals are bereft of drafted stars from any round in the draft compared to most teams.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bethel and Smith went to the pro bowl
Bethel went to the pro bowl as a special teams ace. His play at corner left a lot to be desired. We had Green Bay put away in that playoff game before Bethel decided to just run around aimlessly on 4th and 20 instead of covering his man.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean he looks ok, but he is not going to be a superstar. I am happy we drafted him, but he is not going to be more then a 6-9 sack guy.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, it would be great if Thomas was some kind of breakout hit.

Have the Cardinals ever had a really late round (like 5th and lower) Guy end up a star? If so, my mind is definitely starting to leave me.

I can't think of any that ended up "Stars"

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I mean he looks ok, but he is not going to be a superstar. I am happy we drafted him, but he is not going to be more then a 6-9 sack guy.
Odds are that you're right. Maxx Crosby had a double-digit sack season his sophomore year and then 7.5 sacks his junior year before coming out. He fell in the draft because he was a small-school guy with a lack of refinement.

Thomas hasn't seen double-digit sacks since John McCain died. But hope springs eternal.

Sigh.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Odds are that you're right. Maxx Crosby had a double-digit sack season his sophomore year and then 7.5 sacks his junior year before coming out. He fell in the draft because he was a small-school guy with a lack of refinement.

Thomas hasn't seen double-digit sacks since John McCain died. But hope springs eternal.

Sigh.
Continued hope is the 2025 EDGE class looks legit. #NextYear

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Continued hope is the 2025 EDGE class looks legit. #NextYear
catch 22...we have to suck enough to get a difference maker... but we really wanna win... hopefully the edge depth will be deep enough to sneak into the lower twenties in the draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
catch 22...we have to suck enough to get a difference maker... but we really wanna win... hopefully the edge depth will be deep enough to sneak into the lower twenties in the draft.
As of now, I think the front 5 defensive talent (DL and EDGE) will span all areas of the first round. That is why I like it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As of now, I think the front 5 defensive talent (DL and EDGE) will span all areas of the first round. That is why I like it.
agree. Big Blue is contributing a couple nice IDL guys...seen an early mock that had us going that route...and I wasnt mad...
Robinson is legit...put in a legit DT and Robinson could be really productive at DE