15 thoughts - Broncos game + final roster

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I realize that this column will be outdated tomorrow. Oh well, can’t win them all.

2 – If you think this game was irrelevant, keep in mind that many of the players will end up playing one, two or many significant snaps for your favorite team. They might very well be the deciding factor between a win or loss in a certain game. Many of them will be signed to the Cards’ practice squad, and from there they will have many chances to fight their way onto the game roster, and then we are back to my first point.

3 – Cam Thomas have been great the last two preseason games. Yes, I wrote that. Dominating.

4 – I like that several players have stepped up in two or three preseason games. “Everyone” can have a great game, but showing it repeatedly is what separate players.

5 – Xavier Weaver looks likely to make the final roster. Because of the stupid suspension to Zay Jones (come on, Goodell, show a little faith in the legal system instead of always thinking that you can do everything better) there is obviously room for an additional WR on the roster. Not only does Weaver return kicks, but he clearly has abilities in the passing game. Supposedly he also had a great training camp.

6 – I am not sure if either Tune or Ridder have shown enough to be Plan B. Rumors has it that they will sign a new guy (look out for a trade for Jacoby Brissett, if Ossenfort can get the prize down far enough).

7 – The first half was another tough, tough experience for Christian Jones, but he got a lot better in the second half where he was moved to the left side.

8 – Jesse Luketa have look good in all three games. Coupled with his great special teams ability, that could earn him a roster spot.

9 – If Ossenfort picks up someone cut from another team, which position group will it be at? I am going with defensive line, but in reality, I think it is difficult to find that many open spots overall.

10 – I think that edge rusher Chris Garrett makes the team. He flashed on several plays, and being the reigning UFL Special Teams Player of the Year should open a door for him. By the way, take notice that he got a contract with more than league minimum salary. That is pretty rare and could give a little signal.

11 – Jon Gaines looks lost out there.

12 – DT Naquan Jones have done some good things this preseason. Him and Phil Hoskins showed some promise and could be practice squad-options.

13 – Darren Hall reminds me of Dre Kirkpatrick in the sense that he is so fun to watch. He wins some, he loses some, but he gives his all on every play. I really like him.

14 – Andre Baccellia is another one of my guys. He has impressed for three games straight.

15 – I dream that Ossenfort can trade one or more fringe players for late round picks. But I am also a draft nerd, so go figure.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we really end up trading for a back up QB then the QB room is Monti's first glaring mistake. Why did we ever trade Dobbs away?

he is the perfect QB to get you through 3 games if Kyler gets an ankle rolled up on. If starting QB goes down for the season then your season is toast anyway but Dobbs is perfect for 3 games.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
5 – Xavier Weaver looks likely to make the final roster. Because of the stupid suspension to Zay Jones (come on, Goodell, show a little faith in the legal system instead of always thinking that you can do everything better)
Stupid suspension? Do you have any insider insight to know what the NFL was able to learn in their investigation?

Pda4976

Reaction score
I’m happy with the NFL with his suspension. The criminal justice system has become a joke. Many places don’t even report crimes any longer, let alone prosecute them.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
6 – I am not sure if either Tune or Ridder have shown enough to be Plan B. Rumors has it that they will sign a new guy (look out for a trade for Jacoby Brissett, if Ossenfort can get the prize down far enough).
If Jerod Mayo is being honest, Brissett will not be available for trade as he claims the competition between Maye and Brissett is close and he hasn't named a starter yet. I can't imagine he lets Brissett go if it's that close.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we really end up trading for a back up QB then the QB room is Monti's first glaring mistake. Why did we ever trade Dobbs away?
ZF, I must say that I disagree. Finding good enough quarterbacks is arguably the most difficult thing to do as a general manager. NFL history is full of general managers that have failed in that search. And, in my opinion, Dobbs was fine for a couple of games, but the second that teams started having video on him and could prepare more detailed to attack him, he had no chance.

If starting QB goes down for the season then your season is toast anyway but Dobbs is perfect for 3 games.
Well, that is why having a good enough backup is so extremely important. Brissett is a lot better than Dobbs, and I would not automatically expect the season to be completely lost if Brissett had to step in for Murray. Brissett is better than several current starting quarterbacks.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Stupid suspension? Do you have any insider insight to know what the NFL was able to learn in their investigation?
No, AC, that was not what I meant. I apologize for giving that impression. My point was that it kind of annoys me that the NFL thinks that they are much smarter than the judicial system. In my opinion, it is a bit disrespectful to just ignore the law and the rulings by legal authorities.

