Suns sign Tyus Jones

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's listed as 6'4 here https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealro01.html and that is what his height looked like to me when I saw him next to other Suns. My intention is not to lie, that is truly what I believe his height to be.

With the twolves I guess you are correct, but Jaden McDaniels plays a ton, as does Naz Reid. We already had a problem with them being too big for us and that was before replacing Grayson with Tyus.
Fair enough. However, we are not going to add any more size right now that will make a difference unless we trade someone. Anyone we sign now would be so far down on the depth chart as to be inconsequential. To me, if you wanted to add someone who is a big, who can shoot, who plays D (as per your critiques of our other players), you would have to dangle someone like Grayson Allen out there as trade bait.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns had the most stellar off-season possible, considering they didn't trade away any high quality players and had very little money to work with. The top 10-12 players on the team seem to all possess at least one elite skill. I don't think we could make that same claim last season. As Proximo pointed out, we will still suffer against tall athletic scoring wings. But I like our chances against everyone else. Hate to lose Allen, but I think the writing is on the wall (having acquired 2 quality PGs). His minutes might now be diminished a bit. And I think he is one of the few they can trade in search of a quality wing who can score and defend.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's listed as 6'4 here https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealro01.html and that is what his height looked like to me when I saw him next to other Suns. My intention is not to lie, that is truly what I believe his height to be.

With the twolves I guess you are correct, but Jaden McDaniels plays a ton, as does Naz Reid. We already had a problem with them being too big for us and that was before replacing Grayson with Tyus.
While you’re not wrong in regards to the size differential being an issue, one thing replacing Grayson with tyus does is create a mismatch in the opposite direction. Hear me out . . .

When a team has a size mismatch on your team the obvious counter is to have your small guys take the big guys outside where they are at a disadvantage. In today’s nba the spacing afforded by 3 point shooting creates small-to-big mismatch opportunities. But in order to take advantage of those the small has to be capable of not only hitting the 3 to lure the big out, but also capable of taking a big off the dribble. One of the shortcomings of almost all of our “smalls” other than book and beal is that they’re fine shooters but subpar ballhandlers. As a result we can’t reverse the mismatch on other teams bigs. Tyus and Morris DO possess that ability. So replacing Allen with tyus should give us a reverse mismatch that we didn’t have before. Allen was surprisingly more effective attacking closeouts than I expected, but he doesn’t really have the handles to take a defensively positioned player off the dribble, no matter their size. Tyus does.

It was one of my lamentations last season. We were small, but we weren’t equipped to for our smalls to take bigs off the dribble. Okogie, bol, oneale, little, Allen don’t possess that ability. Substituting tyus or Morris for them means we go smaller, but we were already small. Now it gives us an advantage at the other end.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I look at it, the Suns have improved their talent immensely this off season, but they will still need more size for the playoffs.

I look at rosters much like I do the draft, add the best player available and worry about the rest later. The Suns have done just that by prioritizing talent first.

Yes, they will likely need to tweak their roster by adding another forward or center, but they have positioned themselves to do this prior to the trade deadline.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I look at it, the Suns have improved their talent immensely this off season, but they will still need more size for the playoffs.

I look at rosters much like I do the draft, add the best player available and worry about the rest later. The Suns have done just that by prioritizing talent first.

Yes, they will likely need to tweak their roster by adding another forward or center, but they have positioned themselves to do this prior to the trade deadline.
Yep, I'm thinking the plan is to add some size at the trade deadline when we really know what we're working with.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nice touch for the players and their families.

What helped Phoenix win on the margins to sign Tyus Jones?

Bartelstein said the Suns and Mercury spent $2 million on family space in the arena. The franchises have added staffing for concierge services to help new hires and their partners look for houses and schools. It gets down to something as simple as helping them with a dinner reservation, Bartelstein said.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting Hoopshype article before Tyus Jones signed with Phoenix. He wanted a starting position, he wanted to play on a better team than the Wizards, and he wanted to get paid. No team other than the Suns could offer two of the three.

He has been pegged as the best back up pg in the league for some time now. If he was ever going to be seen as a legit starter, he had to make that move now. It explains why he left money on the table for the opportunity to start with the Suns.

Our starting line up will be Tyus, Beale, Book, KD, and Nurk. Book is now a SF. He can handle that spot on offense, I am not sure about defense.

I am interested in seeing how good this coach is.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fair enough. However, we are not going to add any more size right now that will make a difference unless we trade someone. Anyone we sign now would be so far down on the depth chart as to be inconsequential. To me, if you wanted to add someone who is a big, who can shoot, who plays D (as per your critiques of our other players), you would have to dangle someone like Grayson Allen out there as trade bait.
Yes, that is what I expect - however I doubt we get the same quality of forward as Grayson, but it feels like that move is now likely.

But even if they do that I don't think that is enough size to solve our problems.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I expect - however I doubt we get the same quality of forward as Grayson, but it feels like that move is now likely.

But even if they do that I don't think that is enough size to solve our problems.
Our best bet is to develop the young bigs we have. By bigs, it seems like you are specifically talking about pf. The NBA isn't so much like that any more. There are basically three positions. Lead guard, wing, and big. Teams will usually play one lead guard, two wings and two bigs or three wings and one big. Some teams play with two lead guards, but its sorta rare. I think the Suns will do the second option most of the time.

SG, SF, and PF have melded into just "wing". It is all about matchups within that category.

We have a few players that are "wing/big tweeners". KD, Bol, and Oso. Nurk and Plumlee are bigs in my categories.

I think we had the same vocabulary but a different dictionary.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We still have that 2031 pick, plus Grayson's salary is in a better range to get a decent big.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Nice touch for the players and their families.

What helped Phoenix win on the margins to sign Tyus Jones?

Bartelstein said the Suns and Mercury spent $2 million on family space in the arena. The franchises have added staffing for concierge services to help new hires and their partners look for houses and schools. It gets down to something as simple as helping them with a dinner reservation, Bartelstein said.
That’s fantastic. That’s the kind of stuff teams can do that doesn’t count against the cap right?

Something Sarver would never have done.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That’s fantastic. That’s the kind of stuff teams can do that doesn’t count against the cap right?

Something Sarver would never have done.
Jerry C was a legendary salesman of the Suns. Tom Chambers has a funny story about how Jerry got him poolside as a free agent, gave him some drinks, and convinced Tom they needed to call the agent and get the deal done for him to come to Phoenix. A lot of guys in Jerry's time talk about how he convinced them to come to the Suns. That's back when Phoenix was way smaller and didn't have the things we have now. He was very well respected. Then Sarver happened. Then Phoenix lost its luster as a destination for free agents. Sarver was stubborn about not seeking Jerry's advice. Ishbia comes in and one of the first things he does is meet with Jerry. So glad we are getting back to being a destination again.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jerry C was a legendary salesman of the Suns. Tom Chambers has a funny story about how Jerry got him poolside as a free agent, gave him some drinks, and convinced Tom they needed to call the agent and get the deal done for him to come to Phoenix. A lot of guys in Jerry's time talk about how he convinced them to come to the Suns. That's back when Phoenix was way smaller and didn't have the things we have now. He was very well respected. Then Sarver happened. Then Phoenix lost its luster as a destination for free agents. Sarver was stubborn about not seeking Jerry's advice. Ishbia comes in and one of the first things he does is meet with Jerry. So glad we are getting back to being a destination again.
Server was extremely arrogant. He did build a new practice facility after Trevor Ariza shamed the entire organization over it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Server was extremely arrogant. He did build a new practice facility after Trevor Ariza shamed the entire organization over it.
That is a nice facility. But Ishbia comes in and builds the best WNBA facility, improves on Sarver's redo of the Suns stadium, brings back a g League team Sarver dismantled, etc. in a tenth of the time of Sarver.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
That is a nice facility. But Ishbia comes in and builds the best WNBA facility, improves on Sarver's redo of the Suns stadium, brings back a g League team Ishbia dismantled, etc. in a tenth of the time of Sarver.
Short summary of these last few posts: Sarver was a horse's behind.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Short summary of these last few posts: Sarver was a horse's behind.
Just thinking if Sarver would have resigned Joe Johnson, and had the fates let us win a championship, we would STILL have Sarver. But being Sarver, he would never resign Joe Johnson.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
DAMN, only 1 post, had Tyus as a cheap pickup....BAM Suns get it done. Needed a strong PG, Morris off the bench.

Now get a big or two to come off the bench as well....Go get Okoro he would help, be cheap.
Hmm, read that as (Elie) Okobo. Not sure what to feel about that. Did he get good enough for the NBA? According to Wikipedia he's playing in the EuroLeague.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm, read that as (Elie) Okobo. Not sure what to feel about that. Did he get good enough for the NBA? According to Wikipedia he's playing in the EuroLeague.
I am confused. He said a big and mentioned Okoro--as in Isaac, I assume. Not sure how Okobo, got mentioned. I am not really interested in either one.

Reaction score
I am confused. He said a big and mentioned Okoro--as in Isaac, I assume. Not sure how Okobo, got mentioned. I am not really interested in either one.
Okoro would be a very good get for the Suns....the post was not clear however. I would like the Suns to get him and 1-2 bigs, sorry for confusion.

Bismack Biyombo, Cody Zeller, Orlando Robinson (young but good upside) and if you want to take a MAJOR outside the box move....check with Meyers Leonard.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They have not improved talent immensely.

Tyus Jones is a small upgrade to Gordon

Monte Morris is an upgrade - but probably will only play due to injury considering all the other guards ahead of him.

I am not expecting anything from the draft picks - literally nothing. I saw enough in summer league to see they are raw as hell.

The rest of the team is almost identical - the rest of the team that will get playing time anyway.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have not improved talent immensely.

Tyus Jones is a small upgrade to Gordon

Monte Morris is an upgrade - but probably will only play due to injury considering all the other guards ahead of him.

I am not expecting anything from the draft picks - literally nothing. I saw enough in summer league to see they are raw as hell.

The rest of the team is almost identical - the rest of the team that will get playing time anyway.
Talk about glass half empty!