Depth Chart Concerns

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Unless the Cards have unprecedented few injuries, their depth chart is their biggest hindrance to achieving a winning season. I guess it’s not fair to expect them to fix everything in 2 years. Still I had hoped for a more substantial depth of support focused on the O-line. Seeing names like Gaines, Colon and Adams as primary backups tells me that injuries could easily derail this season. It’s fine to say the Cards aren’t expecting to compete for the playoffs. However, it’s not fine in my mind to once again potentially expose Murray to extreme pressure. They need to keep him healthy and avoid him becoming gun shy; always having to run for survival.

I’m also concerned about the receiving corps depth. I know Pascal is useful on special teams, but with Wilson having a concerning injury history I’m not reassured that Pascal is the answer if Wilson can’t play. I know Jones let the Cards down, but there was time to secure a better backup once he was suspended. Then there’s the idea of Dortch being the primary return guy. I thought that was why they acquired Dallas. I don’t understand that investment if they weren’t protecting Dortch. Weaver’s injury is the type that can linger. So getting Dortch hurt could cause a significant negative impact.

I’m not as worried on the defensive side. The pass rush concern remains high. That will put extra pressure on the secondary, but at least there is improved depth in that group. It will cost points, but maybe not discourage the younger players.

Overall this is certainly a deeper team than last season. Nonetheless it appears any hope for major improvement will rest on keeping the offensive first string on the field and finding some way to create a semblance of a pass rush.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Still I had hoped for a more substantial depth of support focused on the O-line. Seeing names like Gaines, Colon and Adams as primary backups tells me that injuries could easily derail this season.
The goal is obviously to develop Gaines and Adams so they’re ready to take over as cheap starters for a year or two. Colon and Beachum are acceptable depth for a team lacking Super Bowl aspirations.
That will put extra pressure on the secondary, but at least there is improved depth in that group.

This is incoherent alongside your OL critique. Maybe ST5 and Clark made quantum leaps this offseason; maybe Melton and the other corners are just real bad. We don’t know. Whether you have two D-minus players or five, bad depth is still bad.

The Cards have decided to put cheap young draft picks in a bunch of positions. Our potential for variance is extremely high because of that.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m confused how this is incoherent. There was money to address the pass rush and add O-line depth. As to the secondary it’s not only growth of the 2nd year CBs, but the addition of a ballhawk safety who can help in coverage. They’ve added 2 new CBs with good potential. The quality of the unit is speculation, but my assessment of the players encourages me to see opportunity for improvement.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unless the Cards have unprecedented few injuries, their depth chart is their biggest hindrance to achieving a winning season. I guess it’s not fair to expect them to fix everything in 2 years. Still I had hoped for a more substantial depth of support focused on the O-line. Seeing names like Gaines, Colon and Adams as primary backups tells me that injuries could easily derail this season. It’s fine to say the Cards aren’t expecting to compete for the playoffs. However, it’s not fine in my mind to once again potentially expose Murray to extreme pressure. They need to keep him healthy and avoid him becoming gun shy; always having to run for survival.

I’m also concerned about the receiving corps depth. I know Pascal is useful on special teams, but with Wilson having a concerning injury history I’m not reassured that Pascal is the answer if Wilson can’t play. I know Jones let the Cards down, but there was time to secure a better backup once he was suspended. Then there’s the idea of Dortch being the primary return guy. I thought that was why they acquired Dallas. I don’t understand that investment if they weren’t protecting Dortch. Weaver’s injury is the type that can linger. So getting Dortch hurt could cause a significant negative impact.

I’m not as worried on the defensive side. The pass rush concern remains high. That will put extra pressure on the secondary, but at least there is improved depth in that group. It will cost points, but maybe not discourage the younger players.

Overall this is certainly a deeper team than last season. Nonetheless it appears any hope for major improvement will rest on keeping the offensive first string on the field and finding some way to create a semblance of a pass rush.
I’m most interested in the play calling and how it will be use to further negate the pass rush.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Jones let the Cards down, but there was time to secure a better backup once he was suspended. Then there’s the idea of Dortch being the primary return guy.

Did Jones really let the team down if everyone knew about the incident that happened during the 2023 season? The Cardinals had to know there was a possibility that Jones would be suspended when they signed him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Did Jones really let the team down if everyone knew about the incident that happened during the 2023 season? The Cardinals had to know there was a possibility that Jones would be suspended when they signed him.
Agree. My understanding is the Cardinals signed him with clear knowledge of the situation. They just didn't seem to think he would get suspended for whatever reason.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’m confused how this is incoherent. There was money to address the pass rush and add O-line depth. As to the secondary it’s not only growth of the 2nd year CBs, but the addition of a ballhawk safety who can help in coverage. They’ve added 2 new CBs with good potential. The quality of the unit is speculation, but my assessment of the players encourages me to see opportunity for improvement.
didnt they address the oline depth with two free agents and two draft picks?...obviously williams was to replace Hump...but aside from that we needed a LG and we signed one... then drafted an OT and an OG... Gaines is developed talent,..we hope,...
IMO our biggest line issue is going to be RT...williams does not adequately replace Hump in the sum total

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
The Cards have decided to put cheap young draft picks in a bunch of positions. Our potential for variance is extremely high because of that.
Spot on. I feel this team has the biggest gap between potential high bar and potential low bar I have seen in this league.

We know the potential in those young picks is there. I think the young picks are really good fits to the system. But we still have zero to none clue how the result on the field is going to be

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
didnt they address the oline depth with two free agents and two draft picks?...obviously williams was to replace Hump...but aside from that we needed a LG and we signed one... then drafted an OT and an OG... Gaines is developed talent,..we hope,...
IMO our biggest line issue is going to be RT...williams does not adequately replace Hump in the sum total

???

Statistically, Williams was a better RT than Paris last season.

At this point, if the 'sum total' is short, it will be because Paris hasn't adequately replaced Hump.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
???

At this point, if the 'sum total' is short, it will be because Paris hasn't adequately replaced Hump.
???

uh,.... but dude.....Paris was already in the sum total from last year....

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The logic is incoherent.

You don't like the OL picks, so you ignore Beachum and say depth is bad.

You like the DB picks, so depth is actually good there.

It's fine, you can have your take, but you're starting with your conclusion and working your way back to it.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
???

Williams pressure rate was 8% last year while Paris's pressure rate was 3.7%. Are you sure Williams was better statistically?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

98.7 was really going at the o-line depth this morning. Look Ossenfort had a bad off season. Now part of that is going to be Bidwill with FA dollars but ultimately there are huge holes in the team and it's the GM's job to fix it.

That's why I am so irritated on the draft capital we wasted.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s way way way too early to say draft capitol was wasted. We haven’t even played a down of football and most experts say you can’t judge a draft on its whole till 2-3 years after the fact. Now we have people who are saying we wasted draft capitol before any have played a real down of football. Especially complaining about 3rd rounders where it’s known that about only 16% of 3rds become even average starters in this league. Really good ones the % is even lower. If Benson alone becomes a really good RB that’s a win in that round.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… I think Gannon even mentioned that the expected some kind of suspension.

Which means their attempt to get good WR depth is even more suspect than it already looked, especially considering the cap space they’re still sitting on.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah… I think Gannon even mentioned that the expected some kind of suspension.

Which means their attempt to get good WR depth is even more suspect than it already looked, especially considering the cap space they’re still sitting on.
or, I dunno...they considered the offense we actually run and determined that missing out on Zay Jones for a month wasnt really gonna hurt the team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98.7 was really going at the o-line depth this morning. Look Ossenfort had a bad off season. Now part of that is going to be Bidwill with FA dollars but ultimately there are huge holes in the team and it's the GM's job to fix it.

Did we even plug the gaping hole at G in FA? I haven’t paid that much attention this offseason but going into this season with the same hole on a shuffled line, and piss poor WR depth just raises so many questions as to what the plan is. It just looks like outside being bad enough to take Harrison, just looks like we made half assed attempts to improve some holes both sides of the ball and zero attempt to improve the biggest hole on the team (pass rush).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Did we even plug the gaping hole at G in FA? I haven’t paid that much attention this offseason but going into this season with the same hole on a shuffled line, and piss poor WR depth just raises so many questions as to what the plan is. It just looks like outside being bad enough to take Harrison, just looks like we made half assed attempts to improve some holes both sides of the ball and zero attempt to improve the biggest hole on the team (pass rush).
yeah we signed a guard...like 8mil a year kinda guard...and we signed an OT... then we drafted a guard and an OT

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Despite what many say around here, we could have improved our chances this year without mortgaging our future. Instead we're sitting here with massive holes and waiting for Godot every offseason. Next year will be the year, trust us!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I'm perfectly happy with our WR depth. I don't really get why people are banging their heads against the wall on this unless they're just bored of mentioning that we're awful at edge and potentially, if everything works out as hoped, maybe below-average at corner.

Did we even plug the gaping hole at G in FA?
Evan Brown has 40 pro starts and was on one of the worst offensive lines in football last year but could also be the next Froholdt so let's see.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score

That opinion of the offensive line may be true, but I will not accept Dan Bickley's take on any sports. He definitely knows less than the other radio hosts about football, and his promo states that he is "provocative", which is all he has ever tried to do since he started in Phoenix as a newspaper sports reporter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy with our WR depth. I don't really get why people are banging their heads against the wall on this unless they're just bored of mentioning that we're awful at edge and potentially, if everything works out as hoped, maybe below-average at corner.

Evan Brown has 40 pro starts and was on one of the worst offensive lines in football last year but could also be the next Froholdt so let's see.
Oh right… Brown. That seems like a half-assed attempt but they did get the best out of Fro, so hopefully that’s the same here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh right… Brown. That seems like a half-assed attempt but they did get the best out of Fro, so hopefully that’s the same here.

The OG market was red-hot this offseason. I heard on some podcasts that some people were saying that OG is actually more important than OT now, which is deranged and hilarious.

If Evan Brown and Jonah Williams are the worst players on your offensive line, you can probably still have a good offense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky