Yellow Flag on Michael Floyd

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger, guys...

I was listening to Bob Kemp yesterday afternoon while driving around. Here were his Cardinal notes from the day:

• Kevin Kolb is clearly the most mechanically consistent quarterback on the roster right now.
  • There were too many balls hitting the ground at Fan Fast Wednesday night, and he's heard that has been an issue throughout offseason work.
  • Michael Floyd is really struggling. At fan fest he lined up on the wrong side of the field. Kemp said that he's heard from people around the team ("both media members and employees of the Cardinals") that Floyd has been disappointing so far and really needs to step up his game.

I've been preaching patience with Floyd since we drafted him, but I don't think that he's going to be an immediate starter like a lot of people here do. I think we'll see Andre Roberts and Early Doucet as the top 3 WRs along with Fitz, and then Floyd will move to the outside in 4 WR sets in the role that we saw with Steven Williams a couple of years ago. At least for the first half of the season maybe more.

I think that 65 receptions and 850 yards is about the ceiling that we should expect for Floyd his first year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think that 65 receptions and 850 yards is about the ceiling that we should expect for Floyd his first year.

Not surprised in the least. Haven't liked the pick at that spot since the speculation about picking him started.

BUT, even if Floyd can give us 50 catches are so, he still will help this offense tremedously, IMHO. Just hate the posibility of our 1st round pick having "role player" talent. Is what it is at this point. I think a yellow flag is a good symbol. Cause the silver lining is there is A LOT of time for Floyd to learn and improve. Again, he is still going to help this offense, IMO.

A little salt in the wounds ? Sure. The talk is Reiff is impressing in Detroit.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At least he hasn't been arrested for a DUI.

I've been upfront about how much I disliked picking Floyd from the start, but I'm willing to give him some time. As the old adage goes, receiver is one of the hardest positions to learn. I'm confident Fitz won't let him stay behind for long. If he's still lining up on the wrong side midway through the season, I'll be worried.

Also, 65 catches for 850 yards would eclipse Fitz's numbers from his rookie year. I would be ecstatic if Floyd came through with that kind of production this season.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I was listening to Bob Kemp yesterday afternoon while driving around. Here were his Cardinal notes from the day:

• Kevin Kolb is clearly the most mechanically consistent quarterback on the roster right now.
  • There were too many balls hitting the ground at Fan Fast Wednesday night, and he's heard that has been an issue throughout offseason work.
  • Michael Floyd is really struggling. At fan fest he lined up on the wrong side of the field. Kemp said that he's heard from people around the team ("both media members and employees of the Cardinals") that Floyd has been disappointing so far and really needs to step up his game.

I've been preaching patience with Floyd since we drafted him, but I don't think that he's going to be an immediate starter like a lot of people here do. I think we'll see Andre Roberts and Early Doucet as the top 3 WRs along with Fitz, and then Floyd will move to the outside in 4 WR sets in the role that we saw with Steven Williams a couple of years ago. At least for the first half of the season maybe more.

Tend to agree, based on what I've been reading. AZCentral had an article saying he was #4 in the depth chart and that they're "moving him along at his own pace", which is never a positive. Means they're only giving him what he can handle--in small, bite-size chunks. Even Fitz's comments--something along the lines of "he'll be fine"--weren't encouraging. Fitz is always over the top with his praise of much lesser talent--to me, that was a warning flag.

I was all for the signing, but for a #1 I want to hear that he's like a sponge with the playbook and other players glowing about his abilities and work ethic. Fleming, so far, has gotten higher praise. So has Massie.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
When was the last time a WR from Notre Dame not named, "Tim Brown" met or exceeded expectations in the NFL?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Tend to agree, based on what I've been reading. AZCentral had an article saying he was #4 in the depth chart and that they're "moving him along at his own pace", which is never a positive. Means they're only giving him what he can handle--in small, bite-size chunks. Even Fitz's comments--something along the lines of "he'll be fine"--weren't encouraging. Fitz is always over the top with his praise of much lesser talent--to me, that was a warning flag.

I was all for the signing, but for a #1 I want to hear that he's like a sponge with the playbook and other players glowing about his abilities and work ethic. Fleming, so far, has gotten higher praise. So has Massie.
Why is it everyone that Fitz wants tends to blow chunks?:bang::bang::bang:

seesred

Reaction score
IMO Floyd will be a star in the NFL. Larry is mentoring him and Floyd is followinhg around and at home. I saw Wednsday night make some fantastic catches. If Kemp was even watching there is no doubt that Skelton was on target more than Kolb and has a much nstronger arm. There was one series that Kolb over threw Larry for A OPEN td. Then he hit the ground with the next throw and had the very next throw batted down.

Bob kemp is not always right!

GBR

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
At least he hasn't been arrested for a DUI.

I've been upfront about how much I disliked picking Floyd from the start, but I'm willing to give him some time. As the old adage goes, receiver is one of the hardest positions to learn. I'm confident Fitz won't let him stay behind for long. If he's still lining up on the wrong side midway through the season, I'll be worried.

Also, 65 catches for 850 yards would eclipse Fitz's numbers from his rookie year. I would be ecstatic if Floyd came through with that kind of production this season.

However, don't forget Fitz was battling a high ankle sprain his entire rookie season.

Kevin Kolb is clearly the most mechanically consistent quarterback on the roster right now.

Too bad this isn't figure skating.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
ump the brakes, fan man, pump the brakes, He has not had enough time to meet or defeat expectations.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt you were listening to Bob Kemp since his show is the morning show

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lined up on the wrong side!

Clearly, he's back into the hooch.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I agree we should jump off a cliff after a fan fest showing.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

1- Not surprising to hear that about Kolb. It is Skelton biggest flaw. Skelton is poor mechanically which is why he struggles with his accuracy. If Skelton was consistent mechanically, Kolb would be 2nd on the depth chart.

2- I'm not sweating Floyd yet. There are others players I would have preferred instead, but many rookie WRs struggle when transitioning to the NFL. If he is motivated, it will eventually come.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I highly doubt you were listening to Bob Kemp since his show is the morning show

I don't get it... You think I'm making this up? Kemp is on from like 9-1 or something--hardly morning drive (that's DP Show). I was moving down the road a skotsh, so I was in and out of the car all morning.

Didn't see the report on here. One corroboration for me is that the silence on Floyd from the local guys has been DEAFENING.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the main problem is that Floyd is being held to the standards of previous early round picks such as Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

Its ridiculous to act like hes "struggling" because he is expected to.

Theres a report that the 49ers 1st rounder, AJ Jenkins, is currently 5th on their depth chart and falling.

Remember back when Andre Roberts couldnt buy a catch his rookie year?

It goes on

The guy is not, and was never supposed to be some 1200 yard receiver. He is here to draw attention away from Larry, provide excellent blocking and be a big body red zone/short range target. All of which I am confident he will excel at.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it... You think I'm making this up? Kemp is on from like 9-1 or something--hardly morning drive (that's DP Show). I was moving down the road a skotsh, so I was in and out of the car all morning.

Didn't see the report on here. One corroboration for me is that the silence on Floyd from the local guys has been DEAFENING.

Should be pretty easy to confirm since Kemp podcasts all his shows.

I listen to Bob Kemp daily and I haven't heard anything negative about Floyd. The afternoon shows are Bertrand Berry and Roc and Manuch.

You are very precise in Kemp's criticism. Exactly when was this during the day? You said afternoon so I can only assume it is in the third hour?

Last edited:

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Well on the flip side, it was just recently when we thought Stephen Williams and DeMarco Sampson looked great in camp but they struggled in real games.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Urban has written that Floyd hasn't been impressive but Floyd's strenghts should go on display when the pads are on because Floyd's strengths are power and leaping ability and not super quick cuts in and out of breaks.

I will add that until a player gets comfortable with the playbook they play a bit slower because they are thinking instead of just playing. It's the rationale/excuse/hope that many, including myself have used for Kolb and Skelton.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The guy is not, and was never supposed to be some 1200 yard receiver. He is here to draw attention away from Larry, provide excellent blocking and be a big body red zone/short range target. All of which I am confident he will excel at.
1st bold - Did we need to spend a 1st rounder on a decoy with Ingram still available?
2nd bold - Isn't that what Larry is for?

I think this story is a non story until TC starts. However, I will always hate the pick and wonder why we didn't add to our thin pass rushing corp.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Trust me don't worry about Floyd. He's a damn hard worker, has Fitz to guide him, and is a gamer. Meaning using his rookie OTAs and Fan Fest as a barometer of his future career is really really useless.

All he does is catch Touchdowns. Just wait until games start.

FWIW I actually agree he won't be starting by Game 1. But that says more about the way Wiz handles rookies and how good I think Doucet is.