However, I am not saying that the NFL cannot be right in their research. It is the approach that bothers me.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keep in mind these players who participate in yesterdays game was going up against 2nd and 3rd string guys.
I would think if Thomas is going to make the team he SHOULD look good.
Yes, Slanidrac, I completely agree, but not many does it, and yet they still make the team.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Jerod Mayo is being honest, Brissett will not be available for trade as he claims the competition between Maye and Brissett is close and he hasn't named a starter yet. I can't imagine he lets Brissett go if it's that close.
That is true, Cardpa. Though I did read yesterday (I think it was) that he admitted that Maye was further ahead in the race.

It's just that high draft picks always play. Coaches always says that it is a competition (and I actually do believe that they would want it to be), but in the end, the rookie always win. I think it is partly because of the pressure from everywhere - front office, owner, fans - that makes the coaches play the hotshot. Also, Joe Milton has actually look very impressive in the preseason, from what I have read, so it would seem reasonable to me if they wanted to get some ressources out of Brissett by selling him.

P.S. Yes, I know that the Packers are the outlier.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, AC, that was not what I meant. I apologize for giving that impression. My point was that it kind of annoys me that the NFL thinks that they are much smarter than the judicial system. In my opinion, it is a bit disrespectful to just ignore the law and the rulings by legal authorities.

However, I am not saying that the NFL cannot be right in their research. It is the approach that bothers me.
God forbid the NFL actually have high standards when it comes to their players possibly beating up women.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
God forbid the NFL actually have high standards when it comes to their players possibly beating up women.
I want to add that I believe women. I'm not the type to make the argument that a lot of women lie or anything close to that.

But he could be innocent based on the charges being dropped. And he should get the benefit of the doubt in the NFL just like he did in the justice system.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And he should get the benefit of the doubt in the NFL just like he did in the justice system.
Why? Our jobs, professional relationships, and personal relationships can and should have higher standards and consequences than the justice system.

Playing in the NFL is a privilege. No one is impinging on your natural rights by depriving you of that privilege.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Compared to what? Never seen our first string, seen very little other teams first string players, got our ass kicked by Denver. Our new best hopes on defense , pass rush both out to start the year.

Am not a fan of a soft camp, or not preparing the entire team in the preseason. The first game is just as im[octant as the last - maybe more so- think buffaloes is less ready? Or we just out talent them enough to compete?

Time will tell, if you sweep all the poo in the corner and cover it with a rug, it still stinks.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Compared to what? Never seen our first string, seen very little other teams first string players, got our ass kicked by Denver. Our new best hopes on defense , pass rush both out to start the year.

Am not a fan of a soft camp, or not preparing the entire team in the preseason. The first game is just as im[octant as the last - maybe more so- think buffaloes is less ready? Or we just out talent them enough to compete?

Time will tell, if you sweep all the poo in the corner and cover it with a rug, it still stinks.
out talent them?? Nah, no way.

but out scheme them?? absofuckinlutely!

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I’m happy with the NFL with his suspension. The criminal justice system has become a joke. Many places don’t even report crimes any longer, let alone prosecute them.
I can assure you 100% this is not the case with DV matters. The state receives financial incentive for reporting, prosecuting, etc. It’s all set forth in the 1994 VAWA.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I can assure you 100% this is not the case with DV matters. The state receives financial incentive for reporting, prosecuting, etc. It’s all set forth in the 1994 VAWA.
My dude, if you believe that overreporting of DV matters is a bigger problem than under reporting, that's a reflection of your own bias.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
My dude, if you believe that overreporting of DV matters is a bigger problem than under reporting, that's a reflection of your own bias.
Well- what are we talking about here? Are you referring to someone not filing a report/reporting DV (which encompasses more than just assault btw; DV is a “tag” that can be assigned to literally any crime, provided the criteria for said tag is met), or are you referring to police and other agencies of the state/gov underreporting DV???

I believe the original post I was replying to was inferring that police/state agencies were underreporting crimes, which is what my reference was to…..

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Well- what are we talking about here? Are you referring to someone not filing a report/reporting DV (which encompasses more than just assault btw; DV is a “tag” that can be assigned to literally any crime, provided the criteria for said tag is met), or are you referring to police and other agencies of the state/gov underreporting DV???

I believe the original post I was replying to was inferring that police/state agencies were underreporting crimes, which is what my reference was to…..
My point is that perpetrators of domestic violence are rarely punished, for a variety of reasons: