Nurk thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second tweet, he shared this tweet. Someone was quick on the artwork for him.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That was fast. Had to be one of those convert to art filters. Glad to see he is excited.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love the nickname too. We had the Polish Hammer, Dominayton debacle, and now we have the Bosnian Beast.

All said and done, I don't know how much further ahead Ayton is than Gortat as all time Suns centers. There is time for Nurkic to snag the "Best Suns Center Ever" title over the duration of his contract though. Not sure if that speaks to Nurk's talent or the Suns woes. Probably more the latter.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love the nickname too. We had the Polish Hammer, Dominayton debacle, and now we have the Bosnian Beast.

All said and done, I don't know how much further ahead Ayton is than Gortat as all time Suns centers. There is time for Nurkic to snag the "Best Suns Center Ever" title over the duration of his contract though. Not sure if that speaks to Nurk's talent or the Suns woes. Probably more the latter.
I doubt Nurkic holds down the starting job beyond this season.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I doubt Nurkic holds down the starting job beyond this season.
With this owner I wouldn't be surprised if we upgraded at Center - but for the time being we only need Nurkic to focus on two things

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who's he going to lose it to?

Who knows... Eubanks? Someone we sign for the min next summer..?

I don't think much of Nurkic, mediocre through and through and obviously isn't the player he was a few years ago. I don't think it would take much of a slip in his production for him to end up as a reserve.

I get the idea of Ayton being irredeemable in the eyes of the organization after bailing in the last 2 playoffs, but this trade was getting 10 cents on the dollar. A low tier starting center on a bad contract and in decline, 2 prospects that have been hardly playable thus far and one of the most hated players in the league.

I think we should have tried to up Ayton's value during the season and traded him after Dec 15th when a lot more of the league is moveable.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't think much of Nurkic, mediocre through and through and obviously isn't the player he was a few years ago.

I agree with "mediocre," by the standards of NBA starting centers. But statistically, he hasn't lost anything over the last few years. What are you seeing? Only twice in his career has he managed more than 65 games in a season.

I don't think it would take much of a slip in his production for him to end up as a reserve.

By any measure, he's a top-20 center in the league. The Suns have no path to getting another center of that caliber anytime soon.

A low tier starting center on a bad contract and in decline, 2 prospects that have been hardly playable thus far and one of the most hated players in the league.

He's on a good contract, owed an average of $18.1 million over the next three years. That's less than Cam Johnson makes, and Nurkic is only a year and a half older than Johnson is.

I think we should have tried to up Ayton's value during the season and traded him after Dec 15th when a lot more of the league is moveable.

The Suns have been trying to unload Ayton for a while. The Lillard trade was the opportunity, so that meant now.

Nurkic is what he is, which is to say a competent, decidedly unspectacular starting center. But that already puts him in select company. He misses a lot of games due to injury, but so do most players these days.

Last edited:

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am done pouting about not getting enough in the trade.

On board the Nurkic train and welcome his physicality and toughness. If he can at least be healthy in the playoffs, he may be able to help us get past Denver.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with "mediocre," by the standards of NBA starting centers. But statistically, he hasn't lost anything over the last few years. What are you seeing? Only twice in his career has he managed more than 65 games in a season.

By any measure, he's a top-20 center in the league. The Suns have no path to getting another center of that caliber anytime soon.

He's on a good contract, owed an average of $18.1 million over the next three years. That's less than Cam Johnson makes, and Nurkic is only a year and a half older than Johnson is.

The Suns have been trying to unload Ayton for a while. The Lillard trade was the opportunity, so that meant now.

Nurkic is what he is, which is to say a competent, decidedly unspectacular starting center. But that already puts him in select company. He misses a lot of games due to injury, but so do most players these days.

He should be paid a lot less than Cam Johnson. Cam Johnson is a two way player at a premium position.

Centers with broken bones in their legs, calf problems, plantar fasciitis age like skim milk.

I really don't see him lasting long as our starter. He misses far too much time and even when healthy he simply isn't all that good. I think the top priority next summer will likely be to upgrade our post play, either via another trade or hoping someone takes a discount to win.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen the comparison here, but Nurkic is very similar to Jokic in build and playing style. I'm not saying that he's as good as Jokic by any means, but when healthy he can probably give the Suns 50-75% of what Jokic does. That sounds pretty appealing. After seeing Denver steam roll the NBA with Jokic last year, it's not hard to see what the Suns brass see in Nurkic.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nurkic's stats in 2019 were better than any year of Ayton's career.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't seen the comparison here, but Nurkic is very similar to Jokic in build and playing style. I'm not saying that he's as good as Jokic by any means, but when healthy he can probably give the Suns 50-75% of what Jokic does. That sounds pretty appealing. After seeing Denver steam roll the NBA with Jokic last year, it's not hard to see what the Suns brass see in Nurkic.

Nurkic really changed his game lately by adding a 3 ball. He makes good reads and is an excellent screen setter. He's going to be someone who doesn't bog down the offense. I saw someone else mention before that management likely got tired of seeing Booker trapped passing to an open DA in the midrange and either DA fumble the catch or go nowhere. Nurkic will make the right read when he gets it.