Cardinals cut list and new signings/trades

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It might even be worse than that? Zaven Collins (5.5 sacks in three seasons --- OOOF, 50 games) and Dennis Gardeck (14 sacks in 89 career games) make up 83% of the sack numbers.

Victor Dimukeje somehow had more sacks last season than Collins did (and more pressures than Beej???). My Gawd.

Jesse Luketa has yet to sack a quarterback as a pro and had 0.5 sacks in four years at Penn State. Yikes.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
It might even be worse than that? Zaven Collins (5.5 sacks in three seasons --- OOOF, 50 games) and Dennis Gardeck (14 sacks in 89 career games) make up 83% of the sack numbers.

Victor Dimukeje somehow had more sacks last season than Collins did (and more pressures than Beej???). My Gawd.

Jesse Luketa has yet to sack a quarterback as a pro and had 0.5 sacks in four years at Penn State. Yikes.
Actually. both Gardeck and Dimukeje have really good win and pressure %. Both have limitations for a starting role, but their output is way over par for a back-up pass-rusher. (I think Gardeck is better suited as a pure 3rd down role, not as a starter)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Actually. both Gardeck and Dimukeje have really good win and pressure %. Both have limitations for a starting role, but their output is way over par for a back-up pass-rusher. (I think Gardeck is better suited as a pure 3rd down role, not as a starter)
I don't trust pass rush win rate. I agree that Gardeck is probably above-replacement-level as a situational edge rusher -- kind of a homeless man's Bryce Huff. But he's already 30 and likely to decline.

Dimukeje I have to see more of. I think his numbers last year are more a result of "someone has to get the random coverage sack" and effort than nascent pass rush ability. He played 23 fewer snaps than Beej had the same amount of sacks and more pressures. He's a perfectly cromulent 5th edge for most teams.

I wonder if Zaven had something mechanically wrong with his pass rush last year. He had a ton of pressures but couldn't cash them in. Would expect him to have 6-8 this year based on just reversion to the mean.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are at $25 million today. We were at $36 yesterday. Injured reserve and PS salaries equal about the difference. It's a similar dip for most teams. Then there are the Browns, who restructured Watson to push money to next year. Odd!

Today
You must be registered for see images attach

Yesterday

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are at $25 million today. We were at $36 yesterday. Injured reserve and PS salaries equal about the difference. It's a similar dip for most teams. Then there are the Browns, who restructured Watson to push money to next year. Odd!

Today

Yesterday
Practice squad salaries are part of the salary cap? Even though they’re not on the active roster? Seems odd since the lowest numbered salaries at the bottom end of the roster don’t count.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Practice squad salaries are part of the salary cap? Even though they’re not on the active roster?
It appears that way according to Over the Cap. That's new to be, but the math adds up.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears that way according to Over the Cap. That's new to be.

I’ve literally been told on here multiple times that it’s only the certain number of top salaries count even the bottom end of the active 53 don’t count towards salary cap that their salaries drop off at a certain level so it’s weird that the practice squad would count

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve literally been told on here multiple times that it’s only the certain number of top salaries count even the bottom end of the active 53 don’t count towards salary cap that their salaries drop off at a certain level so it’s weird that the practice squad would count
Agreed! I always thought is was just the top 51 salaries. This is new to me too. Could be a newer rule and why so many teams sat off more than usual going into the season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's only in the preseason. When there are 90 players on the roster, only the top 53 count against the cap.

Once the season starts, every dollar you pay players goes against the cap.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's only in the preseason. When there are 90 players on the roster, only the top 53 count against the cap.

Once the season starts, every dollar you pay players goes against the cap.
I just didn't realize PS counted too since they aren't active players. I knew players in IR did though.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Two other points, we're 14 of 32 in active spending on the season, so average.

Also, a few teams have a week to get under the cap. Let's help one of these teams out and take an Edge Rusher off their hands!

Wow, 47 million dead money for the panthers.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Practice squad salaries are part of the salary cap? Even though they’re not on the active roster? Seems odd since the lowest numbered salaries at the bottom end of the roster don’t count.

They don't count when accounting for the top 51 in the offseason.

But at the end of training camp and the reduction to a final 53 + the PS, all contracts count against the Cap.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yes, I was listening to Scott Pioli the other day say that teams allow for approx $3.5 million for PS salaries against the cap. It looks like Cards are pretty much in line with that.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Even a trade wouldn't help them because it would accelerate bonus and create more dead money... they have to cut either young guys or vet minimum guys with limited bonus
They can restructure a few guys to get back under.