Preseason Week 3 Roster Battles and Questions

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In 2023, the Cardinals used multiple TE sets on 29.7% of their offensive snaps. It was the 5th most used 12 and 13 combined packages in the NFL.

1 - Falcons - 49.6%
2 - Chiefs - 35.1%
3 - Packers - 33.2%
4 - Jaguars - 31.5%
5 - Cardinals - 29.7%

So while I do agree there is a possibility of an increase in multi TE usage, I don't believe the increase is a large one because we already use them at a high rate compared to the league.

As @BACH said there were 1653 TE snaps last year in total. I would expect that to be over 1700 this year.

Raiman likely only has to play 460 snaps of 1700 to pass 40% (1150 average offensive snaps) with only 2 other TE's taking significant snaps. Seems highly likely to me with no injuries. If Higgins or McBride miss games it looks almost certain.

And it's unlikely many of 12P snaps will have McBride and Higgins on the field. Whereas Reiman is likely to feature with both of them.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
To what end? RB is the easiest transition to make in the NFL; you probably want to find out if your third-round pick can’t play ASAP.

It’s not like we’re in between winning the division and a wild card spot right now; we’re striving for respectability.
Yes, if the goal is let's see what we have for a 2nd year in a row, you're probably right. That's a pretty depressing position.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1. McBride only played 60.2% of snaps after him taking over as the clear #1 TE (Week 8 and forward). There will be way more snaps to share than you estimate.

2. Depending on how Reiman develops, I think you are underestimating the upper limit of 12 personal. If you look above, I tried to break down the number of snaps of the TE group. Number of snaps by TEs increased 15% in the second half of the season.

3. Unrealistic comparison, but Pats had Gronk in 91% of snaps and Hernandez in 71% of snaps in the season where both played full season. NOT - Absolutely not saying that is going to happen, but just pointing out the bar is probably much higher that you indicate.
See my response to MadCard in regards to 2 and 3..

In response to 1...the below chart from PFR does not reflect 60.2% from week 8 on.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that to run multiple TE sets you need Multiple TEs.
Ok. Ertz was on the decline and Swaim was a limited player but both were established vets. Do we really think that Tip will be better in his rookie year than those two were last year? The rest of the room didn't change. Also, our 3 WR package looks a lot better this year than it did last year which will also impact multi TE packages.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok. Ertz was on the decline and Swaim was a limited player but both were established vets. Do we really think that Tip will be better in his rookie year than those two were last year? The rest of the room didn't change. Also, our 3 WR package looks a lot better this year than it did last year which will also impact multi TE packages.

Swaim had 337 snaps in 14 games which tracks for 408 over 17 and Raimann has basically taken over that role. He's the only guy on the roster who can take that role.

I'd think that was Raiman's floor.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carter's role is being good at making people miss and getting first downs. You can't find that anywhere. Meanwhile, half of the practice squads in the league have a RB as good as Demarcado. Why do we need two special teams only RBs?
You say this like Carter is prime LaDainian Tomlinson & Demarcado is NFL Trent Richardson.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know how good Tip will be his rookie year. I do believe that he will get ample opportunities to play as the blocking TE this season.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Swaim had 337 snaps in 14 games which tracks for 408 over 17 and Raimann has basically taken over that role. He's the only guy on the roster who can take that role.

I'd think that was Raiman's floor.
Outside of injury, I agree that 408 is likely the floor. I just think he has a higher probability to hit is floor than ceiling.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Ok. Ertz was on the decline and Swaim was a limited player but both were established vets. Do we really think that Tip will be better in his rookie year than those two were last year?
Considering Swaim is not on any team and Ertz clearly lost a significant step, I would actually tend to say yes. He already looks better as a blocker.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
No need to apologize. I am enjoying this because I do believe there is a chance you are correct. We just disagree on how likely that chance is (which is fine with me).
I quoted the wrong percentage, so my bad. :)

My number tells the number of TE snaps left on the field after McBride had his share last season. 660 snaps left for Tip and Higgins to share if the counts remains the same

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't know how good Tip will be his rookie year. I do believe that he will get ample opportunities to play as the blocking TE this season.
My guess is that the Cardinals will likely use more 12 personnel sets, less 13 personnel sets, and more 11 personnel sets in 2024. My guess is they will be as comfortable with the blocking of Wilson as they are with Higgins, and they won't want MHJ off the field. I would also expect Dortch to get more run in the offense which will lock in 65% rate of 11 personnel sets. Week 1 should be a nice gauge.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I quoted the wrong percentage, so my bad. :)

My number tells the number of TE snaps left on the field after McBride had his share last season. 660 snaps left for Tip and Higgins to share if the counts remains the same
Are you factoring in a better WR room at all? If the decision for usage/snap% comes down to taking Wilson or Dortch off the field to bring tip onto the field, do you think they will do that more than 40% of the time? (I am assuming the Cardinals will want McBride, MHJ, and 1 RB on the field as close to 100% of the time as possible).

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Carter's role is being good at making people miss and getting first downs. You can't find that anywhere. Meanwhile, half of the practice squads in the league have a RB as good as Demarcado. Why do we need two special teams only RBs?

If Demarcado special teams play really is indispensable, can't we just keep one fewer receiver? If we need a receiver past Jones, there is no real talent gap between the average practice squad WRs and Moore/Pascal. I doubt anyone would claim either if they were cut.

Considering the state of our roster I just can't get behind cutting a potential difference maker so we can hold onto a JAG. Just how bad is Carter at special teams?
The differentiator for Demarcado will be that he is the best pass blocker in the room, not his special teams ability (which is a plus, no doubt, but not why he'd end up making the team over Carter if that's what ends up happening).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Are you factoring in a better WR room at all? If the decision for usage/snap% comes down to taking Wilson or Dortch off the field to bring tip onto the field, do you think they will do that more than 40% of the time? (I am assuming the Cardinals will want McBride, MHJ, and 1 RB on the field as close to 100% of the time as possible).
Sucks that our developmental debates are centered around TE who traditionally develop slow...and CB who traditionally struggle as rookies.

But I really Like Tip.... I would consider 30 targets a good spot for him this season. Snaps is harder to judge... but Paris may take time to adjust to the left...maybe...and Williams has been less than stellar at RT. Both situations could preclude an increase in TE snap counts. Tip is basically an undersized OT with great speed. Dont be surprised if Petzing uses him as a third OT in some sets until the OLine gels.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To what end? RB is the easiest transition to make in the NFL; you probably want to find out if your third-round pick can’t play ASAP.

It’s not like we’re in between winning the division and a wild card spot right now; we’re striving for respectability.
Ahh. But at the moment we are tied for first. :)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sucks that our developmental debates are centered around TE who traditionally develop slow...and CB who traditionally struggle as rookies.

But I really Like Tip.... I would consider 30 targets a good spot for him this season. Snaps is harder to judge... but Paris may take time to adjust to the left...maybe...and Williams has been less than stellar at RT. Both situations could preclude an increase in TE snap counts. Tip is basically an undersized OT with great speed. Dont be surprised if Petzing uses him as a third OT in some sets until the OLine gels.

Looking at his athleticism at 271 lbs (combine weight) had me thinking the same thing. He wears that weight pretty well so it doesn’t seem like a forced bulk. Every year a GM falls in love with a reach so we can’t kill Monty yet for drafting a backup TE in the 3rd rd with arguably the least talented defense in the league. His hands at least in drills makes me think he doesn’t total bricks for hands:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In 2023, the Cardinals used multiple TE sets on 29.7% of their offensive snaps. It was the 5th most used 12 and 13 combined packages in the NFL.

1 - Falcons - 49.6%
2 - Chiefs - 35.1%
3 - Packers - 33.2%
4 - Jaguars - 31.5%
5 - Cardinals - 29.7%

So while I do agree there is a possibility of an increase in multi TE usage, I don't believe the increase is a large one because we already use them at a high rate compared to the league.
There's a lot of distance between 1st and 5th, I hope we make the change.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Looking at his athleticism at 271 lbs (combine weight) had me thinking the same thing. He wears that weight pretty well so it doesn’t seem like a forced bulk. Every year a GM falls in love with a reach so we can’t kill Monty yet for drafting a backup TE in the 3rd rd with arguably the least talented defense in the league. His hands at least in drills makes me think he doesn’t total bricks for hands:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He's all hopium and no realistic expectations. We're posting a combine video here. Everything in college screamed mere blocking TE. Which, hey, we need us some blocking TEs for sure. Should we have picked one in the 3rd round. Ehhhhh...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He's all hopium and no realistic expectations. We're posting a combine video here. Everything in college screamed mere blocking TE. Which, hey, we need us some blocking TEs for sure. Should we have picked one in the 3rd round. Ehhhhh...
I think it's also worth noting that Elijah Higgins isn't even dressing for these preseason games. I think he could be more involved than we expect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake