Nurk thread

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not surprised Embiid plays him better given Embiid is an MVP and he and Jokic are so far above any other C in the league.

Gobert is a little surprising but also not. He's a 3x DPOY but he's always such a non factor offensively that it's easy to forget how much he impacts games with just his defense.

Not making excuses. I said what I did and don't mind being corrected but I was speaking a bit more generally than in absolutes. Should have chosen my words better. I do need to check out that site more but I'm afraid I'll lose days on there going down various statistical rabbit holes. Thanks for that info, again.
To be fair, I think the spirit of the statement you made is somewhat true, in that relative to their abilities/stats/salaries, Nurkic plays Jokic better than anyone. Of course, that's a lot harder to quantify and open to interpretation a bit.

Also, I do not expect everyone to be diving into stats for everything, but I do enjoy trying to find answers to some of the more nebulous questions/statements out there, even if sometimes they are difficult to find supporting data for.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nurk has been looking better and better. I am still skeptical he will stay healthy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Nurk has been looking better and better. I am still skeptical he will stay healthy.
I get that. He is one of only three guys that have played in every game for the Suns, which include Okogie and Goodwin.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Interesting that his assists are down so dramatically. It feels like Nurk and KD connect on at least 1 backdoor play a game, but they also have at least 1 miscue where they botch that backdoor. I always see them talking to each other after, but can't seem to read the body language to know what the convo is about. Curious to see if they can work out those kinks as the season goes on.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Interesting that his assists are down so dramatically. It feels like Nurk and KD connect on at least 1 backdoor play a game, but they also have at least 1 miscue where they botch that backdoor. I always see them talking to each other after, but can't seem to read the body language to know what the convo is about. Curious to see if they can work out those kinks as the season goes on.

You had me at "backdoor" and "kinks."

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Probably has more to do with Booker returning and taking over most of the play making duties.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What's odd is those stats beluga the eye test. He had a MONSTER game against Denver. We may see more of that if teams continue to try and double Booker and KD.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
if mods want to change title to nurk appreciation thread id appreciate it

we've learned a lot about big nurk this year - mostly that he doesn't back down and doesn't mind doing the dirty work all alone at times surrounded by 2 or 3 opponents in the paint

that he's pretty freakin smart and understands movement - knows how to utilize his size and when to quit shooting the 3 lol

the frustrations with nurk are the frustrations that come with most big men - usually happening when he has the ball below his waist in the paint - also can't defend the graceful centers of the league as well - but when you lead the team in +/- and are out producing the previous guy - not to mention the durability this year - that's good stuff

we traded ayton for 2 starters which is amazing considering his trade value at the time but i had no clue nurk was going to fit in like this - but the second i saw him turn around and back down an undersized opponent - instead of settling for a 12 foot jumpshot - i knew we had something

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love how Nurk's double doubles have flown under the radar most of the season. He's had plenty, he's an exceptional rebounder so that side is covered. I find it funny how double doubles were used to hype up Ayton's contributions though while they're an underappreciated achievement of Nurkic's. Overall I'm happy with the deal. Nurkic frustrates me less than Ayton and makes half his salary. Different expectations and Nurkic has exceeded almost all of mine while Ayton never really hit any of the expectations we had of him, especially as a max player.